The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 February 2020, 06:09 AM   #1
Randomgary
"TRF" Member

Incoming, BLRO

Hey all,

I'm finally writing my incoming post. After my last previous post I've been called many things ( https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=706633 ) like troll, dillusional ect..... what I have been is honest and truthful throughout.

A few are genuinely interested in how I found myself to be receiving a BLRO in 7 months despite no history, the truth is I met a passionate, honest and completely authentic Sales Assistant. Yes! they really exist.

My story really starts of 7 months ago when I decided to set in action my 3 year plan (I had been watching luxury timepieces for absolute years but for different reasons I had never purchased, I will elaborate further later on). I travel alot with work and I decided I would start to make myself familiar with any AD's I passed. I managed to build my journey around a dealership one day (they have requested to remain anonymous) and the discusson around SS started as they always had ie how huge interest was , how many calls per day they recieve and how unrealistic waiting lists were even if my name was taken. TBH this was a breath of fresh air and felt like I was receiving a realistic insight to the current buying market.

I said something along the lines of, "I'm really grateful for your time and realistic expectations, (and with a smile) however I might still call in when I next pass just to see if the market has changed."

The AD replied "I look forward to it Gary, and I hope you will be of the crutches next time we meet"

Now I'm visibly disabled, I use crutches for all mobility, I replied ,hopefully humoursly, that it would be a miracle as I've been using them 6 years with no end in sight.

At this moment he said "I'm sorry to hear that, I will remember you as Gary, from Ireland. I was just in Belfast where are you from?"

When he heard "outskirts of Belfast he was taken aback. "I could not understand the Belfast accent, you sound nothing like it"

I disclosed at this point that I was a public speaker now living in England and a natural unforced conversation happened with me disclosing that during my sessions I talk about both my experiences within the British Army, and also my journey of suffering a life changing injury, being a team Captain in the Invictus Games and ultimately moving away from forces life.

He listened intently, finally asking me "what watch are you interested in, and why?"

I replied "The BLRO. In my job within the British Army I was a Forward Observer. My teams role was to call in all the big bangs on the battlefield (artillery, rockets, attack helicopters, jets) in my world accurate timing is critical! not optional. Genuinely I didn't want to take the risk of a very expensive timepiece to have it obliterated by a £5 homemade explosive device. Therefore accuracy is paramount.

In my role we worked on two time zones, local and Zulu (home time) the GMT function is a perfect nod to this. In the past I often had zulu on watch and local on GPS.

Colours are my regimental colours, upside down but I can live with that. We wore a tactical recognition flash to indicate who we were, this flash was our identity.

And finally I had received a significant award during my service, the ceramic BLRO colours matched perfectly the colours of the award."

I said that I had recently passed on a chance to purchase another brands offer of creating a bespoke piece capturing my service details and award as I felt it was token where as this feels like it will have sentimental value.

He replied "How do I know this is true?".

I handed him my business card and said "it is open source public information."

He looked me right in the eye and said words to the effect of "I will get you that watch in 6 months."

After quite some time of transactional conversations with ADs I had finally met the right person. I'd never spoken about my past before to try to get a place in line, this was a natural conversation completely unforced.

I am delighted to take this not into my families possession, I'm merely a custodian until the time comes for one of my kids take over it.

I know, it's a long story but I did promise to tell the circumstances if the watch did arrive.

Thank you to all those who sent hopeful posts. The good people of the forum.

Thanks for reading, Gary

PS, I'm on pain medication that inhibits my brains ability to communicate with myself or generate text that's easily understood. Please let me know if any part of this story makes no sense and I will have a go at re writing it.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Randomgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 06:15 AM   #2
P1nky_Up
"TRF" Member

Congrats! That is an awesome story. I know when I read your initial post, I was dumbfounded by the time frame, but I kept seeing your updates stating they AD still kept to their time frame when you checked in. I am glad you were able to receive the watch, it appears that it fits you well in many ways. Enjoy!
P1nky_Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 06:23 AM   #3
Bowen73
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough yet
Congratulations and all the best
Bowen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 06:23 AM   #4
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Awesome Gary, well done and well deserved.

That pic with Her Majesty is incredible, better than any watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 06:28 AM   #5
Michael V
Banned

Watch: SD43
Great post and well written. Glad you got the watch you wanted.
Michael V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 06:32 AM   #6
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Heck yeah!!!!

PS - Have family in the Northern part of Southern Ireland and also Northern Ireland. They got me into Gaelic football.

Visited them twice over the last two years. Did the whole Game of Thrones location tours etc in Northern Ireland.

Good times.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 06:35 AM   #7
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Congrats Gary

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 06:41 AM   #8
Aish
"TRF" Member

Watch: me at the top!
That was a really inspirational story Gary and the honors you have received trump most of what any of us common folks will ever achieve. I wish you great health and Congratulations on the amazing watch.
Aish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 06:49 AM   #9
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Wow, what a story. Im really happy for you. Congrats!
The photo with the Queen is the best !!!
Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 06:51 AM   #10
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Pretty damn cool, Gary. Congrats on the grail and enjoy it for many years.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 06:52 AM   #11
calishine
Banned

That’s a hell of story and life lived Gary.

Thank you for sharing and congrats on the watch!
calishine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 06:53 AM   #12
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Never doubted your original post all the opposite.
Glad you got your BLRO. Don’t understand people thinking that everyone should wait light years before getting a watch. If it took 7 months for your AD to get you a BLRO and to some that sounded unreal then what would they think of me if I tell them that I got the call after one month and I’m able to get it anytime again with no more than a month of wait. No purchase history back then by the way.
Congrats again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomgary View Post
Hey all,

I'm finally writing my incoming post. After my last previous post I've been called many things ( https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=706633 ) like troll, dillusional ect..... what I have been is honest and truthful throughout.

A few are genuinely interested in how I found myself to be receiving a BLRO in 7 months despite no history, the truth is I met a passionate, honest and completely authentic Sales Assistant. Yes! they really exist.

My story really starts of 7 months ago when I decided to set in action my 3 year plan (I had been watching luxury timepieces for absolute years but for different reasons I had never purchased, I will elaborate further later on). I travel alot with work and I decided I would start to make myself familiar with any AD's I passed. I managed to build my journey around a dealership one day (they have requested to remain anonymous) and the discusson around SS started as they always had ie how huge interest was , how many calls per day they recieve and how unrealistic waiting lists were even if my name was taken. TBH this was a breath of fresh air and felt like I was receiving a realistic insight to the current buying market.

I said something along the lines of, "I'm really grateful for your time and realistic expectations, (and with a smile) however I might still call in when I next pass just to see if the market has changed."

The AD replied "I look forward to it Gary, and I hope you will be of the crutches next time we meet"

Now I'm visibly disabled, I use crutches for all mobility, I replied ,hopefully humoursly, that it would be a miracle as I've been using them 6 years with no end in sight.

At this moment he said "I'm sorry to hear that, I will remember you as Gary, from Ireland. I was just in Belfast where are you from?"

When he heard "outskirts of Belfast he was taken aback. "I could not understand the Belfast accent, you sound nothing like it"

I disclosed at this point that I was a public speaker now living in England and a natural unforced conversation happened with me disclosing that during my sessions I talk about both my experiences within the British Army, and also my journey of suffering a life changing injury, being a team Captain in the Invictus Games and ultimately moving away from forces life.

He listened intently, finally asking me "what watch are you interested in, and why?"

I replied "The BLRO. In my job within the British Army I was a Forward Observer. My teams role was to call in all the big bangs on the battlefield (artillery, rockets, attack helicopters, jets) in my world accurate timing is critical! not optional. Genuinely I didn't want to take the risk of a very expensive timepiece to have it obliterated by a £5 homemade explosive device. Therefore accuracy is paramount.

In my role we worked on two time zones, local and Zulu (home time) the GMT function is a perfect nod to this. In the past I often had zulu on watch and local on GPS.

Colours are my regimental colours, upside down but I can live with that. We wore a tactical recognition flash to indicate who we were, this flash was our identity.

And finally I had received a significant award during my service, the ceramic BLRO colours matched perfectly the colours of the award."

I said that I had recently passed on a chance to purchase another brands offer of creating a bespoke piece capturing my service details and award as I felt it was token where as this feels like it will have sentimental value.

He replied "How do I know this is true?".

I handed him my business card and said "it is open source public information."

He looked me right in the eye and said words to the effect of "I will get you that watch in 6 months."

After quite some time of transactional conversations with ADs I had finally met the right person. I'd never spoken about my past before to try to get a place in line, this was a natural conversation completely unforced.

I am delighted to take this not into my families possession, I'm merely a custodian until the time comes for one of my kids take over it.

I know, it's a long story but I did promise to tell the circumstances if the watch did arrive.

Thank you to all those who sent hopeful posts. The good people of the forum.

Thanks for reading, Gary

PS, I'm on pain medication that inhibits my brains ability to communicate with myself or generate text that's easily understood. Please let me know if any part of this story makes no sense and I will have a go at re writing it.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Old 4 February 2020, 06:55 AM   #13
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
Congratulations! Wear in good health and enjoy the BLRO!
Raypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 06:56 AM   #14
Burnettwatches
Banned

nice watch congrats
Burnettwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 06:57 AM   #15
F17RUK
"TRF" Member

Congrats legend status!
F17RUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 06:58 AM   #16
Gary.
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. I'm very glad that the watch went to you rather than the flippers and grey dealers that ADs look after. I also hope that you one day get to look at it without the fog of painkillers.
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 06:58 AM   #17
Watchflair

Watch: Love em all
That's awesome - thanks for sharing and congratulations! I'm glad you ran into the right sales person.
Old 4 February 2020, 06:58 AM   #18
Alex6340
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, PP 5167
Congratulations !!!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 4 February 2020, 07:00 AM   #19
T-Bag
"TRF" Member

Congratulations. Someday I will join the club
T-Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 07:02 AM   #20
Smols
"TRF" Member

Great stuff. Congratulations!
Smols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 07:03 AM   #21
Cocochu
"TRF" Member

Congratulations Gary, wear it in good health!

Cocochu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 07:04 AM   #22
SDR581
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR 116610LN DJ41
Congrats!!! And thanks for serving...
There were those of us who are sending positive thoughts. Wear it in good health!!

Some day.....My AD will call too!
SDR581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 07:05 AM   #23
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Great story! Enjoy the BLRO, congratulations!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 07:06 AM   #24
ag986

Watch: 16233, First Rolex
That's a terrific story, Congratulations on the new watch!
ag986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 07:09 AM   #25
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Nice one Gary. Love it.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 07:11 AM   #26
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
Congratulations! Great history, thanks for posting.
Old 4 February 2020, 07:17 AM   #27
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Congratulations and great back story!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 07:21 AM   #28
Scott Cali
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C Date
Great story Gary, I was rooting for you and something about your original post made me feel like it was going to happen....so glad it did :)
Scott Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 07:24 AM   #29
Mmols23
"TRF" Member

Awesome! Congrats!
Mmols23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2020, 07:28 AM   #30
Dybala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega, ML
Enjoy, you deserve it!!
Dybala is offline   Reply With Quote