The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2021, 11:24 AM   #1
DAC2
Banned

Watch: Pt 228206 ice blue
Question about links ....

So let me ask you this. If you found a pre-owned PM watch in good condition that you REALLY wanted for a fairly reasonable price...
BUT... it was missing a link.

Would you buy it anyway ?

PM links are pricey. OR... would you wait and look for one that had all the links.

Thanks
DAC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 11:27 AM   #2
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Do you need the link to fit you?
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 11:33 AM   #3
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Call RSC and ask how much does a link cost for your bracelet. Once you know how much a link cost then you can decide how reasonable the asking price. Another question, does this pre owned watch need a service? Ask RSC how much that is as well. A question mentioned above, do you actually need the missing link? Watch may fit you without adding one back in. What if you need two to fit you? or three? So knowing the price of the links will help you in your negotiation for the piece.
Old 13 July 2021, 11:53 AM   #4
DAC2
Banned

I dont need the links for the watch to fit BUT.... if i was going to sell it down the road.... i would think that i would need the extra link for a complete watch.

I was just wondering about this because i always think in terms of buying a complete watch and never have considered one with any links missing before.
BUT... the way things are going these days with Rolex.... i was reconsidering
my thinking on this.

in the event that i sold it at some point...... I would have to discount the watch because of the missing link... or... buy a link to add to it.

Most of the others that i have seen... that are complete are selling for alot more than just the additional cost of the link.

I thought i would ask here because it was something i was thinking about.
Old 13 July 2021, 12:50 PM   #5
zewill
"TRF" Member

Just buy one when you feel like selling it. No one cares about links, even if greys and sellers do make extra profits removing them and selling them on the side. Obviously gold links are expensive but everything can be bought. Ask for extra links, sometimes if they feel they will lose a sale they’ll throw one in or by magic, the bracelet actually has all links upon reinspection… :P
zewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 12:55 PM   #6
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Buy the watch. You can add a link later if needed. If it fits, enjoy it.
Old 13 July 2021, 12:56 PM   #7
eddiemonster
"TRF" Member

Watch: @tm3machine
If you don't need the link for yourself, the model is scarce in the marketplace (like a discontinued 116718 for example), and the price is commensurate with the fact that it is missing the link- then it should not deter you from purchasing it.

In turn, you need to realize that because it is not complete, you were able to pay less and therefore cannot expect it to sell for as much as the same watch that is 100% down the road. And just like the double-edge sword you are presented with now, you will present the same prospect to a future buyer who may not need a fully linked bracelet and would rather get the best price. It's simple, you get what you pay for.

BTW, the same logic applies to buying a sport Rolex at gray market price. You pay high, you sell high- it's not like you are expected to resell your gray market Rolex for MSRP down the road. You obviously just won't have as much profit margin as someone who was able to buy at MSRP and sell for (secondary) market price.
eddiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 03:01 PM   #8
DAC2
Banned

Thanks everyone for your input. Its helped me alot to see it from another point of view.
I just wasn't sure how to look at this business of a missing link. lol

i love this forum.
Old 13 July 2021, 05:56 PM   #9
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zewill View Post
Just buy one when you feel like selling it. No one cares about links, even if greys and sellers do make extra profits removing them and selling them on the side. Obviously gold links are expensive but everything can be bought. Ask for extra links, sometimes if they feel they will lose a sale they’ll throw one in or by magic, the bracelet actually has all links upon reinspection… :P
Exactly this.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 10:17 PM   #10
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Seems like simple math to me, or am I missing something?

Does the "reasonably good price" still hold up even if you factor in the cost of a link? If so, I would think it's a no-brainer. Even if not, well, you said you really wanted it...
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote