The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 12 April 2021, 08:31 PM   #1
smg8
Banned

Warranty query

Hi All,

Sorry for the newbie question, lining up my first potential Breitling purchase....

If I buy from a "grey" dealer is there any downside?

The seller has specified I'd be buying a brand new watch with Breitling warranty, which will be activated when purchased and stamped by a European Breitling AD (I am UK based).

Does this sound legit, is there anything else I ought to look out for?

Many thanks
smg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 09:50 PM   #2
nda
"TRF" Member

That sounds a bit odd.... if you're buying a watch from a grey dealer, it won't be new and the warranty card should already be completed/stamped from when it was new. Buying from a dealer is no bad thing if you get the watch you want - and it's quite likely that the vast bulk of the remaining original warranty is still running.

The downside of buying from a grey dealer is that you end up with a dodgy watch. As is often said on here, 'buy the seller'. If you have faith in the dealer, then that's about the only thing you can rely on. I know a few dealers in the UK and they're 100% reliable - they have to be, or their business wouldn't survive.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 10:39 PM   #3
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda View Post
That sounds a bit odd.... if you're buying a watch from a grey dealer, it won't be new and the warranty card should already be completed/stamped from when it was new. Buying from a dealer is no bad thing if you get the watch you want - and it's quite likely that the vast bulk of the remaining original warranty is still running.

The downside of buying from a grey dealer is that you end up with a dodgy watch. As is often said on here, 'buy the seller'. If you have faith in the dealer, then that's about the only thing you can rely on. I know a few dealers in the UK and they're 100% reliable - they have to be, or their business wouldn't survive.
Thanks NDA, I think I'd interpreted (and you can correct me if I am wrong!) as;

- The place I am considering buying the watch from (Watches World) get my order
- They source the watch brand new from an AD
- AD stamps the warranty card on its way out
- I get the brand new watch with stamped warranty

Am I being naive in my thinking? I guess this is how it came across from the way they explained it, but my knowledge around this is very limited (currently researching!)

Many thanks
Old 12 April 2021, 11:26 PM   #4
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
Sounds like the grey is having the AD drop ship to you, which has worked out fine for me in the past. Greys get some profit, but have access to lower prices from ADs on watches such as Breitling. I did this for a Navitimer, and it must have been registered to me as BUSA sent me a gift to the address the grey sent my watch to. The electronic warranty card doesn't have a name on it, but is registered in their system. This may have changed? Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2021, 01:54 AM   #5
smg8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
Sounds like the grey is having the AD drop ship to you, which has worked out fine for me in the past. Greys get some profit, but have access to lower prices from ADs on watches such as Breitling. I did this for a Navitimer, and it must have been registered to me as BUSA sent me a gift to the address the grey sent my watch to. The electronic warranty card doesn't have a name on it, but is registered in their system. This may have changed? Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thank you sir, much appreciated. Will be trying the watch on this week now shops are open again here, and then giving the seller a proper grilling on exactly what's what! Thank you