The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 June 2022, 06:08 AM   #1
anx21
"TRF" Member

Moser-Undefeated collaboration

Not a big fan but curious to hear if someone else is:
hodinkee (dot) com/articles/moser-undefeated-streamliner-limited-edition-2022

Some elements are nice (3/6/9 markers, DLC coating) but the dial overall seems like a miss.

A much better, cheaper buy IMO (wish I had caught the auction while it was live!):
loupethis (dot) com/auctions/h-moser-cie-streamliner-perpetual-calendar
anx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 06:39 AM   #2
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
This is a miss for me as well. I’m sure it will make someone thrilled to own it, but I’m not sure any of the elements of this limited edition are more desirable than the production models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 06:43 AM   #3
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
I’ve said this elsewhere but at this point Moser seems to focus more on marketing rather than horology. It’s a cool watch and will sell out immediately but it’s such a waste of a streamliner release. I’m kind of getting frustrated where the brand is headed. They are really running the risk of approaching tackiness.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 07:05 AM   #4
Jimbo
Banned

I'm torn by Moser. Some of their watches are very nice, but they often flog a dead horse on their minimalist designs.

For example, their fume dials....I mean there is only so much you can do with that, and short of neon yellow, it ends up just being another color (or no color in the Vantablack examples).

There are very very few examples of watches that actually come on bracelets (Streamliner notwithstanding). There is a very limited line of average WR models. In other words, no real sports models.

In all honesty, I can't stand their perpetual calendars. I don't find the system easily readable, and as perpetuals, most do not come with a day indicator.

Also, sometimes the joke goes stale.

And lastly, they are hideously expensive.

It's a brand I struggle to justify when allocating funds to buy a watch in that price range.

But what do I know. I actually don't like the looks of the Streamliner. It's not something that grabs me.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 07:20 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Overall I like what they're doing. This collaboration seems a bit of a premium tho. Love the Vantablack and may pick one up at some point.

None more black.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 07:32 AM   #6
anx21
"TRF" Member

To be clear, I actually really like the streamliner, especially the Centre Seconds in green. I'm probably going to try to order one when they open the order books again, but this release gives me some pause TBH.

Re: the company itself, apart from this collaboration, I think they are doing some cool stuff. Let me know if I'm missing something, Jimbo and FrugalGreubel:

Quote:
For example, their fume dials....I mean there is only so much you can do with that, and short of neon yellow, it ends up just being another color (or no color in the Vantablack examples).
I think they acknowledged that, and are trying to move past it. They did a hammered enamel dial recently which was cool, but the dial thing can only go on for so long.

Quote:
There are very very few examples of watches that actually come on bracelets (Streamliner notwithstanding). There is a very limited line of average WR models. In other words, no real sports models.
The Pioneer is also 120m WR right? I like that the streamliner is the only one on bracelet, mirrors the Royal Oak which is what Meylan is going for, I believe

Quote:
And lastly, they are hideously expensive
I think the Skeletonized Pioneer Tourbillon at 120m WR and $80K is fairly priced in its class.
anx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 07:50 AM   #7
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I think moser has done a great job getting name recognition and industry respect from a tiny independent brand with no real distribution

I don’t love this one but applaud their efforts to build the brand visibility

I love some of their stuff. Others not so much but I’m sure they are casting a wide net at first
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 09:54 AM   #8
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Undefeated logo looks like two hublot logos stuck together..

Collab is ok for me but the logo I am not a fan

Bearxj86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 10:27 AM   #9
GB-man
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Not generally into moser this is no exception.
Old 16 June 2022, 10:32 AM   #10
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post

A real Moser x Hublot collaboration would be so funny and not out of the realm of possibilities.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 11:41 AM   #11
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Moser fan but this is a miss for me.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 11:46 AM   #12
ranger22
"TRF" Member

I realize my opinion is just that and who cares, but I dig this collab. However, I’m a fan of Moser and black camo. I’ve never heard of “Undefeated” so that’s meaningless to me, but I like the watch. Kudos to them for having the guts to do something different.
ranger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 12:02 PM   #13
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Love the standard streamliners, but this does nothing for me
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 01:06 PM   #14
Jimbo
Banned

I kinda wish they did not put on such a garish Undefeated logo. A more low-key ghost logo, like Moser did for its own name, and they do on other models, probably would have been the better way to go.
Old 16 June 2022, 02:05 PM   #15
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Yuck.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 02:35 PM   #16
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Have had the chance to try on a number of their models at various watch shows & they are always very nice- the people as well as the watches. Some of their dials are really stunning & I have a feeling one of their aventurine dials may find its way into my collection at some point.

That said, the Streamliner doesn't do it for me so I may be biased, and, while I don't hate this dial, I just can't unsee the double-Hublot at 12 o'clock (thanks, Bearxj86).

I wonder if they considered using an Arabic 12 and the Undefeated logo at the 5 position (with or without an Arabic 6).
Old 16 June 2022, 05:42 PM   #17
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Super tacky
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2022, 11:13 PM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Stu View Post
I wonder if they considered using an Arabic 12 and the Undefeated logo at the 5 position (with or without an Arabic 6).
That is a great design idea!

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.

Old 17 June 2022, 11:55 AM   #19
Yobrooks
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Agree with many of the points made. I do love the heritage collection pilot style watches especially the wonderful bronze LE ( 50 pieces) which sold out immediately. Unfortunately, mine is for sale as the 42mm was a tad too big for my 6.5 in wrist. I wish the heritage was 40 mm. :(.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMoser_8200-1701_half-L-953x1024.jpg (115.4 KB, 424 views)
Yobrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2022, 09:33 PM   #20
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post

Now this is all I can see with this watch.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 04:13 AM   #21
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

I don’t quite understand the angst and outright disdain some are expressing about this particular collaboration. It does not appeal to me, but then again neither does the Rolex Daytona or a whole host of other Watches. If I don’t like something I don’t feel compelled to be negative about it; I just move on.

I have the two Moser watches I want (Pioneer Mad Red and Funky Blue Heritage Center Seconds) and may consider another (Vanta black for example). I appreciate that they take on projects outside the “norm” and that things they learn are incorporated into other pieces/projects.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 06:21 AM   #22
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonbalch View Post
I don’t quite understand the angst and outright disdain some are expressing about this particular collaboration. It does not appeal to me, but then again neither does the Rolex Daytona or a whole host of other Watches. If I don’t like something I don’t feel compelled to be negative about it; I just move on.

I have the two Moser watches I want (Pioneer Mad Red and Funky Blue Heritage Center Seconds) and may consider another (Vanta black for example). I appreciate that they take on projects outside the “norm” and that things they learn are incorporated into other pieces/projects.
I think part of it is cause Moser is trying to make this collaboration seem daring and risky when it’s not. And the other part is that the watch isn't particularly nice. A lot of us like the Streamliner but with how hard it is to get one instead of releasing more of the current green dial or just a new color they decided to make 76 of these to just seem cool. I like Moser but this release is just meh. But this will sell and that’s all that matters
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 06:56 AM   #23
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Horrendous.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2022, 08:22 AM   #24
Jimbo
Banned

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing about the collaboration, and Moser was always to most provacative of old school Swiss watch manufacturers (meaning having been around since the pocket watch days).

The execution was just off for me, especially the loud Undefeated logo. I wonder if Moser realized the logo looks to two Hublot logos put together, or they did see that and thought that was a good idea...like thumbing their noses at Hublot. I don't know, but I can't unsee that anymore...I no longer think "Undefeated" when I see that.

But again, out of all the Moser models, the Streamliner does the least for me from the get-go, so the collab piece is just not my cup of tea.
Old 19 June 2022, 08:54 AM   #25
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Old 19 June 2022, 09:38 AM   #26
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I'm waiting for their SUPreme collab. Vanta black with SUP on the dial at 12.

Old 21 June 2022, 01:06 AM   #27
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGreubel View Post
I’ve said this elsewhere but at this point Moser seems to focus more on marketing rather than horology. It’s a cool watch and will sell out immediately but it’s such a waste of a streamliner release. I’m kind of getting frustrated where the brand is headed. They are really running the risk of approaching tackiness.

100% agree. The MB&F collaboration was a perfect collaboration. This feels like one of the hundreds of Supreme X (whatever) which would sell out fast but without any soul.

Maybe one day we will see a Hello Kitty collaboration and my wife will jump on it.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 01:38 AM   #28
ap1

Fanboy check in (of brand not this particular SL) Not sure I agree, pioneer skeleton is an amazing release this year. They take risks that’s clear. Better than me too products this and that
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 02:00 AM   #29
MP777
"TRF" Member

Interested to see how the PVD holds up over time. Will it flake off?
I wish this was not PVD. Titanium or just stainless steel would’ve been a lot less gimmicky. Or heck, at $55k they could’ve gone with full grey ceramic.
MP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2022, 02:07 AM   #30
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

I love the Stremamliner flyback (I own the Funky Blue SL flyback and it is in my top 5 watches) and would have thought I would jump at the opportunity own another - but it doesn't improve on the current design.

Having said that, I don't hate it and fair play to Moser for trying something new. I like the collaborations TAG have done with Fragment so the Streetwear collaboration can work.
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote