The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 3 March 2021, 01:22 PM   #1
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Rubber strap recommendations for SO 42?

I am contemplating a super ocean 42 in black. I doubt I will wear it on the steel bracelet much but I always get the bracelet with purchase as it is cheaper if you want the metal bracelet later (easier to downgrade to rubber than upgrade later to steel). I like steel but really like rubber straps on dive watches.

What is the best quality rubber band to reto fit on the Superocean 42? I am not opposed to OEM but don’t want to pay a premium if the quality does not warrant the price.

Edit: Would be first Breitling
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 09:50 PM   #2
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Good question, not sure as I never looked beyond OEM straps. But I'm definitely a P3 braclet man myself. Super comfy and fits easier under a cuff than a rubber strap.
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2021, 01:01 AM   #3
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I have both, but prefer the adjustable clasp rubber on the SO 42. I use this mostly as a summer and beach type watch and fine the rubber works better for me. The adjustments on the clasp are a major plus in the hot weather

Breitling SO Wrist 1.jpeg
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2021, 12:54 PM   #4
Camdamonium
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot DepecheMode
OEM Rubber is *super pricey* at $75 lol. No need to look for aftermarket...

Now if you want an OEM clasp, that does get pricey. OEM deployment is $450. OEM double tang I believe is around $100 or $125.

Two options I'd recommend:
1) If the watch is new, negotiate for an additional strap & clasp. Usually, straps & clasps have heavy mark up, they will give a good discount if it's with the purchase of a new Breitling.
2) If you are buying pre-owned, source the strap direct from Breitling's website BNIB then source a strap pre-owned from the forums or ebay. That's the best routes. I buy spare clasps up whenever I run across them pre-owned, which is not often.
Camdamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2021, 04:08 AM   #5
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdamonium View Post
OEM Rubber is *super pricey* at $75 lol. No need to look for aftermarket...

Now if you want an OEM clasp, that does get pricey. OEM deployment is $450. OEM double tang I believe is around $100 or $125.

Two options I'd recommend:
1) If the watch is new, negotiate for an additional strap & clasp. Usually, straps & clasps have heavy mark up, they will give a good discount if it's with the purchase of a new Breitling.
2) If you are buying pre-owned, source the strap direct from Breitling's website BNIB then source a strap pre-owned from the forums or ebay. That's the best routes. I buy spare clasps up whenever I run across them pre-owned, which is not often.
Thanks!
I will probably buy OEM strap with aftermarket buckle. As you say, tons of markup and while I would prefer to have all OEM but have a hard time paying that sort of premium to have the brand name on the buckle. Will give it a go with steel bracelet for a while at first. Currently wear a DJ 41 on oyster and my Oris Aquis on rubber and tag carrera on leather even though the last two were purchased on steel bracelets.

Oyster is super comfy. I found the Oris bracelet to be a bit chunky for my tastes. The tag, while comfortable lacked micro adjustments and looks great on leather to boot.
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote