The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 September 2006, 02:55 AM   #1
frank bullit
Banned

"Is that real, mate?"

Good afternoon chaps & chapesses!
My eyesight isn't brilliant these days (30 years of technical illustration has taken it's toll) so when a new lad turned up in the office today sporting what appeared to be a WG or Platinum DD. The old antennae twiched slightly. A 20 year old wearing a £25,000 watch, boy, that's some graduation gift!
My eyes being slightly dodgy I knew I had to ask 'The Question'.

What IS the best way to ask without offending the wearer?
I know I always 'bristle' a bit when I'm asked.

So, I said, "somebody loves you, can I have a look?"
As soon as I heard the cheap rustle of the bracelet I knew.
It was as light as a feather and had a see-through back showing a quartz movement! Visually it was quite good, and the young lad, bless him, said "My Dad brought it back from Dubai for me, I don't know if it's real."
"Very nice" I said, "He's a good Dad."
That's when he said it, "Is THAT real, mate?"

What do YOU say when asked, and how do you ask 'The Question'
Regards. FB.

ps. Titanium Rolex! What a daft idea, whoever thought that one up?
frank bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 02:58 AM   #2
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
I never ask the question to avoid embarrassment, and when asked I say that the only thing on me that's fake is an air of civility.
Old 14 September 2006, 03:05 AM   #3
frank bullit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
I never ask the question to avoid embarrassment, and when asked I say that the only thing on me that's fake is an air of civility.
That's a good'un'!!
Old 14 September 2006, 03:47 AM   #4
TNRonin

Watch: 2000 SD
I sure hope his father didn't think it was real. On another forum (USN) a guy brought a Rollie on and to his dismay discovered that his wife had bought him a fake watch. What a bummer.
TNRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 03:59 AM   #5
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
I am a believer in "if they ask, tell them the truth"
If on the otherhand, you just notice it is a fake & they don't ask. Then nothing needs to be said.
If he did ask, point out that you suspect it might not be the real deal.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 04:07 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
I am a believer in "if they ask, tell them the truth"
If on the otherhand, you just notice it is a fake & they don't ask. Then nothing needs to be said.
If he did ask, point out that you suspect it might not be the real deal.
I agree with John (LM). I'd politely tell him that it's an obvious fake and even give him a brief lesson on the entire history of Rolex and the entire range of Oyster Rollies available from a regular AD!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 04:13 AM   #7
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
I agree with John (LM). I'd politely tell him that it's an obvious fake and even give him a brief lesson on the entire history of Rolex and the entire range of Oyster Rollies available from a regular AD!!
And then he would politely call the police and they would politely have you taken away in a straight jacket........
Old 14 September 2006, 04:52 AM   #8
frank bullit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
I didn't have the heart to burst his 'my dad brought me a Rolex back from Dubai' bubble! Besides his dad might be a ruffty tuffty ex para' with a badge to prove it and everything!!
Old 14 September 2006, 04:54 AM   #9
madformac
"TRF" Member

If I have to ask the old question I prefer to use "Nice watch, which dealer did you get it from?"

If I get an "err" or a "oh, the local one" then thats enough for me. Usually I won't bother asking though. I always hated getting asked that question when I wore an Oyster..
madformac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 04:59 AM   #10
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
You can always say it is the best fake you have ever seen. I suppose that has a compliment in there somewhere.

I had a buddy with a government job who met a TV star. The TV star introduced himself and said (I guess to let people know what is real vs. make believ), "I'm not really an FBI Agent, I just play one on TV."

My buddy replied, "Oh. Well I am a real FBI Agent."

So you see, everyone loves the "fake" in that case.

I have a thread here about someone in my office here who has a fake one -- every day he counts how much money he has saved.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 05:27 AM   #11
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Somehow, I find this question awkward. (It would be the same if you would ask the person who just handed you his business card, “are you a real Doctor?” , or in my case Ing.). I have been asked twice: once in a club whilst I was wearing a Cartier Santos (the other person insisted it was a fake because he could not believe a 20 year old could afford a real Cartier), the second time was at my workplace with my 16610. The other person actually thought the sweeping second hand was a symptom of fakes.

Now I don’t care what other people think. Most fakes I spot stick out like a sore thumb and the owners know this and just grin from ear to ear
Old 14 September 2006, 07:11 AM   #12
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Interesting post Frank!

I find that the people I've met with fakes tend to treat it all as a bit of a joke & are more than happy to admit it. I've yet to come across someone who passes off a copy as the genuine article, and I'm not sure what I would do if I did....

A client did look at my Speedmaster & say "that's a good looking fake, you pick that up in Honkers (Hong Kong)?".
My response was "No, I bought it when I was on holiday in the states".

End of conversation
Old 14 September 2006, 11:02 AM   #13
airking

Watch: Rolex Air King
I find if I'm asked, I adjust my answer to according to the look of the person in front of me. I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but there are certain people I wouldn't want to admit it was real too in case it suddenly left my wrist by force! Ultimately it matters not to me whether somebody believes it to be real or not. I bought it for me to enjoy and be proud of and not to show off by walking into a room, arm outstretched so my watch arrives before I do (a bit like people used to with Filofaxes in the 80's ;-)
airking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 11:32 AM   #14
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

I tend to do the same thing when I am asked whether it's real or a knockoff.
Quite often, I simply make a statement.
"They make pretty good fakes now"

Member # 293
Old 14 September 2006, 11:35 AM   #15
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I wear mine for ME, not for others. If my shirt sleeve covers the watch, so be it.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 06:07 PM   #16
frank bullit
Banned

Mornin',

Interesting responses, as usual on this great site.
I put forward the original enquiry, because I suppose, in 45 years of admiring Rolex products and being lucky enough to wear one for 32 years. In all that time I had never asked anyone 'The Question'. I mentioned the fake I came across in the office because I had never seen a £25k watch 'up close' nor a fake Rolex of any kind. I've allways been aware that one can be seen as a 'show off' and that asking about somebody's fake can be interpreted as part of the 'showing off'.
I love my watch, as we all do, but untill I get asked about it I'm not sure that I'm even aware of people noticing it. I never take it off so it's part of me and am no more aware of it than say, my nose. I'd miss it if it suddenly wasn't there!! I'm sure we've all had that feeling when we've had to remove it and suddenly you feel kind of naked!
I wish the fake had been real. I've got two daughters and could've done with one snaring a rich young man for a husband!!!

Regards to all. FB.

If there is any doubt, then there is no doubt.
Old 14 September 2006, 06:09 PM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank bullit View Post
Mornin',

I put forward the original enquiry, because I suppose, in 45 years of admiring Rolex products and being lucky enough to wear one for 32 years. In all that time I had never asked anyone 'The Question'. I mentioned the fake I came across in the office because I had never seen a £25k watch 'up close' nor a fake Rolex of any kind. I've allways been aware that one can be seen as a 'show off' and that asking about somebody's fake can be interpreted as part of the 'showing off'.
I love my watch, as we all do, but untill I get asked about it I'm not sure that I'm even aware of people noticing it. I never take it off so it's part of me and am no more aware of it than say, my nose. I'd miss it if it suddenly wasn't there!! I'm sure we've all had that feeling when we've had to remove it and suddenly you feel kind of naked!
I wish the fake had been real. I've got two daughters and could've done with one snaring a rich young man for a husband!!!

Regards to all. FB.

Nice post, Frank!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 14 September 2006, 06:10 PM   #18
Otis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Mornin',

Regards to all. FB.

These daughters you speak of.....

Old 14 September 2006, 06:21 PM   #19
frank bullit
Banned

Yes?
They are intelligent, beautiful, independent, single, career minded young ladies that I love very much, especially when they help me clean my GUNS at the weekend! ....and your specific enquiry is?

Regards, The DADDY!

ps. Peace and love.... and pass the ammunition!
Old 14 September 2006, 06:24 PM   #20
Otis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes?
They are intelligent, beautiful, independent, single, career minded young ladies that I love very much, especially when they help me clean my GUNS at the weekend! ....and your specific enquiry is?

Regards, The DADDY!

That's exactly the response I would've given.
Old 15 September 2006, 12:38 AM   #21
infoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 SS DJ OYSTER
Quote:
Yes?

Regards, The DADDY!

How old are they and what night club can I find them in?

Guns don't scare me, I have an armament of my own to be proud of

No Im J/K I live thousands of miles away anyways...I see that your in England
infoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2006, 06:53 AM   #22
frank bullit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoe View Post
How old are they and what night club can I find them in?

Guns don't scare me, I have an armament of my own to be proud of

No Im J/K I live thousands of miles away anyways...I see that your in England
Hi,It's not often I resort to personal insult when somone offends me, so please 'infoe', do take this personally. We have just the right word that we use in my part of the world for exactly this situation. Wanker!

Sincere apologies to all the normal, nice human beings found everywhere else on this wonderful site. I shall, of course withdraw from all future participation .
Thanks all, it was fun while it lasted.
FB.
Old 15 September 2006, 07:01 AM   #23
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi,It's not often I resort to personal insult when somone offends me, so please 'infoe', do take this personally. We have just the right word that we use in my part of the world for exactly this situation. Wanker!

Sincere apologies to all the normal, nice human beings found everywhere else on this wonderful site. I shall, of course withdraw from all future participation .
FB.
No, we will sort this out another way. PM me with your feelings. Because the needs of the one... outweigh the needs of the many.
Old 15 September 2006, 07:40 AM   #24
infoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 SS DJ OYSTER
Hey frank...I said I was joking.
infoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2006, 01:54 PM   #25
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:

FB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infoe View Post
Hey frank...I said I was joking.
Come on, guys. Isn't this something that can be sorted out? We get along great here and losing members to something like this is just a shame.
Old 15 September 2006, 02:26 PM   #26
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Everything is OK now!
Old 15 September 2006, 05:14 PM   #27
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
Everything is OK now!
Thanks, Frans....I wouldn't like to see a member go off just like that. I'm sure infoe meant no harm was just having some fun in the spirit of this forum!!

Old 16 September 2006, 03:20 AM   #28
frank bullit
Banned

Respect

Hi Gang!
You can sound the 'all clear'! My new friend infoe and I have 'made up'.
I'm just a touchy overprotective old geezer and he's just a lad that didn't know any better. We buried him this morning! (joke!! JOKE!!)
Infoe is just 25 but man enough to apologise, and for that , much respect.
Well done mate!

I, of course humbly apologise for my unseemly outburst and graciously beg forgivness from all you lovely Rolex freaks! (Too late, I realised I should have sent my remarks by PM) I hope that in time you can accept me back into your fold, untill which time I shall remain garbed in the traditional sackcloth and lightly sprinkled with the ashes of a sacrificial Omega catalogue (c.1983).
Nil carborundum bastadum, Amen.

Regards, Frank .
Old 16 September 2006, 03:33 AM   #29
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Not a problem, Frank

Member # 293
Old 16 September 2006, 03:48 AM   #30
madformac
"TRF" Member

Glad everything is sorted out Frank. Btw, "wanker" is a term I'm particularly fond of. One of the more coulourful expressions in the English language. I find it comes in very handy when I'm driving.

Trouble with the net is its all words. No inflection or feeling can be judged. We have to guess at the sentiments and hopefully get it right. But we all either type it wrongly or get the wrong impression at times. We are all human.

I'm pleased its all sorted.

Beers all round!
madformac is offline   Reply With Quote