The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 August 2005, 01:42 PM   #1
molex
"TRF" Member

Some interesting reading from a Rolex catalog...

A fellow forum member from another Rolex forum stopped by my work the other day, we missed each other but he left me a very nice gift: A rolex "Oyster Perpetual" pamphlet from 2005. It's an ivory-colored booklet with some corporate-uplifting and pics of many of the current Rolex models. It's quite nice, and I was happy to see that the example picture of a SS Datejust is the exact same model I own, nice to see your own watch in print.

Some of the copy, though, borders on propaganda, some would say it shamelessly crosses that line. Some examples:

"Constantly moving forward is the essence of the Oyster Perpetual movement." Well, perhaps in small steps, then... since the movement hasn't changed significantly in what, a decade or more?

"To this day, the assembly of the 220 components of the movement continues to be carried out by hand; but now robots, microscopes and lasers play an essential role in quality control testing at every stage."
Except perhaps the final stage of the new-model Turn-o-Graph that a member on another forum bought, only to discover the words "Turn-O-Graph" had never been printed on the dial? That's not too hot of quality control...

"...Rolex watches are today at the forefront of what is technically attainable." Well, sorry but that's just plain BS. One of the reasons I love a Rolex movement is that even the very latest version is still more a thing of the past than the present. No silicone escape wheels here.

In regards to the extent of the Oyster collection's variations "...tailored to meet the most stringent professional or sporting demands." Really? Let's see a Rolex time an event to the thousandth of a second, or calculate the exact depth of a diver at any given moment.

What do you guys think about all that? Just normal corporate double-speak, or am I missing something?
molex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2005, 04:00 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Like most companies today great well chosen words,where in
reality mean sod all, but there is a old saying bullsh#t baffles brains.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2005, 04:06 PM   #3
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Molex,

Perhaps you are right, a fair amount of corporate double talk. But hey that is what the booklet was for, to advertise and generate enthusiasm (AKA LUST) for Rolex watches.

I guess they could have been straight forward but how would it look if they printed.

"Hey its a Rolex, need we say more. You can take it or leave it. But since we sell every watch we make, if you decide to leave us, someone else WILL buy the watch."

"Buy a Rolex today. If you wait until the next price increase so will just kick yourself for waiting."

or

"Why ask question? Look at the pictures and buy your favorite."

I do agree that it is always nice to see pictures of the watch you own. That is why I really enjoy the pictures you post.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2005, 10:25 PM   #4
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Think of it this way, Micah. How many millions of watches does Rolex make and sell each year? How many people frequent Rolex forums combined. Perhaps 0.5% of all Rolex owners? Of those who do frequent the forums, how many are even somewhat knoweldgeable about the workings of the watch? So you see, the number of people who actually know NOT to believe the in their hype is infinitesimal compared to the number of buyers and potential buyers of Rolexes. They can say any damned thing they please and 99.987456% of the purchasing public will be none the wiser.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2005, 10:27 PM   #5
Atomic

It's plain hyperbole, spewed from marketing genius' who know their market well. All you have to do is read their website for a good laugh at how BS baffles brains.

But Micah, I think your bigger issue should be why Rolex USA insists on shortchanging their customers with a crappy brochure when the rest of the civilized world gets a full colour, glossy 102 page catalogue. That is a crying shame for you guys.
Old 5 August 2005, 12:29 AM   #6
Earl
"TRF" Member

Watch: out
Molex, I believe it's the normal well written "Just normal corporate double-speak" of which I feel on the fast read gets peoples heart to pumping.. but, to the WIS it's writting on the fine edge of double meaning play on words. my 2c
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2005, 05:01 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Micah,

I think we are talking about the same A4 size catalogue which we get here, but for some unknown reason is not available in the USA.

It's very pictoral, but bugger all else. Omega catalogues likewise. The best I've got is the one from IWC which gives you the full history along with some superb details on manufacturer, movements, etc. The Rolex one has been designed for the common man and just displays various models, that's it.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2005, 05:27 AM   #8
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Micah,

I think we are talking about the same A4 size catalogue which we get here, but for some unknown reason is not available in the USA.

It's very pictoral, but bugger all else. Omega catalogues likewise. The best I've got is the one from IWC which gives you the full history along with some superb details on manufacturer, movements, etc. The Rolex one has been designed for the common man and just displays various models, that's it.

JJ
Agreed. For the amount of detail Rolex could potentially put in their catalogue and website, the POS (point of sale, that is) material they give customers geared for the non-WIS. That said, I guess the one good thing out of their lack of responsibility to their loyal customers is that if they did provide all the details, forums like this may not have come into exisitance.

It would be nice if Rolex could take a page (lol) from the likes of JLC, IWC or hell, even Panerai and offer a catalogue with some history, some techy details on the watch, case, bracelet, movement... But since that costs money, why bother?
Old 5 August 2005, 05:53 AM   #9
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Well, it IS an advertising brochure so sure it is full of BS. The all do it. Golf manufacturers say, "Buy this driver and you will gain 20 yards". If that were the case I would be the world's Champion Driver at about 600 yds. LOL But I do believe Rolex makes special timers for the events they sponsor but do not know that as a fact. I think brochure/advertising is synonymous with BS. IWC, Panerai, and JLC need to make big brochures so they can catch up with Rolex sales. ;-)
maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2005, 02:07 PM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good points there, Dennis.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2005, 04:54 AM   #11
mamas
"TRF" Member

i suppose that because rolex occupies its current market position where customers actually have to join waiting lists to buy some of its products, it can afford to publish such poor brochures and write whatever nonesense it wants in it.. as it knows that its market position is fairly secure.. i only hope that they do not become to complacent..
mamas
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote