The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 2 September 2021, 06:21 AM   #1
TJLeiby
"TRF" Member

Requesting General Guidance on GMT-Master

Hello, everyone!

I inherited my father's watch, a GMT-Master, prior to his passing in 2014. For several years, I set the watch aside because it was a painful reminder of losing my father, but recently, I began wearing it on a daily basis to stay connected with him. I've attached a photo of the watch that I hope is accessible. (I'm happy to post additional photos, too, if helpful.)

With a very limited knowledge of the watch, I took it to the Rolex Service Center on Fifth Avenue to inquire what servicing would be needed. (I'm based in Brooklyn, NY.) That day, the Rolex Service Center provided me with the model and serial number, and a day later, they provided me with a cost estimate for a list of various services.

The model is 1675/0. (It was listed as "M1675/0" in the letter given to me.) Is 1675/0 equivalent to 16750? Or are these different models?

The serial number is 196XXXX. Based on other threads that I've seen in this forum, am I correct that a serial number beginning with "196" correlates to a production year in the late 1960s? Unfortunately, I failed to ask the Rolex Service Center what was stamped—if anything—on the case back.

Regarding the cost estimate, I was quoted $1,100.00 for a complete overhaul, $46.00 to replace the crown, and $123.00 to replace the hands. With taxes, the grand total comes to $1,381.64, which—to be honest—came as a bit of a shock to me.

The cost estimate also recommended that the dial be replaced for an additional $479.05. Is this necessary? The current dial in the watch has "SWISS—T<25" at the bottom. Would a new dial still have this inscription?

I'd also welcome thoughts on whether the case and bracelet should be refinished. The bracelet includes minor nicks from decades of use, and I might be an outlier, but I find that those markings tell a story. I'm hesitant to refinish the bracelet for that reason. Can the same be said for the case?

Lastly, when I returned to the Rolex Service Center to retrieve the watch after declining to move forward with servicing it, I overheard a conversation between another client and the front desk. I didn't hear everything, but I recall that the client expressed concern that an original component bearing a serial number in their watch had been replaced, and they were pressing the front desk for documentation to link that original component with their watch.

Hearing scraps of that exchange made me nervous. Is there a reputable, independent watchmaker in New York City who can service my watch? I'd also like to insure my watch. Are there recommendations for a reputable appraiser in New York City?

I apologize in advance for the length of this message and the number of basic questions, but I'd be very grateful to receive the forum's collective guidance and wisdom.

Thanks!

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg GMT-Master.jpeg (235.4 KB, 402 views)
TJLeiby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 09:57 AM   #2
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Hi Tom, welcome to TRF.

I would wear your fathers watch and enjoy it!

Its a 1675 and has been through the service center before as it has a service dial, hands and insert. No need to update any of these again as they all appear to be in good condition. If it’s running off just have the movement serviced and enjoy it. Plenty of good independent watchmakers that can do it for less than Rolex.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 10:10 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
Hi Tom, welcome to TRF.

I would wear your fathers watch and enjoy it!

Its a 1675 and has been through the service center before as it has a service dial, hands and insert. No need to update any of these again as they all appear to be in good condition. If it’s running off just have the movement serviced and enjoy it. Plenty of good independent watchmakers that can do it for less than Rolex.

Good observations and good advice here. It probably just needs a service since all the visible parts seem to be in good condition.

I would recommend one of the forum members, such as Phillip Ridley, that are very knowledgeable when servicing vintage Rolex.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2021, 10:18 AM   #4
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

A similar welcome to the forum and glad you are wearing your dad's watch in memory.

As of writing, I note an experienced GMT guy, "Springer", is also on this thread so he will be especially helpful with some insights.

In the meantime, if I beat him to the case, some observations.

1) If you can avoid it, don't use the RSC for vintage pieces. There are some NY based watchmakers I have heard of - people will hopefully chime in on suggestions.

2) The serial you described suggest this is a just 1675 not a 16750. I think RSC writes the 1675/0 to encompass both models. There are differences between the two including hand stack and quick set date feature.

Your photo isnt great but I think I can see the GMT hand below the hour hand so hence my 1675 only assessment.

3) Talking about hands, the hands on your watch appear service replacements already so not sure why RSC even wants those replaced again. An independent watchmaker wouldn't make the same suggestion I suspect. However, if you want to make it period correct, you could try to source tritium hands to fit. That would make the hands match the dial luminous colour better.

4) On the dial, I haven't looked carefully enough but there is a strong chance that the dial is also a service replacement. I will let Springer make the call on this. I believe a 1.9 million serial should come with a Mark I dial which this doesn't appear to be. I suspect the dial was replaced alongside the hands in its last major overhaul. Rolex should have the history on this if you ask them?

Overall, nice watch with history to your dad so would cherish it. My recommendation is to match the hands to the dial if you can, get it serviced and away you go. Good luck.

Edit: just saw the Justin and JP's comments. Some duplicate advice / observations by me.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 02:06 PM   #5
boywithakoi
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126720VTNR
Cool watch! I don’t have much to add that the others here haven’t said. We’re spoiled here in New York, there are tons of independent watch makers that specialize in vintage just a short commute away. Let me know if you need an introduction!
Old 3 September 2021, 06:59 PM   #6
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Is the lume on the service dial yellowing?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 09:35 PM   #7
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Super. I rather enjoy these vividly colored service inserts.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 01:04 PM   #8
Beccaio
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2005 16610
wow that dial has some nice color to it...I wouldn't replace the dial
Beccaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 01:33 PM   #9
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

You probably know this already, you have a great watch. Keep it as original as possible. Keep wearing and enjoying it.
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 12:54 AM   #10
kegan
"TRF" Member

Tom, welcome to the forum. Absolutely no need to apologize for the length of your post and questions. Yours, your father’s story and watch represent the best this forum has to offer. Thanks for sharing.
kegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 08:39 AM   #11
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Sorry to hear about your loss. That is a great watch. I live on the west coast but will also recommend Phillip Ridley he just serviced my watch a 1675/3, I too inherited from my father, and my father just sent his watch to Phillip as well. He can also color match the hands for you and perhaps source some period correct parts if you want to go that route. On another note, the 16750 is the next version of the 1675. The extra numbers /0 means all stainless, /3 stainless and gold, and /8 for solid gold but the basic reference is still a 1675. 16750, 16753, and 16758 were released around 1980 or so... Good luck and thanks for sharing your story.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote