The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 3 January 2021, 12:06 PM   #1
logo
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster in water

Happy New Year all,

I posted this in a different thread in the general section recently, but wanted to repost here to see what the Omega Speedmaster owners have to say.

I don’t own a speedmaster, but I have been interested in this piece for many years and have been considering getting one. Recently, I’ve been hearing about speedmaster water resistance concerns, and as an engineer that got me curious and as a potential owner I wanted to get to the bottom of it before purchasing.

Omega states on their website that “Each and every OMEGA watch in the current collection is tested in water during production up to its relative pressure reference.” So, the speedmaster is rated to 50m of water pressure, according to Omega. Seems like that should be the end of the story and is satisfactory to me as long as the pushers aren’t being used, but let’s consider further anyways.

Often times I’ve heard the statement, especially among sales associates, that “while you swim it creates extra dynamic pressure on the watch.” While true, I believe this is grossly overstated - the amount of hydrostatic pressure from aggressive swimming is probably less than 10% of 1 atmosphere - far less than the pressure from a 50m column of water. Turbulent flow is what is probably being referring to, and that should have no consequence as long as the gaskets are in decent shape.

So then what of the gaskets? Many people also say that heat like hot tubs will wear down the gaskets and risk ruining them. Well a hot tub is what, 100-105 degrees F that you sit in for 15-20 min? A hot day in Phoenix is worse than that. And, we know astronauts wear the watch doing EVAs, where temperatures range from -250 to +250 F within a 45 minute period which arguably has far more influence on gasket integrity than a few minutes in a hot tub where the relative water/outdoor temp difference might be 70-90 F even in the dead of a Montana winter.

NASA also tested the speedmaster for shock, extreme g forces, as well as humidity and pressure, far higher than what most of us will experience. Makes me think the speedmaster is fine for golf as well, but that’s a different topic.

So based on this, I’m left to believe that as long as you are getting regular maintenance, and not using the pushers under water, a speedmaster is more than capable of handling a bit of water like hand washing, showering, floating in a pool and probably a hot tub as well. Recall that pre-shuttle Astronauts used to land in water. Of course if the pushers get hit accidentally underwater that’s a different story, and by no means is the speedmaster a dive watch, but in terms of everyday water exposures from shallow submersion I’m not seeing the concern, unless I’m completely missing something?

Any thoughts, opinions, experiences, criticisms all welcome.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 05:26 PM   #2
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

You’ll get a lot of varying opinions on this. A lot of people are scared to get water on their Speedmaster, but I’ve been wearing various Speedies for many years and never had a problem with water ingress. I even wash them in the sink under running water just like my other watches.

Like you noted, just make sure it gets a pressure test regularly if you’re swimming with it. Remember, NASA abused these things way more than you ever will. Enjoy!
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 06:16 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Happy New Year all,

I posted this in a different thread in the general section recently, but wanted to repost here to see what the Omega Speedmaster owners have to say.

I don’t own a speedmaster, but I have been interested in this piece for many years and have been considering getting one. Recently, I’ve been hearing about speedmaster water resistance concerns, and as an engineer that got me curious and as a potential owner I wanted to get to the bottom of it before purchasing.

Omega states on their website that “Each and every OMEGA watch in the current collection is tested in water during production up to its relative pressure reference.” So, the speedmaster is rated to 50m of water pressure, according to Omega. Seems like that should be the end of the story and is satisfactory to me as long as the pushers aren’t being used, but let’s consider further anyways.

50 metres is 50 metres. If your Speedy seals are ok you can dive to that depth with a safety margin.

Often times I’ve heard the statement, especially among sales associates, that “while you swim it creates extra dynamic pressure on the watch.” While true, I believe this is grossly overstated - the amount of hydrostatic pressure from aggressive swimming is probably less than 10% of 1 atmosphere - far less than the pressure from a 50m column of water. Turbulent flow is what is probably being referring to, and that should have no consequence as long as the gaskets are in decent shape.

Splash as much as you want at 50 metres it will make no difference to the water resistance.

So then what of the gaskets? Many people also say that heat like hot tubs will wear down the gaskets and risk ruining them. Well a hot tub is what, 100-105 degrees F that you sit in for 15-20 min? A hot day in Phoenix is worse than that. And, we know astronauts wear the watch doing EVAs, where temperatures range from -250 to +250 F within a 45 minute period which arguably has far more influence on gasket integrity than a few minutes in a hot tub where the relative water/outdoor temp difference might be 70-90 F even in the dead of a Montana winter.

If you can take it your Speedy will.

NASA also tested the speedmaster for shock, extreme g forces, as well as humidity and pressure, far higher than what most of us will experience. Makes me think the speedmaster is fine for golf as well, but that’s a different topic.

If you are a scratch golfer .. well ok...if you smack a rock or a tree root on the downswing you are on your own for a possible service and a wrist splint?

So based on this, I’m left to believe that as long as you are getting regular maintenance, and not using the pushers under water, a speedmaster is more than capable of handling a bit of water like hand washing, showering, floating in a pool and probably a hot tub as well. Recall that pre-shuttle Astronauts used to land in water. Of course if the pushers get hit accidentally underwater that’s a different story, and by no means is the speedmaster a dive watch, but in terms of everyday water exposures from shallow submersion I’m not seeing the concern, unless I’m completely missing something.

Any thoughts, opinions, experiences, criticisms all welcome.
You have this sorted.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 07:03 PM   #4
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

I believe the pushers are the weak spot although I’m trying to work out how you’d accidentally push them! Saying that I have a lovely last year tritium dial with creamy markers and I’m not sure I’d risk it if I had other more suitable pieces.
Old 3 January 2021, 08:28 PM   #5
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
You’ll get a lot of varying opinions on this. A lot of people are scared to get water on their Speedmaster, but I’ve been wearing various Speedies for many years and never had a problem with water ingress. I even wash them in the sink under running water just like my other watches.

Like you noted, just make sure it gets a pressure test regularly if you’re swimming with it. Remember, NASA abused these things way more than you ever will. Enjoy!
I agree. I also wash my Speedmaster Pro under the tap every now and then (seems to be twice each year, when I'm doing my seasonal buff of the crystal and swap between bracelet and strap). Otherwise, I avoid wearing it in the pool.

AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 08:45 PM   #6
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

I wasn't overly cautious until I had two CK2998's with condensation issues. With the second I was careful and still had the same issue. I've not had any issues with regular Speedmaster Professionals but no longer treat my Speedmasters as suitable for swimming in or even running under a tap........
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 01:07 AM   #7
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
I would just be careful with the pushers underwater. You never know when you are horsing around with kids or something and they grab your wrist. I never wore my Moonwatch in the water for that reason. My Moonphase Speedy had double the water resistance and I do swim with it. No issues.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 02:34 AM   #8
woowoo
Banned

This post is exactly what i expect from an engineer. Lot of technical talk. Clearly a smart guy. Apparently doesn’t know how to use the search function on this website though.
woowoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 04:11 AM   #9
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woowoo View Post
This post is exactly what i expect from an engineer. Lot of technical talk. Clearly a smart guy. Apparently doesn’t know how to use the search function on this website though.
I can use it just fine. Engineers like to solve problems and if there are no problems available we create one.

In any case, I felt my comments differed enough from previous threads to make a post. Sorry.
Old 4 January 2021, 04:14 AM   #10
logo
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the replies. I agree it’s the pushers that seem to be the main concern, and agree that if you can avoid using it in the water then all the better. However, it does seem that for routine or unexpected water exposure it should really be fine if you’re careful with the pushers.
Old 4 January 2021, 04:22 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Thanks all for the replies. I agree it’s the pushers that seem to be the main concern, and agree that if you can avoid using it in the water then all the better. However, it does seem that for routine or unexpected water exposure it should really be fine if you’re careful with the pushers.
The Speedy is not intended to be a water-sports watch. However, as you surmise, it is more than capable of being around, and even in, water without issue as long as the seals remain intact.

I have been in the Caribbean and snorkeled with a Speedy, without issue. I felt that the watch was much safer on my wrist than most any other place in this instance.
Old 4 January 2021, 04:39 AM   #12
Thrasher36
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 216570
I have never worn mine in the water..it really doesn't seem like the right watch for water sports
Thrasher36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2021, 05:16 AM   #13
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The Speedy is not intended to be a water-sports watch. However, as you surmise, it is more than capable of being around, and even in, water without issue as long as the seals remain intact.

I have been in the Caribbean and snorkeled with a Speedy, without issue. I felt that the watch was much safer on my wrist than most any other place in this instance.
That is the real crux of the issue for me.

care free enjoyment of the watch requires a confident WR. For me that starts at 100m.

50m gives me the same expectation as a typical dress watch at 30m but at 30m I am clear that I am not going to swim and I am not going to bring such watch on vacation. The typical dress watch is usually on a leather strap which also sets the table for expected use... no swimming and no showering simply for the sake of the leather.
Old 6 January 2021, 08:25 AM   #14
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
https://www.swisswatchexpo.com/TheWa...ter-resistant/

This is a representative article on Swiss WR meanings. Its not what you think.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 08:51 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
This is what Omega has to say about their water ratings.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ter+resistance
Old 6 January 2021, 06:02 PM   #16
Kevain
"TRF" Member

I love how as a kid I would have a watch with 5m water resistance and swim with it. I was never 5m under water anyway. Never had a problem, although I must admit I changed watches every other year because even back then it was my thing.

Now I get this 600m water resistant watch and I'm thinking: damn can I wash this under the tap?

Just kidding, I don't think about it at all. But it seems to be a common thread on forums. If the manufacturer stands behind their rating, you're fine if you get it checked out once in a while and don't do stupid things like pressing chrono pushers under water on watches that were not designed to do this.
Kevain is offline   Reply With Quote