The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 June 2022, 05:46 PM   #1
VKM
"TRF" Member

Anti Magnetic watch?

Suggestions please for a good anti magnetic watch which is genuinely anti magnetic for daily wear. Currently my daily wear is a Rolex 124060. Don't find the Milgauss or Omega appealing. So looking for any other swiss brand.
Cheers!
VKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 06:11 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Pick any one.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 08:55 PM   #3
VKM
"TRF" Member

Is IWC 357002 anti magnetic? It is not mentioned in the specs but AD says it is.
Old 29 June 2022, 08:57 PM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKM View Post
Suggestions please for a good anti magnetic watch which is genuinely anti magnetic for daily wear. Currently my daily wear is a Rolex 124060. Don't find the Milgauss or Omega appealing. So looking for any other swiss brand.
Cheers!
Not sure what you find unappealing about Omega, so it is hard to recommend anything to you.
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2022, 09:31 PM   #5
ap1

VC os
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 02:16 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Tudor BBC is METAS certified

248898166_2282933438509691_1047766778410371085_n.jpg

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 02:25 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Almost every good quality watch made today is anti-magnetic as far as the hair spring is concerned.

Not sure why that would be a major consideration, however, the new Air King uses the same movement as the Milgauss.
Old 30 June 2022, 08:18 AM   #8
watchmavan

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Is IWC 357002 anti magnetic? It is not mentioned in the specs but AD says it is.

Haha, AD says something that the manufacturer does not! I call bu115hit. He can get away with it as all watches have anti-magnetic properties. Most very little, others more. There's actually quite a large range. But with very few above 500 gauss. Even the Rolex Milgauss is only around 1000, which is not done at the calibre level but by a Faraday cage that it suits in.
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 03:40 PM   #9
VKM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Tudor BBC is METAS certified

Attachment 1301810
Seems to be a good choice. I'll take a look at it.
Old 30 June 2022, 04:12 PM   #10
VKM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Almost every good quality watch made today is anti-magnetic as far as the hair spring is concerned.

Not sure why that would be a major consideration, however, the new Air King uses the same movement as the Milgauss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
Haha, AD says something that the manufacturer does not! I call bu115hit. He can get away with it as all watches have anti-magnetic properties. Most very little, others more. There's actually quite a large range. But with very few above 500 gauss. Even the Rolex Milgauss is only around 1000, which is not done at the calibre level but by a Faraday cage that it suits in.
My business involves being amidst loudspeakers, turntables and other Audio related electronics all day. I'm constantly setting them up/interchanging the various components of the music rig/moving them around for placement. Sometimes I'm with the technician to oversee the servicing part where it is all opened up.

I thought this would be as simple as finding a good antimagnetic watch and be done with it. But now your replies make me think if I should look for how much gauss I need? Or am I being too finicky and don't need it after all?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG2.jpeg (53.1 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG3.jpeg (56.0 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG4.jpeg (45.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG6.jpeg (45.2 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG5.jpeg (62.1 KB, 140 views)
Old 30 June 2022, 04:15 PM   #11
VKM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Not sure what you find unappealing about Omega, so it is hard to recommend anything to you.
The Omega bracelets are too flimsy for my liking and not a fan of Omega in general except a few models.
Old 30 June 2022, 04:22 PM   #12
Andad

Watch: A few.
I can't recommend any mechanical watch for your application.

Some speaker neo magnets can touch 15000 gauss?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 04:41 PM   #13
watchmavan

Quote:
The Omega bracelets are too flimsy for my liking and not a fan of Omega in general except a few models.

Personally I own two Rolex and three Omega and would struggle to say that. But each to their own.
Old 30 June 2022, 04:45 PM   #14
watchmavan

Quote:
My business involves being amidst loudspeakers, turntables and other Audio related electronics all day. I'm constantly setting them up/interchanging the various components of the music rig/moving them around for placement. Sometimes I'm with the technician to oversee the servicing part where it is all opened up.

I thought this would be as simple as finding a good antimagnetic watch and be done with it. But now your replies make me think if I should look for how much gauss I need? Or am I being too finicky and don't need it after all?

Looks like you're already there with watch and work. If the watch continues to keep good time then you're OK. Mind you I would think you keep your watch away from the danger zones already. But really, nothing else come close to Master Chronometer certification. So Omega and Tudor are your go to. At a level below I'd be looking for a silicon hairspring.
Old 30 June 2022, 07:38 PM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Understood, good luck
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 09:09 PM   #16
VKM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I can't recommend any mechanical watch for your application.

Some speaker neo magnets can touch 15000 gauss?
If I cant wear a mechanical watch then I might as well stop wearing a watch altogether
Old 30 June 2022, 09:14 PM   #17
VKM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks like you're already there with watch and work. If the watch continues to keep good time then you're OK. Mind you I would think you keep your watch away from the danger zones already. But really, nothing else come close to Master Chronometer certification. So Omega and Tudor are your go to. At a level below I'd be looking for a silicon hairspring.
Looking at the options looks like I have to eat my words and go for Omega SM Aqua Terra. Let me chew on that and see if I will be able to go for it.
Thanks mate.
Old 30 June 2022, 11:14 PM   #18
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I used to routinely expose my watches beyond 9500 gauss. Repeated exposure will add up in a watch. At that kind of field strength a paper clip becomes dangerous.

I had to be careful not to get to close. At 10 feet away you could feel the force pulling on anything magnetic. It will snatch Bobby pins out of hair.

Rolex with there version of Anti-magnetic properties took weeks to build up enough exposure to magnetize the plates and gears to slow it down. No not run fast - the hair spring was not affected.

Omega was the only watch I could find that would hold up day to day.
I am still around magnetic fields routinely and find that certain parts can still be magnetized sometimes like pins in bracelets, collars and buckles.

But at around 1000 - 1500 gauss, Any watch with a Si hair spring will do fine. Using a Fluke gauss meter you will be surprised at just how close you have be to a magnetic source in order for it to be a problem with a modern movement equipped with a Si spring before it becomes a problem.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2022, 11:29 PM   #19
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My business involves being amidst loudspeakers, turntables and other Audio related electronics all day.
Selling the Studer? Say it ain't so!

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.

Old 1 July 2022, 08:22 AM   #20
watchmavan

Worth also noting that the Master Chronometer certification used by Omega and also Tudor now is not "to" 15000 but to "at least"15000.
Old 1 July 2022, 08:24 AM   #21
EEpro

Watch: Daytona

VC overseas is my vote.
Old 1 July 2022, 09:23 AM   #22
watchmavan

Anti Magnetic watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post

VC overseas is my vote.

Don't seem to recall any anti-magnetic features from this maker that aren't the same offered by a standard ETA calibre. From what I've seen it offers less than the watch the op has as being replaced!

Am I missing some info here. Not a brand I know a lot about?

Edit: calibre is rated to 25,000 A/m thanks to the inclusion of a soft iron casing ring and nothing to do with the calibre. That converts in gauss to only:

Result

25000 A/m
=
314.15926536 gauss
Old 1 July 2022, 10:22 AM   #23
EEpro

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Don't seem to recall any anti-magnetic features from this maker that aren't the same offered by a standard ETA calibre. From what I've seen it offers less than the watch the op has as being replaced!

Am I missing some info here. Not a brand I know a lot about?

Edit: calibre is rated to 25,000 A/m thanks to the inclusion of a soft iron casing ring and nothing to do with the calibre. That converts in gauss to only:

Result

25000 A/m
=
314.15926536 gauss
You gents have higher standards than industry standards.

ISO 764:2020
Horology — Magnetic resistant watches

Magnetic resistant watch:
Watch designed to withstand a homogeneous and continuous direct current magnetic field of 4800 A/m encountered on a daily basis

Enhanced magnetic resistant watch:
Watch designed to withstand a homogeneous and continuous strong direct current magnetic field equal or higher than 16000 A/m encountered in close proximity

As long as you don't go inside the MRI or take the watch off and insert it into the voice coil of the subwoofer, this is going to be fine. I work around klystrons and magnetrons at work and have only ever had my early 2000s 300m Seamaster 2254 affected by magnetism. My modern Rolex watches, modern Omegas, and VC have all been just fine.
Old 1 July 2022, 10:53 AM   #24
watchmavan

Quote:
You gents have higher standards than industry standards.

ISO 764:2020
Horology — Magnetic resistant watches

Magnetic resistant watch:
Watch designed to withstand a homogeneous and continuous direct current magnetic field of 4800 A/m encountered on a daily basis

Enhanced magnetic resistant watch:
Watch designed to withstand a homogeneous and continuous strong direct current magnetic field equal or higher than 16000 A/m encountered in close proximity

As long as you don't go inside the MRI or take the watch off and insert it into the voice coil of the subwoofer, this is going to be fine. I work around klystrons and magnetrons at work and have only ever had my early 2000s 300m Seamaster 2254 affected by magnetism. My modern Rolex watches, modern Omegas, and VC have all been just fine.

I would agree that almost any modern watch will do the trick if not being silly. However, given today's range of options I think anti-magnetic for the op is something more. 100m is the standard for a divers watch but few people would settle for less than 200m. It is not about the standard really and never had been. So I'd say again that 300 gauss is in fact very little given what's available.
Old 1 July 2022, 02:10 PM   #25
VKM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
VC os
Quote:
VC overseas is my vote.
I let go of a VC OS few years back when the AD pushed me to take it off his hands. I've been regretting it ever since and now the regret only increases.
Old 1 July 2022, 02:24 PM   #26
VKM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
I used to routinely expose my watches beyond 9500 gauss. Repeated exposure will add up in a watch. At that kind of field strength a paper clip becomes dangerous.

I had to be careful not to get to close. At 10 feet away you could feel the force pulling on anything magnetic. It will snatch Bobby pins out of hair.

Rolex with there version of Anti-magnetic properties took weeks to build up enough exposure to magnetize the plates and gears to slow it down. No not run fast - the hair spring was not affected.

Omega was the only watch I could find that would hold up day to day.
I am still around magnetic fields routinely and find that certain parts can still be magnetized sometimes like pins in bracelets, collars and buckles.

But at around 1000 - 1500 gauss, Any watch with a Si hair spring will do fine. Using a Fluke gauss meter you will be surprised at just how close you have be to a magnetic source in order for it to be a problem with a modern movement equipped with a Si spring before it becomes a problem.
Yes it has happened quite a few times, even smaller speakers pull the pins and clips and I deal with some pretty big speakers and amplifiers.
Old 1 July 2022, 02:29 PM   #27
VKM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Selling the Studer? Say it ain't so!
Haha, Studer is not for sale, its been with me for 20years. It is for the demo of the spool tapes which I distribute. I think this is a better picture choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG7.jpeg (56.3 KB, 91 views)
Old 1 July 2022, 11:00 PM   #28
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

^^^^^^^^

well-played.jpg

Old 2 July 2022, 02:47 PM   #29
Dr.Stu

You should take a look at the Sinn line. They make some nice antimagnetic watches & this line is rated to at least 1000 Gauss:
https://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/A...00-A-m-c78.htm
https://www.sinn.de/en/Sinn-Spezialuhren.htm
sinn-857-UTC-1.jpg

If I had the wrist for it I'd probably go for the EZM-7 Fire Brigade watch (very cool looking watch & probably indestructible!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EZM_7 copy sm.jpg (71.5 KB, 55 views)