The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 July 2021, 10:15 AM   #1
S52
"TRF" Member

Watch: me fly-by
Vintage Rolex repair/ service SF Bay Area?

Greetings,

Went to the safety deposit box today and checked on my Vintage Red Submariner which has been stored away for 5 years.

Tried to wind it up and unfortunately it seems like something mechanically is wrong with it. Winding the crown felt very stiff and the automatic rotor inside was spinning as the crown was spun.

Does anyone know of a good independent watch repair place that they would trust with a Vintage Red Sub? I'd prefer one local to me within 100 mile drive of the San Francisco Bay Area as I am a bit paranoid about shipping the watch out.

Thank you!

-Christian

Old 16 July 2021, 10:20 AM   #2
acesguerra
"TRF" Member

Hey christen

U can take it to mike @ Rolliworks. They are the best. And local as In Campbell. They have service a handful of mine..

Thanks
Ace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
acesguerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 10:21 AM   #3
coelacanthus
"TRF" Member

Giovanni at Independent Watch Service Center (used to be Rolex service center) is your guy!
coelacanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 10:35 AM   #4
S52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesguerra View Post
Hey christen

U can take it to mike @ Rolliworks. They are the best. And local as In Campbell. They have service a handful of mine..

Thanks
Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanthus View Post
Giovanni at Independent Watch Service Center (used to be Rolex service center) is your guy!
Awesome Gents! Thank you for the recommendations. They both seem to have excellent reviews... Will be a tough decision :D

Old 16 July 2021, 12:14 PM   #5
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

Quote:

+1, used many time with excellent service ! Rolliworks is great too but further away (San Jose)

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 02:01 PM   #6
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Another vouch for Giovanni.

Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 02:23 PM   #7
btinl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: on my wrist
Quote:
Yes, another vote for Giovanni. He has serviced several of my vintage pieces including my Mk2 red sub.
btinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 02:25 AM   #8
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
I second Giovanni.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Independent Service Center SF business card 2.jpg (32.8 KB, 378 views)
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 06:25 PM   #9
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
I've had my red sub serviced at Rolliworks, along with my DRSD.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 03:43 PM   #10
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Giovanni. This is the problem of storing watches and not wearing them. 5 years is too long. Don't wind it by hand you will sheer the teeth off of the crown wheel if the rotor is spinning. You have a sticking reversing wheel.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 07:16 AM   #11
JellyBelly
"TRF" Member

Giovanni at Independent Watch Service Center

Giovanni had just serviced my GMT Master Pepsi, 1675. He is very professional!!!

I vote for Gio👍👍👍
JellyBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 05:09 AM   #12
bob78h
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610
Rolliworks serviced my 1675 and did a good job. Only been to Giovanni for minor work but he is also well recommended (used to be an independent RSC).
bob78h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2021, 04:21 AM   #13
S52
"TRF" Member

Update:

Just got back from dropping my Red Sub off at Giovannis in SF. Went with him mostly cause its much closer to where I live.

He was very helpful and friendly. Opened up the watch in front of me and showed me what he was going to be doing. He said its definitely "dried" up and needs a cleaning and lube job. Will also replace a screw that was broken which was allowing the movement to wiggle in the case and make the manual winding bind up. Also discovered a rivet on the bracelet that is close to breaking so that will be replaced as well.

Will be ready for pickup in 6-8 weeks! I'll update again once I get it.

Thanks again for the suggestions fellas!
Old 26 August 2021, 03:07 PM   #14
coelacanthus
"TRF" Member

Good choice, S52.

If you are a local and the watch is running OK (i.e. using the watch wouldn't harm the movement), you could get on his service queue, wait and wear the watch till it's your turn. They'll call you and you can drop it off then. This will drastically reduce the "down time" but remember this is only possible if 1) watch is running OK and 2) you are local and can drop off quick as soon as they call otherwise you'll be messing up their queue.

I just got my 14060 back Giovanni today. The watch was never serviced, unpolished, and has a huge sentimental value (my father's watch). He did exactly what I requested: OH, all sealing change, no polish, pressure test to the spec and return all parts back. Try that with an RSC...

I'll be diving with mine this weekend. :) I hope you'll get your watch back in tip-top shape soon.
coelacanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 03:43 AM   #15
S52
"TRF" Member

Update 2:

Just got home from picking up my 1680 at Giovanni's. Very pleased. Runs great once again.

Thank you for the earlier suggestions.

Old 8 October 2021, 09:37 AM   #16
mrarchiegoodwin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GShock Frogman
Excellent result! Glad you are pleased. Cool that it's a red sub.

I too am a Giovanni fan. He knew to put (not sure how) a lighter grade of oil in my sluggish SD43 and it was an instant fix. He didn't even want to charge me, but I insisted. I have three old Subs that have not been touched in several years. Wondering if I should bring them to Giovanni on a rotation basis even though they are never worn. Wondering it that goes for all my other watches. Dried out? That's daunting.
mrarchiegoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2021, 10:41 AM   #17
S52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarchiegoodwin View Post
Excellent result! Glad you are pleased. Cool that it's a red sub.

I too am a Giovanni fan. He knew to put (not sure how) a lighter grade of oil in my sluggish SD43 and it was an instant fix. He didn't even want to charge me, but I insisted. I have three old Subs that have not been touched in several years. Wondering if I should bring them to Giovanni on a rotation basis even though they are never worn. Wondering it that goes for all my other watches. Dried out? That's daunting.
He did a great job getting my Red Sub back to life. It has spent the past 5 years in a bank safety deposit box and when I pulled it out a couple of months ago it was not running at all-

He said the lubrication had dried out and gotten gummy and advised me to run it every so often versus letting it sit un used for such long periods of time.

This is my second watch I've had him work on and would not hesitate to take another one in whether vintage or modern. He is my go to guy now for sure.

Old 8 October 2021, 12:44 PM   #18
hnl-kiki
"TRF" Member

Will a watch winder help?
hnl-kiki is offline   Reply With Quote