The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 April 2022, 05:51 AM   #1
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Tonda PF vs new Tonda PF GMT

Had the opportunity to spend some time with both at W&W. And although I prefer the blue dial of the GMT and love the rattrapante GMT complication (and the price premium is fair imo), in the end I prefer the standard model because it is much thinner. It wasn’t an easy one, and I can fully understand those who go for the sportier look of the GMT. The Tonda PF wears more like the 15202 or the 5711 and the GMT more like the LF Sport Auto or the 15500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GeraldGentaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 05:52 AM   #2
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

The ideal version for me would be the Tonda PF with the blue dial and without a date.
Old 11 April 2022, 05:57 AM   #3
rag5178
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing this. I’m really torn between the two. I think the GMT Rattrapante is pretty brilliant and I enjoy the blue, but the added thickness makes it a tough call.
rag5178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 06:20 AM   #4
dchang81
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Appreciate the comparison. Sometimes I do like a little bit of thickness but that's a pretty big difference
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 06:49 AM   #5
ap1

What did you think of the skelly
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 07:05 AM   #6
GeraldGentaFan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
What did you think of the skelly
8.5mm is a lot better than the 10.7mm of the GMT, so if you like the look of the skeleton, I think it is a very nice watch. I prefer the simple elegance of the standard version. I think skeleton is very AP/RM and not really the style of PF.
Old 11 April 2022, 09:57 AM   #7
LVx2
Banned

Interesting comparison.

Based on that one picture the 42mm annual calendar wears its 11.1mm a lot better.

Often broadening a case and bracelet lug width can achieve a slimmer look and better fit as case thickness increases.

I'm between the two hander and the annual right now. Love the grey tone dial in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9D9A12B2-4D3B-4AF4-B59A-2659DFEA643D.jpeg (86.9 KB, 562 views)
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 11:27 AM   #8
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I like to have a date on a GMT because when filling up immigration form in the plane, it is much easier to refer to the watch for the date.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2022, 02:58 PM   #9
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
I like them both quite a bit. But the comparison, for me, is a bit apples to oranges just based on on-wrist aesthetics. The PF GMT is every bit a sports watch, to be sure. But the PF Micro rotor feels like a dress watch given its open dial, slim profile, non-lumed indicia, and design of its label/crest rather than script... To my eye, it's not all that "sporty" despite it having an outwardly flared bracelet that simulates an integrated-bracelet look.

I might characterize it a modern dress watch before I'd call it a sports watch, just based on its appearance on the wrist. But that's just my take, not meant as a criticism at all; just very different watches in my eyes.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 10:39 AM   #10
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Blue dial on the GMT looks really nice, kinda surprised they don't offer it on the standard model.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 10:55 AM   #11
rag5178
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
I like them both quite a bit. But the comparison, for me, is a bit apples to oranges just based on on-wrist aesthetics. The PF GMT is every bit a sports watch, to be sure. But the PF Micro rotor feels like a dress watch given its open dial, slim profile, non-lumed indicia, and design of its label/crest rather than script... To my eye, it's not all that "sporty" despite it having an outwardly flared bracelet that simulates an integrated-bracelet look.

I might characterize it a modern dress watch before I'd call it a sports watch, just based on its appearance on the wrist. But that's just my take, not meant as a criticism at all; just very different watches in my eyes.
If you find the PF Micro rotor to feel like a dress watch, I'm not quite sure I understand why you wouldn't feel similarly about the GMT. The reasons you listed for why the PF Micro rotor feels like a dress watch apply to the GMT too, no? Open dial, slim profile (though not as slim as the Micro Rotor), non-lumed indicia, design of label/crest all are true of the GMT as well.
Old 12 April 2022, 02:33 PM   #12
GB-man

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
Blue dial on the GMT looks really nice, kinda surprised they don't offer it on the standard model.

As an owner of the grey dial I’m happy they didn’t. Restraint seems to be an important aspect of the brand and while I appreciate the joy some collectors get from brands releasing dials non stop I personally like that they are, for now, avoiding that here.

I fully expect another dial to come but would hope it doesn’t become a skittles assortment.
Old 12 April 2022, 03:49 PM   #13
flyguy33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
As an owner of the grey dial I’m happy they didn’t. Restraint seems to be an important aspect of the brand and while I appreciate the joy some collectors get from brands releasing dials non stop I personally like that they are, for now, avoiding that here.

I fully expect another dial to come but would hope it doesn’t become a skittles assortment.
If you listen to Guido Terrini talk about his vision for the brand and this line that isn’t going to be an issue. I loved how they built upon the foundation they established last year at this year’s W&W and can’t wait to see what they have in store for the future. Regardless of what comes, I expect it to compliment my PF Micro-rotor… mostly because Guido established from day one that is going to be their philosophy.
flyguy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2022, 03:53 PM   #14
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Tonda PF vs new Tonda PF GMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag5178 View Post
If you find the PF Micro rotor to feel like a dress watch, I'm not quite sure I understand why you wouldn't feel similarly about the GMT. The reasons you listed for why the PF Micro rotor feels like a dress watch apply to the GMT too, no? Open dial, slim profile (though not as slim as the Micro Rotor), non-lumed indicia, design of label/crest all are true of the GMT as well.
Note: edited (realized I was referring to the other GMT with big date app….)

Nevertheless, The new GMT is still more substantial on the wrist. The micro rotor is noticeably thinner and feels more dainty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 April 2022, 06:14 AM   #15
rag5178
"TRF" Member

Has anyone looked to order the PF Micro Rotor recently? I've been quoted an 18 month wait by one AD and another AD told me they aren't taking orders right now. I didn't realize this had gotten so difficult to get.
Old 19 April 2022, 06:25 AM   #16
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldGentaFan View Post
Had the opportunity to spend some time with both at W&W. And although I prefer the blue dial of the GMT and love the rattrapante GMT complication (and the price premium is fair imo), in the end I prefer the standard model because it is much thinner. It wasn’t an easy one, and I can fully understand those who go for the sportier look of the GMT. The Tonda PF wears more like the 15202 or the 5711 and the GMT more like the LF Sport Auto or the 15500.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you tried on the Tonda GT (42mm)? I had a chance to try on the other day but the PF wasn’t available. Was wondering how they compared fit/feel on the wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2022, 01:08 AM   #17
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Have you tried on the Tonda GT (42mm)? I had a chance to try on the other day but the PF wasn’t available. Was wondering how they compared fit/feel on the wrist

If you're asking for personal opinions, this is mine: One feels like a sport watch and the other feels like a dress watch. The PF is a stunner in pics and great on the wrist, but looks too delicate to my eye for causal wear. I love it, but would rarely wear it. The GT is a killer everyday, dress up or down piece... and until recently super undervalued. That's starting to change.
Old 22 April 2022, 01:10 AM   #18
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
If you're asking for personal opinions, this is mine: One feels like a sport watch and the other feels like a dress watch. The PF is a stunner in pics and great on the wrist, but looks too delicate to my eye for causal wear. I love it, but would rarely wear it. The GT is a killer everyday, dress up or down piece... and until recently super undervalued. That's starting to change.

Thanks! Appreciate your opinion! It fits well but would have fit better if 2mm smaller… also the movement from the PF seems nicer than the GT.

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2022, 12:37 PM   #19
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

Love a GMT complication but in this case I also need a date on my watch.
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 03:42 PM   #20
phiberoptiks
"TRF" Member

Anyone see the gmt in person yet?
phiberoptiks is offline   Reply With Quote