The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 May 2021, 07:15 AM   #1
sophiekdethmers
"TRF" Member

Help and Opinions needed please!!!!

Hi guys!

I recently purchased a 36mm Datejust 2 tone MOP, diamond dial brand new from an AD and i can't help but feel that I'm just not in love with it like I hoped. I now this will end up sitting in my closet unloved. I am petite (5'1) with a 5.5inch wrist and wear yellow gold jewelry (earrings and bracelet) and a diamond engagement ring and eternity band. I think deep down my heart is yearning for a 31mm yellow gold 31mm roman or stick dial. I know new these are double the price, so that's not an option, however I'm wondering whether to sell my current watch (at a loss) and get an older yellow gold model. My husband was upset at first, but now supportive of me finding what I love and making up some difference in price if necessary. My question is, am I crazy to trade my brand new 18k watch (after tax) for say a much older 13k gold 31mm presidential even if its what I'd prefer? This has been such a difficult decision and I would truly love any input please. Thanks in advance!
sophiekdethmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 08:33 AM   #2
bp1000
"TRF" Member

You have to be happy. If a slight loss gets you into a watch that you love then it’s worth it.

Have you explained this to your AD? Not all take trades and they don’t give favourable terms but they may do you a decent discount on the other one which may cover some / all of the losses

Ps maybe not your thing but have you considered a small (sizing) Cartier Tank ? In yg or RG they are lovely and work very well on small petite wrists
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 08:53 AM   #3
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiekdethmers View Post
Hi guys!

I recently purchased a 36mm Datejust 2 tone MOP, diamond dial brand new from an AD and i can't help but feel that I'm just not in love with it like I hoped. I now this will end up sitting in my closet unloved. I am petite (5'1) with a 5.5inch wrist and wear yellow gold jewelry (earrings and bracelet) and a diamond engagement ring and eternity band. I think deep down my heart is yearning for a 31mm yellow gold 31mm roman or stick dial. I know new these are double the price, so that's not an option, however I'm wondering whether to sell my current watch (at a loss) and get an older yellow gold model. My husband was upset at first, but now supportive of me finding what I love and making up some difference in price if necessary. My question is, am I crazy to trade my brand new 18k watch (after tax) for say a much older 13k gold 31mm presidential even if its what I'd prefer? This has been such a difficult decision and I would truly love any input please. Thanks in advance!
Two questions:
1. What is the exact model you currently have? 2-tone yellow gold MOP diamond dial on a 36mm DJ (current generation 6-digit 12 series), right? Is it a fluted bezel? On a Jubilee??
2. What is main thing about your watch that doesn't click for you? If it's the size, then your options can be limited. But if it's the dial, you might be able to ask your AD to swap dials through Rolex. It'll come at a cost, but if the option is available you could put in another dial that might sing to you... personally I find the olive dial on the 2-tone YG DJ36 to be absolutely beautiful and stunning in person. The Wimbledon dial is also a beauty in all its variants and would also look stunning on the DJ36. Either of those two would also reduce the visual impact of the watch, making it seem just a bit smaller on the wrist due to the optics of a darker dial. A jubilee bracelet also reduces the perceived size of the watch, in my opinion, as compared to the oyster options.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:43 AM   #4
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiekdethmers View Post
Hi guys!

I don't think you're crazy at all. Given everything you've shared, I agree that a 31 mm yellow gold is the best fit for you. Hopefully you'll get a lot of value back for your new watch, and are able to find an appropriate pre-owned gold 31 mm. Best wishes
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:47 AM   #5
jpwv
Banned

No. You gotta love it. I would rather pay double and be in love than 1/2 and meh.
jpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:50 AM   #6
dannymiller
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Tudor
I don't mind losing a few bucks for my happiness. If it gives me joy and peace of mind, I'll do it.
dannymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 01:33 AM   #7
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
You should get what you like and what makes you happy provided it doesn't leave you eating Ramen Noodles and PBJs for the next 3-6 months.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 01:38 AM   #8
Haveapair
Banned

Sorry you are stuck with it
Haveapair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 01:41 AM   #9
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Have you handled an older 31mm gold DJ? I suggest you do that before making any decision.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote