The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 January 2022, 02:07 PM   #1
Bombela
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Icon5 Purchasing from an AD

Hello everyone,

I've heard people of people being able to purchase watches directly from AD's, what that process look like? Do I have to go to the store and express my interest in a specific model or can I give them a call? I'm just trying to understand what's the best way to go about it. I've never purchased one from an AD.

Thanks!
Bombela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 02:11 PM   #2
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Welcome, someone more eloquent then I shall chime in. Stay tuned.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 02:12 PM   #3
krchrist
"TRF" Member

Watch: tbd
what do you want?
krchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 02:13 PM   #4
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Times have changed. You’re not going to get anywhere with a phone call in 2022, although that’s how I bought my first from an AD in 2015. I happened to be visiting Portland, OR and called Ben Bridge. They had a BLNR in stock. I wired them the money and picked it up first thing upon arrival. No purchase history.

Nowadays you need to show up regularly, maybe once a month, express genuine interest, and pray. Depending on the reference, you might get lucky and get something without purchase history. Then again, you might not. Depends on the reference and market you’re in.

If there was a secret recipe we could share with you, we wouldn’t. Otherwise we’d all be doing it already.
Old 22 January 2022, 02:23 PM   #5
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
The process is luck but lightening can strike. Don’t invest too much, just wait and hope. It does happen. Trust me.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 02:28 PM   #6
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
The same thing as applying for a job, or asking a girl out on a date, all about coming across as genuine and sincere. Go in ask to speak to the manager, tell him or her, this is your first time in, looking to start building a Rolex collection. These are the watches I wish to purchase over this amount of time. Be honest and be yourself, put across the fact you are not a flipper only looking to build your personal collection. Then get creative and stand out from the other buyers waiting for watches. Why go through the trouble, you hope to gain thousands of dollars in market value over MSRP. You will gain back about as much as you can put into it. If you have the talent of winning friends and influencing people, you are more than halfway there. The other option is going grey, paying market value and getting any watch you want in 24 hours via FedEx. Choice is a wonderful thing, deep pockets also help. Good luck, keep us posted, and looking forward to seeing your incoming pics!!!
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 02:36 PM   #7
insight
Banned

I think the best is to check online,make sure you make up your mind for the type of watch you want before going to the store because if your mind is not made up and you go into the store trust me you will be confused as to which watch you would want to get,you know why? because there are a lot of bad ass watches out there man.
insight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 02:37 PM   #8
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

I think money talks. Sales associates are sick and tired of people walking in, doing all the small chat. If a SA gives you a Rolex without spend history means they lose the opportunity to make more sales, which means lower bonus, less job security, etc. Just doesn’t make business sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 09:11 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombela View Post
Hello everyone,

I've heard people of people being able to purchase watches directly from AD's, what that process look like? Do I have to go to the store and express my interest in a specific model or can I give them a call? I'm just trying to understand what's the best way to go about it. I've never purchased one from an AD.

Thanks!
All ADs are just retail stores that sells watches nothing more, and like any other retail store just visit one go in and ask nothing more simple.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 09:49 PM   #10
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I buy white goods on the phone or online. For a Rolex (among other luxury things), I would go in for a chat, make my wants known and see what they say. Who knows what I might walk out with - Rolex or otherwise?

You can try phoning. I suspect you will end up visiting.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 10:25 PM   #11
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
OP, there are plenty of videos on line and plenty of threads on the topic here and on other chat groups. Do your research and pack your patience. Best of luck!!
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 10:59 PM   #12
Hpozzuoli
Banned

Watch: Rolex
I think people confuse rare with affordable.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 11:07 PM   #13
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Go in the store. Explain your interest and why. It'll be a long shot if you're a first time buyer but it can happen.
My brother recently walked into an AD with zero purchase history and expressed his interest in the new 36mm Explorer. He got the call 2-3 weeks later.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 11:10 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome. Use the search engine here on TRF and YouTube and you will get the general feel of the market and what you are up against. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 11:11 PM   #15
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
It also depends where you are located. There is no way in big cities like NYC or LA that you would be able to purchase from the AD with any history. I wouldn’t waste the time and just go grey if you really want a piece. Otherwise, look towards other brands.
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 11:14 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Go in the store. Explain your interest and why. It'll be a long shot if you're a first time buyer but it can happen.
My brother recently walked into an AD with zero purchase history and expressed his interest in the new 36mm Explorer. He got the call 2-3 weeks later.
Congratulations to him Travis

OP first, welcome to the forum. This little story above ^^^ should give you some hope. Just be genuine, be yourself and strike up a conversation with an approachable sales associate. Stay in touch, and good things will happen.

Best of luck
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2022, 11:57 PM   #17
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I've had the best luck by just being myself. I consider a watch purchase to be purely transactional - I'm willing to spend up to MSRP, dealer either has product or they don't. (And I realize these days they're all in the safe.)

- Visit the AD occasionally
- Be courteous, inquire about the models you want
- Leave without buying anything you didn't want (eg. a TAG, Breitling, jewelry)

I don't think this "relationship" needs to be anything complicated. Certainly the big spenders will always be at the top of the list but that's how life works in all areas. I can't drop 50k on other stuff just so I can get the 10k model I really want. I'll either wait or live without it.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 12:07 AM   #18
Feb_29
"TRF" Member

Nowadays ADs are very cautious selling Rolex watches to strangers due to flipping issues.
Around my aria several stores lost they licenses do to Rolex watches end up in GM. My AD selling watches only to very well established customers. So, if you walk in the store and nobody knows you, it's very slim chance that you'll get Rolex watch. But you may get lucky, worth trying.
Feb_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 12:14 AM   #19
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
It's incredible the market has deteriorated so many that people are actually asking how to buy from an AD. I do not buy the demand is off the wall strong notion touted everywhere. There is no reason people cannot buy a 31or 36 mm TT DJ within a reasonable timeframe. The hype is over certain sports models and that is it. It wasn't that long ago when some posters here referred to non-sports Rolex models in less than positive terms when they went into ADs and that was all that was in the cases.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 12:17 AM   #20
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Posts 2 through 18 - played
Old 23 January 2022, 12:20 AM   #21
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Purchasing from an AD

I can simplify this for you and I promise this method will work….

Spend money.

You can get on the famous wait list if you don’t want to spend money and get lucky. May take a few years but it happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 01:09 AM   #22
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
It's incredible the market has deteriorated so many that people are actually asking how to buy from an AD.
This is the first such post that I have seen.
Old 23 January 2022, 01:44 AM   #23
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Some good responses here already.

For sure you have to go in and will probably have to do that 3 times at least until their little visit note card fills up and the SA finally mentions you at a sales meeting.

Money spent alone isn't enough. Quite simply it's a combination of that and how much they like you. Nowadays working directly with a manager is your best bet if possible. The individual SAs lobby management themselves to get a turn to sell a certain watch to a certain client.

The product sells itself and they can use each steel piece to leverage additional sales. The "formula" for who gets what can range from dumb luck on certain pieces to formulaic for others. On the impossible to obtain items like Daytona it's closer to how much they like you. I've seen them turn down multi DD40 and ladies bundle plus Daytona. They have more customers like that than Daytonas.
Old 23 January 2022, 02:17 AM   #24
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
This is the first such post that I have seen.
Maybe this direct from a brand new registrant to TRF, but there are more than PLENTY threads about maintaining/massaging AD relationships.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 02:44 AM   #25
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
OP has a Submariner. How did you buy that one?
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 05:20 AM   #26
RazorD
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t waste your time calling at first. Go in person and start the conversation. Each AD will be different as far as lists. Etc.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 05:24 AM   #27
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krchrist View Post
what do you want?
This would be helpful
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 05:31 AM   #28
waynorth
"TRF" Member

I think it depends on where you live to be honest. I walked into the only AD in Alaska a month ago looking for a Sub or an Explorer II. I had no history with them at all. A week later I picked up the Sub. The next day they called and asked if I wanted an OP. I turned it down but told them to keep me on the list for the Explorer.
waynorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 05:34 AM   #29
krubs
"TRF" Member

Would it be realistic to get a blue dial YM 40 with no purchase history?
krubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2022, 05:51 AM   #30
noshame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Times have changed. You’re not going to get anywhere with a phone call in 2022, although that’s how I bought my first from an AD in 2015. I happened to be visiting Portland, OR and called Ben Bridge. They had a BLNR in stock. I wired them the money and picked it up first thing upon arrival. No purchase history.

Nowadays you need to show up regularly, maybe once a month, express genuine interest, and pray. Depending on the reference, you might get lucky and get something without purchase history. Then again, you might not. Depends on the reference and market you’re in.

If there was a secret recipe we could share with you, we wouldn’t. Otherwise we’d all be doing it already.
This. Good luck, OP.