The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 14 December 2020, 05:17 AM   #1
Solitaire
"TRF" Member

Should I sell my old Planet Ocean 45,5, cal2500 and get the New Sub ?

Hi,
I've buy the PO back in 2018 as my first luxe watch and I was in love with it.
However having a small wirst, like 16,8 cm, I have sometime the feelings to have a too large watch, making it too sporty.

2021 will be a great year as my second child will come to Earth.
To celebrate that I have to make a choice.
1. Get an AT 41mm as second watch, for around 4000e
2. Sell the PO for 3000e and add 4500 to get the new Sub

My question is then, how superior, beside esthétique, is the Sub comparing to my PO ?

I would like to keep that watch for the rest of my life, keep only two or max 3 watchs, so I might buy maybe the AT later on the grey or second hand market.

In my mind Omega is great but still remain on Rolex shadow.

What are your thoughts?
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 09:55 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a huge Rolex fan and own 10 watches from them right now so my response my seem a little off. I think the Submariner is a great watch and it is where I started and I have owned ever version and metal over the years. But I find the watches uninspiring and overpriced for what they are. I also see them everywhere so any kind of unique factor is out the window. With that said, if you want a Rolex and will not be satisfied until you have one then that is a different conversation. If you have been following the Rolex market you can not just walk in and buy one, so you have a Grey Market or AD games to play unless you just luck up. Look at the Omega Seamaster 300 for an alternative and save yourself thousands of dollars and the AD will discount and they are in inventory. Some great videos are on YouTube comparing the Submariner and the Seamaster 300. I own the white dial and the blue dial. Check it out and see if it might work for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200229_123709 (002).jpg (210.1 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg 20200611_121500 (002).jpg (206.8 KB, 311 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 10:04 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum

You'll get varied responses to your question based on which forum you post in

What I'll say is that if you have a small wrist and you want classic sizing , there's no better watch than the Submariner in my humble opinion.

The PO is a great watch, but there's no denying it wears big. I had similar experiences with the Rolex Dblue and SD43 ... they are fantastic watches but again IMHO they are rotation watches.

For daily wear its really hard to argue against the Submariner

Edit: 7” flat wrist for comparison

20200922_122848.jpg20201002_103732.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 10:59 PM   #4
shalako
"TRF" Member

Your very unlikely to get a considered balanced view on a Rolex Forum even if this is an Omega sub forum, don’t forget that the ‘herd that follows’ will always act hysterically at the mere mention of a Rolex Submariner.
If you want a Rolex that the rest of the world and his wife already owns then go for the Submariner, they are great watches - otherwise I would stick with the classic 2500 PO you already own and get a nice White dial Diver 300 to get some variety in the collection.

shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 12:12 AM   #5
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I think you should get the Submariner. Is the Sub superior to your Planet Ocean or the Seamaster 300? From a technical standpoint, no. But if you feel that the Omega is in the shadow of Rolex then that's all that really matters. The smaller Sub will likely feel a bit more comfortable to you as well.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 03:12 AM   #6
MasonDixon
"TRF" Member

Since yours is the 45.5mm Planet Ocean, I will say yes. I think the Sub will be a better fit on your wrist. But if you're really in love with the 2500 PO, think about selling the 45.5 and getting a 42.
MasonDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 03:35 AM   #7
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

I would only because of the size. I think the Sub will fit you better. However, take a look at an AT. Could almost buy 2 for the 1 Sub and I think they are better.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 03:47 AM   #8
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

If you can get a confirmed 3k euro for a cal 2500 PO 45mm...do it as soon as you can and shift into Submariner.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 04:06 AM   #9
Cassidy776
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I am a huge Rolex fan and own 10 watches from them right now so my response my seem a little off. I think the Submariner is a great watch and it is where I started and I have owned ever version and metal over the years. But I find the watches uninspiring and overpriced for what they are. I also see them everywhere so any kind of unique factor is out the window. With that said, if you want a Rolex and will not be satisfied until you have one then that is a different conversation. If you have been following the Rolex market you can not just walk in and buy one, so you have a Grey Market or AD games to play unless you just luck up. Look at the Omega Seamaster 300 for an alternative and save yourself thousands of dollars and the AD will discount and they are in inventory. Some great videos are on YouTube comparing the Submariner and the Seamaster 300. I own the white dial and the blue dial. Check it out and see if it might work for you.
The original PO 2500 is a great watch.......had one on a Shark Cage Mesh bracelet when they first came out. Wouldn't even think of moving from that to a Seamaster in lieu of a Sub. Wouldn't even consider moving from a PO to a Seamaster, period!!..........seems like a downgrade.

As far as moving from a PO 2500to a Sub.........only you can answer that!!!!.......
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 04:30 AM   #10
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
If you can find a submariner through an AD, then yes.

If you are going gray, no. Get an AT and enjoy your original PO plus a gorgeous new watch in AT.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 05:10 AM   #11
Solitaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonDixon View Post
Since yours is the 45.5mm Planet Ocean, I will say yes. I think the Sub will be a better fit on your wrist. But if you're really in love with the 2500 PO, think about selling the 45.5 and getting a 42.
Could be a wise choice.
Not sure if I might find a PO 2500 42mm in mint shape for a raesonable price but if might do the job, without loosing money, or not that much.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 05:18 AM   #12
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I have the 116610 Sub and the older AT 8500 (bought when my second daughter was born). Two very different watches. Overall the sub is more comfortable and better balanced. Glidelock on the Sub is amazing.

My issues with the AT are no micro adjustment on the bracelet, and I'm not a fan of the jumping hour hand to change the date. My watch has been back to Omega three times in 8 years including a full service to fix the jumping hour hand "not jumping" issue.

With that said I love them both as they are super versatile and can be worn doing anything anywhere. To me they are great in a rotation.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 05:26 AM   #13
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Easy for me. Get the Submariner.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 05:31 AM   #14
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I mean I like the PO, but only in the smaller size. The 45.5 is a large watch. That said, you bought it and apparently liked it. I would sit on this for a while and make sure it’s not just an itch for a new watch and the dopamine squirt that comes with it and a genuine feeling that the PO is not a good fit. Now, if you just like the sub more get it, but there will be new watches every year. What differentiates a Rolex from an Apple Watch is that one is disposable and the other is not, but when you flip all the time, they don’t really have any meaning other than objects.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 06:22 AM   #15
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
If you have a Rolex itch, an AT on top of a watch you already have doubts on may not scratch it.

For me, I’d probably add the AT as I’d have zero chance of getting a sub at retail.

If you can, then do that all day and don’t look back. A sub is a fantastic one and done
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 06:27 AM   #16
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
The 45.5 mm PO is a big watch that serves the purpose it was designed for and that is diving. The larger dial, marker and hands give the watch more visibility under water. Also the watch was offered with metal bracelet, tang buckle rubber strap, rubber strap on deployant all easily adjustable to fit over a rubber dive suit, but not necessarily under your wool bespoke suit. With your wrist 16,8 cm you have so many watches from 36mm to 40 that will suit you nicely. The SUB is a smaller 40mm, thinner than a PO, and also serves as a very good diver. The new SUB 126610 measures 41 across the bezel.
Old 15 December 2020, 07:44 AM   #17
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I have a Sub 114060 and a PO 8500, 42mm. No doubt the PO is a fantastic piece. However when it comes down to it, get the Sub if you can. You won't be sorry.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 07:55 AM   #18
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

I have a 114060, have had it over a year, and I'm just now starting to appreciate it...but that was after I took it off the bracelet and have been putting it on some straps (weirdly, I think it's amazing on seamaster pro black rubber and the snoopy 45 strap).

That said, I love the PO lineup and find it as more interesting of a watch. I don't know if it can pull off almost every situation as the sub can, but i like it.

Have you thought about swapping out the 45.5 for a 39mm version? I also second the idea that if you have a Rolex itch you need to scratch, getting an AT won't cut it.

Ultimately, depends on you. Which watch do you love more? That's what you should go with!
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 09:02 AM   #19
Dave455
"TRF" Member

The Planet Ocean 45mm is a big watch. All the Planet Oceans tend to be thick too, which is why they wear so large, so it probably is a bit big for you. It would be big for me!

The Submariner is a better watch than the Planet Ocean. It’s also thinner, and wears better. If you want a watch for life, it’s a great choice. Is it worth what you will have to pay? That’s harder to answer. Given that you will have to pay a lot, and get no discount (if you can actually get a watch at all) I’m not convinced right now.

Bear in mind also, that I think that Sub’s are now priced a bit beyond what I’m comfortable with for an everyday watch, so you will probably want one or two less costly pieces, that are still good.

The Aqua Terra is a great watch, probably great as an every day piece, but it’s a very different style to the others you are considering. Another vote here for the Seamaster 300M. Great watch, loads of variations, good quality, and a lot easier to wear. If you want something different consider the retro Seamaster 300 as well.

I hate selling watches to fund others. You always take a loss if bought new, so personally I’d keep the 45mm Planet Ocean, and either get the Aqua Terra, or a Seamaster!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FF36B140-8A8B-45B1-93F6-E0DF597194E6.jpeg (72.4 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpeg 04CD6A67-3829-4854-8960-FCBE4BF71CC9.jpeg (56.3 KB, 210 views)
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 09:45 AM   #20
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
great replies already. i would just reiterate, the 40mm sub is tiny compared to your PO. this may work out good for your wrist.
i love the sub too and regret selling mine. but am fairly appeased with my new GS since i didn't want to pay current prices for a replacement. i also think you will have a little buyer's remorse if you buy right now.
and i don't think the sub is superior in any way really, except brand recognition and hype.
if you can get a good deal then maybe you should go for it, if you have not owned a rolex i do recommend trying out the waters
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 01:21 PM   #21
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I have the original 42mm Planet Ocean that isn't too large or too thick but the newer 45mm ones are quite big and quite thick if you have smaller wrists. I also have a 114060 and I must say that I like it better, mainly for the looks, but I also paid three times as much for it as I did my Planet Ocean. Still, I don't really think the Rolex is a better watch. If you can get a new 124060 at retail, I'd go for it, as I think it would fit your wrist better and it's going to hold its value. If not, I'd consider a smaller Omega Seamaster.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 06:46 PM   #22
Kevain
"TRF" Member

I have the 42mm 8500, which is a bit fat and heavy. Having said that, I wouldn't trade it for a Submariner, I've got too many fond memories with and of this watch.

If you think Omega's in the shadow of Rolex, get a Rolex and see how that works for you. I had the exact same feeling, and since owning both I don't quite see it like this anymore.

However, my real advice is to not get rid of the PO before trying the Rolex on in your daily life. I bought my Rolex with the clear intent of it being my daily watch, after which I could sell all the rest. And it was for about 3 months, when I started missing my other watches. Luckily I didn't sell them and I could just put them on my wrist again. Now I just rotate to whatever feels right for that day.
Kevain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2020, 11:37 AM   #23
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Probably just rip the bandaid off and get the Sub if you can. Technically Omega is really ever bit as good of watch except it doesn't wear the crown. I have a couple and I go through phases where I am annoyed with the hype and quit wearing them for awhile then I turn around and am a fanboy again.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2020, 12:56 PM   #24
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

That’s a very easy choice. Get the new Sub. That PO is way too big and chunky.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 12:32 AM   #25
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Should I sell my old Planet Ocean 45,5, cal2500 and get the New Sub ?

No, PO looks much better than the Sub. Keep it and get the sub. They will complement each other well. The PO with its thickness and the sub which is worn slimmer.

If you then find yourself never wearing the PO after buying the sub (but give it six months for the charm of the new watch to wear off), then sell it.