The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 December 2021, 01:25 AM   #1
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Datejust 36 dial colours advice

I'm looking to add a new DJ 36 to the ever growing collection, I'm a little undecided on dial colour although leaning towards the classic silver sunburst.

I'm going with jubilee + fluted bezel.

I really love the look of vintage DJ silver / linen / grey dials, and I think this new silver sunburst is the closest to those. I also think it's the most versatile colour to pair with leather straps down the road.

I currently have a white dial air-king 114200, and black Sub 114060 in the collection.

The blue sunburst DJ dial looks amazing but it's dark and I plan to add more professional models down the line as well, so I'm attempting to stay away from the darker dials on the DJ.

I'm also not into the new motif dials as I feel they're little too busy for a jubilee + fluted combination.

Can anyone chime in on these DJ dials?
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 02:08 AM   #2
sunnygps
2024 Pledge Member

The silver or the sundust dials are your best choices if you want to stay away from the blue/black dials. I have both - the sundust is a TT and this combination looks amazing if you can live with the TT. Mine are all DJ41s on 6.75 inch wrist.

Next time, I will go with the 36mm as they are more comfortable on my wrist.
sunnygps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 02:22 AM   #3
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygps View Post
The silver or the sundust dials are your best choices if you want to stay away from the blue/black dials. I have both - the sundust is a TT and this combination looks amazing if you can live with the TT. Mine are all DJ41s on 6.75 inch wrist.

Great shots, I love how they take on different shades depending on surroundings. I'm staying away from tow-tone for now so the silver dial is probably my best bet. Cheers
Old 28 December 2021, 02:28 AM   #4
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
I'd go with white Roman numeral dial if blue is not on your list.
Paired with flutted bezel and jubile bracelet it is very different from any sport/professional model
Old 28 December 2021, 02:28 AM   #5
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
I think they make wimbledon dial in 36mm as well so you would have the silver sunburst effect with the green roman numerals to add some color as well.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 02:50 AM   #6
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I have this exact piece and considered all dial options before deciding on silver. So here’s my two pence:

The darker dials on the 36mm make the watch appear smaller than it actually is. Whilst 36mm is the right size for me, I didn’t want a colour which made it look smaller than necessary.

The Wimbledon is very flat (in my opinion). I’ve seen it on both 36 and 41mm watches and I don’t get it. The numerals don’t help.

Blue whilst a nice colour is too dark for me on these watches. I also wanted some very versatile and classic, so silver was the one. Blue (again in my opinion) could be a bit of a fad and isn’t as versatile as silver.

So, on to the silver. I absolutely love it. It’s somewhat of a chameleon. Sometimes it shines as champagne, sometimes salmon, sometimes more grey. The sunburst dial is wonderful. It’s absolutely timeless too. I strongly considered a 5 digit silver dial but prices are practically the same for a brand new 6 digit so it made sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 02:54 AM   #7
Musicfreak1988
"TRF" Member

Having and having had experience with the 114060 and 116234 in silver, I get what you're saying when you say that the new motif dials are busy with a jubilee bracelet and fluted bezel, and although the linen dials were a little calmer than the current fluted motif dials, I feel these new (fluted motif) dials could be some kind of a spiritual successor to the linen and even more the tapestry dials of yesteryear. I know there have been flower motif dials and now the palm (frooonds?) as well, but to me, both the linen and motif dials provide more symmetry than the more 'loosely, curvy, ...' palm and floral motifs.

The silver DJ is a fantastic classic, but / and it has very monochrome as well (some people do find it to be a little boring after a while). Of course it's not really under the radar. The fluted bezel will glimmer heavily in the morning light, but it's still a rather monochrome look, if you will. But, because it's silver and thus more reflective than dark blue or black, light and colors of your surroundings play more actively with the dial (and bracelet and bezel). Some people find the silver-on-silver configuration a little bit tough to read at times, but if your eye sight is okay, that's all relative. Just move your wrist a tiny bit to let the light hit from a slightly different angle.

The case (and jubilee bracelet) are as comfortable as can be. I do believe your 114060 to be extremely comfortable as well, but it's another 'kind' of comfortable. The 126234 is a lot lighter in weight and smaller in size, the jubilee bracelet is more flexible than the oyster (the glidelock is a big plus of the 114060, though), ... you'll forget you're wearing it at times.

Regarding the dial color again: if you're set on a DJ36 in the 126234 configuration, and have ruled out black, blue and white for the dial's color and if you don't want diamonds on your dial (the aubergine is kinda cool, I think), your only options are white roman, silver, green palm motif and slate gray (aka Wimbledon). Which one sings the most to you?

If you haven't really ruled out a dial color: blue, blue fluted and black are hard to beat and are very versatile. The black dial will make it look a little smaller, though.
If you haven't ruled out TT, 126233 with white stick dial looks like a modern-day version of the first 50/60s models, or one could see the 126233 with champagne fluted dial as an evolution of the 80s linen or tapestry TT DJs. Personally I'm not a fan of any rose gold combinations, at least on the DJ36 (I do find the sundust dial in combination with steel and Everose on the TT DJ41 in the second post very nice. Chocolate dial is nice as well. Everose looks great on some other models of the catalogue as well).

I guess you've already seen (some of) these watches in real life and have watched a lot of videos on youtube. If you're in it for the watch and don't find resale value all that important, I'd really pick the one that makes your heart beat faster (and even then, you'll be able to have a different dial installed by Rolex if you really want).

All is IMO / YMMV / etc... of course. Don't know if this really helps.
Musicfreak1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 02:54 AM   #8
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygps View Post

Your TT on Jubilee, silver dial with gold hands and indices really pops! That is a stunner! I'm sold on that one right there. :)
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 04:27 AM   #9
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
I'd go with white Roman numeral dial if blue is not on your list.
Paired with flutted bezel and jubile bracelet it is very different from any sport/professional model
My air-king actually has Roman numerals (Buckley style) so that’s a no go for me.
Old 28 December 2021, 04:29 AM   #10
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
I think they make wimbledon dial in 36mm as well so you would have the silver sunburst effect with the green roman numerals to add some color as well.
I personally can’t stand the single stick on the Wimbledon dial, and my air-king already has Roman’s numerals so that’s also a no go.
Old 28 December 2021, 04:29 AM   #11
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
I have this exact piece and considered all dial options before deciding on silver. So here’s my two pence:

The darker dials on the 36mm make the watch appear smaller than it actually is. Whilst 36mm is the right size for me, I didn’t want a colour which made it look smaller than necessary.

The Wimbledon is very flat (in my opinion). I’ve seen it on both 36 and 41mm watches and I don’t get it. The numerals don’t help.

Blue whilst a nice colour is too dark for me on these watches. I also wanted some very versatile and classic, so silver was the one. Blue (again in my opinion) could be a bit of a fad and isn’t as versatile as silver.

So, on to the silver. I absolutely love it. It’s somewhat of a chameleon. Sometimes it shines as champagne, sometimes salmon, sometimes more grey. The sunburst dial is wonderful. It’s absolutely timeless too. I strongly considered a 5 digit silver dial but prices are practically the same for a brand new 6 digit so it made sense.

I thinks this silver dial is going to be the one. Great pics thanks!
Old 28 December 2021, 06:51 AM   #12
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

This seems like a great combination.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0A94E030-E7AC-453D-97E9-CD097CC2CFF5.jpeg (179.8 KB, 775 views)
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 06:53 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
This seems like a great combination.
Agreed, it’ll always be in fashion
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 07:28 AM   #14
Recaro18
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16520
Love the classic Blue DJ36!

~Connecting people through my passion, one timepiece at a time~
Recaro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 08:27 AM   #15
SpiritSoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio A500
I have the DJ36 in silver dial and fluted bezel, but on the Oyster bracelet. It pretty much is an all rounder and not too "blingy" compared to the two-tone counterparts. Its a good choice, considering most of the desired Sports Models are with black/dark dials. Gives a variety in the collection.
SpiritSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 10:07 AM   #16
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSoul View Post
I have the DJ36 in silver dial and fluted bezel, but on the Oyster bracelet. It pretty much is an all rounder and not too "blingy" compared to the two-tone counterparts. Its a good choice, considering most of the desired Sports Models are with black/dark dials. Gives a variety in the collection.
Exactly what I’m thinking, considering all the SS sports models have dark dials here’s my opportunity to add a light coloured sunburst.
Old 28 December 2021, 10:17 AM   #17
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Exactly what I’m thinking, considering all the SS sports models have dark dials here’s my opportunity to add a light coloured sunburst.
I bought three 36mm Datejusts over the past six months - blue dial, Wimbledon dial, and silver dial. They are all terrific. Since you want to avoid another dark dial blue is out, and since you do not like the Wimbledon, that’s out. So as far as I can tell, you’re on solid ground with the silver! Honestly, can’t go wrong with the silver - it’s a classic, and far from boring with that beautiful sunburst. It wasn’t on my radar until I saw this video and then I had to have one.
https://www.watchgecko.com/the-rolex...nds-on-review/
SoylentGreenChi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 11:03 AM   #18
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
I bought three 36mm Datejusts over the past six months - blue dial, Wimbledon dial, and silver dial. They are all terrific. Since you want to avoid another dark dial blue is out, and since you do not like the Wimbledon, that’s out. So as far as I can tell, you’re on solid ground with the silver! Honestly, can’t go wrong with the silver - it’s a classic, and far from boring with that beautiful sunburst. It wasn’t on my radar until I saw this video and then I had to have one.
https://www.watchgecko.com/the-rolex...nds-on-review/
Nice video and absolutely timeless indeed, probably even a little more than some of the models in the professional line. I think silver dial it is for me, cheers.
Old 28 December 2021, 11:18 AM   #19
zaphod777
"TRF" Member

The blue sunburst looks quite different in different lighting. Sometimes it can come off as dark and other times it can come off as a more pale blue, almost baby blue.
zaphod777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 12:29 PM   #20
sunnygps
2024 Pledge Member

I still believe that the silver DJ is a classic dial. The blue stick dial is a darker shade of blue than the Azzuro blue. If you are looking for a classic look, then go for the silver. Otherwise, the blue dial DJ with fluted bezel is a great option as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5CE6066C-CA38-426E-8DF8-5162BAB20992.jpeg (188.7 KB, 649 views)
File Type: jpeg 918707B3-216E-4E06-8CD3-02E1FF361B1E.jpeg (155.5 KB, 645 views)
File Type: jpeg 8716DEDE-E682-49E6-95AA-AAF359FFD09F.jpeg (244.7 KB, 646 views)
sunnygps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 09:48 PM   #21
SpiritSoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio A500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
At some angles the dial gives off a "Champagne" tone... similar to the OP39 Silver dial.
SpiritSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 10:14 PM   #22
alweisenberger
"TRF" Member

I just picked up a 126234 silver, fluted, oyster, and love the dial! Very silver in direct sun. If you are in a room with more yellow light, it will reflect a little more champagne color, but still mostly silver. Love it!
alweisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2021, 11:32 PM   #23
dannyp
Banned

Question: Just how important are the date and fluted bezel? I ask because, given your preference for the vintage-style dials, have you considered an OP36 silver, then ordering a Jubilee to have fitted? You'll not find a better dial in the lineup for that look, given the way the light often reflects the gold markers off of the silver dial. It's pretty great.

Always a chance the DJ will be offered with that type of combo next year, though...

Otherwise, I think you're making the right choice, though for some reason the silver sunburst is the one DJ dial with which I think I actually prefer the domed bezel, even when paired with a Jubilee.

Oh, and of course, there is one other option... Source a NOS (likely from Hong Kong) Tudor Prince Date 34 s/linen dial. Apparently, there are still some floating around out there...
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2021, 12:29 AM   #24
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Question: Just how important are the date and fluted bezel? I ask because, given your preference for the vintage-style dials, have you considered an OP36 silver, then ordering a Jubilee to have fitted? You'll not find a better dial in the lineup for that look, given the way the light often reflects the gold markers off of the silver dial. It's pretty great.

Always a chance the DJ will be offered with that type of combo next year, though...

Otherwise, I think you're making the right choice, though for some reason the silver sunburst is the one DJ dial with which I think I actually prefer the domed bezel, even when paired with a Jubilee.

Oh, and of course, there is one other option... Source a NOS (likely from Hong Kong) Tudor Prince Date 34 s/linen dial. Apparently, there are still some floating around out there...
I actually love that silver / gold OP 36 dial, much more than the new popular summer colours. You’re right that it gives off the exact hue I’m after, the date, jubilee and fluted bezel are all something I’m after though since my current two don’t have them. I’ll try and hold out until spring to see if they release that style for the DJ.
Old 29 December 2021, 12:54 AM   #25
odcal814
"TRF" Member

A vintage DJ offers so many great dial options. I'm partial to Buckley dials.
odcal814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2021, 01:24 AM   #26
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by odcal814 View Post
A vintage DJ offers so many great dial options. I'm partial to Buckley dials.
The vintage DJ’s are great so many cool dial options.
Old 29 December 2021, 01:38 AM   #27
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
My personal favorite is the white dial with romans.
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2021, 02:08 AM   #28
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Ideally a DJ 36 dark blue dial with WG bezel on a jubilee would be the choice for me but it was not available at the time. It's a great model!

red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2021, 02:15 AM   #29
SaintMickey
Banned

White Fluted Jubilee...

SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2021, 05:36 AM   #30
phamou
"TRF" Member

Blue
phamou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags