The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 January 2023, 08:03 AM   #1
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Help with a 1016

Hi guys,

Would like a bit of help with a 1016 I’m looking at please.
I think it’s an original mark V dial? Case is an 8.mill series from 1984- which the owner says was sold to him in 1991 (I guess they often st in shops for years back then). It is from original owner.

Any red flags you can see?
Unfortunately the seller can’t seem to take good photos despite me asking (which may be a red flag in itself).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 11:10 AM   #2
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
Looks fine to me from the photos but better pics would help. 8m serial from 1984 sold in 1991 is a little strange though…
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 06:26 PM   #3
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhuatai View Post
Looks fine to me from the photos but better pics would help. 8m serial from 1984 sold in 1991 is a little strange though…
Yeah I did think that. But in the 80s did the watches not sit around for a long time in shop safes or in windows! Though 7 years is a stretch!!

Anyone else with ay comments on the watch?
Old 17 January 2023, 09:34 PM   #4
XavierM
"TRF" Member

Hi,
I have recently found my 1016 after several months looking for a nice example, not the easiest reference to chase :)

These pictures are far from being sharp enough to give you a proper opinion but this looks like a Mk5 dial which would be period correct for this serial.
Is the seller in possession of a loupe and a UV light ? This could be a good start.

Bracelet endlinks seem to be service version. Have you asked about the watch service history ?
Do you have any information regarding the hands behavior in the dark ?

Before moving forward, keep in mind a full inspection of the dial to assess its quality and originality and sharp quality pictures showing engravings, caseback stamping, lume plots and hands is a must

Good luck :)
Old 17 January 2023, 10:55 PM   #5
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierM View Post
Hi,
I have recently found my 1016 after several months looking for a nice example, not the easiest reference to chase :)

These pictures are far from being sharp enough to give you a proper opinion but this looks like a Mk5 dial which would be period correct for this serial.
Is the seller in possession of a loupe and a UV light ? This could be a good start.

Bracelet endlinks seem to be service version. Have you asked about the watch service history ?
Do you have any information regarding the hands behavior in the dark ?

Before moving forward, keep in mind a full inspection of the dial to assess its quality and originality and sharp quality pictures showing engravings, caseback stamping, lume plots and hands is a must

Good luck :)

Thanks Xavier, you're right it is a difficult reference to find a great example!

The seller is the original owner who had the watch serviced by the AD he bought it from in 1997 and has the service guarantee, invoice and papers, which states 'Rolex perpetual service, pin to clasp, case dented'. The owner doesn't seem to be too much of a WIS so doesn't know what was done. He says the lure on the hands are dead.

Agree about inspection, but wanted to know what to be on the look out for!
Old 19 January 2023, 05:47 AM   #6
boring_sandwich
"TRF" Member

Looks like the one on Chrono24?
boring_sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2023, 05:56 AM   #7
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
Looks like the one on Chrono24?
Yeah it is... the photos do say chrono24 in the middle of them!