The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 July 2020, 02:58 AM   #1
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
Incoming: Datejust 36 With White Dial and Roman Numerals!

I got my first Rolex today: a Datejust 36, white dial, Roman numerals, fluted bezel, and Oyster bracelet. For those interested, I also got to keep both hang tags (the green chronometer one and white ID one) and the plastic coffin they used to transport it. Because I paid in cash, I got a $300 Orbita watchwinder for free.

Thanks to the TRF community for advising me to get the Datejust 36 when I posted this thread last week: Datejust 36 or Datejust 41 for Smaller Wrists.

It came with the old warranty card with my name written on it.

Enough of my yapping; take a look at this beauty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new-datejust-36.jpg (102.4 KB, 772 views)
Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 03:09 AM   #2
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Congrats! I love a DJ with romans...so classy.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 03:09 AM   #3
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

That watch fits your wrist perfectly. I just got a DJ41 2 months ago, also with white dial and oyster bracelet, but I have stick markers and a smooth bezel.

Congrats on your first Rolex.....maybe you'll be like the rest of us and this will be just the start to the addiction....Enjoy it! :-)
MannySDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 03:12 AM   #4
doramas
Banned

36 is ideal
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 04:21 AM   #5
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Beautiful watch, great choice. Congrats !
Gerry62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 04:31 AM   #6
campfire
"TRF" Member

Awesome. Love this size. Congratulations.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 05:59 AM   #7
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Looks great and fits you perfectly! Congrats
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:16 AM   #8
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

Incoming: Datejust 36 With White Dial and Roman Numerals!

This wrist shot confirms 36 was the perfect size ! And Oyster Bracelet has the effect of making it look a tad bigger than if you’d went jubilee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SF, CA

Last edited by chocopeluche; 3 July 2020 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: Remove clappy emoji
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:18 AM   #9
Xenon
Banned

Great choice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 900000000000000000000000000.jpg (54.6 KB, 664 views)
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 06:27 AM   #10
Generation
"TRF" Member

Cool, Xenon. They had your configuration of DJ at the AD, and I was considering it because your photos look great. Nice watch!
Old 3 July 2020, 06:30 AM   #11
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Congratulations
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 08:09 AM   #12
Albatross
"TRF" Member

My very first Rolex. Bought brand new from AD in 1989. Jubilee rather than Oyster, ivory dial rather than white. But not much has changed in 31 years! It’s a great first Rolex. Dresses up and also looks great in jeans and a T shirt. One of the most versatile watches in the entire Rolex range. The DJ 36 is a classic. You will never go wrong with one of these in your stable. And as you add more and more references over time , I guarantee you will always return to this one for some wrist time. It’s special. Congratulations and wear it in excellent health!

Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 08:55 AM   #13
Generation
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
My very first Rolex. Bought brand new from AD in 1989. Jubilee rather than Oyster, ivory dial rather than white. But not much has changed in 31 years! It’s a great first Rolex. Dresses up and also looks great in jeans and a T shirt. One of the most versatile watches in the entire Rolex range. The DJ 36 is a classic. You will never go wrong with one of these in your stable. And as you add more and more references over time , I guarantee you will always return to this one for some wrist time. It’s special. Congratulations and wear it in excellent health!

Wow, thanks for posting! It's really interesting that our watches look almost identical, despite the 30-year gap in purchasing. It's certainly a classic design. I take it your Datejust was also one of the first to have the 3135 movement.
Old 3 July 2020, 08:56 AM   #14
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Congratulations OP. I have the same model on a Oyster and smooth bezel. Great watch, very versatile, and a classic. Enjoy.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 09:08 AM   #15
MercedesHand
"TRF" Member

OP,

Watch matches the stature of your wrist nicely. Wise choice and a beautiful DJ.

Wear in good health.
MercedesHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 09:18 AM   #16
woofwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126200
Congratulations! That's a classic. I love the roman numerals. I have the DJ 36 in my avatar and absolutely love it. I'm considering selling my BB58 to use the funds toward a black or blue dial DJ with romans.
woofwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 10:32 AM   #17
Piguette
Banned

Congratulations!
Piguette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 10:35 AM   #18
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 10:49 AM   #19
bbierman1982
"TRF" Member

Congratulations! I received my first Rolex today as well (126710 BLNR). Think I’m in love! Enjoy yours in good health.
bbierman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 11:03 AM   #20
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Dang nice, congrats!
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 11:06 AM   #21
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

Nice!
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 11:39 AM   #22
Albatross
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generation View Post
Wow, thanks for posting! It's really interesting that our watches look almost identical, despite the 30-year gap in purchasing. It's certainly a classic design. I take it your Datejust was also one of the first to have the 3135 movement.

Yes, one of the early 3135s which was probably one of Rolex’s longest produced and best running movements. Of course, I was 29 and was getting my first Rolex and I couldn’t tell you anything about the technical specs of this watch at the time. All I knew was that it was a Rolex, and I felt like I had arrived. It was one of the proudest days of my life when I first unboxed this watch and put it on my wrist.

Now I’m 60. But this watch still sees plenty of wrist time. Over the years I have acquired other pieces and I rotate when the mood suits me, but this is the one watch that I will never sell. The first is always special. And I wore it for a long time as my one and only. it witnessed some great moments in my life. When both of my daughters were born, there are pictures of me in the hospital holding these beautiful Babies...the girls that would forever after that moment shape so much of my life...and I am wearing this watch in all of those pictures. Those girls are now 29 and 25 years old. I don’t know where all that time went. Those pictures were like yesterday when I see them now. But this watch marked the passage of that time. Which makes it, to me, much more than a watch. It’s a companion that has marked some very good times and some very bad times. But it has never failed me.

As you said, it IS very interesting that your watch and mine, 31 years apart, look almost identical. Yes, it’s a classic design that works. Look back at old music videos from the 70s and 80s of classic rock bands of that era and you will see guitarists playing Fender Stratocasters and Gibson Les Pauls that look identical to the Strats and Les Pauls that are brand new and in the guitar store right now. It’s the same thing. Some things just work so well that there is absolutely no need to mess with them. That, in a nutshell, is the 36mm Datejust. It’s perfection.

I don’t know you, but you are possibly a young guy too since this is your first Rolex. Just like I was in 1989. Your watch will no doubt accompany you through many of life’s milestones that are still to come for you. Treat it well and it will do the same for you. Take pride in the fact that you are wearing a classic timepiece. You made a really great choice with that watch. I hope you also look back in 30 years and it is still on your wrist.

I wish you nothing but the best on your journey.

Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 11:57 AM   #23
Generation
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
Yes, one of the early 3135s which was probably one of Rolex’s longest produced and best running movements. Of course, I was 29 and was getting my first Rolex and I couldn’t tell you anything about the technical specs of this watch at the time. All I knew was that it was a Rolex, and I felt like I had arrived. It was one of the proudest days of my life when I first unboxed this watch and put it on my wrist.

Now I’m 60. But this watch still sees plenty of wrist time. Over the years I have acquired other pieces and I rotate when the mood suits me, but this is the one watch that I will never sell. The first is always special. And I wore it for a long time as my one and only. it witnessed some great moments in my life. When both of my daughters were born, there are pictures of me in the hospital holding these beautiful Babies...the girls that would forever after that moment shape so much of my life...and I am wearing this watch in all of those pictures. Those girls are now 29 and 25 years old. I don’t know where all that time went. Those pictures were like yesterday when I see them now. But this watch marked the passage of that time. Which makes it, to me, much more than a watch. It’s a companion that has marked some very good times and some very bad times. But it has never failed me.

As you said, it IS very interesting that your watch and mine, 31 years apart, look almost identical. Yes, it’s a classic design that works. Look back at old music videos from the 70s and 80s of classic rock bands of that era and you will see guitarists playing Fender Stratocasters and Gibson Les Pauls that look identical to the Strats and Les Pauls that are brand new and in the guitar store right now. It’s the same thing. Some things just work so well that there is absolutely no need to mess with them. That, in a nutshell, is the 36mm Datejust. It’s perfection.

I don’t know you, but you are possibly a young guy too since this is your first Rolex. Just like I was in 1989. Your watch will no doubt accompany you through many of life’s milestones that are still to come for you. Treat it well and it will do the same for you. Take pride in the fact that you are wearing a classic timepiece. You made a really great choice with that watch. I hope you also look back in 30 years and it is still on your wrist.

I wish you nothing but the best on your journey.

You were really tugging on my heartstrings there! This post was eloquently stated and very much appreciated. You're right, I am still relatively young (31), similar to how old you were when you got yours. Your story reminded me of this YouTube video about Jack Nicklaus and his Day-Date. You solidified my love for this watch. I will be a very happy man indeed if I live another 30 years with this watch. I, too, wish you all the best. Thank you.
Old 3 July 2020, 12:06 PM   #24
HACKNSACK44
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Congrats!!
Old 4 July 2020, 11:35 PM   #25
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Congrats on the pick up, OP! I really enjoyed reading through the thread, many great comments and stories shared.

A few minutes ago my wife and I were talking about all the reasons why I bought her the particular ladies DJ I chose. I rattled off all the classic design, test of time sizing, history, everything you could think of. It’s your watch, just the ladies version...Great choice and congrats again!

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 06:36 AM   #26
Generation
"TRF" Member

It's been 10 days since I got the Datejust, and it's gained just 0.5 seconds total!
Old 13 July 2020, 06:37 AM   #27
wcollection
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Congrats! This was my first Rolex ever and absolutely loved it!

wcollection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 09:29 AM   #28
dricig
"TRF" Member

Nice classic!
Good luck with it.
Here"s my acrylic from 87.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3711 reduced.JPG (213.6 KB, 359 views)
dricig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 09:46 AM   #29
Ntoz
Banned

That's a really nice watch. Congratulations.
Ntoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 09:52 AM   #30
Plant
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 36, Nomos Ahoi
Nice. The combo of romans and fluted class it up, but then you add the oyster bracelet to make it abit more modern and perfect for daily wear. Love it
Plant is offline   Reply With Quote