The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 July 2020, 12:32 PM   #1
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Root Beer or Pepsi?

Friends,

I had been so persistent about wanting to get my hands on a Pepsi that a CHNR made its way to the AD case and no one thought to offer a GMT alternative! I saw it while picking up a gift for my wife and after comparing it to a pre-owned Pepsi they had for $17,500 I realized how wrong I was to lust for the wrong hype soda! The blue on the bezel wasn’t as interesting to me as the root beer brown and everose. What are your thoughts?

tl;dr: A GMT CHNR made it to the case. Pics when I pick it up since I need a payment on the 0% credit card to clear.

Also, doing nice things for your wife leads to Rolex case karma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 01:05 PM   #2
pedersenkl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub
Root Beer or Pepsi?

I have a similar view. Was after a SS GMT, primarily looking at BLNR (I like the blue and black) with BLRO second (like it, but colors felt a little off). An AD presented the CHNR TT to me...and I loved it. Never had a plan for a TT, but I do feel this watch hit the mark. I no longer desire the SS GMTs and haven’t looked back since the Rootbeer.

pedersenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 01:15 PM   #3
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedersenkl View Post
I have a similar view. Was after a SS GMT, primarily looking at BLNR (I like the blue and black) with BLRO second (like it, but colors felt a little off). An AD presented the CHNR TT to me...and I loved it. Never had a plan for a TT, but I do feel this watch hit the mark. I no longer desire the SS GMTs and haven’t looked back since the Rootbeer.

So cool to have similar experiences. The hype train is real. I have a fluted/jubilee steel Wimbledon so I feel that covers me when I want the jubilee look. I also have a Hulk so I’ve got the brushes Oyster. With the TT of the Rootbeer just need the PCLs of a Daytona and I think I’ve got my bases covered!

Old 3 July 2020, 01:23 PM   #4
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
I'd go with the root beer all day long. It's a very stunning and classy watch. I like that it's a sports watch that can also be just as easily be used as a dress watch. It's definitely eye catching.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 01:29 PM   #5
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
It’s human nature to justify what we want, why we want it and when we want it.

As long as you’re happy with your choice, no one can convince you otherwise.

If the Pepsi is still lingering in the back of your mind, you’ll find reasons to justify getting one after all :)

The beauty of collecting watches: they’re all beautiful!

Congrats! Enjoy it.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 01:35 PM   #6
Rudyraiser
"TRF" Member

I had a similar experience. I was on the waiting list for months on a Pepsi. I was in the AD and the SA said they just got a CHNR and asked if i would like to see it. Love at first sight. I had to wait a few days as the CHNR was already promised to someone else. He decided to pass I got it.

Very happy after 8 months of having it. Got a chance to see another Pepsi at the AD that was for another customer. After handling it and comparing it to my CHNR still no regrets.

Buy what you like at the end of the day it is going to be your wrist.
Rudyraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 02:53 PM   #7
ed1118
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711 CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedersenkl View Post

I agree with you. In flesh, the CHNR looks way better than BLNR and BLRO. CHNR>BLRO>BLNR. Totally different watches. Sometimes don’t go after the hype.
I ask myself if I still want a BLRO or BLNR after I got the CHNR. NO. Do I want a CHNR after I got a BLRO or BLNR. YES.

ed1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 03:19 PM   #8
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
I love my CHNR - I think the colors are perfect - they go from dark chocolate/black to a wood brown depending on the light - the rose gold markers and hands play so well with the dark dial - and the SS and RG is the right mix.
I say CHNR all day everyday.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 03:59 PM   #9
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherBrown View Post
Friends,

I had been so persistent about wanting to get my hands on a Pepsi that a CHNR made its way to the AD case and no one thought to offer a GMT alternative! I saw it while picking up a gift for my wife and after comparing it to a pre-owned Pepsi they had for $17,500 I realized how wrong I was to lust for the wrong hype soda! The blue on the bezel wasn’t as interesting to me as the root beer brown and everose. What are your thoughts?

tl;dr: A GMT CHNR made it to the case. Pics when I pick it up since I need a payment on the 0% credit card to clear.

Also, doing nice things for your wife leads to Rolex case karma.

You save 3 grand over a USED Pepsi, you get actual Gold, not just hyped up Steel, and you get prettier, more unique colors that aren't as common as the other GMT Master II models, along with having the distinction of getting the first Rose gold GMT Master II, so it's just wins all the way around. I wish my AD just happened to have a CHNR sitting in the case when I picked up my new DJ41... I actually was intrigued by the Rootbeer when it first came out and started watching a few review videos of it, but I was to focused on getting my Bluesy and figuring it was going to be impossible to get right after release. But, my SA actually wears the TT Rootbeer, and seeing it in the flesh flipped a switch in my head that I just have to get one. I think it will compliment my Bluesy, my Steel DJ41, and my vintage gold Datejust nicely!

I am assuming you will pick yours up soon? I hope you do...while I'll still be waiting on mine..
MannySDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 05:21 PM   #10
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
What are my thoughts? I personally prefer the BLRO but that doesn’t matter, what matters is you got the watch you liked when you saw them both in person. Congrats on the GMT.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 05:46 PM   #11
Dr.Mehr
"TRF" Member

I sold my Pepsi a few weeks ago after it has mostly been in the safe for the past year since the CHNR is much more beautiful and elegant
Dr.Mehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 07:33 PM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I discounted the TT CHNR until I saw one for real. It's a stunner. Congratulations.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 08:07 PM   #13
The Kermit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610LV /OP/GMT
CHNR it really is a beauty
Old 3 July 2020, 09:12 PM   #14
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. A beautiful watch and one on the wrist is better than being on an endless list.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 09:14 PM   #15
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmework View Post
What are my thoughts? I personally prefer the BLRO but that doesn’t matter, what matters is you got the watch you liked when you saw them both in person. Congrats on the GMT.
Exactly ^^^

Congratulations OP
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 09:17 PM   #16
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Nice! The CHNR has certainly been growing on me that's for sure. I've not yet seen one in the flesh, but will be keeping my eyes peeled to try check one out...
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2020, 11:54 PM   #17
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
CHNR rules. And when you’re looking at someone wearing one, way more wrist presence compared to either the BLNR or BLRO. I’m on the list for the right BLRO and have the BLNR but the CHNR is first choice.
Old 4 July 2020, 12:11 AM   #18
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
chnr rules. And when you’re looking at someone wearing one, way more wrist presence compared to either the blnr or blro. I’m on the list for the right blro and have the blnr but the chnr is first choice.
+1
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 12:27 AM   #19
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I think the Rootbeer is the best GMT right now. Beats the SS versions.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 12:55 AM   #20
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by calatrava r View Post
i think the rootbeer is the best gmt right now. Beats the ss versions.

+1
Old 4 July 2020, 01:57 AM   #21
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

I find the latest BLRO colors (darker variety) to be fantastic. I haven’t had a Pepsi on my wrist, but I’ve seen one from across the room and I actually liked the look of the Jubilee quite a bit.

That said, I found the CHNR to be more unique and the color combo is beautiful. For me, I found the two tone to be but more stark and not fully integrated. The rich brown and dark black just sat on top of the sterile stainless, So I went full Everose instead. No regrets in the slightest.

WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 02:02 AM   #22
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchOut4It View Post
I find the latest BLRO colors (darker variety) to be fantastic. I haven’t had a Pepsi on my wrist, but I’ve seen one from across the room and I actually liked the look of the Jubilee quite a bit.

That said, I found the CHNR to be more unique and the color combo is beautiful. For me, I found the two tone to be but more stark and not fully integrated. The rich brown and dark black just sat on top of the sterile stainless, So I went full Everose instead. No regrets in the slightest.

Beautiful. They also have the full everose if anyone is looking for one. I’ve had a full gold Rolex and the extra 50 grams makes a huge difference in long term wear comfort because of an old hand injury. The TT will be a happy medium!

Old 4 July 2020, 02:04 AM   #23
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannySDG View Post
You save 3 grand over a USED Pepsi, you get actual Gold, not just hyped up Steel, and you get prettier, more unique colors that aren't as common as the other GMT Master II models, along with having the distinction of getting the first Rose gold GMT Master II, so it's just wins all the way around. I wish my AD just happened to have a CHNR sitting in the case when I picked up my new DJ41... I actually was intrigued by the Rootbeer when it first came out and started watching a few review videos of it, but I was to focused on getting my Bluesy and figuring it was going to be impossible to get right after release. But, my SA actually wears the TT Rootbeer, and seeing it in the flesh flipped a switch in my head that I just have to get one. I think it will compliment my Bluesy, my Steel DJ41, and my vintage gold Datejust nicely!

I am assuming you will pick yours up soon? I hope you do...while I'll still be waiting on mine..

Was gonna pick it up next week but I managed to free up some time and will go get it this afternoon so I can wear it for the holiday weekend!

Old 4 July 2020, 02:05 AM   #24
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the conversation, gents. Wish the forum had a “like” function so I could upvote your all!

Old 4 July 2020, 02:07 AM   #25
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

BLRO has hype, CHNR has gold. Both are undeniably stunning but I'd go for the gold.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 02:08 AM   #26
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
+1

+2

BDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 02:25 AM   #27
Gold Crown
Banned

Watch: 6265 18K Daytona
No question....
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg EE463CC5-5483-4F6B-81E7-6A6DD05C876F.jpeg (214.0 KB, 728 views)
Gold Crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 03:12 AM   #28
dukie748
"TRF" Member

The CHNR is one of Rolexes most beautiful watches, and way more stunning in person than in photos. So much so after seeing it in the flesh I expressed an interest in one, but later realized it just wouldn’t get much wrist time as I am rarely in an environment where I could pull off ‘gold’ - so Pepsi it was, collected it on Wednesday, a very happy camper.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 03:18 AM   #29
mhester
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I purchased my first Rolex GMT last month and I got the TT CHNR.

All the current GMT’s are great watches it would be difficult to choose between them if you were lucky enough to have a choice and the means to buy them all!

My preference was for the SS BLRO but my AD said the list was closed so I put my name down for the TT CHNR.

I was shown the RG CHNR by the AD and was mesmerised. I was worried that I would be disappointed when I got to see the TT in person when I went to pick it up but the dial and bezel are equally as impressive. The two tone bracket in rose gold really looks great (on all Rolex models) and especially on an oyster.

I have to say having seen a couple of BLRO’s in the wild that I much prefer the look of the CHNR. I like the early versions of the BLRO with the pastel colours better the the current version and the old one looked much more impressive in the flesh.

If I can’t get hold of the SS BLRO I think I might end up getting the white gold version at some point.

The watch I really want isn’t out there yet and that would be a SS Coke on oyster!
mhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2020, 03:21 AM   #30
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Guys, what am I missing ? I really don't get the rootbeer.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote