The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 January 2022, 11:40 AM   #1
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Silver OP on Leather?

Hey, :)

I've out checked Delugs' watch/strap configurator and played around a bit with different strap combinations. Seems like the new silver OP is a versatile strap monster. Do any of you here wear your silver OP:s on a leather strap? I'd really appreciate your photos. I've tried googling, but to no avail.

I've been considering if I should go with the silver or green OP as my next watch. I've really wanted a versatile Rolex that I can wear with different straps (yeah yeah, I know that someone will comment that it only belongs on the Oyster bracelet...) and the silver dial really fits everything. Although I might go with the 34mm if I choose the silver one (I have baby sized wrists).
Lord Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 12:23 PM   #2
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

Don't have any pics on leather, but I was able to find one on rubber.

Sent from my balloon knot
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 12:29 PM   #3
muskaroxs
"TRF" Member

Had mine On a dk.green NATO for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muskaroxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 04:03 AM   #4
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Looks extremely nice! No one with leather straps though? :)

Also, how hard is it to swap the bracelet to a strap? Does the OP also have the problem of damaging the strap at the lugs?
Old 15 January 2022, 04:12 AM   #5
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic_user View Post
Don't have any pics on leather, but I was able to find one on rubber.

Sent from my balloon knot
Wowzers! An Iso is quite a unique choice for an OP!
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 04:29 AM   #6
karleone
"TRF" Member

Make sure to get curved strap otherwise the sharp liner lugs will eat / destroy the edge of your strap.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 06:26 AM   #7
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
Make sure to get curved strap otherwise the sharp liner lugs will eat / destroy the edge of your strap.
I guess end links might solve that issue too? Or perhaps the thickness of the strap?
Old 15 January 2022, 07:19 AM   #8
karleone
"TRF" Member

I have many many leather straps that I have tried on my 16610 / 16710 / 116500 and they all gets destroyed by the sharp inner lug. I recently bought a curved strap and first time I have no issue.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 11:02 AM   #9
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Looks terrible
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 11:02 AM   #10
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc10ken View Post
I think the silver OP41 has that vintage look that would work well with leather straps, kind of like the old school DJs. Unfortunately I might also get confused between it and an old DJ if on a leather strap, hence if I am getting an OP41 I'd get the green.

Are you buying AD or grey?
I'm going the AD route. I actually like the vintage look, but don't really want a vintage watch. The new silver OP is perfect for that. I've looked at the green too and thought about it, but it won't be as versatile with different straps as the silver will be. And yes, I am indeed looking for a watch that can be used with different straps.

I won't go with the 41mm though. I'm either going the 34mm (I have really small wrists) or perhaps the 36. I think the 34 fit better than the 36 though when I last tested them on.
Old 15 January 2022, 11:15 AM   #11
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tomato View Post
I'm going the AD route. I actually like the vintage look, but don't really want a vintage watch. The new silver OP is perfect for that. I've looked at the green too and thought about it, but it won't be as versatile with different straps as the silver will be. And yes, I am indeed looking for a watch that can be used with different straps.

I won't go with the 41mm though. I'm either going the 34mm (I have really small wrists) or perhaps the 36. I think the 34 fit better than the 36 though when I last tested them on.
As an owner of the 36mm Silver OP, I can tell you it's damned-near perfect. It's also unique relative to the many colors offered on the OP; only one to have brown lume plots, and yellow-gold hour markers and hands. Think it could become a future classic.

I say damned-near because the lume is awful. Can't read it in the dark even after being in the sun all day.
espanol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 11:16 AM   #12
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
I have many many leather straps that I have tried on my 16610 / 16710 / 116500 and they all gets destroyed by the sharp inner lug. I recently bought a curved strap and first time I have no issue.
Would curved springbars help with the leather damage?
CarlOver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 11:20 AM   #13
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post

I say damned-near because the lume is awful. Can't read it in the dark even after being in the sun all day.
True for many a modern Rolex: glows amazingly... for like five minutes. Then nothing.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 11:22 AM   #14
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As an owner of the 36mm Silver OP, I can tell you it's damned-near perfect. It's also unique relative to the many colors offered on the OP; only one to have brown lume plots, and yellow-gold hour markers and hands. Think it could become a future classic.

Isn't the lume same on all OP's? Or do you mean that the dial colour makes it harder to read?
Old 15 January 2022, 01:30 PM   #15
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Isn't the lume same on all OP's? Or do you mean that the dial colour makes it harder to read?
It’s the same, but it’s noticeably bad on the new OP 36. For reference, my GMT MII has incredibly legible lume.

Think it has to do with the slim lume application on the OP36 (I.e. stick hands and thin indices).
Old 15 January 2022, 01:32 PM   #16
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
True for many a modern Rolex: glows amazingly... for like five minutes. Then nothing.
Very true! As noted above even dull lume on say a GMT is still able to adequately display time. On the OP36, however, if the lume isn’t fully charged then you cannot see anything in the dark.
Old 15 January 2022, 02:13 PM   #17
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

If you're planning to do a strap, I think the 34 may end up looking a little narrow. The inter-lug width is only 18mm, which looks fine with the bracelet but risks looking narrow with a strap, IMO. Plus there aren't as many good 18mm leather straps out there.
Old 16 January 2022, 12:15 AM   #18
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you're planning to do a strap, I think the 34 may end up looking a little narrow. The inter-lug width is only 18mm, which looks fine with the bracelet but risks looking narrow with a strap, IMO. Plus there aren't as many good 18mm leather straps out there.
Are you sure that it’s only 18mm? I’m pretty sure I read that the OP34 has a lug width of 19mm (which if I remember correctly, is the same width as the Explorer 36), which there are a bunch of straps for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc10ken View Post
Feel like if you want a vintage DJ look then just get the vintage DJ, plenty of them out there. My AD let me try on the OP41 green and its not like the color on the stock photo, it's more of an emerald green. Would go great with straps too, you'd be making the wrong choice with silver over it.
As I said in the exact comment you quoted, I’m not looking for a real vintage OP, but I do like the look of one. The new silver OP reminds of a vintage one, but still is a new model. The green one looks great, I agree. Don’t think it’s versatile enough, compared to the silver. I’ll take pics next time I try them on.
Old 16 January 2022, 12:44 AM   #19
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Very true! As noted above even dull lume on say a GMT is still able to adequately display time. On the OP36, however, if the lume isn’t fully charged then you cannot see anything in the dark.
What generation GMT do you have? I know the type of lume changed not too long ago, which may also have something to do with it. Illumination aside, the light lume has a much stronger contrast with a black GMT dial than a silver OP one.
Old 16 January 2022, 12:48 AM   #20
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Are you sure that it’s only 18mm? I’m pretty sure I read that the OP34 has a lug width of 19mm (which if I remember correctly, is the same width as the Explorer 36), which there are a bunch of straps for.

As I said in the exact comment you quoted, I’m not looking for a real vintage OP, but I do like the look of one. The new silver OP reminds of a vintage one, but still is a new model. The green one looks great, I agree. Don’t think it’s versatile enough, compared to the silver. I’ll take pics next time I try them on.
The prior OP, 114200, had a 19mm width. Current has 18, tapering to 14 (which is the same end width as the new Explorer).

Another option you may have, which I don't know if I mentioned before, would be the 115200. Unless you are anti-date, that is. It's the 34mm OP Date, based on the last generation OP34, and they were still shipping as of the end of last year. Some dealers might still have one, though I don't know if silver was an option. White was, and it looked good. I preferred no date, and didn't like the PCL, but could look really good on leather.
Old 16 January 2022, 04:29 AM   #21
Kevin of Larchmont
Banned

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I love green but the silver is the true strap monster. Also get the 36mm, your wrists can handle it. I lived eighteen years with a 34mm Oyster Date on a 6.75mm wrist, 36mm is much better.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 10:53 AM   #22
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The prior OP, 114200, had a 19mm width. Current has 18, tapering to 14 (which is the same end width as the new Explorer).

Another option you may have, which I don't know if I mentioned before, would be the 115200. Unless you are anti-date, that is. It's the 34mm OP Date, based on the last generation OP34, and they were still shipping as of the end of last year. Some dealers might still have one, though I don't know if silver was an option. White was, and it looked good. I preferred no date, and didn't like the PCL, but could look really good on leather.
What's the lug width and taper on the 36mm? I'll most probably go custom made for all my straps, as I still need shorter straps. Or do you think that it'll look bad with a strap with that taper?

I guess the OP36 has the same lug width as the current DJ36? I have a DJ36, so I guess one plus would be that I could use the straps with the DJ too. The DJ36 fits fine, but wouldn't hurt if it would be a tad bit smaller. The lugs are just at the ends of my wrist. Don't know if leather works as well as a bracelet when the watch is just at the edge, or if it needs the watch a bit smaller and more centered on the wrist?

Regarding the Oyster Date - no thanks. I don't want any PCLs nor a date complication. My DJ already fills that hole.

EDIT: Does the taper really matter when choosing a strap? I won't be using the clasp from bracelet. Or does Rolex's own tang buckles (which I'll use with the straps) require a certain measurement/taper at that end?
Old 16 January 2022, 11:21 AM   #23
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Hard to beat time-only and yellow gold on leather for a dress watch. Because it's slim and mostly polished case and bezel it would look dressy.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 08:28 PM   #24
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Putting Walmart tires on a Mercedes?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 10:30 PM   #25
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
Putting Walmart tires on a Mercedes?
Not really but I just don't get the snobbishness. I'm not certain if the Michelins from Walmart are any worse than them from a Mercedes dealer?

I tried a rubber strap which was supposed to fit my OP and never got it on the watch as the fit just wasn't right. Truthfully it was supposed to be for a DJ41 and was supposed to fit the OP but the hole placing just didn't work.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 12:21 AM   #26
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
What's the lug width and taper on the 36mm? I'll most probably go custom made for all my straps, as I still need shorter straps. Or do you think that it'll look bad with a strap with that taper?

I guess the OP36 has the same lug width as the current DJ36? I have a DJ36, so I guess one plus would be that I could use the straps with the DJ too. The DJ36 fits fine, but wouldn't hurt if it would be a tad bit smaller. The lugs are just at the ends of my wrist. Don't know if leather works as well as a bracelet when the watch is just at the edge, or if it needs the watch a bit smaller and more centered on the wrist?

Regarding the Oyster Date - no thanks. I don't want any PCLs nor a date complication. My DJ already fills that hole.

EDIT: Does the taper really matter when choosing a strap? I won't be using the clasp from bracelet. Or does Rolex's own tang buckles (which I'll use with the straps) require a certain measurement/taper at that end?
Didn't realize you had the DJ, also already.

All 36mm Rolexes are 20mm lug-to-lug (except Explorer, that's 19). I believe the OP tapers to 16 at the removable links, but not 100% sure. However for your purposes, your taper will be determined by the size(s) of the Rolex pin buckles available.
Old 17 January 2022, 12:47 AM   #27
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Not really but I just don't get the snobbishness. I'm not certain if the Michelins from Walmart are any worse than them from a Mercedes dealer?
I agree 100%.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 11:04 AM   #28
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Didn't realize you had the DJ, also already.

All 36mm Rolexes are 20mm lug-to-lug (except Explorer, that's 19). I believe the OP tapers to 16 at the removable links, but not 100% sure. However for your purposes, your taper will be determined by the size(s) of the Rolex pin buckles available.
I asked around and got informed that steel buckles from Rolex are only available in 16mm width. So no matter if I go with with the OP36 or OP34 the strap will need to taper down to 16mm (that is if I only want to go with Rolex’s own tang buckles).

If I’d go with OP36, wouldn’t a taper from 20mm down to 16mm be too much? For the OP34, that’d be only a 2mm difference. I’m not really into all these specifics yet (still learning), so don’t know how much of a taper is too much or not.

Also, as I have inquired earlier - my DJ36 sits just at the edges of my wrist (I’ll post a couple of pics), so the OP36 will fit that way too I guess. The OP34 will sit more centered and you’ll see the links grabbing onto my wrists. Does the fit matter in that case, if I’m going to wear it primarily with a strap (e.g. if the strap will bulge out of the watch is just at the sides of my wrist).

Here’s my DJ36 (latest model):

Sorry if I complicate it too much, just want to be sure before proceeding with the purchase.
Old 17 January 2022, 11:35 AM   #29
Bestdj777
"TRF" Member

To the extent it is helpful, here is my 34mm watch on both a leather strap and a “jubilee” bracelet. It was on the leather strap when I bought it and was very comfortable, but I was concerned about ruining the band all the time (I’ve got two young kids so constantly washing/cleaning stuff) and it never got any wrist time. Recently switched it out for the bracelet ($15.00 on Amazon and it isn’t what it is).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A0609C50-E8B6-429F-B628-79CFF3BDD2B7.jpeg (56.3 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpeg 19C2F4C1-E579-4B28-B093-BB708FF5C10E.jpeg (87.9 KB, 256 views)
Bestdj777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 12:12 PM   #30
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
The watch doesn’t make the bracelet, the bracelet makes the watch. At least IMO.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote