The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 April 2021, 06:32 AM   #1
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Wish list VS Waiting list Funny Story

Just a silly little story for you guys today. Always verify with your AD if they've placed you on the "Wish List" or the Waiting List", because if you're on the wish list you're basically never going to get the watch you're waiting for.

I just followed up with an AD that had placed me on a list 2 years ago, upon following up with them today I've been advised that I'm not actually on a waiting list but actually the wish list, and they had zero update for me in terms of timeframe or if I'd ever actually receive the watch. So that's 2 years of waiting down the drain, but to be fair I didn't think they'd ever follow through anyways.

Upon prodding further on the phone call they did say they work with priority customers first but would not divulge anything further in terms of how to become a priority customer, but we all know what that means anyways.

Let the games continue!
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 06:40 AM   #2
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Usually I'm on the third list which is the waste bin list.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 06:42 AM   #3
DanB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116503/126610LN
I was on the "wish list" for a non date sub for over 2 years - bought one grey when they were discontinued last year
Got the call finally for a date sub (alternative option to my request as was told they were getting less non dates than dates this year) in February this year and bought it possibly due to a "recommendation" from a friend who buys a lot of top end watches.
Am now on the "waiting list" for a TT Daytona and OP28 guaranteed this year

Waiting and some good friends can work out
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 06:46 AM   #4
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Sorry to hear. Sounds like you recognized early on and hopefully didn’t let 1 AD string you along
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 06:49 AM   #5
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Old 1 April 2021, 06:50 AM   #6
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Sorry to hear. Sounds like you recognized early on and hopefully didn’t let 1 AD string you along
Yes I've learned to string them back after many years of playing these games lol
Old 1 April 2021, 06:54 AM   #7
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
I was on the "wish list" for a non date sub for over 2 years - bought one grey when they were discontinued last year
Got the call finally for a date sub (alternative option to my request as was told they were getting less non dates than dates this year) in February this year and bought it possibly due to a "recommendation" from a friend who buys a lot of top end watches.
Am now on the "waiting list" for a TT Daytona and OP28 guaranteed this year

Waiting and some good friends can work out
I have no idea what a wish list could possibly be honestly, maybe it's when they have an unexpected extra model - but how often does that happen? I guess a friend recommendation can work sometimes but you also have the other side of the coin where the AD wont want to annoy your friend who's spent tons of cash by giving you a SS sports models with no purchase history. I'd assume your friend would need to be "in on the deal" somehow.
Old 1 April 2021, 06:55 AM   #8
vh2k
"TRF" Member

It goes like this...

Customer vet/qualify list >
Wish list >
Interest list >
Serious interest list >
Wait list >
Call list

vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 06:58 AM   #9
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
It goes like this...

Customer vet/qualify list >
Wish list >
Interest list >
Serious interest list >
Wait list >
Call list

Couldn't get more accurate than this lol.
Old 1 April 2021, 07:03 AM   #10
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
The AD and Rolex factory situation could not be more aggravating.
Old 1 April 2021, 07:06 AM   #11
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
The AD and Rolex factory situation could not be more aggravating.
Totally what a crazy situation, we're all used to that now thought aren't we. This was just a special case with a low quality AD, to tell me I'm on a wish list after two years. A decent AD would provide a little more support after such a long wait period.
Old 1 April 2021, 11:09 AM   #12
Rafeeq
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
Ugh, sorry to hear this, Matt. I would be hugely steamed, but sounds like you're rolling with the punches OK.
Rafeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 11:25 AM   #13
sond86
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
No formalities in my case. I don’t think I’m on a list but my sales rep may randomly call with something available which may or may not be something I’m after.
Or I spontaneously might pop in and my lucky day something might be offered
sond86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 12:00 PM   #14
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I like the story someone told once where it went like this:

Ad: “We don’t have any models for you right now James. But fear not John we have added you to our list. We assure you Jeff, you will be first to get the call when your model comes in. Have a good day Jake.”

George: “uh ok. Thanks”
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 12:00 PM   #15
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I’ve never heard my AD mention a wish list. They do keep real lists for certain models, I know from experience because I got my last two new watches after being told where I was in line and about how long it would take, early both times.
They’re trying something new with the OP’s. Each SA keeps their own client list and they rotate each one that arrives.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 12:08 PM   #16
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
I have no idea what a wish list could possibly be honestly, maybe it's when they have an unexpected extra model - but how often does that happen? I guess a friend recommendation can work sometimes but you also have the other side of the coin where the AD wont want to annoy your friend who's spent tons of cash by giving you a SS sports models with no purchase history. I'd assume your friend would need to be "in on the deal" somehow.
I suppose it's theoretically possible that the AD calls everyone on their "real" list when a hot SS model arrives and falls short on anyone actually wanting to claim it for any number of reasons (don't want it anymore, purchased somewhere else, et.c). In this scenario, they just may tap into that so-called wish list you are on. I dunno... maybe just wishful thinking.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2021, 10:49 PM   #17
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post

Ad: “We don’t have any models for you right now James. But fear not John we have added you to our list. We assure you Jeff, you will be first to get the call when your model comes in. Have a good day Jake.”

Another accurate story lol.
Old 1 April 2021, 11:38 PM   #18
time.onmyhands
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
The “list” is a fluid situation I would assume. I thought about this last week as I picked up my 124060; I assume my name being on the “list” longest does nothing for me if I have a less significant purchase history than someone below me (chronologically) on the “list”. So basically a bunch of names for each watch and the AD picks who gets it first. Now I’m tempted to email to make it clear I’m not on this stupid wish list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
time.onmyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 01:06 AM   #19
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Just a silly little story for you guys today. Always verify with your AD if they've placed you on the "Wish List" or the Waiting List", because if you're on the wish list you're basically never going to get the watch you're waiting for.

I just followed up with an AD that had placed me on a list 2 years ago, upon following up with them today I've been advised that I'm not actually on a waiting list but actually the wish list, and they had zero update for me in terms of timeframe or if I'd ever actually receive the watch. So that's 2 years of waiting down the drain, but to be fair I didn't think they'd ever follow through anyways.

Upon prodding further on the phone call they did say they work with priority customers first but would not divulge anything further in terms of how to become a priority customer, but we all know what that means anyways.

Let the games continue!
Yep no surprise
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 03:06 AM   #20
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
if what happened to you happened to me....i would me pissed as hell....waiting for 2 years and finding out you was on the wrong list. I would politely ask for the manager and tell him off.....I am the customer and I am doing them a favor of purchasing a Rolex watch from them, but now its the other way around if you let them think your the lucky one...again, i would never let a business talk beneath me. I would walk out with my head up high...find another AD worth my attention...remember, your doing them a favor...
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 03:20 AM   #21
doramas
Banned

That's one of the reasons why I prefer the Rolex 5-digit with their more reliable 31XX movements.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 03:25 AM   #22
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 03:53 AM   #23
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post
if what happened to you happened to me....i would me pissed as hell....waiting for 2 years and finding out you was on the wrong list. I would politely ask for the manager and tell him off.....I am the customer and I am doing them a favor of purchasing a Rolex watch from them, but now its the other way around if you let them think your the lucky one...again, i would never let a business talk beneath me. I would walk out with my head up high...find another AD worth my attention...remember, your doing them a favor...
I didn't take him seriously to begin with fortunately. I used to see it as "I am the customer and doing them a favour buying a Rolex", but after thinking about it for a long time it's not really true. Because of the grey market values when they sell you for example a SS Daytona, they're essentially giving YOU money because the real value is 2-3 times or whatever it is now. It's easy to see it as black and white, us giving them money for watches but it goes a lot deeper because of the grey market. It sucks for sure.
Old 2 April 2021, 03:59 AM   #24
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I had the same thing happen to me at my AD a few years ago, by the manager. Now, I don’t really have a list situation. If you’re a regular customer they like, the lists disappear. If you drop in once and ask for something that everyone else wants, you’re likely not ever getting a call back.

Outside of a Daytona, meteorite GMT, and maybe a sky-dweller, everything is available within a small window of time. The question becomes, are they going to sell to you. They want to see long term spend vs someone that wants to buy one submariner and leave forever.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 04:05 AM   #25
Gekota
"TRF" Member

Watch: u wearin'?
Quote:
I didn't take him seriously to begin with fortunately. I used to see it as "I am the customer and doing them a favour buying a Rolex", but after thinking about it for a long time it's not really true. Because of the grey market values when they sell you for example a SS Daytona, they're essentially giving YOU money because the real value is 2-3 times or whatever it is now. It's easy to see it as black and white, us giving them money for watches but it goes a lot deeper because of the grey market. It sucks for sure.
The tables have turned for sure, gone are the days where the customer was king, the crown has shifted back to its rightful owner - Rolex!

On a more serious note, I still believe that good things can happen if the AD has a nice impression of the customer.
Gekota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 04:09 AM   #26
fgress3969
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD - YM - BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post

crazy
fgress3969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 05:36 AM   #27
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I had the same thing happen to me at my AD a few years ago, by the manager. Now, I don’t really have a list situation. If you’re a regular customer they like, the lists disappear. If you drop in once and ask for something that everyone else wants, you’re likely not ever getting a call back.

Outside of a Daytona, meteorite GMT, and maybe a sky-dweller, everything is available within a small window of time. The question becomes, are they going to sell to you. They want to see long term spend vs someone that wants to buy one submariner and leave forever.

With this particular AD I am the drop in once guy, which is why I didn't take this situation seriously. I have two other AD's that I have a "real relationship" with and buy my watches from them. I thought it couldn't hurt to get on an extra list, but it turns out it was only the wish list this whole time! I know they wont sell to me but it was an interesting 2 year test nonetheless.
Old 2 April 2021, 05:38 AM   #28
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekota View Post
The tables have turned for sure, gone are the days where the customer was king, the crown has shifted back to its rightful owner - Rolex!

On a more serious note, I still believe that good things can happen if the AD has a nice impression of the customer.
Yes I agree if you connect with the right sales guy it can work out. I've learned to be very careful as some sales reps will pretend to connect with you and steer you towards buying anything but Rolex.
Old 2 April 2021, 05:44 AM   #29
cbalster
"TRF" Member

Here is the AD hierarchy but in the end money fixes everything.

1) Spent no money list = I'm saving your info/data but not really sure what I am going to do with it
2) Spent not enough money yet list = need to sell this person more watches to get them on the next list
3) Spent enough money so far list = get the watch they want when it's their turn so I can send them back to the previous list and sell them more watches to get them back on this list
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2021, 06:09 AM   #30
XtraCrispy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me closely!
My AD has a small waste basket on the floor next to one of their Rolex display cases, it's about 8 feet in from the store entrance in the mall.

Before I go to the mall, I get a piece of paper and write down my name, phone number & email address along with the Rolex watches I'd like to purchase from them.

As I walk by the AD's entrance, I crumple up the paper and toss it into the waste basket next to the display - I figure it's the same thing as handing it to them :)
Rolex Submariner TT 116613LB • Tudor 1926 41mm M91650-0005 • Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY201B.FT6150 • Oris Artelier Date OR733-7670-4051LS • Luminox XS.3505.SC • Alpina AlpinerX AL-283LNO5NAQ6L • Steinhart GMT-OCEAN 1 BLUE RED.2 • Casio G Shock GW-5000-1JF
XtraCrispy is offline   Reply With Quote