The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 July 2021, 07:26 AM   #1
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLNR
Birth Year watch suggestion

I'm looking into getting a birth year watch. since i'm a total noob with vintage pieces, i'm gonna look for suggestions on sport models on my birth year (1985).

anything special with the dials or done in a small production? any input would be great.

Here are the following models i saw for that year:

1016 Explorer
16550 Explorer II
5513 Submariner
16750 GMT
6263 Daytona
lilokito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 07:49 AM   #2
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Good luck on your search, OP! If you have the pockets for a special piece, why not.

Being a vintage noob, it can be a minefield. I’d go vanilla with a birth year DJ. That’s just me. I have a lack of deep pockets for vintage watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 12:16 PM   #3
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
Good luck on your search, OP! If you have the pockets for a special piece, why not.

Being a vintage noob, it can be a minefield. I’d go vanilla with a birth year DJ. That’s just me. I have a lack of deep pockets for vintage watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the daytona is definitely out due to price range. the dj is always an option.
Old 7 July 2021, 12:40 PM   #4
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

If you don't have a preference and its about year I'd just buy a speedy.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 12:48 PM   #5
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
The vintage world can be a minefield. I'd suggest starting a dialogue with Jacek at Tropical watch.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 12:57 PM   #6
stmoore
Banned

Watch: Gilt
You need to narrow your field of fire, especially if new. Pick a reference first and buy the best you can find. Put in the work.
Birth year watches are also overrated.. also, what year? When they stamped the case? certified the movement? Sold the watch? The date on the clasp?
stmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 01:09 PM   #7
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Thats going to be tough. I believe its an L serial you're looking for. You might be better off going two tone gmt or date just
Old 7 July 2021, 05:00 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilokito View Post
I'm looking into getting a birth year watch. since i'm a total noob with vintage pieces, i'm gonna look for suggestions on sport models on my birth year (1985).

anything special with the dials or done in a small production? any input would be great.

Here are the following models i saw for that year:

1016 Explorer
16550 Explorer II
5513 Submariner
16750 GMT
6263 Daytona
Well its almost impossible to get a exact birth year watch from 1985 on, as all internet-charts serials are when the case was stamped between X&Y years. And this don't always mean the exact year when it was made, so if any paperwork would indicate year when it was sold that's your best bet. Out of your watch list myself would choose the 5513 sub a real classic, and any 6263 Daytona will be crazy telephone numbers money to buy good luck in your search..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 05:06 PM   #9
grimps
"TRF" Member

Birth year watches were fun when you could pick them up cheap and it didn't really matter if they needed a bit of work , I'm so old now I've well and truly missed the bus :)
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 08:17 PM   #10
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Go with the Daytona!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 08:33 PM   #11
Smols
"TRF" Member

If you want something that won’t break the bank, so it’s a bit less risky getting into the vintage minefield, there’s always the 6694 oysterdate precision. You can pick them up for less than a modern Tudor would cost.
Smols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2021, 08:48 PM   #12
madgpol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
Birth year watches were fun when you could pick them up cheap and it didn't really matter if they needed a bit of work , I'm so old now I've well and truly missed the bus :)
madgpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 12:19 AM   #13
wcl884
"TRF" Member

Explore II 16550 may be easier to trackdown since it's technically a transitional model made for 4+ years introduced in 1984-1985 (unsure about amount of left over inventory sitting at AD after 1990). Price is still somewhat reasonable compared to comparable Daytona, GMT, or even Sub. Watch out for fake spidering black dials or artificially induced cream dial though. I believe most 5-digit models can be worn daily and without significant maintenance.

My search for birth year watch took me down a deep rabbit hole - and I found out the maintenance and durability seem to be big concerns (especially after paying too much for 1680 box and paper). Sold the first one but started looking again after 5 years.
wcl884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 12:35 AM   #14
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Not quite what you’re looking for, but a few weeks ago I found an example or two online of a two tone Datejust from that era with what I thought was a cool dial. I posted some here on TRF, and fellow WIS told me that it’s a boiler gauge dial. They weren’t made only in 1985, but some were. This is a cream dial example on Chrono 24. I’ve also seen blue dials from around that era which looks amazing with the gold applied Arabic numerals.

I can’t vouch for anything about this dealer, or this particular watch, and you may be able to get a better price:

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/datej...id19991153.htm

The TT DJ to many is THE Rolex of the 1980s. What makes it an interesting birth year watch is the relatively rare boiler gauge dial. I just don’t see a ton of them online, and haven’t seen any in person. I’ve seen a lot of DJ since the 1980s!

Plus, this 16013 has the “open 9” (and presumably open 6) on the date which is one of those vintage holdovers that many (including myself) find cool.

So, if this checks out, you have a genuine 1980s watch that is recognizable as such, but “still looks good for its age” (which is what we want said about ourselves, at a certain age!).
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2021, 02:46 PM   #15
scombs263
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
If you don't have a preference and its about year I'd just buy a speedy.
Agreed. I ended up with one and love it.
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 07:53 AM   #16
lilokito
"TRF" Member

thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
The vintage world can be a minefield. I'd suggest starting a dialogue with Jacek at Tropical watch.
Old 13 July 2021, 07:58 AM   #17
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Nice choice, I've seen 16550 that has a cream dial, those have gone up in price by a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcl884 View Post
Explore II 16550 may be easier to trackdown since it's technically a transitional model made for 4+ years introduced in 1984-1985 (unsure about amount of left over inventory sitting at AD after 1990). Price is still somewhat reasonable compared to comparable Daytona, GMT, or even Sub. Watch out for fake spidering black dials or artificially induced cream dial though. I believe most 5-digit models can be worn daily and without significant maintenance.

My search for birth year watch took me down a deep rabbit hole - and I found out the maintenance and durability seem to be big concerns (especially after paying too much for 1680 box and paper). Sold the first one but started looking again after 5 years.
Old 14 July 2021, 02:54 AM   #18
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
Dollars to donuts the 16550 Explorer II is the best Rolex of 1985.
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
adawil2002 is offline   Reply With Quote