The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 September 2006, 04:28 AM   #1
morgman
"TRF" Member

Tried to "step up" into a SD, but dealer shafting me

Well, I just think Pepsi maybe isn't my thing. I'm not really liking the Cyclops, and it's almost too "blingy" & busy for me. I just look in the mirror and it's not really "me".

So I called my AD and asked how much it would be to step up into a SD. (I am within their 15 day "not pleased for any reason" return policy).

I was expecting that something like a Rolex wouldn't be covered under such a policy, but it's not in their fine print. However, I at least expected an awesome trade-in allowance and a good mark-off of the SD, since I've only had the watch 1.5 weeks!

They said it would be (gulp) 40% to 50% off of my watch, and did not mention any discount on the SD.

sigh. really makes me feel like dicking with them.

What happened to customer service and repeat business?
morgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 04:29 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
You may be much better off selling the GMT privately. Then you can find another AD who will discount on the SD.

Good luck with your search.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 04:31 AM   #3
C.J.
"TRF" Member

That's horrible! A week and a half old and they want to knock off that much? I guess they care very little about customer satisfaction.
Old 19 September 2006, 04:36 AM   #4
morgman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
That's horrible! A week and a half old and they want to knock off that much? I guess they care very little about customer satisfaction.
I think there thing is "in a week or so, they'll be able to mark the SD up another $500 or something".
Old 19 September 2006, 04:38 AM   #5
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgman View Post
I think there thing is "in a week or so, they'll be able to mark the SD up another $500 or something".
Probably, but they should still give much more for the GMT. In the same weeks time, they'll be selling the GMT for a higher price too.
Old 19 September 2006, 04:45 AM   #6
morgman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Probably, but they should still give much more for the GMT. In the same weeks time, they'll be selling the GMT for a higher price too.
sigh. bummed today
Old 19 September 2006, 04:47 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Hey Justin,

I thought in the USA they had this 30-day return policy provided the watch was still in pristine condition with all stickers, etc. intact?

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 19 September 2006, 04:50 AM   #8
morgman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hey Justin,

I thought in the USA they had this 30-day return policy provided the watch was still in pristine condition with all stickers, etc. intact?

JJ
I don't think they do. I think the black #'s on the sticker have worn off already though.

Still, that trade-in allowance is abysmal.

Part of it is that the dealer fills out the warranty papers and sends them in.
Old 19 September 2006, 04:52 AM   #9
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't think they do. I think the black #'s on the sticker have worn off already though.

Maybe you should call Rolex HQ. I had taken a watch back a few years ago after a little less than a week and they let me ad the difference to the one I wanted. I had never purchased from the AD before that either. It appeared to have been standard procedure.
Old 19 September 2006, 04:53 AM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:

Well, sorry to hear that. I suggest you just keep it for now. Hey, the GMT is a great watch and very practical too. What's with the sudden change of heart?

Old 19 September 2006, 04:57 AM   #11
morgman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Well, sorry to hear that. I suggest you just keep it for now. Hey, the GMT is a great watch and very practical too. What's with the sudden change of heart?
I should have gotten the SD in the 1st place, but kind of let my wife talk me into the GMT. "the SD is too similar to the no-date sub you already have".
Old 19 September 2006, 05:00 AM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
I should have gotten the SD in the 1st place, but kind of let my wife talk me into the GMT. "the SD is too similar to the no-date sub you already have".
Well, in all fairness to her, she did make a lot of sense. Why would you want two almost similar looking watches. Just hang onto the GMT-II, you tosser. It's a great watch!!

Old 19 September 2006, 05:05 AM   #13
frank bullit
Banned

Secondhand

Quote:
I understand your anguish, but I'm afraid we all get clobbered this way with almost anything we buy. As soon as we walk out of the shop or drive it off of the forecourt, instantly it's 'used'. Consequently harder to re-sell and all that that entails. (more discount, etc)
Stick with your original purchase, it's a classic that's why you were attracted
in the first place I expect.
Don't give them any more of your dosh!

Quality is always in fashion.

FB.
frank bullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 05:42 AM   #14
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
if you go to sacramento i know for a fact you can get atleast 10% off the sd! just like jj said, sell the gmt off on your own then go buy a sd. i think thats your best situation.

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 06:09 AM   #15
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I went to trade my car in to a dealer and I was offered $2,000 and I know I can get $9,000. They figure when you WANT to sell, your emotions are involved, and they can mek a lot of money out of you. Maybe next time you can tell a little white lie. Say that the watch has issues or the like.

My AD told me I have 10 days no questions asked to return it, and 30 days total for a trade-up. In fact when I went back recently they asked if I was still happy. I just know they want my watch back to re-sell again! :>

50% does seem a bit steep. BTW a local shop had a blue TT Submariner, list at $7100, used for $6900. So yea, they make out just fine.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 06:41 AM   #16
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank bullit View Post
I understand your anguish, but I'm afraid we all get clobbered this way with almost anything we buy. As soon as we walk out of the shop or drive it off of the forecourt, instantly it's 'used'. Consequently harder to re-sell and all that that entails. (more discount, etc)
Stick with your original purchase, it's a classic that's why you were attracted
in the first place I expect.
Don't give them any more of your dosh!

Quality is always in fashion.

FB.
One should expect to loose a fair bit on a traded used item. But, several AD's offer a certain time period to return a watch in exchange for another, so long as it is still in perfect Like-New condition.
Old 19 September 2006, 06:48 AM   #17
AJC

I don't think there is as much depreciation involved more greed on the dealers part.

Do as others have said and sell privately and then buy from an AD that discounts.

Aaron
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 07:13 AM   #18
TNRonin

Watch: 2000 SD
If it is within the period of time you can return it, I would do that. Then buy the SD elsewhere. They obviously have no loyalty to you, why should you be loyal to them. This is a simple business decision. I would make sure the watch falls under their conditions first. Say have a buddy go in an look at the watches and ask that question. Once you get a positive or negative make you move. Simple as that. You are not being underhanded. You offer/asked about the trade-in, any dealer worth their salt would do the trade/difference to keep and get a return customer. Don't do anything illegal, but this is business, they should realize that. Good luck.
TNRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 07:25 AM   #19
Bill Spider
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear of your experience with the AD. I would get in touch with one of the reputable grey market dealers and do a trade. You will have to add some cash but it will save you the trouble of selling the GMT and you will get a discount on the SD. Good Luck!
Bill Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 07:35 AM   #20
morgman
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys. I'm starting to feel a little bit better

I did finally read fine print about "unworn" in the return policy on a different side of the page, so I guess that shoots that 15 day thing down. I still think they were rather trying to jack me with the trade-in value, esp since I purchased it from their store not long ago.

The watch actually does have a slight defect; the crown stud is slightly misaligned compared to the crown guards. I talked to a watch guru the other weekend and he said he had a GMT like this before and it was never a problem, nor did Rolex say anything when he sent it in for his overhaul.

Maybe I should just make peace with the watch and try to bond with it for a while.
Old 19 September 2006, 07:43 AM   #21
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm starting to feel a little bit better

I did finally read fine print about "unworn" in the return policy on a different side of the page, so I guess that shoots that 15 day thing down. I still think they were rather trying to jack me with the trade-in value, esp since I purchased it from their store not long ago.

The watch actually does have a slight defect; the crown stud is slightly misaligned compared to the crown guards. I talked to a watch guru the other weekend and he said he had a GMT like this before and it was never a problem, nor did Rolex say anything when he sent it in for his overhaul.

Maybe I should just make peace with the watch and try to bond with it for a while.
It really is a great watch. Maybe you can get different bezels. A different color and look make show the watch in a whole new light to you
Old 19 September 2006, 07:49 AM   #22
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
I second the bezel change idea. You can tone down the flashiness of the watch by switching to a black or red/black insert. Maybe it'll speak to you more once you do this?
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 08:33 AM   #23
mike
"TRF" Member

Man that's a bummer!

My AD has the 30 day return policy,provided the sticker is intact. I agree with others--sounds like the AD is being a bit greedy.

I like the idea of getting a black insert--it does give the watch a totally different look.

For what it's worth the cyclops can be taken off--by someone who knows what their doing,it's just glued on.

It'll look like this

That's a 16750, but you get the idea.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 09:10 AM   #24
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Man that's a bummer!

My AD has the 30 day return policy,provided the sticker is intact. I agree with others--sounds like the AD is being a bit greedy.

I like the idea of getting a black insert--it does give the watch a totally different look.

For what it's worth the cyclops can be taken off--by someone who knows what their doing,it's just glued on.

It'll look like this

That's a 16750, but you get the idea.
That looks pretty good, bro
Old 19 September 2006, 09:31 AM   #25
ohsixx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Make a guess!
I would keep it. Something made you buy it to start with. Maybe you will return to your original thoughts over time.

BTW, I like the pepsi watch and it is on my list for future purchases.
ohsixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 09:40 AM   #26
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
That return price is nucking futs, man - some serious ripping off going on there.

I reckon your wife's right, though - the ND Sub definitely goes better with the GMT than the SD.
Old 19 September 2006, 09:48 AM   #27
TNRonin

Watch: 2000 SD
Get the black insert, that is a good looking watch like that.
TNRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 12:24 PM   #28
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I agree about changing the bezel insert. If you think the Pepsi is too bling (and I agree with you there), try the black. It is very understated. But please don't remove the cyclops. That is just plain ugly.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 12:34 PM   #29
amanda
Banned

Don't take a hit to the pocket of that amount of money. As suggested here get a black bezel, that will totally change the look of the watch... I think the removal of the cyclops is really neat too... great idea!

The GMT is more versatile than most Rolexs. I love it! Go the black, that will give you the SD vibe with minimal $ spent.

Mike - your GMT is magnificent!
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2006, 12:47 PM   #30
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
changing the insert does make you feel like you got a new watch, i know i loved mine even more when i changed it from black to red black.

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote