The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 March 2020, 08:47 PM   #1
_Horology_
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Tudor Black Bay 32

Hi,
First post here, great forum.

Thinking of buying my daughter a Black Bay 32 for a university graduation gift. I have a Tudor myself, Prince date chronograph and I absolutely love it, so the brand is not in question.

Has anybody got any reviews or recommendations on this particular watch, dial colour etc, can’t seem to find many. Or any other ideas of a nice watch to buy for her. Love the Rolex OP in the smaller size too, little bit expensive though.
Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.
_Horology_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 09:36 PM   #2
alwinnng
"TRF" Member

Get a used Rolex op34 would be better

Bb32 looks good, but then it runs on ETA movement..I've got the BB41 in black though, blue looks better
alwinnng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 10:05 PM   #3
goliat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwinnng View Post
Get a used Rolex op34 would be better

Bb32 looks good, but then it runs on ETA movement..I've got the BB41 in black though, blue looks better
Don't see why having an ETA movement would be a drawback in any case. They're fairly accurate and significantly cheaper to service than pretty much anything else.
goliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 11:15 PM   #4
O BZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
I'd possibly go for the 36 instead depending on her wrist. I find the blue dial looks more vibrant in person & the black more sterile but to each their own taste. I'd suggest going into the biggest AD selling Tudor & look at their range. I say bigger as they'd have more selection. Nothing wrong with ETA but would prefer an in-house movement. All Tudors have a 5 year warranty now too. Stick with new imo if you can get a good deal especially. 2019 Tudors have 3.5 year warranty(2 yr initial + 1.5 yr extended) incase you go that route & a 2018 or earlier is 2 year warranty so will already be done.
Maybe take her into an AD & say you're looking for a new watch for yourself & see if anything catches her eye. Let her try on some pieces with you. Make a day of it & take her out to lunch. Or do the lunch thing & unexpectedly(wink wink) walk past an AD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz9ulg43R3E
O BZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 01:46 AM   #5
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

I gave my wife one (black dial) she loves it. She uses it more then her diamond DJ. I think it looks more classy and it flyes under the rader without being boring. Dont know her wrist size but must be under '6 with her 115pounds. If a 36 exp is to big the 32 tudor is a great option.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 01:52 AM   #6
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
I think that's a fantastic idea. The smaller sized Tudor's (<36mm) don't get much attention, they're not popular amongst the watch enthusiast crowd. But they're still great watches, perfect for a young woman.

Someone already suggested a second hand OP34, and this is something to consider, if second hand is an option for this gift.

If you buy the Tudor mint second hand, you'll save a bunch of money and have a great watch.

You may want to bring her into the decision, even if it might ruin the surprise a bit. Above all, you want her to have a watch she likes and will wear for many years. That will last long after the surprise is gone. She can also decide if second hand is something she'd consider. I don't know the prices, but she may be able to get a second hand Rolex OP for the same price as a new Tudor BB.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 02:18 AM   #7
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
I think the 32mm with the steel bracelet and blue dial is a gorgeous little watch. Elegantly understated. A great alternative would be a Datejust 31mm but you are talking about doubling the budget. I got my wife one recently - pink dial on the oyster bracelet with a smooth bezel. She absolutely adores it.

Personally I think the Tudor is a great little watch and the brand is definitely strong with a younger audience these days.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 02:30 AM   #8
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwinnng View Post

but then it runs on ETA movement..

ETA is a company that focus on making ebauches and complete movements since the late 1800s. Before the idea of Rolex was even conceived. In the modern age their high grade variants are the workhorses behind many luxury watches that meet and exceed standards.

OP. The blue dial would be my choice but it’s really up to your daughters taste
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 03:28 AM   #9
samson66
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Agree with the comments on going for a 36 mm instead of 32
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 04:07 AM   #10
alwinnng
"TRF" Member

Hahaha yes I know having ETA isn't something bad. It's reliable accurate and cheaper to service. I own the BB41 with ETA as well. Other than the short power reserve, all is good.

But if can stretch it for used op34 with in house Rolex movement, definitely better
alwinnng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 04:24 AM   #11
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Great idea. But -- not to rain on your parade -- are you sure she'll wear it? I bought my daughter a watch for her graduation, thinking she'd want it for her classroom since she was entering the teaching profession. But I don't think she's ever worn it past the first week. It wasn't a very expensive watch (not Rolex or Tudor) but still a higher-end quartz.

The next generation seems to live and die by their phones and many don't really have a watch on their radar as something they'd use.

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 06:23 AM   #12
Santiago79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner a
Sounds like a great idea, Im sure she will love it. Great watch
Santiago79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2020, 11:14 PM   #13
_Horology_
"TRF" Member

Thanks for help.
If money was no object then yes, a Rolex OP in the 31mm would be my ideal choice. She had slim wrists so 32/32 is perfect I think. I would like it to be new watch purchased from my local Rolex AD who would make a fuss about her getting it. All part of the experience. It took me a long long time before I was really able to appreciate what a Rolex was all about, I’m glad I’ve gone through various brands and styles until I was able to afford a Rolex. So I also think that buying her a Tudor (Rolex family) would be a fantastic start for her, no doubt one day in the future she may be able to buy, if she wanted too, one for herself but I think maybe she’s too young to start of on one. A Tudor is perfect I think. She’s aware of my Tudor, she thinks it’s really cool! ��
Black Bay it will be I think. Maybe I’ll arrange with the AD to have both colours in and she can choose. She might also get a little glass of champagne!
Thanks all
Old 5 March 2020, 08:19 AM   #14
O BZ
"TRF" Member

All the best mate! Have a fabulous time most of all. you're lucky to have eachother
Old 5 March 2020, 10:48 AM   #15
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
ETA movements are workhorses 2824 and 7750 to mention a few great ones.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2020, 10:53 AM   #16
winst
"TRF" Member

Ive got the blue dial 41 - lovely colour that changes with the light. I think a 32 would be a great watch for your daughter and Tudor seem to have a strong image with younger generations.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2020, 11:08 AM   #17
_Horology_
"TRF" Member

Spanner in the works, thoughts on the S & G version!
Old 5 March 2020, 12:27 PM   #18
O BZ
"TRF" Member

this one? love it but in same price range as OP, might be a little big at 41 & heavier withe gold cap.