The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 August 2020, 02:00 AM   #1
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

126719BLRO Target Price

Got a call from an AD I've worked with that they have a 126719BLRO in stock and on reserve for me. I was really holding out for the meteorite dial version, but one available is the blue one.

The secondary market seems kind of soft for these given the price-point and I see them posted on Gray for around $39.5k in new condition.

I'm offered it at retail $38,250 + tax = $40,784.

Given that I don't want to pay $1k extra for the privilege of having my name on the warranty card.. where should I try to end up on this purchase off of MSRP?
ScottishRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 02:02 AM   #2
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
Don't buy it and hold out for a meteorite dial. I'm sure you'll get dibs on the next one they receive if you respectfully turn the blue down.
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 02:16 AM   #3
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexest View Post
Don't buy it and hold out for a meteorite dial. I'm sure you'll get dibs on the next one they receive if you respectfully turn the blue down.
Thanks- this validates my initial thought.

I need to go pick up something else I ordered from them tomorrow, so will take a look anyway.

If I could get it at a price that would be below gray and could enjoy it for a bit/ get out relatively unscathed when the meteorite one came about I would- but that doesn't seem realistic today.
Old 21 August 2020, 02:20 AM   #4
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Hold out for the meteorite version. My 2c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 02:28 AM   #5
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cde1218 View Post
Thanks- this validates my initial thought.

I need to go pick up something else I ordered from them tomorrow, so will take a look anyway.

If I could get it at a price that would be below gray and could enjoy it for a bit/ get out relatively unscathed when the meteorite one came about I would- but that doesn't seem realistic today.
You could do that but I wouldn't risk the relationship with your AD for a few months of wear if they find out that you flipped it. Let your first experience with the wg pepsi be with the dial you like so that you thoroughly enjoy it.
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 02:28 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Got a call from an AD I've worked with that they have a 126719BLRO in stock and on reserve for me. I was really holding out for the meteorite dial version, but one available is the blue one.

The secondary market seems kind of soft for these given the price-point and I see them posted on Gray for around $39.5k in new condition.

Given that I don't want to pay $1k extra for the privilege of having my name on the warranty card.. where should I try to end up on this purchase off of MSRP?
Well it depends do you buy a Rolex for what the market dictates its worth, or do you buy the watch you yourself want to own and wear.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 02:40 AM   #7
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well it depends do you buy a Rolex for what the market dictates its worth, or do you buy the watch you yourself want to own and wear.
I buy for what I like 9/10 times.

In this case- I like both, but there appears to be an ability to buy it for less money through a gray cheaper than I can the AD after tax.

So, clearly, I’m not opposed to buying it- I am just looking for guidance on what a reasonable expectation of under MSRP is on this model.
Old 21 August 2020, 03:38 AM   #8
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
First, wow, I wish I had your sales tax rate where I lived.

Second, the spread in price between AD and Grey is not huge and to me I would be willing to pay that spread to get $40K more under my belt with my AD to increase my purchasing clout. Not to mention getting a true BNIB.

My 2 cents.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 03:39 AM   #9
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Three ways to look at this. Is the problem you want the meteorite dial and not the blue dial? or is the problem that on the secondary market you can get a lower total price for the blue dial? If you want the other dial, easy answer, decline the blue dial and wait a few more years for the meteorite dial to show up. If it's about the price, then ask for a discount which you probably will not get from the AD. Then you just buy the watch on the secondary market and save with no sales tax. Where I live in CA we are required to report use tax and pay sales tax for out of state purchases. Up to you to pay the taxes. Third issue is, are there any 126719 blue dials out there at an asking price below retail? So I wouldn't pay any premium plus tax, I would buy from the AD with the sales tax. By the way, If it's a new card, no names on the new warranty cards.
Old 21 August 2020, 03:48 AM   #10
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Hmm, I just did a quick scan online, and I don't see any blue dials listed under $42K. Quick search, not exhaustive.

Also, it appears there are many more meteorite dials on the grey market than the blue dials. The 6 most recent listings in our sales forum here are for the meteorite dial. Not sure why the meteorite is commanding higher prices with more of them listed for sale.
Old 21 August 2020, 03:55 AM   #11
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
Three ways to look at this. Is the problem you want the meteorite dial and not the blue dial? or is the problem that on the secondary market you can get a lower total price for the blue dial? If you want the other dial, easy answer, decline the blue dial and wait a few more years for the meteorite dial to show up. If it's about the price, then ask for a discount which you probably will not get from the AD. Then you just buy the watch on the secondary market and save with no sales tax. Where I live in CA we are required to report use tax and pay sales tax for out of state purchases. Up to you to pay the taxes. Third issue is, are there any 126719 blue dials out there at an asking price below retail? So I wouldn't pay any premium plus tax, I would buy from the AD with the sales tax. By the way, If it's a new card, no names on the new warranty cards.
This is good advice and good questions.

1- it’s not a problem, but I have had my eye on the meteorite and never considered blue. I like both.
2- it’s about price, I’m going to see if I can get 5-10% discount. If I cannot then I’ll pass and can always go gray.
3- offer today was retail, not premium so that’s good.
Old 21 August 2020, 03:56 AM   #12
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Hmm, I just did a quick scan online, and I don't see any blue dials listed under $42K. Quick search, not exhaustive.

Also, it appears there are many more meteorite dials on the grey market than the blue dials. The 6 most recent listings in our sales forum here are for the meteorite dial. Not sure why the meteorite is commanding higher prices with more of them listed for sale.
I saw similar on chrono24, but watches seem to sit forever there and that’s asking price not necessarily sales.

Where did you see those prices?
Old 21 August 2020, 04:01 AM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

If you really want Meteorite , wait for it.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 04:06 AM   #14
G.D.BeanCounter
Banned

Watch: Sky DayDate 2
Watchbox has a black dial listed for $34K. Not sure if Rolex is still doing the dial swaps, or how long it would take, but if you're looking to see how low you can go on getting to the blue dial, this route may be an option.
G.D.BeanCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 04:08 AM   #15
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
If you decide to pass on this, you might not see a meteorite GMT for a long time from your AD. Could possibly even be discontinued before you get a call for it. The meteorite GMT are very sought after so could even go to somebody else. I don't think the blue one is going to fill the void for you though it doesn't seem like what you want.

Buy meteorite, on the grey market is what i would do in your shoes.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 04:53 AM   #16
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I saw similar on chrono24, but watches seem to sit forever there and that’s asking price not necessarily sales.

Where did you see those prices?
I looked at Chrono too. I just did a quick glance.
Old 21 August 2020, 05:21 AM   #17
imsayingthough
"TRF" Member

I would buy it and wear it until the meteorite dial comes around sell it then.
imsayingthough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 06:41 AM   #18
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
if you really want meteorite , wait for it.
+1
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 08:38 AM   #19
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsayingthough View Post
I would buy it and wear it until the meteorite dial comes around sell it then.
This was, and still is my plan. It’ll be based on what I can get it for though. If it’s 5-10% below MSRP then I’ll do it. At full retail plus tax is rather not take the likely $5k loss when selling it as I’m assuming it’d go ~$35k in used but good condition.
Old 21 August 2020, 08:50 AM   #20
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This was, and still is my plan. It’ll be based on what I can get it for though. If it’s 5-10% below MSRP then I’ll do it. At full retail plus tax is rather not take the likely $5k loss when selling it as I’m assuming it’d go ~$35k in used but good condition.
Bingo! You’re going to pay $2,000-2,500 in sales tax... so, if you don’t get at least 10% off, you’ll end up losing a few thousand on this — unless you have a friend or colleague who you know will buy it from you at close to list.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 08:57 AM   #21
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Sounds like you want the meterotie dial.

That said, in that price range $1000 really isn’t really all that significant IMHO
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 09:05 AM   #22
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:

As for 1k extra, I wouldn't care about 1k savings over 40k purchase to go grey. Might just be me, but I'd pay that 1k extra to pick it up from an AD. Perhaps use it as a relationship builder. If not, it's still like 2.5% of value of the watch. I would be willing to pay that to pick it up from AD, but that might just be me.

That being said, I'd wait out for meteroite dial. It is more special and looks better IMO. Also, if that's what you want anything else will just feel like settling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.D.BeanCounter View Post
Watchbox has a black dial listed for $34K. Not sure if Rolex is still doing the dial swaps, or how long it would take, but if you're looking to see how low you can go on getting to the blue dial, this route may be an option.
Pretty sure that's the 116719, not the 126719. Blue dial 116719 might be rarer long term than 126719 if it is important to you.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 09:07 AM   #23
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Why don’t you just tell your sales rep what you’re feeling. That you really want meteorite dial but if it’s slim to no chance of seeing one in a reasonable time frame tell them I like the blue dial but don’t want to take a hit if you have to sell it to purchase the meteorite.

I think they will appreciate the honesty and you might be pleasantly surprised with what they come back at you with.

In any case all the best and good luck with your purchase decision

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 01:52 AM   #24
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Twist in the plot- went to AD today. They had both the blue and the meteorite. Meteorite was on hold for another customer but rep said he may want the blue instead. If that happens meteor is mine.

I let him know where I was trying to be on the blue one, and am ready to buy either... let’s see how this plays out..... they can sell meteor to him at retail and me the other below or we could sell me meteor at retail and blue to other guy at retail.... or one to him at retail and non to me..... fingers crossed I get meteor truly my grail piece.
Old 22 August 2020, 02:05 AM   #25
JayHantz

Watch: @Escapementt
Quote:
Twist in the plot- went to AD today. They had both the blue and the meteorite. Meteorite was on hold for another customer but rep said he may want the blue instead. If that happens meteor is mine.

I let him know where I was trying to be on the blue one, and am ready to buy either... let’s see how this plays out..... they can sell meteor to him at retail and me the other below or we could sell me meteor at retail and blue to other guy at retail.... or one to him at retail and non to me..... fingers crossed I get meteor truly my grail piece.
I love plot twists! I hope that he wants the blue and you can grab the meteorite. Would love to have one in my collection but I definitely don't think I can pull that off. Let us know what happens!
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 02:06 AM   #26
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:

Sounds like it could be a win-win for you… Keep us posted
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 02:41 AM   #27
ScottishRolex
2024 Pledge Member

They called me- guy wanted to stick with meteor and they agreed to come off ~ 10% on the blue "because I am a great customer".

Picking it up this evening.
Old 22 August 2020, 02:46 AM   #28
GB-man

Watch: addiction issues
Enjoy it
Old 22 August 2020, 02:49 AM   #29
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Good to hear it worked out. Let’s see a picture

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2020, 02:52 AM   #30
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They called me- guy wanted to stick with meteor and they agreed to come off ~ 10% on the blue "because I am a great customer".

Picking it up this evening.
Reasonable OTD number. Congrats!
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote