The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 April 2020, 05:21 AM   #1
weksa
"TRF" Member

Sky-Dweller and its effect on my collection

I'm on the list for a SS Sky-Dweller in white or blue. I'd be happy with either. Ignoring all other factors, I lean towards white:

Several years ago I spent quite some time deciding between a white and blue DJ41 at my AD. The blue was my original intention based on photos, and it was beautiful, but having the two side by side in person, my eyes were drawn more to the white. I also valued legibility because I had planned to wear it for work, where I need to document the date and time many times throughout the day.

I imagine if I were to have a white and blue SkyD next to each other, I would make the same decision -- if it were my only watch. However, the DJ41 was my first Rolex (and first luxury item) and feels a bit special for that reason. My second was the Sub 114060. This SkyD will be my third and I think I'll be done for a while.

The issue is that I feel like the white SkyD would be an upgrade to my white DJ41, leaving the DJ41 with no wrist time. In the scenario of getting the white SkyD, I've thought about selling my DJ41 despite it being my first Rolex.

If in the very rare chance that my AD offers me the blue SkyD first, I'd probably take it (I still consider it beautiful) and I might lean more towards keeping my DJ41, as I would then have white, black, and blue watches in my collection. But there's still a chance I'd sell my DJ41 due to just wanting a 2-watch collection (more wrist time for both).

What are your thoughts on my situation? I'd like to see additional viewpoints I probably haven't considered.
weksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 05:47 AM   #2
Michael V
Banned

Watch: SD43
If you can keep/afford to have both, then have both. If you really arent going to wear the DJ41 then sell it and keep the memory of time enjoyed with it and move on.
Michael V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 05:57 AM   #3
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
You don't mention what the configuration of your DJ is. If it's smooth bezel/jubilee, it might be different enough from the white dial SkyD to justify having both. I agree that if its fluted bezel/oyster, it might look too much like a less premium version of your skyD.

The SkyD is quite a bit larger/flashier, though. So you might be surprised that the DJ41 does add some versatility even with the SkyD in your collection.

I love the idea of the blue SkyD, then keeping your white DJ41 and black dial sub. Wonderful trio.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 06:03 AM   #4
weksa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktehtank View Post
You don't mention what the configuration of your DJ is.
Oops, it is a smooth on oyster as I was going for the casual end of the spectrum. The SkyD's fluted bezel might be enough to warrant me keeping the DJ.
Old 1 April 2020, 06:05 AM   #5
weksa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael V View Post
If you can keep/afford to have both, then have both. If you really arent going to wear the DJ41 then sell it and keep the memory of time enjoyed with it and move on.
Thanks for your clear thoughts. That makes it sound much more straightforward.
Old 1 April 2020, 06:22 AM   #6
SeaDuba
"TRF" Member

I'm a couple years behind you on this dilemma. Currently looking at a DJ41 but would also love to have a Sky D. Love the duel time complication. Thought I would want a blue dial but after seeing in person, I'm going with black.

Either way it's a good problem to have.

Good luck deciding.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
SeaDuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 06:51 AM   #7
MillyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 126710BLNR
As the DJ is your first Rolex/luxury item, if you can afford to keep it, I would be looking to keep it regardless of wrist time.
MillyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 07:27 AM   #8
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weksa View Post
Oops, it is a smooth on oyster as I was going for the casual end of the spectrum. The SkyD's fluted bezel might be enough to warrant me keeping the DJ.
Assuming you can afford it, I’d keep the DJ41. Given the fact that your DJ41 has a smooth bezel, they are going to look and wear really differently. I have a SkyD. It wears big and very blingy given the fluted bezel. I love mine but I guarantee you that it will be different from any of your other watches.

Hope this helps.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 07:43 AM   #9
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

Your AD is not going to offer you a Blue SkyD before they offer you a White SkyD if you are on the list for both.

A few suggestions for you.

1. Get a TT SkyD instead of SS
2. Sell your white DJ and buy blue DJ, maybe with jubilee
3. Get black SkyD and sell your sub.
4. Sell everything and buy a WG SkyD

Good luck!
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 07:51 AM   #10
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay-dweller View Post
Your AD is not going to offer you a Blue SkyD before they offer you a White SkyD if you are on the list for both.

A few suggestions for you.

1. Get a TT SkyD instead of SS
2. Sell your white DJ and buy blue DJ, maybe with jubilee
3. Get black SkyD and sell your sub.
4. Sell everything and buy a WG SkyD

Good luck!
This is a good summary. Also want to add that I feel that the SKyD is the ultimate datejust, but SkyD is 14mm thick so not as dressy as the DJ41 in terms of fitting under the cuff. Maybe as suggested above, consider TT SKy D.
Old 1 April 2020, 10:08 PM   #11
slillestrand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona 116509
Go Blue

White Datejust 41
Black Sub no/date
Blue Sky-Dweller

This is a great three watch combo and sizing is different on all of them.

Wait for the Blue dial in my opinion. You will never regret keeping them all.

Scott
slillestrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2020, 10:08 PM   #12
slillestrand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona 116509
Quote:
Originally Posted by weksa View Post
With this info you have to wait for the blue and keep the white DJ
slillestrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 12:30 AM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

imho get the one you truly want and wait for it. Have the blue here and even with my eyes it's easy to read, yet if you really want white then that's what you should get. It'll happen, be patient :)

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote