The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 July 2021, 09:26 PM   #1
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

Tudor GMT date issues

Trying to get an idea of exactly how prevalent this issue is. The internet can really blow these things out of proportion (although I couldn't find anything here, which is surprising) and I'd be very interested in a Tudor GMT if the date issues are now sorted for 2021 watches.

I'd also be interested if people have any idea what percentage of models are affected, or is it potentially all of them?
NickD1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 09:46 PM   #2
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=615461

Well documented - I had to search on google but found it back here!
(could not manage that with my skills on TRF search LOL!)

Latest info is that is has been solved on newer models?
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2021, 09:49 PM   #3
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveclock View Post
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=615461

Well documented - I had to search on google but found it back here!
(could not manage that with my skills on TRF search LOL!)

Latest info is that is has been solved on newer models?
Haha, thanks - I'm experienced with forum search engines, but this one only came up with wrong answers!

Plenty to read on that thread.
Old 16 July 2021, 12:55 AM   #4
Jagamov
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex:2 Tudor: 3
I can only tell you I bought mine ~ 1 year ago (and the dealer had just received it), and so far its been working just fine.

I don't wear it everyday, but between when I do, and then manually setting the time/date, its performed as it should.
Jagamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 01:12 AM   #5
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
The best you'll be able to secure is anecdotal evidence, like my 2018 BB GMT, bought new in early 2019, which has run flawlessly since purchased.

Others [too many] have not been as lucky. What's the %? Nobody knows. And anyone who says they do are full of .

IMHO, it's a watch worth taking a risk. It instantly became my favorite.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15th TRF.JPG (262.2 KB, 545 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 01:26 AM   #6
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Bought mine brand new December 2018. Ran fine until the date window issue emerged in September 2020. I sent it in for a movement swap at RSC and it has performed fine ever since.

I love the watch and have not regretted purchasing it, even with the date problem. if you were to ask me would I do it all over again knowing what I know now - yes I would because it is a great watch and a really good price and it comes (now) with a five year warranty.

If you get one and it happens, send it in. It seems much less prevalent on newer models but I guess you never know. The five year warranty gives you piece of mind for a long time so if you like the watch I would not hesitate in buying one.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 01:47 AM   #7
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Bought mine brand new December 2018. Ran fine until the date window issue emerged in September 2020. I sent it in for a movement swap at RSC and it has performed fine ever since.
I had almost the exact same experience. Purchased one new in Dec 2018, and the date problem emerged sometime in 2019. My AD was absolutely perfect; they took care of everything for me (they sent the watch to the RSC in NY). Mine received the movement swap also. Since getting the watch back, it has been absolutely flawless.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 01:47 AM   #8
Eelco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400 & 114200
I bought this watch in the beginning of this year and i wear it all day, every day. If the date issue comes along, I'll bring it in for service. No biggie..
Eelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 03:59 AM   #9
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMP mast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
The best you'll be able to secure is anecdotal evidence, like my 2018 BB GMT, bought new in early 2019, which has run flawlessly since purchased.

Others [too many] have not been as lucky. What's the %? Nobody knows. And anyone who says they do are full of .

dP

This photo is absolute dP. I think I will reassess my fear over this price now - in the grey market. Worth a punt IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 06:15 AM   #10
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD1975 View Post
Haha, thanks - I'm experienced with forum search engines, but this one only came up with wrong answers!

Plenty to read on that thread.
Here's a couple more....

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=796938
https://millenarywatches.com/tudor-g...e-wheel-issue/

YMMV
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 06:20 AM   #11
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Trying to get an idea of exactly how prevalent this issue is. The internet can really blow these things out of proportion (although I couldn't find anything here, which is surprising) and I'd be very interested in a Tudor GMT if the date issues are now sorted for 2021 watches.

I'd also be interested if people have any idea what percentage of models are affected, or is it potentially all of them?
The new Tudor chronographs have Breitling’s movement!
To me it means, they couldn’t fix the date issue!

Last edited by Nodzex; 16 July 2021 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: Misspelled!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 06:31 AM   #12
absoluteczech
"TRF" Member

I purchased mine new in March of 2019 and it's never had an issue. Granted I dont usually wear it more than a week or 2 at a time :/
absoluteczech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 07:00 AM   #13
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
This photo is absolute dP. I think I will reassess my fear over this price now - in the grey market. Worth a punt IMO.

Thanks, Mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodzex View Post
The new Tudor chronographs have Breitling’s movement!
To me it means, they couldn’t fix the date issue!
Incorrect. Tudor & Breitling collaborated to create a new chronograph movement. These cross brand partnerships are nothing new.

And what that has to do with the BB GMT date issue is lost on me.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 16 July 2021, 07:47 AM   #14
Das
"TRF" Member

2x 2020 GMTs both perfect for over a year now. Love the watch!
Das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 07:54 AM   #15
blufinz52
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 116400GV 124060
I purchased the Tudor GMT new last spring, and the date issue cropped up 6 months later. Sent it into RSC in Dallas, and they fixed it. I love the watch, as well as the BB58. As Samson66 said, I would do it again...a great watch imo.
blufinz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 10:14 AM   #16
Vodka7
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing that photo, the GMT is gorgeous. It's on my list, and will move up to insta-buy if they announce a BB58 GMT.
Vodka7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 11:28 AM   #17
Newmoney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufinz52 View Post
I purchased the Tudor GMT new last spring, and the date issue cropped up 6 months later. Sent it into RSC in Dallas, and they fixed it. I love the watch, as well as the BB58. As Samson66 said, I would do it again...a great watch imo.
Did they fix or swap movement
Newmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 11:37 AM   #18
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
And what that has to do with the BB GMT date issue is lost on me.
dP
They have to release all that pent up Tudor hate somehow
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 11:46 AM   #19
GBD
"TRF" Member

Because the same movement was recently made available in Norqain and Fortis GMTs, I'd have to think they've solved the issue.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 02:15 PM   #20
SuinBruin
"TRF" Member

Got mine in late 2019, developed date wheel o' death last month. In for service now.

Love the watch, it was very very accurate. Got the ETA BB non-rivet bracelet to go with it and it looks fantastic. I hope the date wheel issue is fixed.
SuinBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 09:43 PM   #21
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

It sounds like it is still an issue then, albeit not as common as it was originally. The 5 year warranty is good, but it's still a PITA to have to get it fixed.
Old 16 July 2021, 10:25 PM   #22
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quote:

dP
That is a very beautiful watch.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 10:36 PM   #23
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNR Nairobi View Post
That is a very beautiful watch.
Thanks, Tony!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 16 July 2021, 11:12 PM   #24
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
I have posted on this numerous times. I bought my Tudor GMT new, and the date issue showed up right away. Sent it in to Rolex three times and they were never able to fix it. I spoke to my AD and told him that Rolex keeps sending it back to me not fixed and this is very frustrating. The AD said "just keep sending it in for repair", that is the reason why you have a warranty. Problem is, Rolex couldn't fix it. My two year warranty expired and I got stuck with a defective watch. If Rolex can't fix it while under warranty, imagine trying to get it fix without a warranty? Based on my terrible experience with the watch and the useless warranty, I recommend you stay away from it.

I moved on and bought a Ball GMT - and yes, the date wheel works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballatnight.JPG (65.6 KB, 271 views)
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 12:37 AM   #25
smithsj716
"TRF" Member

Tudor GMT date issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
I have posted on this numerous times. I bought my Tudor GMT new, and the date issue showed up right away. Sent it in to Rolex three times and they were never able to fix it. I spoke to my AD and told him that Rolex keeps sending it back to me not fixed and this is very frustrating. The AD said "just keep sending it in for repair", that is the reason why you have a warranty. Problem is, Rolex couldn't fix it. My two year warranty expired and I got stuck with a defective watch. If Rolex can't fix it while under warranty, imagine trying to get it fix without a warranty? Based on my terrible experience with the watch and the useless warranty, I recommend you stay away from it.

I moved on and bought a Ball GMT - and yes, the date wheel works.

Do you not receive an additional two year service warranty on repairs even when performed within the factory warranty anymore?

Asking as I, maybe unfortunately, have just purchased one which is currently on its way

smithsj716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 01:13 AM   #26
Mal H.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsj716 View Post
Do you not receive an additional two year service warranty on repairs even when performed within the factory warranty anymore?

Asking as I, maybe unfortunately, have just purchased one which is currently on its way

I don't think so, however, I have a hard time believing Rolex would charge to fix an issue they were unable to fix while the watch was under warranty.
Mal H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 01:38 AM   #27
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Okay. Bottom line, what you seek you will never find here...or on the internet. It's been talked to death, all the haters have spewed their hate, (and continue to do so) and there's no clear consensus--or even some sort of acknowledgement from Tudor that there's even an issue...so knowing that the issue has now been somehow cleared up is impossible.

As Dan said, it's definitely worth taking a chance on. I had the date issue on mine, but, silly me, I just sent it in to be fixed and it's worked perfectly ever since. It's one of the best watches I own (and I own a few.)

Some people around here seem to almost take it personally when a watch needs fixing...go figure.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 09:23 PM   #28
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Okay. Bottom line, what you seek you will never find here...or on the internet. It's been talked to death, all the haters have spewed their hate, (and continue to do so) and there's no clear consensus--or even some sort of acknowledgement from Tudor that there's even an issue...so knowing that the issue has now been somehow cleared up is impossible.

As Dan said, it's definitely worth taking a chance on. I had the date issue on mine, but, silly me, I just sent it in to be fixed and it's worked perfectly ever since. It's one of the best watches I own (and I own a few.)

Some people around here seem to almost take it personally when a watch needs fixing...go figure.
Not true at all. He is seeking out the ownership experience of the Tudor GMT and he got it. The only hate is here coming from you because you seem to hate if somebody's experience is not perfect. Well, sorry but the date wheel is a genuine issue and for some of us it was never fixed right. Coyly saying "but, silly me, I just sent it in to be fixed and it's worked perfectly ever since", is suggesting that nobody else had that brilliant idea to 'send it in'. Newsflash > I also "sent mine in" three times and 'silly me' was unable to get it fixed properly from Rolex. I also did not get an extended warranty, nor did I ever get an apology from Rolex or the AD. The only thing I did get was an unrepairable defective watch with a warranty that was of no use. This is not hate, these are the facts and the only person here taking this personally is you. The OP can now make an informed decision and decide what is best for him.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:28 PM   #29
NickD1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
Not true at all. He is seeking out the ownership experience of the Tudor GMT and he got it... ...The OP can now make an informed decision and decide what is best for him.
Yup, you are correct. And it isn't acceptable that a £3k watch should still have this issue 3 years into the model run. Much as I love the watch I reckon I'll steer clear. Thanks all for the input.
Old 19 July 2021, 06:47 PM   #30
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:
Yup, you are correct. And it isn't acceptable that a £3k watch should still have this issue 3 years into the model run. Much as I love the watch I reckon I'll steer clear. Thanks all for the input.

I agree that the issue is irritating. I have just received mine back from service for the date wheel issue, and I still love it. If it happens again, I’ll send it back in. Gives me time for my other watches, and it really only took two weeks to get back.

Once I am out of warranty, if the issue continues then there will be a problem.

You’re missing out on a good watch brother.

Heff is offline   Reply With Quote