The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 March 2020, 06:07 AM   #1
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Icon5 Collection advice

Hello all!

After a big consolidation a couple years ago of non-Rolex pieces, I then caught the flipping bug and have been moving through a series of Rolex's (and other brands), having anywhere from 3-5 watches at a given time. For this post I'll focus just on Rolex, but have owned many watches from other houses (Omega, Breitling, Tudor, JLC, IWC)

Another piece will be leaving my collection right now that will leave me with just one Rolex. The piece that will remain is my SD43.

Watches I have owned from Rolex: 116610LN SubC date, 39mm Exp I, 42mm Polar Exp II, 16610 sub, Milgauss, DJ41

So, a few questions for the forum faithful:

1. I've been waiting patiently for over a year for a call from my AD for the BLRO. I've been told that 2020 is my year, but with the current situation who knows. What other watches would you consider adding? I don't have much use for dress watches, prefer sport pieces.

2. I have been thinking that while I love my SD43, I don't love it any more than I did my SubC, which cost significantly less and was lighter and more comfortable. Have been considering flipping the SD43 back into a SubC plus some cash back in my watch fund. Will this be a move that I'll regret?

3. Would you prefer a collection of 3 Rolex's, including a 114060 SubC, 42mm Polar Exp II, and 126710BLRO pepsi gmt. Or a 2 Rolex pair of the SD43 and Pepsi GMT?

I know I already owned the Polar, but it was a great watch I loved, I just moved it to fund something else. I generally have a rule against reacquiring pieces I've already owned, because I usually got rid of them for a reason that I'm currently forgetting...

Go with my gut, I know. But curious what others looking in might think!
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 06:12 AM   #2
antelope
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
3 is better than 2.
antelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 06:30 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s a tough call Frank. For Rolex, I currently own the Submariner, BLRO, and SD43.

I can see where you’re coming from regrading the comfort and wearability ... the SD43 really has become a weekend wearer for me. I don’t find it uncomfortable by any stretch, but I’m definitely ready to give my wrist a break after I wear it for a whole day. The Submariner and of course the BLRO, are just so easy to wear by comparison YMMV.

I can’t give you any advice, but that’s my experience with those three
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 07:10 AM   #4
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
It’s a tough call Frank. For Rolex, I currently own the Submariner, BLRO, and SD43.

I can see where you’re coming from regrading the comfort and wearability ... the SD43 really has become a weekend wearer for me. I don’t find it uncomfortable by any stretch, but I’m definitely ready to give my wrist a break after I wear it for a whole day. The Submariner and of course the BLRO, are just so easy to wear by comparison YMMV.

I can’t give you any advice, but that’s my experience with those three
Thanks, Brian. I've noticed your collection looks like where I'm trying to go. I think I'd be happy to have the SD43 BLRO duo. Pepsi for when I don't want to wear a heavier watch, E.G. to the office.

Or I just go for a Sub/BLRO duo, I'd be perfectly happy with that as well. It's just getting that BLRO that has proven elusive.

And you're right, I don't really find the SD43 that heavy, but after a full day of wearing I'm definitely happy to take it off.
Old 27 March 2020, 10:51 AM   #5
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktehtank View Post
Hello all!

After a big consolidation a couple years ago of non-Rolex pieces, I then caught the flipping bug and have been moving through a series of Rolex's (and other brands), having anywhere from 3-5 watches at a given time. For this post I'll focus just on Rolex, but have owned many watches from other houses (Omega, Breitling, Tudor, JLC, IWC)

Another piece will be leaving my collection right now that will leave me with just one Rolex. The piece that will remain is my SD43.

Watches I have owned from Rolex: 116610LN SubC date, 39mm Exp I, 42mm Polar Exp II, 16610 sub, Milgauss, DJ41

1. I've been waiting patiently for over a year for a call from my AD for the BLRO. I've been told that 2020 is my year, but with the current situation who knows. What other watches would you consider adding? I don't have much use for dress watches, prefer sport pieces.

2. I have been thinking that while I love my SD43, I don't love it any more than I did my SubC, which cost significantly less and was lighter and more comfortable. Have been considering flipping the SD43 back into a SubC plus some cash back in my watch fund. Will this be a move that I'll regret?

3. Would you prefer a collection of 3 Rolex's, including a 114060 SubC, 42mm Polar Exp II, and 126710BLRO pepsi gmt. Or a 2 Rolex pair of the SD43 and Pepsi GMT?

I know I already owned the Polar, but it was a great watch I loved, I just moved it to fund something else. I generally have a rule against reacquiring pieces I've already owned, because I usually got rid of them for a reason that I'm currently forgetting...

1. I would suggest a SS SkyD for the complication. I find that it is a very flexible watch, from a wear perspective. Also, have you considered a Tudor GMT? I have one and love the vintage 5digit GMT vibe of it.

2. I vote the SubC and your comments seem to indicate that you should move back to the SubC.

3. I prefer a 3 watch collection since it gives you just enough variety to keep it interesting.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 11:12 AM   #6
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Hello all!

IMO, SubC No Date and BLRO GMT would be a nice pair...
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 12:17 PM   #7
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
The GMT and sub would be a great pair. I would just stay with the SD43 but if you feel it's too heavy and having owned the sub you prefer it, then by all means get another sub, send off the SD43. Unless you have an obsession for dive watches why have both the Sub and the SD43.
Old 27 March 2020, 03:15 PM   #8
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
A diver and a gmt are all you need

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 03:31 PM   #9
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

I prefer the SD43 over the subC. After wearing the SD, everything just seems small
Old 27 March 2020, 09:43 PM   #10
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Ideally I'd have the PepC and SD43, but in the mean time I'd try the blue YM, similar red and blue colours to the BLRO and with a smart plat sandblasted bezel, plus it is great in the summer sun; then when your PepC comes in you have a choice of which one, but could be a year away.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 02:05 AM   #11
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I would either have a modern GMT or a Sub, not both. They look to similar to me to justify both.

In your current situation, I would either cash out the SD43 for a modern Sub and pass on the incoming GMT, or cash out the SD43 and use it to fund the incoming GMT. Or finally, my choice would be to cash out the SD43 to fund a new polar ExII to scratch that itch until the GMT arrives.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 02:05 AM   #12
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB

Last edited by AF_Rob; 28 March 2020 at 02:08 AM.. Reason: double post
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 02:16 AM   #13
Easy E

3. Would you prefer a collection of 3 Rolex's, including a 114060 SubC, 42mm Polar Exp II, and 126710BLRO pepsi gmt.

This, all day, every day.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 02:29 AM   #14
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Polar, SubC and Pepsi sounds great.

If i were to build a modern SS Rolex trio, would do the same (will just be on the fence between Polar and a Daytona)
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 02:30 AM   #15
ellajackson
"TRF" Member

3 is better than 2
ellajackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 02:33 AM   #16
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would prefer a collection of 3 over 2. More choices. 3 is ideal now. I would not want more than that if building a collection new from the start.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 02:41 AM   #17
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT
In m mind you need a 5 digit and a 6 digit just for differences in wear. After that is all gravy, having more is always better but not required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DJ39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 02:55 AM   #18
drrd
"TRF" Member

Sounds like you're just restless while you pass the time and wait for the Pepsi.

Wait for the AD Pepsi. If you can't wait then pay the money for grey.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 02:23 PM   #19
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

A lot of great advice, thank you! Keep it coming.

Some great suggestions for other watches to add. Skydweller and yachtmaster have been considered several times, but I'm thinking they're just a bit too polished and dressy for me (just let my DJ41 go for this reason). Tudor BB GMT is very nice, but not for me.

The SD43 truly a great reference, but so is the sub, and I don't think I'd consider owning both long term.

A lot of people are saying a 3 Rolex collection is better than 2, and I'm inclined to agree. I'm still not totally positive what those three will be end up being.
Old 29 March 2020, 03:40 PM   #20
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Keep the SD43. Going from a bigger to smaller watch is usually not a move that sticks. Yes, I’m biased. If I were you I’d look at a YM rhodium and/or a SkyD blue to pair with it.
SD>Sub. If not, why would Rolex bother making the SD?
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 12:18 PM   #21
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

An update:

So I've made a deal on a 114060 for cash and will be looking to pick up a 42mm polar as well. Hoping to make it a trade + cash deal for the SD43.

I love the SD43, but I've owned a SubC too and loved that just as much, and can't justify having both in my small collection. Hopefully the pepsi comes soon and I'll have my Rolex trio sorted.

Thanks for the great feedback, all.
Old 30 March 2020, 12:22 PM   #22
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Keep the SD43. Going from a bigger to smaller watch is usually not a move that sticks. Yes, I’m biased. If I were you I’d look at a YM rhodium and/or a SkyD blue to pair with it.
SD>Sub. If not, why would Rolex bother making the SD?
Very fair points, and I don't disagree. I think the SD43 is the better watch. But its also the larger, heavier, and more expensive watch. Which is fine, but the Sub just suits my needs a little better.

YM and SkyD are gorgeous, but too polished and fancy for me.
Old 2 April 2020, 01:57 PM   #23
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

So, another update, and a curve ball.

Got my 114060, and I absolutely love it (not surprising as I love subs). But I can't help thinking how much different it is than my SD43...

Now I'm thinking about forgetting the Polar, and just keeping the Sub/SD43 combo for now until the pepsi comes.
Old 2 April 2020, 02:14 PM   #24
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
Quote:
So, another update, and a curve ball.

Got my 114060, and I absolutely love it (not surprising as I love subs). But I can't help thinking how much different it is than my SD43...

Now I'm thinking about forgetting the Polar, and just keeping the Sub/SD43 combo for now until the pepsi comes.

Do it. They would be different enough for me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 02:18 PM   #25
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
Keep the SD43. Keep the 114060. Wait for the BLRO.
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote