The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 September 2006, 01:30 PM   #1
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Back
How do you clean youre Rolex?

This is for all types of metal, SS, Yellow Gold, White gold, Platinum, SS & YG and Diamond Bezels. Ive used Steam or tooth paste for the diamonds and I steam the SS (Date Just) http://jeweljet.com/ . But I seen in Sharper imagine a Jewelry Cleaner that does watches as well as other jewelry, anyone have this or used it? Its an ultrasonic tank that cleans every jewelry even watches ($120).

What do you guys use to clean ure Rolex? I guess Im a freak when it comes to my Rolex, I clean it and the bezel evertime I go out and put it on
ROLEX4EvEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 01:40 PM   #2
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Soft soap like hand soap, an old toothbrush or the wife's and luke warm water will do the trick.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 01:45 PM   #3
infoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: '06 SS DJ OYSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX4EvEr View Post
This is for all types of metal, SS, Yellow Gold, White gold, Platinum, SS & YG and Diamond Bezels. Ive used Steam or tooth paste for the diamonds and I steam the SS (Date Just) http://jeweljet.com/ . But I seen in Sharper imagine a Jewelry Cleaner that does watches as well as other jewelry, anyone have this or used it? Its an ultrasonic tank that cleans every jewelry even watches ($120).

What do you guys use to clean ure Rolex? I guess Im a freak when it comes to my Rolex, I clean it and the bezel evertime I go out and put it on
hey man...when can we expect to see some pics of your rolex? I really want to see the datejust with the diamonds ya got on there :)
infoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 01:48 PM   #4
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Daren's spot-on. Like dentists recommend, all you need is regular brushing.

Uhh, I'd go using ultrasonic only if I wanted to destroy all the seals on the watch.
Old 14 September 2006, 01:50 PM   #5
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
Daren's spot-on. Like dentists recommend, all you need is regular brushing.

Uhh, I'd go using ultrasonic only if I wanted to destroy all the seals on the watch.
I forgot to mention, only do it over a carpet or soft towel. And NEVER and I mean NEVER do this while in the shower!! James, care to explain that one?

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 02:00 PM   #6
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Old 14 September 2006, 02:59 PM   #7
Blown Wide Open
"TRF" Member

Watch: All with a crown.
I always use Windex and a soft towel. Run the watches under warm water, spray on windex, use a soft toothbrush till a lather forms, rinse off, buff clean.

Perfect finish every time.

PAtrick

Instagram: El_Diablo_Rosso
Blown Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 04:09 PM   #8
amanda
Banned

One of the guys at work has a Tag Link or something or other, today I was showing him the bracelet on my Tudor... just showing him what happens to them when they start to wear and develop some 'stretch' he goes 'oh my TAG would never ever ever ever do that' I said, your wrong all bracelets will eventually show some signs of wear if you dont care for them... he then gets all narky and goes 'well my TAG is brilliant better than that fake wanna be used rolex thing you've got on your wrist' geeeeez relax dude!

I think he's Tag is lame and ugly heheheeh but I wont go there!!!!
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 04:09 PM   #9
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Back
I would love to show pics but i never took any of just the watch. I just tried taken a couple but with my camera Phone the watch looks blurry, same as my webcam. Soon I'll get digital pictures of mine an my Wife's.

The windex cleaning tip I heard from where I bought my wifes DJ (Chadwick's in Maui HI) he said it works excellent. Thanks guys.
ROLEX4EvEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 04:17 PM   #10
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Soft soap like hand soap, an old toothbrush or the wife's and luke warm water will do the trick.
Hi Dman, that's the best way there is. Make sure no watch, just the bracelet go into an ultra sound cleaning machine. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 04:30 PM   #11
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
One of the guys at work has a Tag Link or something or other, today I was showing him the bracelet on my Tudor... just showing him what happens to them when they start to wear and develop some 'stretch' he goes 'oh my TAG would never ever ever ever do that' I said, your wrong all bracelets will eventually show some signs of wear if you dont care for them... he then gets all narky and goes 'well my TAG is brilliant better than that fake wanna be used rolex thing you've got on your wrist' geeeeez relax dude!

I think he's Tag is lame and ugly heheheeh but I wont go there!!!!
Funny how the sound of ignorance drowns everything out, isn't it?

Never mind - in the worst case, tell him to come back the day TAG uses 904L stainless, and see the look on his face.
Old 14 September 2006, 05:04 PM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
In over a quarter of a century soap, water and a handy toothbrush have NEVER ever failed to keep all my watches in pristine condition!!

Why would anyone want to use liquids, chemicals or ultrasonic means when the high grade and superb quality 904L steel of a Rolex responds almost instantly to soap and water?

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 06:09 PM   #13
miner
"TRF" Member

Soap, water, toothbrush and the good old DeWalt DW824 for the tough bits

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 06:38 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
In over a quarter of a century soap, water and a handy toothbrush have NEVER ever failed to keep all my watches in pristine condition!!

Why would anyone want to use liquids, chemicals or ultrasonic means when the high grade and superb quality 904L steel of a Rolex responds almost instantly to soap and water?

JJ
Most of your Rolex today is made from 316L steel,and all I use is just plain soap and water.Might pinch a bit of Mrs Padi shower stuff and give it a birthday while having a shower.But plain old water and a bit of washing up liquid will be fine.This works on most precious stones and metals, and even works on dishes.Warning most accidents bumps etc happen on hard floors be extra careful in bathroom.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 07:10 PM   #15
Islander

For day-to-day "fingerprint cleaning" a chamois leather is very useful... makes a good job of it!

I learnt that 30 years ago when I worked in a camera shop during Uni - "Shammys" are extremely useful cloths all round - even useful for wrapping round any watches in storage in the "sock drawer"
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 07:24 PM   #16
mike
"TRF" Member

Another vote for plain old mild soap and water.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 08:56 PM   #17
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Warning most accidents bumps etc happen on hard floors be extra careful in bathroom.
Et tu, Brute?
Old 14 September 2006, 09:54 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
Et tu, Brute?
but not at your little mishap James.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 14 September 2006, 10:36 PM   #19
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Works for me
Old 14 September 2006, 10:44 PM   #20
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
Works for me
Moi aussi.
Old 14 September 2006, 10:52 PM   #21
DocD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner date
My friend is an optometrist and a long time ago he recommended that the best thing for cleaning glasses/lenses is a mild liquid dish detergent/soap and water. He prefers this to hand soap since it contains less cleansers and cuts oils and grease better.

He recommended simply rubbing the lenses between your fingers under the water while rubbing the liquid dish detergent on the lenses. After a good rinse and a wipe with a soft cloth the lenses are sparkling.

Therefore, I've used this same regimen on my watches and they've never looked better. Fingerprints are "oil" and the dish detergent works excellent and is mild.

Sometimes if I'm in my office and there's a large smudge on my watch I simply take a small alcohol wipe and clean off the crystal. But the simple use of liquid dish detergent, water and a soft cloth has been the best combo I've found and it work's great for glasses and high end sunglasses!
DocD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 11:01 PM   #22
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
You clean your watches?

The most I do is rub the crystal against my shirt sleeve if it looks like it's getting filmy.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 11:01 PM   #23
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
Mild soap and water once a week. I also keep a polishing cloth at home and in my desk at work to keep it free of fingerprints and smudges. I, too, like my Rolex looking its best at ALL times!
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2006, 11:56 PM   #24
jimbones43
"TRF" Member

Johnsons baby shampoo (mild soap) and....>>>>

my fingers. I don't use anything stronger that may adversely affect the seals etc. I don't use a toothbrush because believe it or not the bristles may leave microscopic hairline marks/scratches. Never put the watch into any kind of ultrasonic jewelry cleaner and I woudn't mess with Windex because of the unkown chemicals within. Papertowel dry and then finish with a dust remover/dryer such as a computer keyboard type of air cleaner. If you are bold enough to remove the bezel and bracelet you can reach more of the gunk that builds up over time. Just my 2 cents!

Jimbones43
jimbones43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2006, 02:10 AM   #25
----

Quote:

JJ
And if that regimen can clean the sheep residue off JJ's watches for the last 25 years, then it should work for most "normal" dirt and grime.
Old 15 September 2006, 02:36 AM   #26
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbones43 View Post
my fingers. I don't use anything stronger that may adversely affect the seals etc. I don't use a toothbrush because believe it or not the bristles may leave microscopic hairline marks/scratches. Never put the watch into any kind of ultrasonic jewelry cleaner and I woudn't mess with Windex because of the unkown chemicals within. Papertowel dry and then finish with a dust remover/dryer such as a computer keyboard type of air cleaner. If you are bold enough to remove the bezel and bracelet you can reach more of the gunk that builds up over time. Just my 2 cents!

Jimbones43

Well guys don't get me wrong but if my SD stood up to several years of hard salt water scuba diving.With little more that a fresh water dip,I am absolutely sure that most of your desk divers watches.Will definitely take quite a bit of a wash and brush up with soap and water.Rolex sports watches are built to be used in,on,and near,water and in no way afraid of H2O salt or fresh,or a rub against the odd tooth brush,and I can assure that S.steel is a lot tougher than your teeth..

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 September 2006, 02:52 AM   #27
madformac
"TRF" Member

I give it a quick wash over with liquid soap only. It usually gets a shower when I do and towelled dry too. Done this with all my waterproof bracelet watches over the years and they all look as clean as the day I got 'em.
madformac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2006, 04:17 AM   #28
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac View Post
I give it a quick wash over with liquid soap only. It usually gets a shower when I do and towelled dry too. Done this with all my waterproof bracelet watches over the years and they all look as clean as the day I got 'em.
I bet they come out as clean as you....every tiny little bit, uh?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 15 September 2006, 04:19 AM   #29
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
Works for me
I betcha a bar of soap lasts you much longer than most of us, uh....uh?

Old 15 September 2006, 04:22 AM   #30
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I betcha a bar of soap lasts you much longer than most of us, uh....uh?

Really, I would think you'd tear through one the fastest But, you must use turtle wax on your head instead, huh?