The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 September 2021, 11:46 PM   #1
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Oysterflex Daytona - consolidate to attain?

I'm on the list for one and I truly do like it - but if it were to come, I'd have to release couple from the collection.

The watches that 100% will stay in the collection are the 16710, the DD40, the DJ41 and the GS. My Reverso was my wedding watch and I've had it for 8 years but rarely wear it; even my wife is blah about it. I think I like the idea more than the actual watch itself. Never thought I would release the Hulk, but I could potentially see myself doing that to help fund this (prices are insane), or the birth year 16800...just not sure. I'd probably get rid of the Black Bay as well, since that lives on RubberB.

This wouldn't happen for sometime I presume, since I've heard the wait is long.

What are your thoughts? Is it worth it? It would be a consolidation exercise as well...Pics taken off the net.

Old 2 September 2021, 11:48 PM   #2
pwf6031
"TRF" Member

I have one in WG and it's my favorite watch of all time. It's a joy to wear. Sporty and luxurious feeling, and the WG flies under the radar. Go for it, imo!
pwf6031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 12:12 AM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Beauty of a watch.

I personally would keep the 116610LV. It's just that good and you love it. It will not get cheaper, so, if you regret it, good luck....

Instead, I would let go of the 16710 (it's easy to get back and, with the 16800, you have older Rolex sports well covered), the Reverso (because neither you nor your wife are keen on it, it's just a watch and you have the GS for a nice strap watch) and the Black Bay (too many watches of yours I would rather wear). If you need to flip one more instead of adding cash, then bye-bye 16800 (116610LV is special and better for day-to-day).

* OF RG Daytona
* RG DD 40
* 116610LV
[* 16800]
* DJ41
* GS
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 12:18 AM   #4
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Beauty of a watch.

I personally would keep the 116610LV. It's just that good and you love it. It will not get cheaper, so, if you regret it, good luck....

Instead, I would let go of the 16710 (it's easy to get back and, with the 16800, you have older Rolex sports well covered), the Reverso (because neither you nor your wife are keen on it, it's just a watch and you have the GS for a nice strap watch) and the Black Bay (too many watches of yours I would rather wear). If you need to flip one more instead of adding cash, then bye-bye 16800 (116610LV is special and better for day-to-day).

* OF RG Daytona
* RG DD 40
* 116610LV
[* 16800]
* DJ41
* GS
Thanks Cru - I don't disagree with anything you said above. The benefit of letting go of the Hulk is more cash, but I do truly love the watch and could see regret in letting it go.

I like (love?) the 16800, but the Oysteflex Daytona...wow baby.
Old 3 September 2021, 12:21 AM   #5
rmagoo57

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Where/when do you plan to wear that beauty? Out for dinner, on vacation, etc. If you didn't have this, what current piece would wear? There's your answer!
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 12:27 AM   #6
WalterW
"TRF" Member

Definitely sell the wedding watch.
WalterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 12:30 AM   #7
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterW View Post
Definitely sell the wedding watch.
Yeah...I'm starting to realize the whole "sentimentality" behind some watches isn't worth its weight in gold. It just sits in the box.
Old 3 September 2021, 12:35 AM   #8
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
I’m waiting for a WG OF from my AD and most likely will need to sell one of my watches to offset the cost since my wifey won’t be too thrilled. Likely my SkyD will go. I wouldn’t dare to sell my Hulk and you shouldn’t either :)
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 12:35 AM   #9
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I’d keep the LV if you can. It’s just so different and potentially a regret and hard to come by (price wise) in the future.

I’d let go the JLC, BB and birth year sub. And try and make up the difference to the Daytona. Which is truly stunning in that combo.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 01:00 AM   #10
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

IMO it’s kind of irrelevant now. If and when that day comes then decide. But I’d agree to get rid of what you don’t wear if you need to come up with funds.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 01:03 AM   #11
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
IMO it’s kind of irrelevant now. If and when that day comes then decide. But I’d agree to get rid of what you don’t wear if you need to come up with funds.
True - I'm not getting rid of anything until the day it comes (IF it comes).

Just planning for that future date so I'm ready!
Old 3 September 2021, 01:12 AM   #12
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If I liked it enough I would consolidate. One day I probably will. Each to their own. Right now I prefer the variety.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 01:13 AM   #13
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
True - I'm not getting rid of anything until the day it comes (IF it comes).

Just planning for that future date so I'm ready!
In this situation you have time on your side. Dig out the reverso and wear it. If it’s not ringing bells, may as well part with it now. Id probably do that also with the Tudor. As for the subs, worth hanging onto if you like them. Even if market drops I doubt it will do so precipitously so doubt you will lose lots of money by selling later.

Even though you don’t consider the dd, dj, gs as expendable, the rate at which your collection changes I wouldn’t be surprised if you changed your mind in the future. In that situation same as for the subs.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 01:15 AM   #14
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
Post a collection shot for us to judge
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 01:57 AM   #15
-dustin

Eh, I wouldn't drop the wedding watch. But that's just me speaking from my own personal experience/ regret. And I'd also have no qualms dropping the Hulk, assuming the Daytona tickled the same fancy. Take advantage of the sky high valuation. Black Bay would get the axe since they're easily replaced if desired, unless it can stand in as 'beater', and birth year....meh.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 02:01 AM   #16
HippoPAPAmus
"TRF" Member

The Daytona OF is a lot of fun. It is the most comfortable watch I’ve ever owned. Very sporty and stands out amongst rest of my collection that is all bracelets. Also being gold it has a little more substance than the SS version. I prefer the ceramic bezel as well so that is also nice. I will say you should try one on first if you can. The Daytona wears smaller than your DD40 (which wears smaller than your Hulk). The OF helps a bit in my opinion, but it’s something to consider.

My $.02: Keep the Hulk at all costs. They aren’t getting any cheaper and you’ll never want to pay the ridiculous premium to get it back so once it’s gone, it’s likely gone forever. As crazy as it may sound to some, if I were after another watch I would let my WG OF go and get back on the list for another before I would sell my Hulk. I’ve never paid over list for a watch and I don’t know that I ever will. Paying $10k+ over list for a used watch I once got at a discount would not sit well with me.

Finally, since your DD40 is RG might you consider a WG or YG? WG came my way first (below), but I’ve seriously considered the YG with the Paul Newman dial to further spice things up (not mine, but very cool).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HippoPAPAmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 02:39 AM   #17
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
Quote:
I'm on the list for one and I truly do like it - but if it were to come, I'd have to release couple from the collection.

The watches that 100% will stay in the collection are the 16710, the DD40, the DJ41 and the GS. My Reverso was my wedding watch and I've had it for 8 years but rarely wear it; even my wife is blah about it. I think I like the idea more than the actual watch itself. Never thought I would release the Hulk, but I could potentially see myself doing that to help fund this (prices are insane), or the birth year 16800...just not sure. I'd probably get rid of the Black Bay as well, since that lives on RubberB.

This wouldn't happen for sometime I presume, since I've heard the wait is long.

What are your thoughts? Is it worth it? It would be a consolidation exercise as well...Pics taken off the net.
Let's say you get the OF Daytona. What's the chances it eventually becomes a consolidation piece itself for another future purchase?
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 02:44 AM   #18
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I'd get rid of a couple of watches that you find yourself wearing seldomly... I think that daytona would add a nice variety to your collection. What I am sure of though, is that its always fun to have these kinds of thoughts. Good luck and enjoy!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 02:52 AM   #19
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I would but since you already have rose gold I'd go with yellow.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 02:56 AM   #20
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Thanks Cru - I don't disagree with anything you said above. The benefit of letting go of the Hulk is more cash, but I do truly love the watch and could see regret in letting it go.

I like (love?) the 16800, but the Oysteflex Daytona...wow baby.
I agree with Cru (no surprise there)

You’re going to want a diver anyway so why screw up a good thing and get rid of one of the best

You’re welcome
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 03:01 AM   #21
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoPAPAmus View Post
The Daytona OF is a lot of fun. It is the most comfortable watch I’ve ever owned. Very sporty and stands out amongst rest of my collection that is all bracelets. Also being gold it has a little more substance than the SS version. I prefer the ceramic bezel as well so that is also nice. I will say you should try one on first if you can. The Daytona wears smaller than your DD40 (which wears smaller than your Hulk). The OF helps a bit in my opinion, but it’s something to consider.

My $.02: Keep the Hulk at all costs. They aren’t getting any cheaper and you’ll never want to pay the ridiculous premium to get it back so once it’s gone, it’s likely gone forever. As crazy as it may sound to some, if I were after another watch I would let my WG OF go and get back on the list for another before I would sell my Hulk. I’ve never paid over list for a watch and I don’t know that I ever will. Paying $10k+ over list for a used watch I once got at a discount would not sit well with me.

Finally, since your DD40 is RG might you consider a WG or YG? WG came my way first (below), but I’ve seriously considered the YG with the Paul Newman dial to further spice things up (not mine, but very cool).

Same thoughts here

This is the perfect holiday watch. Taken it on two holidays this year and it’s also one if not the most comfortable watch I own. Although brand new those fins dig in, given a week of tight fitment they change and it becomes very comfortable.

I too went with WG first but really want to add the YG. Held off for now. I try to not to buy watches that are too similar.

bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 03:02 AM   #22
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexest View Post
Post a collection shot for us to judge
Will do in the near future. I took one the other day and forgot to include my BB...whoops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
I’d keep the LV if you can. It’s just so different and potentially a regret and hard to come by (price wise) in the future.

I’d let go the JLC, BB and birth year sub. And try and make up the difference to the Daytona. Which is truly stunning in that combo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippoPAPAmus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I agree with Cru (no surprise there)

You’re going to want a diver anyway so why screw up a good thing and get rid of one of the best

You’re welcome
As always around here - great minds think alike. Along with Cru, I am in agreement with what you vets are saying.

The Hulk is truly something special, and that's why I love it so much. I had a moment of weakness when posting earlier but that was due to it's current market worth. I can make up for that cash elsewhere if the OF Daytona comes up!
Old 3 September 2021, 03:17 AM   #23
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Oysterflex Daytona - consolidate to attain?

I would def consolidate my collection of barely worn watches (including a 116610 LV) toward a WG Daytona especially the meteorite one on OysterFlex. Then again maybe I would because my collection is lucky to include a 16610LV before prices went nutty.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 03:18 AM   #24
SWS65SM

Watch: Rainbow....CasiOak
Is your AD saying that they will actually keeping you in mind for one down the road? Out here in many large markets it's simply a matter of reaching a certain spending threshold, otherwise the attempt with the AD route will simply be futile.

I was also drawn to this particularly combo but held off requesting this piece, am considering the WG version instead now. Part of that is because already have one RG piece in 126715 and want a bit more diversity in color in the collection, while some of the feedback also mentioned this particularly combo has a darker appearance which does not quite jive with what I tend to wear. Not sure if these factors matter to you , but I know you do have a RG DD40...
SWS65SM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 03:33 AM   #25
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWS65SM View Post
Is your AD saying that they will actually keeping you in mind for one down the road? Out here in many large markets it's simply a matter of reaching a certain spending threshold, otherwise the attempt with the AD route will simply be futile.

I was also drawn to this particularly combo but held off requesting this piece, am considering the WG version instead now. Part of that is because already have one RG piece in 126715 and want a bit more diversity in color in the collection, while some of the feedback also mentioned this particularly combo has a darker appearance which does not quite jive with what I tend to wear. Not sure if these factors matter to you , but I know you do have a RG DD40...
Yes - same AD that got me the OP41 and DJ41. She said it would be awhile, but definitely pushed for me to get on the list if that means anything (she actually seems to care).
Old 3 September 2021, 05:09 AM   #26
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Hulk plus DD plus OF would be a killer trio.

Not sure how any of the other watches would get onto the wrist after that and would only serve to look pretty in the box.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 05:20 AM   #27
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
No
Old 3 September 2021, 05:32 AM   #28
train-time

Quote:
Yes - same AD that got me the OP41 and DJ41. She said it would be awhile, but definitely pushed for me to get on the list if that means anything (she actually seems to care).
Jessie, you are lucky to be considered for this allocation at MSRP by your AD. Where I am it takes considerably more than MSRP to get one of these from an AD. Lists don't mean anything.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 05:38 AM   #29
GolfJunkie

Watch: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Hulk plus DD plus OF would be a killer trio.

Not sure how any of the other watches would get onto the wrist after that and would only serve to look pretty in the box.
Have to agree with this + I would keep the 16710.

Easy for me to say

Really wish I could get down to 4-6 watches. Just don't see how I can get there...
Old 3 September 2021, 05:42 AM   #30
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

I really want to add one of these as well.

But I don’t get the OF (and haven’t seen it in a boutique, so would be buying blind).. I hear great things about it and I know it has metal inside etc, but is it really that much more than a rubber b? Is it durable/ages well? Does it pull on arm hair?!
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote