The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2020, 12:33 AM   #1
bigmacdog
"TRF" Member

First Rolex Advise

Hello,

I am looking to buy my first Rolex as a celebration. I'm tossed between the new batman on a jubilee (126710BLNR ) or a 14060M Submariner.

My work involves a fair bit of travel and that's why the GMT was my first pick. However, I do like the 14060M slimmer profile than the modern submariner and I feel it would work much better as an everyday watch... travel, shorts or suits.

Anther reason for my hesitation is that the black/blue combo wont fit well with every scenario and that the black/blue color combo will eventually fade away as new trends come and go.

Wanted to know some of the opinions out there.

Thanks
bigmacdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 12:41 AM   #2
newu5er
"TRF" Member

They are quite different watches to be honest. I agree the 14060M would be a more low-key everyday watch. I also think the BLNR will have some staying power as the first two-color ceramic bezel, so there's that.
There's nothing wrong with getting both, that way you get to figure out what works for you. If it was me personally, I'd get the BLNR since you pick up the GMT functionality plus the date. I understand the appeal of an uncluttered dial like the one on the 14060M, but it's more like a 4th or 5th watch in terms of collection priority.
newu5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 12:43 AM   #3
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmacdog View Post

Anther reason for my hesitation is that the black/blue combo wont fit well with every scenario and that the black/blue color combo will eventually fade away as new trends come and go.

Thanks
Trying to think of a scenario it won't fit in and failing. Also, not seeing how it will fade away.
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 12:49 AM   #4
Setarip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
BLNR
I wear daily / pairs nicely with suits khaki polo combo or beach attire.
I use the 24 hr GMT all the time.

The blue is so subtle in various light settings, it goes from black to blue by angle,

Also have SD so kinda like 14060M with no cyclops - and that’s nice it flies a little low but not completely under radar

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Setarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 12:56 AM   #5
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
I love the BLNR, but as a first and only Rolex, I would get the submariner. That was my first watch too! Congrats in advance whatever you decide. Can't go wrong with either.
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 01:25 AM   #6
Cool watch
Banned

Welcome to TRF amigo!

OK. Looks like your ultimate goal is stylish longevity. You can't go wrong with the Sub.

BTW, I wear a suit for a living.
I feel more comfortable w/ the Sub than the Batman when suited up for work.
Cool watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 01:40 AM   #7
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Welcome to TRF...I prefer the GMT over the Sub as a one and only because it's a more complicated watch and has a complication that is really useful for me. The 14060M is a great reference but I'd try both on before you buy...the 14060M has the old style bracelet which has a different level of build quality than the new 6 digit refs imo. You can't go wrong with the batman on jubilee...it's a fantastic watch on an incredible bracelet that will last for years to come. Plus, the GMT will come with the 5 year Rolex warranty which will give you peace of mind for your first watch.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 01:50 AM   #8
Exceptional
Banned

Do you have a plan for how your going to obtain either? Grey?
Exceptional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 01:57 AM   #9
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I would go with the GMT, the added complication and date are nice to have when you travel a lot. Stylistically it should go with most things anyways, even if it doesn’t it still looks good on its own. I travel pretty consistently for my job and tend to use my GMT as intended and wouldn’t pick anything else for traveling.

No knocking the Sub, but I think long term you would be happier with the GMT
Old 2 April 2020, 02:04 AM   #10
bigmacdog
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for all your advice. This form is really helpful and you all are super nice.
Old 2 April 2020, 02:05 AM   #11
bigmacdog
"TRF" Member

Chrono24
Old 2 April 2020, 02:09 AM   #12
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmacdog View Post
Hello,

I am looking to buy my first Rolex as a celebration. I'm tossed between the new batman on a jubilee (126710BLNR ) or a 14060M Submariner.

My work involves a fair bit of travel and that's why the GMT was my first pick. However, I do like the 14060M slimmer profile than the modern submariner and I feel it would work much better as an everyday watch... travel, shorts or suits.

Thanks
For my first Rolex, I'd go with a new model rather than a used watch. Between a Sub and a Batgirl, I'd go with the Batgirl. Not as versatile a color combination as a black sub granted but regardless that would be my choice.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 02:19 AM   #13
Triad900
"TRF" Member

This may not be possible for you, but my vote would be to get both. I picked up my Sub back in November and actually got a a call for the GMT 2 weeks ago. I couldn’t pass it up and literally was grinning ear to ear leaving the AD. The jubilee on GMT is sharp. My wife on the other hand wasn’t too happy with 2 purchases so close together and during the current health crisis.
Triad900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 02:26 AM   #14
Exceptional
Banned

I prefer the GMT, over a Sub (unless its a hulk).
Exceptional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 02:29 AM   #15
Commonproject
Banned

Have you been able to try these watches on? The modern GMT and the 5 digit sub wear very differently. The 5 digit sub wears much lighter/smaller so depends on your preference.
Commonproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 02:31 AM   #16
OneRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I was pondering a similar decision a few years back for my first, though it was the BLNR on oyster v. the sub. I ultimately ended up going with the 116710LN. I wanted the GMT function and date and thought the blue might appear too casual at times. IMO it's perfect for all occasions and a daily wearer, but there's definitely days where I wish I had the BLNR. I do still love the sub- grass is always greener I suppose! As I'm sure many here will echo, you really can't go wrong.
OneRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 02:33 AM   #17
Matt_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
I had a Sub and sold it when I got the BLNR on Jubilee. I just stopped wearing it. The super jubilee offered more comfort than the oyster, and in many respects it’s as robust a bracelet as it doesn’t show scratches. Make no mistake this is a proper tool watch whilst having the look of a dress watch. The bezel is great as during the day the blue really stands out but in the dark it looks like the all black version. I think it is more adaptable than the Pepsi.

It’s a mismatch IMO, but you shouldn’t listen to others go with your gut.
Matt_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 02:37 AM   #18
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I love GMTs. And I love the idea of a second time zone on my watch. But the truth is that it's just not that useful in real life. Doing the math in your head is really pretty simple. It's 05:00 in New York so it's 10:00 in London. Boom. As cool as the GMT concept may be, it's not as useful as folks make it out to be.

If you're choosing between a Sub and GMT as a first Rolex, even as a huge GMT fanboy, I'd say go with the Sub. I'd also get the date version, but that's just me. Now, if the profile of the watch is a major decision factor I'd say look at an older 5-digit GMT. The BLNR colors are not available on the 5-digits but there are other choices I like more. I'm a BLRO 16710 guy myself. The pre-maxi cases are very low profile (dimensionally) on the wrist.
Old 2 April 2020, 02:44 AM   #19
spacebjorn
"TRF" Member

If you travel even remotely more than a couple times a month the BLNR will make your life easier so that's what I'd go for.
spacebjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 03:55 AM   #20
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad900 View Post
This may not be possible for you, but my vote would be to get both. I picked up my Sub back in November and actually got a a call for the GMT 2 weeks ago. I couldn’t pass it up and literally was grinning ear to ear leaving the AD. The jubilee on GMT is sharp. My wife on the other hand wasn’t too happy with 2 purchases so close together and during the current health crisis.
hahaha. the obvious answer.