The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 September 2021, 08:32 AM   #1
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
Oyster perpetual availability

I’m actually interested in the green op 36. I know I’m not going to get one from an AD, but the more Rolex makes the cheaper they’ll be on the secondary market. I think I might be ready to get one in about six months.
Does anyone know if they’re making a lot of OPs? And do they equally make each color? Or are there some colors they make more of?

Thanks all!
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 08:36 AM   #2
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Nobody knows anything about quantities of each model produced. However, by pure logic, since it’s a new watch there’s a comparatively low supply on the secondary market. The longer you wait, the more they will become available. Whether the price decreases on the secondary market in response to that increased supply is a different story.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 08:39 AM   #3
ks58
Banned

I'm guessing it's relatively low or they're holding back on supply. Honestly, I don't think many of the ADs are getting too many of any watch nowadays.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 09:53 AM   #4
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njkdog View Post
I’m actually interested in the green op 36. I know I’m not going to get one from an AD, but the more Rolex makes the cheaper they’ll be on the secondary market. I think I might be ready to get one in about six months.
Does anyone know if they’re making a lot of OPs? And do they equally make each color? Or are there some colors they make more of?

Thanks all!
I was told in May by what seemed like a very knowledgeable and conscientious AD that there only 3000 each of the hot color (red, green, tiffany, yellow) in 41 made per year. Sure it is the same for 36. It was explained to me that only 80,000 OP are made per year; there are 5 sizes and each size has multiple colors. So that math, sadly, makes sense.
Plus we must keep in mind that is a global figure for the 9 BILLION people on the planet. East Asia alone could easily swallow that number year in and year out.
The smart advice, if you can swing it, is to choke on the premium like I did and buy from a trusted scalper.
Doubt these watches are coming down substantially in price (save the smallest sizes which are already not high) any time this decade barring a 1929 style global collapse.
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 10:24 AM   #5
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sims View Post
I was told in May by what seemed like a very knowledgeable and conscientious AD that there only 3000 each of the hot color (red, green, tiffany, yellow) in 41 made per year. Sure it is the same for 36. It was explained to me that only 80,000 OP are made per year; there are 5 sizes and each size has multiple colors. So that math, sadly, makes sense.
Plus we must keep in mind that is a global figure for the 9 BILLION people on the planet. East Asia alone could easily swallow that number year in and year out.
The smart advice, if you can swing it, is to choke on the premium like I did and buy from a trusted scalper.
Doubt these watches are coming down substantially in price (save the smallest sizes which are already not high) any time this decade barring a 1929 style global collapse.
I wouldn’t believe what this AD said. Rolex isn’t giving them that information.

Also, there’s 7 billion people in this world, not 9 billion. And obviously not everyone can buy a Rolex of that 7 billion even if there were no demand problems.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 12:04 PM   #6
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Do not believe what ADs say. Rolex does not disclose anyone the actual numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 04:27 PM   #7
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njkdog View Post

Thanks all!
If you’re expecting the price to be miraculously cheaper in 6 months, you’ll likely be very disappointed
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 10:54 PM   #8
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post

Also, there’s 7 billion people in this world, not 9 billion. And obviously not everyone can buy a Rolex of that 7 billion even if there were no demand problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrs63 View Post
Do not believe what ADs say. Rolex does not disclose anyone the actual numbers

While Rolex doesn't disclose that, the 80,000 does at least seem reasonable (roughly 10% of production to the "base" model). If production of 80,000 allocated equally across sizes, that's 16,000/size, that's just over 2,000 for each color in 41.

Also, based on location, FWIW, I'm guessing that this AD is the same as the one who was a brief TikTok celebrity ;).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 10:55 PM   #9
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
If you’re expecting the price to be miraculously cheaper in 6 months, you’ll likely be very disappointed
This is true. However there's always a chance that the likelihood of getting one through an AD in six months increases. But changes in secondary market pricing will lag.
Old 15 September 2021, 11:31 PM   #10
telesquire
Banned

No shortage of them grey over here but 3k over MSRP....ouch!
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 11:32 PM   #11
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Some colours harder to come by compared to steel Daytona's some ADs have said to me
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 11:53 PM   #12
pmoz
"TRF" Member

As I am mainly interested in vintage watches, I don't have any relationship to any AD - meaning that I cannot even get on the waiting list for an OP36 blue dial, which is one of few new watches that I like...

According to them, everyone wants the same color (but most want Tiffany and Green from what I see) and they are not making many OP.

Not sure how the 36MM became popular again, but maybe we'll see a shift towards smaller watches again?
pmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 12:07 AM   #13
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telesquire View Post
3k or 3x? If you can buy the hot colors for only 3k over retail you should do so and then flip to US buyers haha
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 12:08 AM   #14
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
14k over MSRP for OP41 turqoise
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 12:30 AM   #15
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
While Rolex doesn't disclose that, the 80,000 does at least seem reasonable (roughly 10% of production to the "base" model). If production of 80,000 allocated equally across sizes, that's 16,000/size, that's just over 2,000 for each color in 41.

Also, based on location, FWIW, I'm guessing that this AD is the same as the one who was a brief TikTok celebrity ;).

Rolex makes 800,000 not 80,000

Old 16 September 2021, 12:41 AM   #16
telesquire
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
3k or 3x? If you can buy the hot colors for only 3k over retail you should do so and then flip to US buyers haha
£3000 over for the OP36.
Old 16 September 2021, 12:59 AM   #17
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They make 800,000 Oyster Perpetuals a year?

He was clearly not referring to their total production.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 01:15 AM   #18
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post

Exactly. I was referring to the 80,000 estimate on OP production and that dedicating roughly 10% of production capacity to the most entry-level model line seemed to make sense.

Aside from estimated demand, I would imagine that at least some production figures are affected by how many other watches share the same components. The more scalable production is, the easier it is to produce more (if desired).
Old 16 September 2021, 01:18 AM   #19
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Quote:
£3000 over for the OP36.
That's about the same markup on the green 36 as here (about $4,000). For whatever reason, among the "hot" colors, the green seems to go for the lowest premium (followed by yellow). Red is higher, and candy pink/turquoise are just bonkers.
Old 16 September 2021, 01:24 AM   #20
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskyrolex View Post

My bad, did misread

Old 16 September 2021, 01:34 AM   #21
telesquire
Banned

Quote:
That's about the same markup on the green 36 as here (about $4,000). For whatever reason, among the "hot" colors, the green seems to go for the lowest premium (followed by yellow). Red is higher, and candy pink/turquoise are just bonkers.
Yeah exactly the same here. Odd world. I still can't figure why the Explorer 36mm is going for more than the DJ36 new on the grey market. A nice watch but entry level and 36mm is still not the most popular size. As a £5k watch fine....but now £8995?
Old 16 September 2021, 02:26 AM   #22
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Yeah exactly the same here. Odd world. I still can't figure why the Explorer 36mm is going for more than the DJ36 new on the grey market. A nice watch but entry level and 36mm is still not the most popular size. As a £5k watch fine....but now £8995?
That one makes more sense: It's part of the Professional lineup, and "new" this year, both of which automatically add to its secondary market pricing regardless of real-world demand. I suspect prices will stabilize on this one in the near future, given the (relative) ease of acquiring one from an AD.

The OP green dial makes entirely less sense: Green is the new "it" color and a green dial alone has created massively inflated secondary prices for the YG Daytona and DD36, RG DD40, Sub LV, DJ palm, as well as out-of-production models (old YG DD36, Hulk, Kermit). On the other hand, deep blue dials fetch a premium over non-blue counterparts (Nautilus, Royal Oak, SkyD) and the deep blue OP seems to be the easiest color to obtain.
Old 16 September 2021, 08:53 AM   #23
bob sims
Banned

Quote:

No a different state!
But a big to the rest of your comment!
Old 16 September 2021, 12:20 PM   #24
grimps
"TRF" Member

My AD said they have received 7 of all colours and all sizes since they've been released
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2021, 06:17 AM   #25
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post

7.9 billion as of this month according to:
https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
Old 17 September 2021, 06:23 AM   #26
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
My AD said they have received 7 of all colours and all sizes since they've been released
Brutal.
In other words if you only want a specific size and color you are out of luck.
Not so "mass produced" as many here think-or pretend to think.