The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 January 2020, 06:56 AM   #1
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Building relationship with AD / Building my collection over time

So, I bought my first Rolex (preowned DJII 116334 blue,oyster,fluted). I love it and wear it everyday. Though, I want to a collection over time.

I want to build a relationship with my local AD. Closest AD is Ben Bridge in Thousand Oaks, CA.

How exactly do I build a relationship with them? I feel like If I chit chat then drop my wish list they will just laugh at me. If I go in there with my DJ they might ask where I bought it and when I say it's pre-owned I feel like they will look down at me. lol

I want to just say like I understand this will take years to build this collection but it's a journey for me and I'm willing to wait and get them piece by piece instead of buying pre-owned/grey market.

Here is the collection I want:

Submariner Black (116610LN)
Submariner Hulk (116610LV)
Daytona Panda (116500LN)
GMT Batman (126710BLNR)

Any advice/recommendations is appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Santiago32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 07:02 AM   #2
NWNL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228235 ROMAN WHITE
Start with buying a lot of other brands, jewellery and gold models ...
NWNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 07:04 AM   #3
McinRolex
"TRF" Member

Ben Bridge has a policy where they can only offer you 1 SS sports model per year.

So let's say you got a Sub today, next piece is going to take at least a year to put you on the list.
McinRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 07:06 AM   #4
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McinRolex View Post
Ben Bridge has a policy where they can only offer you 1 SS sports model per year.

So let's say you got a Sub today, next piece is going to take at least a year to put you on the list.
And that's fine. I mean I expect it to be a journey and won't happen over night.

Do you know if Ben Bridge has a policy where they want me to spend money on non-rolex stuff?
Old 9 January 2020, 07:07 AM   #5
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Maybe try going into the store on a regular basis and just discuss watches without asking to be added to the list for a hot model. After establishing this more personal relationship and showing them your interest in watches, then express interest in specific models. Who knows, maybe they will ask you what you want next before you ask them.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 07:08 AM   #6
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I would avoid Ben Bridge. Their network is huge and over the years I've purchased at least 8 watches and the best I've ever been offered was a 126711 CHNR.

And above post is correct that you can only get one a year.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 07:12 AM   #7
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago32 View Post
And that's fine. I mean I expect it to be a journey and won't happen over night.

Do you know if Ben Bridge has a policy where they want me to spend money on non-rolex stuff?
From what I understand every non-Rolex purchase made "counts" towards your purchase history and the SA is then able to make a case for you on why you deserve the next one you're on the list for.

So when they receive a BLNR, all the SA will pick their "best" client and then beg the manager to let them sell it based on whatever sales history their client has.

But the once a year thing actually makes it more fair, I guess. I hit the one year mark in about a week so we'll see if I get offered anything.

Good luck and keep us posted!
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 07:16 AM   #8
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
The best way to develop a relationship with an AD is to get to know the owner. Of course, you have to buy jewelry and other items from them. The point is be a good customer and make sure the owner knows you. Good luck.
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 07:19 AM   #9
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
The best way to develop a relationship with an AD is to get to know the owner. Of course, you have to buy jewelry and other items from them. The point is be a good customer and make sure the owner knows you. Good luck.
I feel like I would have better chances meeting the owner at a more Boutique AD then a Ben Bridge. I could be wrong though...

Anyone have AD recommendations in the greater LA area?
Old 9 January 2020, 07:20 AM   #10
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
OP will never meet the owner of the Ben Bridge chain.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 07:22 AM   #11
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
What does build over time mean?

Your shopping list could get all those in a few days from the same TS who'd likely give you a very good deal.

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 07:22 AM   #12
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Not to sound negative but your chances are probably as good as hitting the lotto. I’m in the same boat, I live in nyc where I just can’t compete with the big fish at an AD. Plus all you want are the ss sports models like everyone else so why would they sell to you with no history? Instead of trying to build a relationship and possibly wasting thousands of dollars on buying something you may not want, you might as well choose one watch that you really want and go grey.

But it doesn’t hurt to go to multiple AD’s and try to talk to them. It seems to work for people, at least here on TRF. Good luck.
Old 9 January 2020, 07:25 AM   #13
89Sem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
I can understand building a relationship and buying other goods but in today’s world it doesn’t matter how much you are willing to spend. There will always be someone who makes more money, spends more money and will be a more valued customer than yourself. Especially in locations such as LA.
89Sem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 07:45 AM   #14
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Daytona Panda (116500LN)
GMT Batman (126710BLNR)
Without meaning to sound rude, if that is your shopping list you’re not a unique/desirable prospective client. You’re one of thousands of people with the exact same ‘flippers list’ (whether or not that’s your plan, that’s how it will invariably come across to a SA) and they don’t need another ‘relationship’ to sell these watches.

As others have said, you need to add other brands and/or jewellery to your list otherwise you’re likely ending up in the “here comes another one” category.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 07:59 AM   #15
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
I tried this it didn’t work well at all. After 75-80k I didn’t get one hard to acquire piece. Your better off buying gray or finding a smaller Ad. Oh and also buy some diamonds your chances will be much better with that
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 08:04 AM   #16
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
What does build over time mean?

Your shopping list could get all those in a few days from the same TS who'd likely give you a very good deal.

Agreed. OP you purchased your first Rolex preowned. Why the switch?
Old 9 January 2020, 08:15 AM   #17
rex311
Banned

Quote:

It is really nice that you have this mindset, most people don’t. Kudos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rex311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 08:18 AM   #18
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
So, I bought my first Rolex (preowned DJII 116334 blue,oyster,fluted). I love it and wear it everyday. Though, I want to a collection over time.

I want to build a relationship with my local AD. Closest AD is Ben Bridge in Thousand Oaks, CA.

How exactly do I build a relationship with them? I feel like If I chit chat then drop my wish list they will just laugh at me. If I go in there with my DJ they might ask where I bought it and when I say it's pre-owned I feel like they will look down at me. lol

I want to just say like I understand this will take years to build this collection but it's a journey for me and I'm willing to wait and get them piece by piece instead of buying pre-owned/grey market.

Daytona Panda (116500LN)
GMT Batman (126710BLNR)

You have a long, tough journey ahead.....and prepare to own plenty of gold pieces and random jewellery in the process.....I hope you have very deep pockets
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 08:26 AM   #19
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Agreed. OP you purchased your first Rolex preowned. Why the switch?

I bought my DJ preowned because it was priced well below MSRP in mint condition.

With the models I mentioned they are all selling at above MSRP preowned or grey. It would not sit well with me to know that I purchased above MSRP. I feel like it’s just throwing away money. I’d rather wait and enjoy buying them at MSRP from a dealer as they come even if it takes a lot longer. Like I said, I’m viewing this as a journey.

Having said that, if one of these pieces do popup at or under MSRP preowned/grey. I will def consider. But that is unlikely

Old 9 January 2020, 08:27 AM   #20
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Daytona Panda (116500LN)
GMT Batman (126710BLNR)

Go with a TS on this site. You will avoid all the AD BS and have what you desire in a short amount of time.
Littletommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 08:47 AM   #21
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'm afraid what you're asking is a tall order. The fact that you didn't buy the DJ from them will already set you back. The only way you will be offered one of the pieces on your list is to have significant purchase history of jewelry and/or non-desirable Rolex (other brand watches).
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 09:00 AM   #22
Ssunnylee24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
My local Ben Bridge sales guy told me to purchase a $10k diamond jewelry to be on the "list" for any desired SS models.
Ssunnylee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 09:27 AM   #23
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP

I really hate to break it to you - but the real days of building relationships with ADs and Boutiques are over. Unless you are prepared to drop some serious coin (which to get a modern reference of ANY brand isn’t worth it— just get with a TS here) Especially with that list. ADs get calls, emails, and visits for those references more often than they want - and they have a hard time filling the ‘orders’ they already have in the queue.

You’ve referenced every hot reference out there - minus the Sub date - but even that one is tough right now.

I encourage you to try but again, that’s a tall order. Best of luck. If it was me - I’d buy another brand they sell - perhaps with some jewelry - lobby for the 116610LN....then go from there.

Good luck!!

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 09:32 AM   #24
blankapdx
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssunnylee24 View Post
My local Ben Bridge sales guy told me to purchase a $10k diamond jewelry to be on the "list" for any desired SS models.
Wow! Being in LA, I thought you would have to spend more. I'm in a small city and my local BB requires $50k purchase history to be on the "list" for the DaytonaC.
blankapdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 09:33 AM   #25
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
In my experience, you need to spend a certain amount of $ and develop a relationship with a salesperson. From what I understand management decides which highly sought after pieces get allocated to each salesperson, so you need to develop that relationship so that salesperson goes to bat for you with management. Or of course you can befriend management.
Old 9 January 2020, 09:34 AM   #26
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Wow!

$10k rings.

$50k in purchase...

Pretty soon it'll be drop, bend and cough?
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 09:48 AM   #27
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
You are going to either waste your money or waste your time.

Avoid all of that, and go to reputable gray dealers, it will saves you time and money.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 09:52 AM   #28
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Your logic escapes me. Why spend tens of thousands of dollars to build a relationship so you can spend tens of thousands of dollars on watches?

Why not spend much less on a grey and get your watches without waiting. A Trusted Seller like OCrolexguy in LA can help you out. PM him.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 09:54 AM   #29
89Sem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
A thing I will add is that a relationship with an SA is also hit or miss. What if you buy from one and they’re a newer employee, they’re not going to get the hard to get pieces. The SA that’s been bringing in hundreds of thousands over the last 10 years will get to sell the Daytona to his VIP customer. You just wasted a couple of years and tens of thousands of dollars buying jewelry.

Save time and money and go the other routes mentioned previously.
89Sem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 10:42 AM   #30
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littletommy View Post
Go with a TS on this site. You will avoid all the AD BS and have what you desire in a short amount of time.

Thanks. I will pay a premium to get them from a TS here.

It sounds like I would have to pay a premium through an AD as well via other jewelry or watches.