The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 June 2020, 08:57 AM   #1
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Help building my collection - background

Hello! I am new to the forum. I have used it for advice over the years, but finally decided to join. I currently have a 114060 and Datejust 41 black dial jubilee fluted (plus an old Tag keeping it as I wore it on wedding day). Without a really long story, here is my watch history.

Started with Breitling Avenger. Then got a 114060. Sold avenger and bought a Omega Speedmaster man on the moon. Then bought JLC master control date. This is when it really all changed. I realized I only really liked Rolex and while I appreciated all the other brands, none was close to a Rolex in my mind. So sold all of them except the 114060 and bought a Datejust 41 jubilee fluted white dial. Had it for a week and didn’t like the white dial on the 41. Dealer let me return and was between black and blue 41. Went with the black as I know I would have always questioned what I wore with the blue. Loved the datejust 41 so much, I sold the 114060 because I never put it on! Was a dumb move. Had only the black datejust for about a year and missed my sub. One randomly came in to my local dealer and bought it again! So that takes you to my current collection. 114060 and Datejust 41 black dial jubilee fluted. The 2 that will always be in my stable.

In all my research and looking online, I think I want to eventually grow my collection to five, all Rolex and all stainless (like two toned a little but not enough). I am on a waitlist and in good with the owner. Waiting for the ceramic Daytona white dial. I think then I will go after the Batman, jubilee. Those are both future because of waitlist. In the meantime, I think my 5th (3rd currently) is going to be the simple datejust 41 blue dial, smooth bezel, oyster. I am just in love with the blue dial. I just can’t justify replacing my black dial datejust because that is my go to for dress and it is just timeless. But I think the blue would be a nice change up with my current 2.

What are your thoughts? Am I missing anything that I should consider? Is having 2 datejust nuts?
JRell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 09:29 AM   #2
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
With those five, you will have your bases covered. The remaining watches on your list will round out the collection well. Maybe down the road you can get a PM watch as I think that will nail your collection.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 09:31 AM   #3
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
I definitely wouldn’t get rid of either one you have. Otherwise you’ll just miss it like you missed your first one.

Two DJs is not nuts. I definitely recommend trying them all on as the blue is a bit different on the smooth vs fluted bezel (at least it looked that way to me).

I know most people don’t like YM, and I agree they look terrible in photos compared to most. But in person, the blue dial YM was amazing and it’s next on my list.

I just got my Batman a few days ago, so I’m definitely taking a break for a while, but I also definitely recommend it. It’s the best of both worlds if you like black and blue :-)

You may also want to consider the Explorer II (since you initially considered the white dial DJ). My Explorer II is my second favorite next to the Batman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 09:34 AM   #4
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddodoc View Post
With those five, you will have your bases covered. The remaining watches on your list will round out the collection well. Maybe down the road you can get a PM watch as I think that will nail your collection.
Yes - maybe a day-date when I retire, that is a nice goal to have. I like it thanks.
Old 29 June 2020, 09:36 AM   #5
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD531 View Post
I definitely wouldn’t get rid of either one you have. Otherwise you’ll just miss it like you missed your first one.

Two DJs is not nuts. I definitely recommend trying them all on as the blue is a bit different on the smooth vs fluted bezel (at least it looked that way to me).

I know most people don’t like YM, and I agree they look terrible in photos compared to most. But in person, the blue dial YM was amazing and it’s next on my list.

I just got my Batman a few days ago, so I’m definitely taking a break for a while, but I also definitely recommend it. It’s the best of both worlds if you like black and blue :-)

You may also want to consider the Explorer II (since you initially considered the white dial DJ). My Explorer II is my second favorite next to the Batman.

Man I really love the Batman as well. That watch and the Daytona white face are grails for a reason. Congrats in the purchased, wear it in good health.
Old 29 June 2020, 10:02 AM   #6
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD531 View Post

Wow the blue dial YM...I had no idea it existed! Could check 2 boxes for me. Need to see it in person. Great advice.
Old 29 June 2020, 10:16 AM   #7
harvey
"TRF" Member

I think trying to build a collection is always a fluid decision, as along the way, tastes change and more importantly new references get released.
harvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 10:32 AM   #8
Napoleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO / Sub / Polar
Could consider a polar Explorer II - might be nice to have a white face. 5 digit Pepsi wil give you a nice Land, Air, Sea combo with a dash of color.
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 02:47 PM   #9
APPRF
"TRF" Member

If you like the smooth bezel oyster combo then maybe consider a Z-Blue. I wouldn't get two DJs in a small collection.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 03:21 PM   #10
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
I would add a 116613LB to your collection before I would add a DJ41 blue dial.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 05:39 PM   #11
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Hello! I am new to the forum. I have used it for advice over the years, but finally decided to join. I currently have a 114060 and Datejust 41 black dial jubilee fluted (plus an old Tag keeping it as I wore it on wedding day). Without a really long story, here is my watch history.

Started with Breitling Avenger. Then got a 114060. Sold avenger and bought a Omega Speedmaster man on the moon. Then bought JLC master control date. This is when it really all changed. I realized I only really liked Rolex and while I appreciated all the other brands, none was close to a Rolex in my mind. So sold all of them except the 114060 and bought a Datejust 41 jubilee fluted white dial. Had it for a week and didn’t like the white dial on the 41. Dealer let me return and was between black and blue 41. Went with the black as I know I would have always questioned what I wore with the blue. Loved the datejust 41 so much, I sold the 114060 because I never put it on! Was a dumb move. Had only the black datejust for about a year and missed my sub. One randomly came in to my local dealer and bought it again! So that takes you to my current collection. 114060 and Datejust 41 black dial jubilee fluted. The 2 that will always be in my stable.

In all my research and looking online, I think I want to eventually grow my collection to five, all Rolex and all stainless (like two toned a little but not enough). I am on a waitlist and in good with the owner. Waiting for the ceramic Daytona white dial. I think then I will go after the Batman, jubilee. Those are both future because of waitlist. In the meantime, I think my 5th (3rd currently) is going to be the simple datejust 41 blue dial, smooth bezel, oyster. I am just in love with the blue dial. I just can’t justify replacing my black dial datejust because that is my go to for dress and it is just timeless. But I think the blue would be a nice change up with my current 2.

What are your thoughts? Am I missing anything that I should consider? Is having 2 datejust nuts?

Since you posted asking for opinions here is mine. I would have kept the white dial DJ because white dial watches have classy uniqueness to them, You now have two black dial watches and from a distance, not that different. yes one is sports and one is classic, but nothing unique. The GMT BLNR will be another black dial sports watch on jubilee bracelet. so adds a little bezel color but another black dial watch on jubilee like the DJ. A second date just with a blue dial will just get you to wear either the black dial less or the blue dial more or vice versa, so why keep two. You feel you have a connection with the AD so maybe White dial Daytona is on the way. My suggestions is keep the blue dial DJ and get rid of the black dial DJ. Keep the sub and the BLNR, and hope and pray you get a white dial Daytona. four watches not five, consider the fluted bezel on the blue dial DJ with jubilee bracelet. In a four watch collection you will have two jubilee bracelets and two oyster brcelets. two black dials, and one blue dial, one white dial. Nice collection, My.02.
Old 29 June 2020, 07:26 PM   #12
Johnpierpontmorgan
Banned

I have a

i) polar explorer,

ii) gmt ceramic,

iii) sea dweller,

iv) datejust 36

+ seiko alpinist

Thats my five piece collection right now

perhaps one day i might own the daytona. but zero hopes whatsoever at MSRP
Johnpierpontmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2020, 09:41 PM   #13
JRell
"TRF" Member

You nailed my dilemma. The battle for me is collection vs. what is on my arm at that given moment. Only I know what is sitting back home in my case. For me to do what you suggested, I would have to get over the concern that the blue datejust fluted jubilee can be as flexible as the black dial I have. The black in my opinion is the most flexible in the group, but I just happen to like the blue dial a tiny bit more. So thought, best of both worlds get a blue with smooth and oyster. The watch becomes much more sporty and different. There is the keeping the balance dial in the collection debate, and then there is get the exact watch you want for each type of watch (41 black dial dress, 114060 sport) then just add whatever you like to those 2. I guess it is a good problem to have, but your post really made me think!
Old 29 June 2020, 09:42 PM   #14
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
Since you posted asking for opinions here is mine. I would have kept the white dial DJ because white dial watches have classy uniqueness to them, You now have two black dial watches and from a distance, not that different. yes one is sports and one is classic, but nothing unique. The GMT BLNR will be another black dial sports watch on jubilee bracelet. so adds a little bezel color but another black dial watch on jubilee like the DJ. A second date just with a blue dial will just get you to wear either the black dial less or the blue dial more or vice versa, so why keep two. You feel you have a connection with the AD so maybe White dial Daytona is on the way. My suggestions is keep the blue dial DJ and get rid of the black dial DJ. Keep the sub and the BLNR, and hope and pray you get a white dial Daytona. four watches not five, consider the fluted bezel on the blue dial DJ with jubilee bracelet. In a four watch collection you will have two jubilee bracelets and two oyster brcelets. two black dials, and one blue dial, one white dial. Nice collection, My.02.
You nailed my dilemma. The battle for me is collection vs. what is on my arm at that given moment. Only I know what is sitting back home in my case. For me to do what you suggested, I would have to get over the concern that the blue datejust fluted jubilee can be as flexible as the black dial I have. The black in my opinion is the most flexible in the group, but I just happen to like the blue dial a tiny bit more. So thought, best of both worlds get a blue with smooth and oyster. The watch becomes much more sporty and different. There is the keeping the balance dial in the collection debate, and then there is get the exact watch you want for each type of watch (41 black dial dress, 114060 sport) then just add whatever you like to those 2. I guess it is a good problem to have, but your post really made me think!
Old 29 June 2020, 10:58 PM   #15
JRell
"TRF" Member

Thanks to all - Rado63’s post really hit me. The datejust 41 blue is what I really want. Selling my black datejust to the dealer and on the list for the next blue that comes in. Then when my Daytona comes in, will have my 114060, datejust 41 fluted jubilee blue dial, and ceramic Daytona white dial. Can’t think of any other one that I will need! (For now) thanks all!
Old 29 June 2020, 11:13 PM   #16
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks to all - Rado63’s post really hit me. The datejust 41 blue is what I really want. Selling my black datejust to the dealer and on the list for the next blue that comes in. Then when my Daytona comes in, will have my 114060, datejust 41 fluted jubilee blue dial, and ceramic Daytona white dial. Can’t think of any other one that I will need! (For now) thanks all!
Glad you will go with fluted jubilee. The optimal configuration for the iconic DJ41 in my opinion. You will have a very nice collection, hope you get your Panda soon.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 03:40 AM   #17
JRell
"TRF" Member

Update!

Update! Went in to sell my black datejust and they had the blue! Thanks all! Now waiting on my daytona and will be complete (until I get the urge for the Batman lol).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 690623D2-3626-41BE-83AA-5127A1AC07EC.jpeg (91.2 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpeg E2B42389-50E6-4D0E-93D6-84326DDBDC7C.jpeg (76.0 KB, 160 views)
Old 30 June 2020, 05:46 AM   #18
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
Quote:
Update! Went in to sell my black datejust and they had the blue! Thanks all! Now waiting on my daytona and will be complete (until I get the urge for the Batman lol).

Looks great!

JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2020, 07:35 AM   #19
MRPWRPATX21
"TRF" Member

Huge fan of the YM (I prefer the Rhodium dial, but the blue is no slouch at all), so I think you're on the right track there. I've got an old-school platinum dial 16622 but am hoping to acquire a 126622 Rhodium soon.

I think there's more than enough reason to justify two DJ's, but to me it would always feel weird and I'm sure I'd sell down to one if I ever had two or more.

The white dial Daytona is a no-brainer...one that I'm hoping to add eventually, as well.

Given that you've got a Sub and DJ, if you added a YM and a Daytona, you're looking for one more to get you to 5...I don't think you'd want to add a SD on top of the Sub, but the GMT is kind of the one area you don't have checked. You can get that from an Explorer II or GMT, and I favor the polar dial Explorer II over the current jubilee incarnation of the GMT (or rootbeer TT, for that matter). But it could be cool to go a bit older with a Pepsi/Coke GMT if you didn't like the Explorer II?
MRPWRPATX21 is offline   Reply With Quote