The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 January 2022, 01:59 PM   #1
McinRolex
"TRF" Member

Exhibition models.. Do ADs sell them? or rotation?

I see many ADs have exhibition models for customers to try on these days.
One AD near me had basically most of the models but the difference is they all are NOT set on 10:10 with 28th date window.

I was wondering if ADs rotate these exhibition models (basically sell if they really want to deliver to their customer) and get different models for exhibition or do they just keep it there forever?
McinRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 02:18 PM   #2
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

Curious also, I’ve heard conflicting stories. My ad says they are not real but the same weight. I watched her rotate the bezel on a skydweller and adjust the time so if they are faux some how they still rotate and set time/date correctly. If fake I think it might have the spring removed. Any other guesses?
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 02:22 PM   #3
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
My AD has exhibition watches, really good collection of them. A few PM, many high demand models. They are all working watches and run normally, they are not stuck to 10:10. My AD can’t sell them though, Rolex provided no warranty cards for them. They don’t know if they’ll ever be able to sell them. But the AD owns them, had to buy them like every other piece they get. Can’t imagine Rolex forcing them to buy, $300K (guessing) of inventory they’ll never be able to earn a profit on.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 02:33 PM   #4
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

My AD got 20 exhibition watches. All running, but they told me they don’t have papers for those yet. Once Rolex sends in other exhibition pieces they will get warranty cards for the one that they can sell.
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 02:43 PM   #5
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
No exhibition pieces on my only local AD, no real ones neither other than some pre-owned / overpriced pieces
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 02:50 PM   #6
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawalsh View Post
My AD got 20 exhibition watches. All running, but they told me they don’t have papers for those yet. Once Rolex sends in other exhibition pieces they will get warranty cards for the one that they can sell.

So does that mean whoever are the lucky buyers will be purchasing it at a discount? I can't imagine the AD selling a display/demo watch for retail price?

The watches have gone through so many people's hands. Grant it, I'm sure they were "gentle". But still risk the chance of people scratching it.
eugenetsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 03:01 PM   #7
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenetsang View Post
So does that mean whoever are the lucky buyers will be purchasing it at a discount? I can't imagine the AD selling a display/demo watch for retail price?

The watches have gone through so many people's hands. Grant it, I'm sure they were "gentle". But still risk the chance of people scratching it.
Back in good old days when I started collecting. Watches sat in the case for so long and went through so many hands. They sold it as new I don’t see nothing wrong with it at all. Just like other watches in stores, how many people ask to try on for example Omega Speedmaster when it hit the store and they still sell it as new. Nothing wrong with that either.
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 03:29 PM   #8
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
I promise most of them are for sale, I personally know someone that got a green OP I watched them tell a guy it was for display. Then sold it watched this 2 times. But some are display only. Just depends who you are they are also sold orders
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 03:30 PM   #9
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawalsh View Post
Back in good old days when I started collecting. Watches sat in the case for so long and went through so many hands. They sold it as new I don’t see nothing wrong with it at all. Just like other watches in stores, how many people ask to try on for example Omega Speedmaster when it hit the store and they still sell it as new. Nothing wrong with that either.
I guess you have a point. As long as all the factory stickers are still intact.

Mentally for me, I still look at purchasing a watch like I am buying a car. I can't imagine me buying a demo model without a discount. Since so were so many people that played and driven the car prior to me buying it. There's no way that I would pay sticker/advertised price for a "demo" car.
eugenetsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 03:43 PM   #10
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I guess you have a point. As long as all the factory stickers are still intact.

Mentally for me, I still look at purchasing a watch like I am buying a car. I can't imagine me buying a demo model without a discount. Since so were so many people that played and driven the car prior to me buying it. There's no way that I would pay sticker/advertised price for a "demo" car.
People test drive the car all the time. Then you come along and test the same one and you like it. You usually buy that one and not a different version of the car that's covered in stickers in the back
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 03:45 PM   #11
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:

You honestly think anyone is going to languish on a wait list for years and then turn one down or ask for a discount cause its an ex demo piece?
I can hear the ADs laughing from here

RSC will give it a quick clean up (at best) and then it'll go in the safe for the next person "on the list"
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 04:30 PM   #12
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
after exhibition Rolex will destroy them all to maintain scarcity.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 05:01 PM   #13
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

Discount
Have you seen used prices?

In all seriousness, these models should go back to Rolex.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 05:28 PM   #14
BigGeo
"TRF" Member

I was recently in a local AD and the sales rep let me try on a Datejust 41 blue with diamond dial but made it very clear that it was not for sale. It had a “For Exhibit Only” tag attached, as did others. When I questioned why it couldn’t be sold, the rep said she believed it had some defect(s) and Rolex would not allow it to be sold.
BigGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 06:23 PM   #15
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Hey,

My mate recently picked up a DJ for his mum. They took it out of the display and replaced it with another one that came in. He was waiting on the DJ for about 3 months.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk
khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 06:28 PM   #16
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

You could ask the AD. It might vary.

Exhibition/demonstration stock, if fully working and retail spec, is usually bought at a discount with caveats regarding time on display and when it can be sold on. It might be that Rolex might have an option on buying it back or swapping it out at intervals.

I've bought watches that were on display. Not Rolex.

No point in guessing. When some of us have discussed this with our ADs a pattern will emerge. What's the betting it's highly variable?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 06:40 PM   #17
mattidk
"TRF" Member

I think they are all vary
- Some pieces rotate between ADs in the region, probably own by regional RL distributor
- Some pieces are only demo without calibers and need to return back
- Some pieces AD choose to make them exhibition before client picks it up
- Etc
mattidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 06:50 PM   #18
JohnWilson
"TRF" Member

I have talked to my AD about this. The models in the windows are all owned by the stores. The idea of displaying exhibition pieces is a push from Rolex to get all dealers (everywhere) to display things. I'm to sure if they get a good price on them etc. however they do get to chose what to display.
I haven't asked about selling them yet.

The practice does make sense though I think. It's nice to be able to see pieces and to try them on, even if you can't buy them there and then... how else do you know if you like the piece and are willing to wait for it.

Remember, the alternative is empty cabinets and nothing to see. I don't like my AD enough to just go in to chat over an empty cabinet and have a little more to do in my life!
JohnWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 06:52 PM   #19
carlmartin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
I wanted to see an exhibition piece at an AD last weekend and was told I could "see it but not try it on as they had promised the buyer to keep it as new".

No I don't believe it either but can't really see why they would say it like that
carlmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 08:51 PM   #20
al1786
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Visited my AD a few days ago, tried on a few "exhibition only" pieces, they had real movements.
AD confirmed they do sell exhibition pieces on rotation when new inventory is delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
al1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 08:58 PM   #21
Lewi777
"TRF" Member

Mappin and Webb in Bluewater (UK) said "Rolex own the watches" (the exhibition pieces) not them and so they can't sell them.
Lewi777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 10:04 PM   #22
1665fan
"TRF" Member

All depends who the buyer is……
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 10:23 PM   #23
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Most Rolex boutiques have exhibition models (no movement) but ADs have real models for exhibition but no warranty card, so ADs cannot sell it now.

I think whenever ADs got that warranty cards, they can sell them. I don't think they will give any discount but they probably let the customers know that it used to be floor samples before, so it's up to the buyer that want it or not. I think most buyer will be willing to buy at msrp instead of buying from grey market at the higher price.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
AP: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) PP: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Carree 2961, YG Carree, Tank W5000156 Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 10:44 PM   #24
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I was at the Naples boutique a few weeks ago (Tourneau) and there were a few display pieces not for sale, non-working - was told by SA that they had movements inside that were “locked”. I’ve heard this from other boutiques I’ve been to in the past 4 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 11:34 PM   #25
poppop1955
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I was under the impression that once they are rotated out the AD's will be able to sell them as used and be able to get grey market prices.
poppop1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 01:38 AM   #26
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

Man we've lived SOOO LONG with empty cases we've forgotten that... the cases used to be filled with actual watches on sale.

Yeah, there are some special (exhibition pieces) but there should be no hesitation about buying one out of the case / getting one out of the case.

I bring a watch loupe to inspect watches offered to me before pulling the trigger just in case. That's a bit of a bitch though when it comes to Rolex, because if you got your hands on a hot watch, would you really turn it down even if something was wrong.... thankfully I've not had to make any decision like that. Most of the hottest watches go straight from coffin to your wrist.
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 01:56 AM   #27
malba2366
"TRF" Member

I asked this question last week at a Rolex boutique and the salesman said for now they are permanent exhibition pieces and they don't even have cards for them. He said they will be able to sell them once they can maintain the stock that they are supposed but are unable due to demand at the moment.
malba2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 02:42 AM   #28
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I was back at my hometown Boutique over the holidays, their cases were fairly full with the non-working exhibition models. Whenever the OP I am waiting on comes in it will go straight to me.
The smaller market AD in my new area had a totally different story. On my last visit there they had a handful of women’s models in the case that were “display.” The SA told me they were required to keep 20 pieces in stock and had most of them in the safe. They would show these on request but not for sale until they get another shipment in to replace them.
Weird, but I kind of get it. The policy gives them the opportunity to vet the potential buyer first and the fact that if they did have what you wanted you would have to wait would weed out most flippers.
I have mentioned before that I fully believe my previous dealer will deliver the red OP41 they have promised me. If by some longshot chance the local dealer offered one first I would have a bit of a moral dilemma. I’m retired now and my watch spending is tapering off, but I still want a viable option if I want other Rolex in the future.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 04:10 AM   #29
bestkepttime
"TRF" Member

When I was in Edinburgh I was talking to a AD Manger and was told that the store owned all the watches (not loaned by Rolex ect) and could sell them as and when as long as they maintained a certain % of stock for display. - but I have also heard other AD’s doing different. Who knows….
bestkepttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 04:18 AM   #30
illiguy
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

The AD that is local to me had many hot models. They appeared to be the real thing, including fully stickered.

Are the exhibition models that are “dummy models” stickered at all?

That might be one way of distinguishing.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote