The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 January 2023, 06:30 AM   #1
Gaff65
"TRF" Member

How would RSC treat my 1680?

I inherited my Dad's 1979 vintage 1680 a year ago, and the watch is in need of a service...It's running fast and picks up a about a minute a day, and the crown or crown stem needs replacement. Sadly, the original dial was relumed by someone who didn't quite know what they were doing. I've thought of sending it to Ridley for an overhaul, and possible dial replacement with a NOS tritium dial. But how would RSC treat it? Would they replace the dial, and if so, with what?? Any thoughts from the experts here are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: A vintage tritium dial and new crown has been quoted to me at about $3K, but that does not include servicing, just replacing. I imagine RSC would charge me a similar amount for a service, but that's a guess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1680.jpg (42.5 KB, 385 views)
Gaff65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 06:39 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Rolex will replace the dial with the latest version that was available for the model in Luminova.
Old 15 January 2023, 06:49 AM   #3
1675-David
"TRF" Member

...and the hands
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 06:54 AM   #4
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't send it to RSC. Always a bad idea for vintage pieces. Find a reputable independent watchmaker for that beauty.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 07:02 AM   #5
4rnold
"TRF" Member

Very Nice watch

Depends on your AD, I've had vintage pieces serviced by my AD and it was perfect.

I did have a estimate upfront, and it stated explicitely no polish, no new dial,etc...

SO my opinion, if you have no papers for example, get it serviced trough rolex, so you get an authentification. If you have a thrustworthy dealer that is.

Otherwise, go to a reputable watch maker. Easy to find information about good watchmakers on this forum

Specifically in your case, if you want a nos matt dial or something, thats something Rolex won't do
Old 15 January 2023, 07:17 AM   #6
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
Send it to Phillip Ridley in Arizona.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 07:21 AM   #7
Gaff65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Send it to Phillip Ridley in Arizona.
I've communicated with him about this and if I send it to anyone, it will be him. The question is, spend a few grand to sort this one out or keep saving for a BLNR. If only I was made of money lol.
Old 15 January 2023, 07:25 AM   #8
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

If you're in SD, why not talk to Eric Ku's LA WatchWorks?
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 07:51 AM   #9
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

As noted, Rolex will replace dial and hands with authentic service parts with luminova. And they will generally not return the originals. I don’t think the cost would come close to $3k even including the service. More like half of that probably.

Period correct parts (not NOS) are expensive. Actual NOS dial and hands would be virtually unobtainable and extremely expensive.
Old 15 January 2023, 08:13 AM   #10
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Road trip from San Diego to LA WatchWorks or Ridley in Arizona would be my move to steer clear of potential shipping woes.
Old 15 January 2023, 08:39 AM   #11
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

I'd be in the car to Pasadena already to drop it off at LAWW. I would not replace the dial. I am sentimental and I'd ask for a sympathetic restoration for a vintage watch. I have had great luck at LAWW and like to avoid shipping heirlooms. They did my Grandpa's watch for me and I took it and picked it up in person. I live in the PNW. You can't replace certain things.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 08:50 AM   #12
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Normally I wouldn't recommend sending to RSC, but since your dial is relumed and has a later insert it may be worth it to get it swapped out with service parts to make it a bit more functional (e.g. working lume).
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 08:50 AM   #13
Gaff65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
I'd be in the car to Pasadena already to drop it off at LAWW. I would not replace the dial. I am sentimental and I'd ask for a sympathetic restoration for a vintage watch. I have had great luck at LAWW and like to avoid shipping heirlooms. They did my Grandpa's watch for me and I took it and picked it up in person. I live in the PNW. You can't replace certain things.
The relume on the dial drives me nuts cos the guy who did it was sloppy at the 12 o'clock mark and gave it a slightly rounded top. That's the only reason I am considering a vintage/correct tritium dial. What did you have done to your Grandfather's watch? What ref is it?
Old 15 January 2023, 08:53 AM   #14
Gaff65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
As noted, Rolex will replace dial and hands with authentic service parts with luminova. And they will generally not return the originals. I don’t think the cost would come close to $3k even including the service. More like half of that probably.

Period correct parts (not NOS) are expensive. Actual NOS dial and hands would be virtually unobtainable and extremely expensive.
Yes, I meant to say period correct, not NOS. Still learning the verbiage. $2500 for a beautiful period correct tritium dial is apparently a very good deal, but spending that much for a dial is still hard to swallow. Decisions, decisions.
Old 15 January 2023, 09:17 AM   #15
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaff65 View Post
The relume on the dial drives me nuts cos the guy who did it was sloppy at the 12 o'clock mark and gave it a slightly rounded top. That's the only reason I am considering a vintage/correct tritium dial. What did you have done to your Grandfather's watch? What ref is it?
Its a 60s diver, not a rolex.

They should be able to remove the old lume and redo it. Pics would help us out but they would be happy to advise you as well.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 09:28 AM   #16
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

You could have your dial relumed by alchemistrelumer
Old 15 January 2023, 09:47 AM   #17
SAAS
"TRF" Member

Check out Greg’s page true_patina on instagram he does dial and hand repairs along with service. There is a reel of dial repairs in his highlights as well.
SAAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 10:14 AM   #18
josephjesus23
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
josephjesus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 11:39 AM   #19
Gaff65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You could have your dial relumed by alchemistrelumer
I believe they're in the UK. I'm in SoCal. But thanks. I'm in London every year so perhaps I'll look them up.
Old 15 January 2023, 11:40 AM   #20
Gaff65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAS View Post
Check out Greg’s page true_patina on instagram he does dial and hand repairs along with service. There is a reel of dial repairs in his highlights as well.
Thanks! Just found him on IG and have sent him a message.
Old 15 January 2023, 03:36 PM   #21
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Damn. You are so close to the Ridley’s. You should look at their posts for the work they do. I’d bring her to him and let him tell you what is best. If I was on the west coast I’d have him redo three of my projects.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 07:23 PM   #22
joli160
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Keep the current dial, its part of the heirloom and the one your dad looked at many times. Just service it
Old 15 January 2023, 11:28 PM   #23
4rnold
"TRF" Member

I think you have to know what you want first, in consideration with the money you want to spend.

Make a list with all the possibilities
-Send it trough Rolex
-Send it trough Rolex without a replacing the dial, etc...
-Take it to an independent watchmaker, just a service...
-Take it to Laww or someone of the kind and give it a service or get a period correct dial
-Get it serviced and maybe relumed.

And note the prices accordingly

Then consider wat you want to do with the watch... do you want to wear it everyday? Is it a showcase piece? Just wear is occasional?

In a way you can consider sending it trough Rolex for example, the value is anyway considerably ruined (from a collector's point of view, altough it is still a valuable watch) since it has been poorly relumed. You get a functional dial from Rolex. I would only do this if it were a watch I would wear and never sell since it's from my father. Otherwise you will regret it once you sell it.
It will be waterproof, and altough I would not really swim with it, you can do all daily activities.

But since you post on this forum, I assume you care about authenticity etc, so it might bother you that the dial is a service dial.

But consider also this: if you send it trough LAWW for example and have it relumed, or pay for a period correct dial, you will pay A LOT, and you will end up with a safe queen. That will bother you also, I assume.

If I were you I would decide what I want to do with the watch and act accordingly
Old 15 January 2023, 11:29 PM   #24
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaff65 View Post
I've communicated with him about this and if I send it to anyone, it will be him. The question is, spend a few grand to sort this one out or keep saving for a BLNR. If only I was made of money lol.
I’d sent it to Ridley and keep the dial & hands that are currently in the watch. Looks good and has family history.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2023, 11:57 PM   #25
Jessiecopeland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rnold View Post
Very Nice watch

Depends on your AD, I've had vintage pieces serviced by my AD and it was perfect.

I did have a estimate upfront, and it stated explicitely no polish, no new dial,etc...

SO my opinion, if you have no papers for example, get it serviced trough rolex, so you get an authentification. If you have a thrustworthy dealer that is.

Otherwise, go to a reputable watch maker. Easy to find information about good watchmakers on this forum

Specifically in your case, if you want a nos matt dial or something, thats something Rolex won't do

You and I have unpopular ideas here. I would like to understand why so many people feel the opposite way.
I have seen many vintage pieces done perfectly to instructions.
Jessiecopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 12:49 AM   #26
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Old 16 January 2023, 05:56 AM   #27
Sub Capt.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERITAGE82 View Post
I’d sent it to Ridley and keep the dial & hands that are currently in the watch. Looks good and has family history.
Same! Don’t overthink it. Just service it and enjoy the hell out of it!
Sub Capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 06:29 AM   #28
physicist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Capt. View Post
Same! Don’t overthink it. Just service it and enjoy the hell out of it!
I totally agree with this sentiment. Service the movement and over the next couple years decide if you want to change anything. You might decide you are happy with it the way it is.
physicist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 08:52 AM   #29
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiecopeland View Post
You and I have unpopular ideas here. I would like to understand why so many people feel the opposite way.
I have seen many vintage pieces done perfectly to instructions.
Unpopular only for vintage. You also only joined the forum last month and I can assure you that the people that are responding in this particular thread are very knowledgeable regarding vintage watches and the exact people I would want to get advice from. Your advice to get certain things done at Rolex is appropriate for later references. Yes, you can get your watch serviced at Rolex and I did have them provide me with an estimate for work (1973 1675/3) when I was looking to get it serviced. They did charge an authentication fee of $260 and provided a list of necessary service items and optional items. So all parts that resided in my watch at the time were deemed authentic Rolex parts, at least from the authentication. I asked them not to replace dial or hands and not to polish the watch, which they agreed to.

However, in the end I went with Phillip Ridley because I wanted a period correct replacement for the bezel ring (not the insert). At that time, I was not confident in my own ability to source the part and had seen the wonderful work Phillip had done for so many others on this forum. He was also very easy to talk to and willing to answer all of my questions. Rolex was not very forthcoming on information and when I asked about specific things they pointed out in the estimate, those that responded to my questions were not knowledgeable enough to explain, as they were not watchmakers but sales associates. That part was quite frustrating.

If the OP wants to have a period correct dial sourced and is not confident in his own abilities to do so, Phillip will have connections or perhaps even have a dial and hands available for his reference. If the OP does not care about period correct parts at this point and would like functional lume plots and hands, then by all means go through Rolex as they will provide a new dial and hands. Perhaps not for the specific reference but they will be new and Rolex parts. Phillip also uses genuine Rolex parts and specializes in keeping vintage, vintage. So in the end it really depends on what the goals are. A sympathetic restoration or a resto-mod with functional Rolex parts and lumi-Nova lume plots.

Not trying to beat a dead horse but you seemed surprised in the other thread as well that people were not keen to send their vintage watch to Rolex and preferred an independent like the Ridleys. Like many have already said, Rolex wants the watch you receive back to be perfect. A nice polish to the case and new parts if necessary. They are not interested in vintage charm or collectability. There are plenty of threads where Rolex has ignored the directions and not communicated with the customer on changes they have made. I believe these instances to be few and far between but would rather put my trust in someone who specializes in vintage and can source Rolex parts or has an account. Rolex may change their tune given their new sales model selling second hand watches but it remains to be seen.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2023, 11:14 AM   #30
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I notice that one or two people in this thread seem to be conflating service by an AD and service by an RSC. It should be said that these are completely different things. If you want to have your watched serviced by Rolex, send it directly to an actual RSC, do not mess around with your AD. There is no upside, and lots of potential problems can result from that.

If you are explicitly aware that you AD has their own in-house watchmaker with a parts account and experience with vintage watches, and you want that watchmaker to service it, then that could potentially be a good approach. I'm sure there are some good examples of this around the world.

But in general, I don't really recommend a generic AD or the RSC for most vintage watches, especially for watches made prior to the 80s.