The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 October 2021, 10:16 AM   #1
inatime
"TRF" Member

1956 Explorer ref.6298

Hello forum members.

I have only just joined and wish to share this particular watch that I've just come upon but I don't have much information on. I see other threads on the 6298, but not with this particular configuration.

It appears all original.

If anyone has any thoughts on the watch, I'd appreciate it. I'm Canadian and it wouldn't surprise me if this watch was marketed and sold to the Canadian market.

FYI, I have cross posted this in another forum to see if I can find some feedback, thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg explorer dial.jpg (214.2 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg explorer movement 1.jpg (212.5 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg explorer movement 2.jpg (207.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg explorer inside caseback.jpg (213.4 KB, 142 views)
inatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 10:23 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

6298s are nice watches. I'm not so convinced that this dial is original.
Old 29 October 2021, 10:41 AM   #3
inatime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I'm not so convinced that this dial is original.
Thanks for the comments.

When you say "original" to you mean refinished or a dial from another reference? I've attached a pic of an example someone else found for this reference with same dial but different case (all stainless, no gold bezel or gold crown).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Explorer precision.JPG (67.0 KB, 136 views)
Old 29 October 2021, 11:20 AM   #4
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Sooooo many dial variations in 1950s Canadian market Rolexes and Tudors.

My vote is for the dial being original. Do you have any information about the provenance?
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 11:22 AM   #5
CTech
"TRF" Member

This is very curious and I think Dan is referring to the ROTOR SELF-WINDING wording which is usually seen on Tudor watches, not Rolex dials.

The fact that there are two dials with the same wording is a puzzle and there are many possibilities about what has been done. Unless there is clear evidence from an acknowledged expert that there were Rolex watches made with this dial design and wording I will believe that both are repainted dials or replica dials.

Coming back to the original watch, I am also not convinced there were any 6298 watches made originally with a gold bezel and gold winder. If there was not a two-tone version of this watch, this is starting to look like a made up watch with a gold bezel, gold winder, gold hands and strange dial added sometime during its long life.

A repainted dial wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if it was done properly but there are too many questions about this one.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 11:43 AM   #6
inatime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTech View Post

Coming back to the original watch, I am also not convinced there were any 6298 watches made originally with a gold bezel and gold winder. If there was not a two-tone version of this watch, this is starting to look like a made up watch with a gold bezel, gold winder, gold hands and strange dial added sometime during its long life.

A repainted dial wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if it was done properly but there are too many questions about this one.
Great comments all, thanks.

As for provenance, it came from an estate and the previous gentleman owner would have had a Rolex of this vintage.

As for the dial being refinished, I'm having the dial and hands pulled (by a professional) and we will have a look a the dial to see if there is a refinishing mark on it.

As for a franken Rolex, I am not convinced of this given the previous ownership.

I have this other Rolex (image attached) that everyone was convinced was not original but after some deep searching and connections, we determined it was authentic. It was marketed and sold in Canada as well and it came directly to me from the original owner.

At any rate, this is great discussion and I appreciate everyone's input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex horn lugs.jpg (213.4 KB, 114 views)
Old 29 October 2021, 11:55 AM   #7
inatime
"TRF" Member

6298 Explorer

Forgive me if this is a duplicate reply as my last reply with new information and pics disappeared when I confirmed to post it.

Anyway, the watch comes from a widow's husband; she can't remember it being modified during his ownership. I'm having the watch taken apart and the dial and hands removed so I can get a look at the back of the dial to see if there is a refinishing mark.

Another of my vintage Rolex (pic attached) people were also convinced it was not original. But alas, a Canadian marketed and sold watch that was authentic as it came from the original owner I knew.

Great discussion everyone. Thank you so much for the quick replies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex horn lugs.jpg (213.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 29 October 2021, 11:59 PM   #8
Nick9
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTech View Post
This is very curious and I think Dan is referring to the ROTOR SELF-WINDING wording which is usually seen on Tudor watches, not Rolex dials.

The fact that there are two dials with the same wording is a puzzle and there are many possibilities about what has been done. Unless there is clear evidence from an acknowledged expert that there were Rolex watches made with this dial design and wording I will believe that both are repainted dials or replica dials.

Certainly it’s the ROTOR SELF WINDING text that’s the questionable feature.

I have a Rolex Meritus, also from the 1950s, with the same text layout. I’ll post a picture when I have more time.

A bezel and crown swap is possible, maybe likely. In those days, the jewellers selling Rolex gave customers lots of choices.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote