The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 July 2021, 03:49 AM   #1
jmed91
"TRF" Member

Chances to buy a Daytona SS

After a couple of years of leaving my watch collection hobby I was reignited after visiting my old AD. I used to collect Rolex but sold all of them to assist family members with an emergency as such my collection was drastically reduced. After contacting my AD I asked if I could buy a sky-dweller and within a week they got me a jubilee SS version I inquired about the Daytona SS and was told those could take 2-3 years as such I purchased the sky-dweller. After emailing the AD about how happy I am with my new watch I asked about the Daytona and management told me they would let me know once they are available. Do this mean I should have some good chances of acquiring this piece? It’s crazy how difficult it has become to acquire some of these pieces when I clearly recall my first purchase (explorer I) was available next to other submariners and Daytona in gold.
jmed91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 03:51 AM   #2
J-rob
"TRF" Member

Somebody give him the bad news.
J-rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 04:14 AM   #3
mpliskin
2024 Pledge Member

Or $35,000

Lol
mpliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 04:16 AM   #4
RealMadrid1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona | BLNR
You were exceedingly fortunate to get a Sky-Dweller in steel if that’s what you were offered. A steel Daytona would be like hitting the jackpot again. Odds are extremely long but I guess nothing is impossible.
RealMadrid1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 04:56 AM   #5
JoeBobsFineRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
It is possible, I got the Daytona black dial after a year and halve from my Ad. I did a long purchase history with them. Keep trying and best of luck.
JoeBobsFineRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:00 AM   #6
mwasheikh
"TRF" Member

It’s all hype much better pieces our there bought n sold gold, panda n the black version don’t miss them at all.
mwasheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:04 AM   #7
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-rob View Post

Here. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=617563
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:04 AM   #8
ks58
Banned

You’re pretty lucky to get the Skydweller. You must be leaving out the quality of your relationship in general to get it within a week. Give us the full perspective and spend etc and we can forecast. Without that info, we would have no idea how close you are to getting.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:06 AM   #9
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-rob View Post
X2
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:06 AM   #10
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

you kinda shot yourself in the foot by taking the skydweller. that was hard enough and lucky as is, now they gave you a hard to get piece that you wanted and have no need to rush or care since they already did you a huge favor
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:11 AM   #11
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Its not for people in a hurry ..
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:14 AM   #12
Bell911
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwasheikh View Post
It’s all hype much better pieces our there bought n sold gold, panda n the black version don’t miss them at all.
For example??
Bell911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 05:20 AM   #13
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
you kinda shot yourself in the foot by taking the skydweller. that was hard enough and lucky as is, now they gave you a hard to get piece that you wanted and have no need to rush or care since they already did you a huge favor
Yea, but do you really think that holding out would have appreciably shortened the wait for a Daytona? All it would have done is left the OP w/o a SkyD.

Bird in the hand (or, I suppose, watch on the wrist...) and all...
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 06:00 AM   #14
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Yea, but do you really think that holding out would have appreciably shortened the wait for a Daytona? All it would have done is left the OP w/o a SkyD.

Bird in the hand (or, I suppose, watch on the wrist...) and all...
nah i don't, i would've taken the skydweller as well. but it 100% seals the deal on never getting a daytona now imo. if i were op i would just flip it and get the daytona, you'd essentially be getting a steel daytona for around 25-28k (if going for bnib)
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 06:05 AM   #15
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
nah i don't, i would've taken the skydweller as well. but it 100% seals the deal on never getting a daytona now imo. if i were op i would just flip it and get the daytona, you'd essentially be getting a steel daytona for around 25-28k (if going for bnib)
Or flip to an alternate AD for Daytona at MSRP. If OP offered a straight trade, it would be a good deal for both parties. Unless of course he happens to really like the SkyD... In which case he's got half of what he wants instead of none.
Old 19 July 2021, 06:42 AM   #16
vh2k
"TRF" Member

You flipped a brand new Pepsi and a Sub within the last couple of years.

I wouldn’t sell you a Cellini at full MSRP. I would make sure you got NOTHING unless you opened up that checkbook of yours.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 06:57 AM   #17
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmed91 View Post
I used to collect Rolex but sold all of them to assist family members with an emergency as such my collection was drastically reduced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
You flipped a brand new Pepsi and a Sub within the last couple of years.

I wouldn’t sell you a Cellini at full MSRP. I would make sure you got NOTHING unless you opened up that checkbook of yours.
Seems a little harsh, no? Unless the OP is lying about the family situation (which I have no reason to believe is the case).
Old 19 July 2021, 07:13 AM   #18
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seems a little harsh, no? Unless the OP is lying about the family situation (which I have no reason to believe is the case).
Not harsh at all. Based on his summary and his own actions, I don’t think he should be allocated any more Rolex pieces. He just got a SS Sky and now immediately wants a Daytona. Pass!
Old 19 July 2021, 07:14 AM   #19
jmed91
"TRF" Member

I purchased from the AD other brands to include JLC and Breguet but due to the market I was easier to move those two watches from my collection at the time to fund the emergency. My AD call me a year later to offer me a white dial Daytona and the time I had no Rolex and really wanted a Daytona but decided against it since I had other priorities. I always wanted to return to Rolex and always maintained communication with the AD and recently reunited with a fellow watch enthusiast to also happen to be the new manager for this AD. He was aware of my circumstances at the time and I inform him that I sold most of my collection and would really appreciate the opportunity to buy a Daytona. He asked me for my second preference and of course I said the sky-dweller since I truly appreciate the innovation of the movement and the aesthetic of the watch. I was informed that the demand for these watches has gone up significantly and as such it was more realistic to focus on my second choice since the first was somewhat more difficult. I week later I got the call that the watch was allocated for the store and would be made available for my purchase. I wanted to pass this sky-dweller and wait for the Daytona but after trying the watch I couldn’t pass it. It was my first time seeing a sky-dweller and truly breathtaking with the jubilee.
Old 19 July 2021, 07:17 AM   #20
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I purchased from the AD other brands to include JLC and Breguet but due to the market I was easier to move those two watches from my collection at the time to fund the emergency. My AD call me a year later to offer me a white dial Daytona and the time I had no Rolex and really wanted a Daytona but decided against it since I had other priorities. I always wanted to return to Rolex and always maintained communication with the AD and recently reunited with a fellow watch enthusiast to also happen to be the new manager for this AD. He was aware of my circumstances at the time and I inform him that I sold most of my collection and would really appreciate the opportunity to buy a Daytona. He asked me for my second preference and of course I said the sky-dweller since I truly appreciate the innovation of the movement and the aesthetic of the watch. I was informed that the demand for these watches has gone up significantly and as such it was more realistic to focus on my second choice since the first was somewhat more difficult. I week later I got the call that the watch was allocated for the store and would be made available for my purchase. I wanted to pass this sky-dweller and wait for the Daytona but after trying the watch I couldn’t pass it. It was my first time seeing a sky-dweller and truly breathtaking with the jubilee.
Fair follow up. Nice of you to help fund the family emergency.

Be happy you got the Sky and now it’s time to buy a few more non-Rolex pieces or wait patiently. Best of luck to you.
Old 19 July 2021, 07:41 AM   #21
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Not harsh at all. Based on his summary and his own actions, I don’t think he should be allocated any more Rolex pieces. He just got a SS Sky and now immediately wants a Daytona. Pass!
The two are completely separate. Not allocating the OP a Daytona because he was just allocated a SkyD is totally fair, regardless of past buying/selling.

But deciding on what to allocate him based on his moving a few high-demand watches to help out in a family emergency is nonsense.
Old 19 July 2021, 07:52 AM   #22
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree completely
Old 19 July 2021, 07:53 AM   #23
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The two are completely separate. Not allocating the OP a Daytona because he was just allocated a SkyD is totally fair, regardless of past buying/selling.

But deciding on what to allocate him based on his moving a few high-demand watches to help out in a family emergency is nonsense.
Not nonsense at all. Actions have consequences. No matter the reason, he’s flipped high demand pieces. If I was an AD, I’d never sell to him again.
Old 19 July 2021, 07:59 AM   #24
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
After a couple of years of leaving my watch collection hobby I was reignited after visiting my old AD. I used to collect Rolex but sold all of them to assist family members with an emergency as such my collection was drastically reduced. After contacting my AD I asked if I could buy a sky-dweller and within a week they got me a jubilee SS version I inquired about the Daytona SS and was told those could take 2-3 years as such I purchased the sky-dweller. After emailing the AD about how happy I am with my new watch I asked about the Daytona and management told me they would let me know once they are available. Do this mean I should have some good chances of acquiring this piece? It’s crazy how difficult it has become to acquire some of these pieces when I clearly recall my first purchase (explorer I) was available next to other submariners and Daytona in gold.
Be happy with the skydweller. It is 10 times nicer than the overpriced stopwatch.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 08:04 AM   #25
jmed91
"TRF" Member

I truly appreciate the sky-dweller and agree that the Daytona it’s overpriced for what it is but I would also not turn it down if the opportunity presents itself so at this point I’ll wait for my AD and in turn enjoy some other brands.
Old 19 July 2021, 08:13 AM   #26
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
You got a better chance getting the Daytona 116500ln from an AD than you do the Omega speedmaster silver snoopy. Since you got a good relationship with your AD they already got you the skydweller. I'm sure they will come through if your willing to wait you turn in the que allocation.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2021, 08:26 AM   #27
jmed91
"TRF" Member

The silver snoopy is on another level of waitlist at the omega dealers.
Old 19 July 2021, 10:13 AM   #28
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatekCartier
good luck
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote