The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2020, 05:56 PM   #1
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Legibility... Rhodium vs Other Dials

Hi all,

I have a Rhodium Dial OP 39mm and absolutely love it outside... It's gorgeous the way that sunlight plays on the dial and is very clear and colourful. Looks amazing.

That's outside! Inside, I find the dial dark, and while I can always tell the time, within reason, the dark faced dial is nondescript and dare I say a tad boring. It is quite a matt dark grey colouring, and the hands don't pop against the dial. It's very underwhelming.

Does anyone have experience with the Rhodium vs other dials? What do you think of this? I'm looking at getting a CHNR or Sub no date next.... Any advice on these two in terms of the above - night and day difference?
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 06:10 PM   #2
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Sounds like an excellent excuse to get another watch. Are you testing the waters to see if your significant other will buy into your reasoning?

Why not just switch the dial to a white or black?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 06:11 PM   #3
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
I think that any dial will look at its best in good light, conversely in dull or flat light light the dial will not show at its best. The key issue for me is clarity of the dial in any light, my small collection of a DJ41 Rhodium, Speedmaster and Seamaster all have one thing in common I can read the time easily in any light and that is the most important thing for me.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 06:14 PM   #4
Yess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Sounds like an excellent excuse to get another watch. Are you testing the waters to see if your significant other will buy into your reasoning?

Why not just switch the dial to a white or black?

Never understood this argument. If your significant other gives you grief about buying watch, either you don't have the money (fair - live within your means), or you have the wrong significant other (need to reassess bigger issues in life!).
Old 2 April 2020, 06:15 PM   #5
Yess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
I think that any dial will look at its best in good light, conversely in dull or flat light light the dial will not show at its best. The key issue for me is clarity of the dial in any light, my small collection of a DJ41 Rhodium, Speedmaster and Seamaster all have one thing in common I can read the time easily in any light and that is the most important thing for me.
True. But I imagine a Sub would be more legible in low light? Or is it the lume that is the difference in lower light?