The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 June 2022, 04:37 PM   #1
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

F. P. Journe

Hello TRF gang. Am in Tokyo on biz and went to FPJ boutique. It was closed and had a note advising to email for an appt. Received this response.

Have to say am rather flabbergasted by the attitude of the watchmakers these days. Will be interesting to see how they fare in a couple of months when this financial crisis really gets some legs.

Dear Mr. xxxx

Thank you for requesting a reservation to come to our boutique in Tokyo.

May we ask you in advance what kind of services you would wish for on the day of your visit?

It is possible for us to take your reservation for you to come to the boutique, but we currently have no stock of any items that you could purchase immediately.

Please note that if you wish to purchase any item, you will need to fill out a request form for that purpose, and wait at least from about several years up to 10 years until delivery.

Therefore, we recommend you to take a reservation with a boutique close to your place of residence as much as possible.

We thank you for your kind understanding on that regard.
F.P.JOURNE Tokyo boutique

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 04:44 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
No new clients required?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 04:46 PM   #3
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Wow, of all the nerve...
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 04:59 PM   #4
Lukla
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet/ALS/Patek
waiting privilege inheritance..
Lukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 05:06 PM   #5
Emery
"TRF" Member

Would it have made a difference if they met up with you, buttered you up, and told you the same thing?

At least they’re upfront with you and saved you a trip to see some furniture.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 05:07 PM   #6
Emery
"TRF" Member

Deleted.

Last edited by Emery; 21 June 2022 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Double post.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 06:10 PM   #7
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Embarrassing.

Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 06:17 PM   #8
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
It comes off as a little smug. It could have been worded differently. But it probably saves you and them time and disappointment.

My visit to the FPJ shop on Sunset in LA was awesome. They had no stock but they were happy to let me in, offer me some scotch and spend over an hour just talking about independent watches (FPJ and others).
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 07:38 PM   #9
ILoveFerrari
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Would it have made a difference if they met up with you, buttered you up, and told you the same thing?

At least they’re upfront with you and saved you a trip to see some furniture.
exactly. Strict to the point I found the email. No unnecessary PC crap. Perfectly fine with me as I am not a snowflake.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
ILoveFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 08:16 PM   #10
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

Just came back from Geneva after touring the Journe production facility. Almost all of the waiting lists have been closed. This includes the Eleganté both 40 and 48 size. Even if there is a hard recession you’re still looking at 5 years before receiving anything. Journe clients are not likely to opt out of their place in line.
Spartan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 08:30 PM   #11
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I don't mind the 10-year wait for the Resonance but I'm not from Tokyo so I guess I can't make a reservation there.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 08:40 PM   #12
dchang81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan2009 View Post
Just came back from Geneva after touring the Journe production facility. Almost all of the waiting lists have been closed. This includes the Eleganté both 40 and 48 size. Even if there is a hard recession you’re still looking at 5 years before receiving anything. Journe clients are not likely to opt out of their place in line.
Problem is for those who arent regular customers. I only got an elegante a few years ago, and despite being on the list for a linesport a few years ago before it even became popular, my wait has been a moving target. I was told 6 months. 6 more months, then 6 more months, then I don't have a place in line anymore.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 09:04 PM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyjo View Post

Have to say am rather flabbergasted by the attitude of the watchmakers these days. Will be interesting to see how they fare in a couple of months when this financial crisis really gets some legs.

They will be just fine
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 09:23 PM   #14
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Did you reply? Coming from SG this is pretty much your local boutique (or HK) and so let them know that. I assume they have something to show you and would do so willingly. Although nothing to sell you, which surely you already knew as this has been the case for a long time now.

My experience in Tokyo over the years has always been welcoming although staff are always more comfortable speaking Japanese (understandably).
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 09:37 PM   #15
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I praise them for being direct and straight with information. No need to waste your time or the time of staff.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 09:49 PM   #16
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Problem is for those who arent regular customers. I only got an elegante a few years ago, and despite being on the list for a linesport a few years ago before it even became popular, my wait has been a moving target. I was told 6 months. 6 more months, then 6 more months, then I don't have a place in line anymore.
I am really sorry to hear that. This is the first time I have heard a story like this one. Did they give you a reason why you were no longer in line for a line sport?
Old 21 June 2022, 10:16 PM   #17
dchang81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan2009 View Post
I am really sorry to hear that. This is the first time I have heard a story like this one. Did they give you a reason why you were no longer in line for a line sport?
I mean it's not a huge deal, I understand it's hard for them to tell who's a flipper and who's a watch enthusiast. They basically told me I need to come to more events and show interest. I told them I'm not sure how many times I need to drag my wife and eat quiche to prove I'm worthy. I would go in every few months to try stuff on and go to events to meet other collectors. This was before the insanity started too so it's not like I was jumping on the bandwagon.

Prob reposting this portion but I remember i took some ire for buying the elegante 48, which at the time of my purchase was still called a cheap quartz woman's watch. My wife who doesn't have a strong opinion did give me credit for buying something that no one cared for then it eventually became a monster hit. Heck I passed on a chunky discount from an AD to buy at the boutique just to build a relationship, but I guess that's ending at just one watch. I totally understand they have to cater to their big clients, loyal clients, but for regular folks like me it seems pretty hard to get any traction with the brand.

Attaching a watch I debated selling everything I had to buy....don't even want to know what they go for these days...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190501_151531_copy_454x606.jpg (248.9 KB, 399 views)
Old 21 June 2022, 10:41 PM   #18
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Their obsession with people attending events is somewhat comical to me. They act as if flippers don't have the ability to feign interest and attend watch events. Or the classic, "we want to get to know you"... as if you would get to know me better at a large watch event as opposed to the quiet 1v1 atmosphere at the boutique on a random weekday afternoon. Additionally, not everyone lives remotely near one of the very few Journe boutiques scattered around the world. So screw those people, right?

OP, my advice is to simply move on to another brand. It's not worth the graveling and countless years waiting for a watch.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 11:01 PM   #19
bondibeach
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I praise them for being direct and straight with information. No need to waste your time or the time of staff.
what is the staff usually doing all day long? Handing over watches?
bondibeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 11:11 PM   #20
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondibeach View Post
what is the staff usually doing all day long? Handing over watches?
Buttering up high-valued current clientele.

Old 21 June 2022, 11:41 PM   #21
classicalthunder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
agreed, set the expectations and then if they can improve on that its a win for them and you. Much better than the frustration that occurs with the vague and opaque process for getting a Rolex of AP this day in age...

I threw my name in for a for a CS in NYC, and am totally fine with it taking 5-ish years so I can save up haha. But every time I go to the boutique, they have some samples for me to view and are more than hospitable.

I do think, if this is your regional boutique that you should mention it but I would imagine you would need to pop in every now and then to 'stay active' on the waitlist.
classicalthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 11:56 PM   #22
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalthunder View Post
agreed, set the expectations and then if they can improve on that its a win for them and you. Much better than the frustration that occurs with the vague and opaque process for getting a Rolex of AP this day in age...

I threw my name in for a for a CS in NYC, and am totally fine with it taking 5-ish years so I can save up haha. But every time I go to the boutique, they have some samples for me to view and are more than hospitable.

I do think, if this is your regional boutique that you should mention it but I would imagine you would need to pop in every now and then to 'stay active' on the waitlist.
It’s one thing to set expectations; I think mostly everyone appreciates that.

Part of the fun of being a watch enthusiast is going into ADs and boutiques and talking watches. Even if there is no stock and you have virtually no chance of obtaining a watch, it’s still fun to shoot the breeze with a person working in the industry. Having this overly formal process, where you are meant to go hat in hand to even step foot inside the establishment, is cold and off putting.

Old 22 June 2022, 12:02 AM   #23
dchang81

I go to other dealers and shoot the s--t all the time just because I like talking watches or about other random common interests. I guess when it happens organically that's one thing, but a bit off putting when I know I'm just checking off my monthly visit quota to get a watch. Probably just a me issue. Like I posted in an AP thread maybe I'm just an a-hole too is why no one wants to sell me a watch
Old 22 June 2022, 12:31 AM   #24
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
Why would you be upset about a polite straightforward email explaining the situation so you don't waste your time and theirs?
Breguet 5547BB Marine Alarm, 7067 Tradition, 5817 Marine Black, Blue, Silver Patek Philippe 5134P, 5205G-013 Omega NTTD Seamaster Vacheron Constantin FiftySix Complete Calendar Glashutte Original PanomaticLunar Chopard Alpine Eagle
PhilLynott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 02:31 AM   #25
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I find the email refreshing! Honest, direct, to the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 02:37 AM   #26
jcatral14
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Perhaps could have been worded differently but it's pretty much accurate. They won't have anything to sell but I am certain they have some pieces to show you. The New York Boutique is currently closed as they are moving and only have a small office (I am told) but they are awesome and willing to meet for coffee and show some pieces (albeit by appointment only). When they were at their previous location, they were very inviting and no appointments needed.

jcatral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 04:24 AM   #27
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
I mean it's not a huge deal, I understand it's hard for them to tell who's a flipper and who's a watch enthusiast. They basically told me I need to come to more events and show interest. I told them I'm not sure how many times I need to drag my wife and eat quiche to prove I'm worthy. I would go in every few months to try stuff on and go to events to meet other collectors. This was before the insanity started too so it's not like I was jumping on the bandwagon.

Prob reposting this portion but I remember i took some ire for buying the elegante 48, which at the time of my purchase was still called a cheap quartz woman's watch. My wife who doesn't have a strong opinion did give me credit for buying something that no one cared for then it eventually became a monster hit. Heck I passed on a chunky discount from an AD to buy at the boutique just to build a relationship, but I guess that's ending at just one watch. I totally understand they have to cater to their big clients, loyal clients, but for regular folks like me it seems pretty hard to get any traction with the brand.

Attaching a watch I debated selling everything I had to buy....don't even want to know what they go for these days...
Congratulations on getting the E48. I kick myself from time to time for not getting on when I had the opportunity. For Journe collectors you have to have a long established purchase history or you make it a priority to meet with your representative a few times a year.

I live in Houston and I deal with the NYC boutique. Between business and vacation trips I usually make about 2-3 events a year. A 2 months ago my wife and I drove to Austin for a Journe collectors dinner. I'm not wealthy, but I've made Journe a collecting priority. For the casual collector I can see how it can be very frustrating. During the tour last week I was told they make 300 Elegante watches a year and 900 mechanical. There is no plan to increase output at all in the near future.

Getting 1 Journe a year is equivalent to having a lottery odds of 1 in 6 million based on current production levels so that should always factor into anyone's decision to pursue a Journe watch. To me, I think of buying a Journe watch is analogous to buying a watch from Berguet when he was alive .
Old 22 June 2022, 06:46 AM   #28
GB-man

Watch: addiction issues
Considering there’s a language barrier I don’t think they were rude. They were more or less setting the stage for realistic expectations and did after all say you could visit. I would confirm that this is your local boutique, I’m kind of surprised Singapore doesn’t have a retailer? Is that so?
Old 22 June 2022, 11:27 AM   #29
Allanmodel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still Looking....!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’m kind of surprised Singapore doesn’t have a retailer? Is that so?

We do have a retailer here in Singapore.....but, same thing they are not interested in selling to walk in customer or 1st timer......(I'm one of them, looking to get FPJ & MB&F)

what a shame~~
Allanmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 11:48 AM   #30
ILoveFerrari
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Considering there’s a language barrier I don’t think they were rude. They were more or less setting the stage for realistic expectations and did after all say you could visit. I would confirm that this is your local boutique, I’m kind of surprised Singapore doesn’t have a retailer? Is that so?
nah, the English in the email is perfect. It's not the language barrier but rather expectation of customer service and delivery of rejection based on different cultures.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
ILoveFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote