The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 February 2022, 02:18 AM   #1
expy2
"TRF" Member

Polishing... Before and after.

I know there is an anti-polishing sentiment out there at the moment, however, I would love to see some before and after RSC service/polish pictures.
I'm not really for or against. I understand both 'camps' (but probably for different reasons).
I know there are exceptions to the rule, but do these watches come back from RSC like new, ie unable to tell it's been polished?

Again, I am not in any camp I'm simply curious.
expy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 03:24 AM   #2
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

Try google. You will get a better idea there than some random guy writing a few sentences.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygKegUIARD-AQ

Old 9 February 2022, 03:26 AM   #3
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

There are other stuff in youtube..

Old 9 February 2022, 03:48 AM   #4
expy2
"TRF" Member

Yeah, appreciate that, but I was hoping for more of a discussion/information on peoples' experiences...
Old 9 February 2022, 04:36 AM   #5
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by expy2 View Post
Yeah, appreciate that, but I was hoping for more of a discussion/information on peoples' experiences...
Each RSC polishes the watch differently but it all depends on the original condition of your watch. If you used it to play beach volleyball for the past 20 years every weekend then the RSC will polish the hell out of it. But if you used in only on your second wife's wedding anniversary, then the RSC will leave it practically untouched. If your RSC sends the watch to Geneva, then the polish is different there too. And YES, you can tell that the RSC polished it, and yes the scratches will be removed. I always tell the RSC not to refinish or polish the watch.

Old 9 February 2022, 05:02 AM   #6
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Leave it scratchy
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 06:29 AM   #7
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
If you're planning on keeping the watch and wear it for a long time, what's the point in polishing it? It's going to get scratches anyway.

If you're a careful wearer, it will just develop hair-line scratches and maybe some deeper ones on the clasp.

My 2008 Submariner date has a lovely hair line patina (no dents) and I absolutely love it's neo-vintage look.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 06:30 AM   #8
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t trust RSC with a polish. I’d go to LAWW or another known trusted polisher.
Old 9 February 2022, 06:59 AM   #9
expy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetracer View Post
If you're planning on keeping the watch and wear it for a long time, what's the point in polishing it? It's going to get scratches anyway.

If you're a careful wearer, it will just develop hair-line scratches and maybe some deeper ones on the clasp.

My 2008 Submariner date has a lovely hair line patina (no dents) and I absolutely love it's neo-vintage look.
Hard to argue with this.
Old 9 February 2022, 07:02 AM   #10
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
You can’t undo a bad polish. I’ve read way too many stories on here about bad polishing jobs and some were from Rolex. In both of my times sending a watch to RSC, I specified not to polish the watch or bracelet. If a Rolex has its original finish, no matter how old or used, it looks better than a bad polish job.
So, wear and enjoy the watch. I’ve found that the more worn out a watch is, the more likely I am to wear it, and that’s what they are for.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 12:40 PM   #11
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I am not an expert on this and I can only speak to my experiences, but I do own a polished watch. My Sub had a full cosmetic restoration from LAWW before I bought it and I am pretty sure it got some laser welding done to it. With the exception of a scratch on the ceramic bezel and on the sapphire, IMHO it looked pretty close to a new watch (a year later it obviously has some marks on it). Holding it next to a factory new Explorer, the brushed finishes looked nearly identical. Further, the angles are all still sharp, and the reflection in the polished areas are true (where as poorly polished watches sometimes have rounded angles and wavy reflections).

I am all for cosmetically refinishing watches, but I agree with those that note that it is REALLY dependent on who is doing the work, and a really poor polishing job isn't something you can just press CTRL+Z on.

Here are some pics showing some close up areas. I was (and am) happy with it. YMMV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (161.4 KB, 1464 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (178.9 KB, 1459 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (86.2 KB, 1449 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (79.1 KB, 1448 views)
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 01:06 PM   #12
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetracer View Post

Same reason I would do a paint correction polish on my car after a few years.
Old 9 February 2022, 01:24 PM   #13
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know there is an anti-polishing sentiment out there at the moment, however, I would love to see some before and after RSC service/polish pictures.
I'm not really for or against. I understand both 'camps' (but probably for different reasons).
I know there are exceptions to the rule, but do these watches come back from RSC like new, ie unable to tell it's been polished?

Here's my 116300 Datejust II for reference. I wore it daily for about 8 years and I did not take good care of it at all. At the 9th year I sent it to RSC Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

It took them 6 weeks and when it came back on first glance it looked practically brand new. I could not believe it, because I remember there was a really bad ding on the bezel and it's gone. I was very satisfied with the result and would send all my other watches to RSC in the future.

I can still tell it's used though, I just didn't know they could restore the watch to this level of condition because I really abused the watch...

BEFORE:

AFTER:

TODAY (one year after polish):
Old 10 February 2022, 12:50 AM   #14
expy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gab27 View Post
I am not an expert on this and I can only speak to my experiences, but I do own a polished watch. My Sub had a full cosmetic restoration from LAWW before I bought it and I am pretty sure it got some laser welding done to it. With the exception of a scratch on the ceramic bezel and on the sapphire, IMHO it looked pretty close to a new watch (a year later it obviously has some marks on it). Holding it next to a factory new Explorer, the brushed finishes looked nearly identical. Further, the angles are all still sharp, and the reflection in the polished areas are true (where as poorly polished watches sometimes have rounded angles and wavy reflections).

I am all for cosmetically refinishing watches, but I agree with those that note that it is REALLY dependent on who is doing the work, and a really poor polishing job isn't something you can just press CTRL+Z on.

Here are some pics showing some close up areas. I was (and am) happy with it. YMMV.
Very nice.
Old 10 February 2022, 12:54 AM   #15
expy2
"TRF" Member

Iamjacky, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, enjoyed those pictures and love this watch!!
Old 10 February 2022, 04:45 AM   #16
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJacky View Post
Here's my 116300 Datejust II for reference. I wore it daily for about 8 years and I did not take good care of it at all. At the 9th year I sent it to RSC Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

It took them 6 weeks and when it came back on first glance it looked practically brand new. I could not believe it, because I remember there was a really bad ding on the bezel and it's gone. I was very satisfied with the result and would send all my other watches to RSC in the future.

I can still tell it's used though, I just didn't know they could restore the watch to this level of condition because I really abused the watch...

BEFORE:

AFTER:

TODAY (one year after polish):
I remember you had posted your experience before in one of these types of threads. It is absolutely stunning how beautiful your watch looks after it was refinished. This is a perfect example of before and after. I would also do this with my own at service. Nice watch!
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 05:21 AM   #17
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
No pics to share, as I don't have a before and after, but when I first got my pre-owned 16710 in 2010, one of the first things I did was get it polished. When it comes to scratches, my thoughts are that you should do what makes you happy.

I don't baby my watches but I do wear them with care (e.g. I take them to the beach but I'm not slamming my wrists on the asphalt changing tires / working on engines); they're going to get scratched here and there, so you live with it.

Now, if there's a gigantic gash that makes me cringe every time I look at it or it's beat to death like the DJ above (no offense!), then I'm definitely getting it polished. It just wouldn't make me happy to see it in that condition each time I strapped it on.

If you're buying these things for resale, then don't polish. Again, that's not generally my stance but as I said above - do what makes you happy!
Old 10 February 2022, 05:45 AM   #18
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Their maxi case or modern watch polishing, is solid. It would be hard to cut a maxi case and make it look super thin. I had them polish a 16570, and they absolutely hammered it. Even after I said no polish. So modern, yes. Neo vintage or vintage, I personally would never let them touch it.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 06:29 AM   #19
expy2
"TRF" Member

Yeah, was thinking with the much 'squarer' cases it must be an easier job to polish.
Old 10 February 2022, 07:17 AM   #20
JSol1
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I found this forum when I was searching for whether or not to have my watch polished when sending it in to the RSC for service after 18 years of daily wear. I was mostly sending it in to replace the gaskets since I used it often in salt water. I really had no idea of the differin opinion on this topic until I began going through all the threads.
In the end I had them polish it with the service. No regrets as it was like buying the watch all over again. It will slowly get scratched up again and I will do the same in another decade with my other watches. Personal preference…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 123AB28E-2303-4B29-99F7-7B562F7E6D45.jpeg (71.4 KB, 936 views)
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 07:41 AM   #21
Cstyles
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't worry too much - if you want a watch that looks close to new, go for it. Worst case scenario, the master craftsmen at Rolliworks or similar reputable business can undo literally anything that might happen to your watch whether it be a bad polish, or worse (much worse!).

Here's my 1992 16710 Pepsi that Rolliworks restored for me a couple years ago. I now operate on the assumption that I can do whatever the heck I want with my watches, there's nothing that can't be undone with modern technology and a skilled craftsman behind the equipment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200318_205224 (1).jpg (102.8 KB, 936 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200319_105506 (1).jpg (140.6 KB, 930 views)
Cstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 08:16 AM   #22
expy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstyles View Post
I wouldn't worry too much - if you want a watch that looks close to new, go for it. Worst case scenario, the master craftsmen at Rolliworks or similar reputable business can undo literally anything that might happen to your watch whether it be a bad polish, or worse (much worse!).

Here's my 1992 16710 Pepsi that Rolliworks restored for me a couple years ago. I now operate on the assumption that I can do whatever the heck I want with my watches, there's nothing that can't be undone with modern technology and a skilled craftsman behind the equipment.
Now that is impressive! It is somewhat comforting to know there are people out there that can do this kind of work. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10 February 2022, 11:41 AM   #23
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Very nice.
Thanks!
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 11:50 AM   #24
roadie1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Divers, GMT
Quote:

Very nice!
roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 12:01 PM   #25
Cstyles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now that is impressive! It is somewhat comforting to know there are people out there that can do this kind of work. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome. You know what the cost was for that complete restoration back to original Rolex specifications? $700. Maybe it's gone up a few bucks throughout Covid. That's probably the best bang for the buck $700 I've spent in the past 2 years, and would do it over again even if it was double the price.

If you like the look of a minty new watch, I say go for an RSC polish if just normal scratches or send to a proper restoration shop if there's chunks of metal missing (or if RSC lets the apprentice polish your watch). I never got the appeal of beat up old watches left in beat up old condition. Much like classic cars, they're better off restored to their original glory IMO!

Beware 'NOS' and 'never polished, mint condition' watch sales

When I acquired it vs now:

IMG_20200203_123058.jpg

Photo Resizer 2022_02_09_09_08_12.jpg
Cstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 12:14 PM   #26
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
I remember you had posted your experience before in one of these types of threads. It is absolutely stunning how beautiful your watch looks after it was refinished. This is a perfect example of before and after. I would also do this with my own at service. Nice watch!
Yep I've shared numerous times, was just very impressed and satisfied with the work RSC has done, thanks for the kind words!
Old 10 February 2022, 12:38 PM   #27
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
You're welcome. You know what the cost was for that complete restoration back to original Rolex specifications? $700. Maybe it's gone up a few bucks throughout Covid. That's probably the best bang for the buck $700 I've spent in the past 2 years, and would do it over again even if it was double the price.

If you like the look of a minty new watch, I say go for an RSC polish if just normal scratches or send to a proper restoration shop if there's chunks of metal missing (or if RSC lets the apprentice polish your watch). I never got the appeal of beat up old watches left in beat up old condition. Much like classic cars, they're better off restored to their original glory IMO!

Beware 'NOS' and 'never polished, mint condition' watch sales

When I acquired it vs now:

Attachment 1272705

Attachment 1272707
I agree with you 100%. In fact I've seen amazing bevels and chamfers put back into 4 digit subs and GMTs that were trashed. The restoration work that skilled craftsmen can do with the right tools is incredible. So worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 06:50 AM   #28
Latrodectus
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
If the polishing is done right, your watch will look like new. Years ago I got my watch back and my first though was, that it was not my watch!

Member # 16057
4-Hands Club
Tosser Club Member
TRF Skypers Group
Latrodectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 06:02 PM   #29
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Quote:

amazing result!
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2022, 06:35 PM   #30
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:

It all depends upon the overall condition of the watch prior to being polished.
If there are minor swirls and a little marring on the polished surfaces and no gouges anywhere else then the prospects are excellent that it will be touched up to look exactly like new.
Any dings and gouges will skew the results in the other direction depending on severity.

In summary, it all depends
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote