The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 June 2022, 07:38 AM   #1
Phrank
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
DIY Watch - Going to Build my Own Watch....

Always wanted to give this a try, to build my own watch, DIY Watch Club lets you build your own so figured always fun to try and learn something new.

Have loved watches all my life, would really enjoy being able to learn to do some basic things.

There is a page you log into with a code for your specific watch where there are video tutorials there to take you through each step of the construction.

Should be fun!

Kit just arrived today, last pic of what I hope it will look like and actually function!

Wish me luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIY_Watch.jpg (174.0 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg DIY_Watch2.jpg (159.0 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg DIY_Skeleton.jpg (133.0 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by Phrank; 11 June 2022 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: typo
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 07:45 AM   #2
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
I’ve built a few now from assorted parts on eBay using the seiko movements. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 07:49 AM   #3
Phrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerI View Post
I’ve built a few now from assorted parts on eBay using the seiko movements. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck.
Thank-you, that is exactly my interest, get a feel for doing this with a "beginner" type build, then learn to do exactly what you're doing, start putting some things together myself.

Would love to be able to tear a movement down, get it cleaned and assembled again, that's my goal.

The tools that came with this are a small step above the Amazon kits I've got, next step is probably getting some real tools...

First this watch, next, tear down my Daytona!
Old 11 June 2022, 07:53 AM   #4
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Good luck. But fair warning, it's addicting.

I've done many Seiko based builds. The sheer number of parts available make for endless combinations.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRF.JPG (265.2 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4816.JPG (228.7 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg 15th TRF.JPG (274.4 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg 2nd TRF.JPG (251.7 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg 6th TRF.JPG (270.7 KB, 237 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 07:57 AM   #5
Phrank

@Dan - wow!

Spectacular, you did those from the ground up? Bought the parts and assembled from scratch? Those are great looking...

I really like every single watch you've done...

I'm thinking it has to be extremely cool to be able to wear a watch and say you built it yourself....

I've sharpened and restored enough straight razors for a lifetime lol, time for something new!

Last edited by Phrank; 11 June 2022 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: adding
Old 11 June 2022, 08:02 AM   #6
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
@Dan - wow!

Spectacular, you did those from the ground up? Bought the parts and assembled from scratch? Those are great looking...

I'm thinking it has to be extremely cool to be able to wear a watch and say you built it yourself....

I've sharpened and restored enough straight razors for a lifetime lol, time for something new!
Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, and I have a few more I've yet to photograph. Told you it was addicting.

I do the full assemblies but I don't get into dismantling and reassembling movements. That's a step too far for me. But everything else I find doable. Maybe someday I might just give a movement a go just to see if I can do it.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 11 June 2022, 08:20 AM   #7
Phrank

Thanks for the pics Dan, if you could post more that would be great - something to aspire to!

Here are the specs of the kit I received:

Watch Case: DWC Expedition series 38mm 316L stainless steel case (Sapphire Crystal) - 10ATM
Case Back: Exhibition case back (Mineral Crystal)
Movement Holder: Movement holder for TMI NH Series
Watch Crown:
Standard expedition watch crown with logo (Stem pre-assembled for TMI NH Series)
Watch dial: DWC D02 Sapphire Luminous Dial (TMI NH Series)
Hands: Diver Hands with BGW9 Lume (TMI NH Series)
Movement: TMI NH72 (Gun Silver) by Seiko
Strap: DIY Watch Club FKM Rubber Watch Band - Black (20mm)

I'm reading that putting the hands on can be quite tough, they sent two pairs of hands in case!
Old 11 June 2022, 08:24 AM   #8
Phrank

Quote:
Love to see any pics of some builds you've done....
Old 11 June 2022, 09:17 AM   #9
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
I have read in some other groups that sometimes this little DIY hand setter can be easier to use than fancy tools. Take a ballpoint pen, remove the ink tube, and at the end of the tube is an open hole that is the perfect size for going over the canon pinion. With a soft ended tweezers you can gently hold onto each hand and carefully position it over the pinion and then use the little hole on the end of the pen tube to pop them onto the pinion.

Good luck! I have some tools and spare parts sitting here but I have been too busy to tinker with things. Looking forward to having fun with this stuff soon!

Please post pics of your finished watch once you are done! Their site looks really cool and they have some good looking projects featured there. I might have to try one of these out when I am ready to dive in. The skeleton looks really cool, as does the diver bundle kit with the red seconds hand.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 11:32 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Sweeeeet, look fwd to updates and pics of the build!

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 11:59 AM   #11
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
https://imgur.com/a/o9KOgNf

Here’s a couple. One is like a mix of an old sub/explorer original bond watch with the acrylic bubble dome.
The other is a Coca Cola bezel with an old style Tudor smiley dial.

The second hand especially is tricky. Also not cutting the stem too short. I have the hands press but I actually take the rod out of the press and just hold it by hand.

If you buy your own parts on eBay or Ali express just make sure everything is compatible with the movement and case you’ve chosen. I find the nh35 is the easiest to work with but if you want to spend more the decorated sellita movement is Swiss made and high quality for not that much money.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2022, 12:14 PM   #12
Phrank

Quote:
https://imgur.com/a/o9KOgNf

Here’s a couple. One is like a mix of an old sub/explorer original bond watch with the acrylic bubble dome.
The other is a Coca Cola bezel with an old style Tudor smiley dial.

The second hand especially is tricky. Also not cutting the stem too short. I have the hands press but I actually take the rod out of the press and just hold it by hand.

If you buy your own parts on eBay or Ali express just make sure everything is compatible with the movement and case you’ve chosen. I find the nh35 is the easiest to work with but if you want to spend more the decorated sellita movement is Swiss made and high quality for not that much money.
Those look great, very impressive, and not gonna lie, the 5513 build is exactly what I'm looking to do at one point.
Old 11 June 2022, 01:28 PM   #13
russ86
"TRF" Member

Always wanted to try that actually!
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2022, 08:37 AM   #14
csquared317
"TRF" Member

Good luck! It's super fun, I've built 2 from them and it's always a blast!

I'll try to share a photo sometime!
csquared317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2022, 09:14 AM   #15
Phrank

Well it was a fascinating experience.

I was planning on taking pics of various parts of the process, but brain was to focused, just didn't want to put everything down once I'd gotten my groove going...lol

Watching videos of watchmakers removing the crown, putting hands on, installing tiny screws with tools, dials, inserting into the case and aligning, they all have superb camera's that make all the work look so straight forward. What an eye opening experience. Even learning to properly hold the case and movement was very awkward at first.

Started with removing the temporary crown, moved on to then properly aligning and installed the sapphire dial with two pegs that looked like screws. I'll give it to DIY Club, they provide at least 6 of what you need, lots of spares. I only dropped and lost one, but using the loupe, tweezers and the tools they provided, installed the dial.

The hands I was prepared to be extremely patient. You have to set the hands on the post, and use the proper tool to seat them firmly properly and level. They were a real challenge, the hour hand was relatively easy, I got lucky, minute hand took a lot of finesse, had to use the wooden stick as well as plastic bag to raise the minute hand up so it was parallel. They also send two sets of hands, thinking you'll probably blow one set up.

The second hand was a nightmare I was prepared for - worked very slowly and carefully, took me about 45 minutes just for that hand. Had to make sure it was parallel, and after the minute hand installation, I would rotate the hands around to make sure the hands weren't hitting each other. At this point, the temporary crown was installed again.

For the second hand, it was a shout of "Victory!" when they were all aligned and moving correctly.

Setting the watch into the movement holder, chapter ring, was also fun, as I KNOCKED THE FERKIN SECOND OFF and had to do it again!! lol

Once everything was ready - I spent a good 30 minutes with the air blower and Rodico putty to make sure the case and crystals were absolutely spotless.

Got everything into the case, put the caseback on gently to ensure that the movement holder was in correctly, removed again to check - and finished the assembly.

All in about 3 hours, and was a total blast.

I'm going to order some cheap Miyota and Seiko movements to practice hand installation and just handling the movement.

Big lesson for me is watching a YouTuber do this, with all the camera's, personal expertise, made it seem like it would just be a straight forward, "slap it together". There was a lot more involved, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I went and looked at my Rolex Daytona, and I can't imagine what it would be like dealing with tiny micro-hands, I've seen quite a few watchmakers restoring old watches with lots of complications and they make it look so straightforward.

Would be nice if I could develop this into more of a hobby, I had a good time today doing this.

The picture of my journey and struggle......last pic is of the time set properly, working and keeping great time....so far! lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIYW_Complete1.jpg (102.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DIYW_Complete2.jpg (89.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg DIYW_Complete3.jpg (101.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg DIYW_Complete4.jpg (230.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 20 June 2022, 12:42 PM   #16
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Well done! Your story is all too familiar, from the reluctant second hand to the thrill of completion. It is a blast. And you're hooked, pal!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Old 22 June 2022, 10:50 AM   #17
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Super Cool. I just got to try this.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 11:02 AM   #18
Phrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Super Cool. I just got to try this.
Hey! Was wearing my Daytona today and of course was thinking of you.

This was a lot of fun, ordered some cheap Miyota and Seiko movements to practice on, familiarize myself a little more and get comfortable with the tools.

You'd definitely enjoy this, just when it comes time to put the hands on - be prepared to slow your metabolism down and be very careful and move very slowly.....

I'd like to try and do a 5513 build with a Seiko movement, instructions are out there....I just wonder if Dan will mind if I come over, you know, for some instructions and guidance!

Pic of the Caseback:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIY_Back.jpg (134.2 KB, 51 views)