The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 30 January 2023, 05:43 AM   #1
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

AP CPO program?

"Audemars Piguet is entering the thriving second-hand market by launching its own certified pre-owned (CPO) program by the end of 2023, CEO François-Henry Bennahmias announced at a luxury recruitment conference in Paris this week. The initiative makes Audemars Piguet (AP) the second major luxury watch brand to invest in the pre-loved market after industry leader Rolex took the industry by surprise in December by announcing the roll-out of its own CPO initiative. "

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoAa2KVreuv/

Seemed inevitable after Rolex and then Patek made the first steps. Will be interesting to see the implementation details. E.g., in the Rolex case all the buying, holding and selling (incl. pricing) is handled by the individual ADs. One assumes that in AP's case this will be more coordinated across boutiques.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 06:00 AM   #2
only1swami
"TRF" Member

lets the games....begin. looking forward to the fine print

might be a good way for clients to offload pieces as needed after 1.5-2+ years directly to their boutiques versus grey

Shouldn't happen with every piece but if one wants to offload something that they're at peace with in favor of something closer to their grail pieces...
Old 30 January 2023, 06:50 AM   #3
Armis
"TRF" Member

RM also has a relatively smaller CPO program at different locations around the world. Although in the US it is only through Westime in California.
Urwerk offers preowned pieces through its website, but I believe CPO programs are across wider networks.
Interesting development either way.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 07:10 AM   #4
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Not sure how this all plays out. But I suspect this is attempt to buy back some of the gray inventory out there in circulation as they recognize prices are falling and want to stabilize prices to make retail price still seem attractive versus artificially inflated CPO prices
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 07:11 AM   #5
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
They have been talking about this forever. Wonder what caused them to move now and not many years ago?
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 07:52 AM   #6
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Very interesting.
In the last few days, I watched some old videos of FHB from SIHH in 2017/2018 and he was saying that they are actively looking into it. The biggest problem at that time was finding enough skilled watchmakers to service the watches as they start coming in.
Apparently they managed to scale up.

I'd imagine this will be done via the boutiques/houses.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 09:26 AM   #7
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
They have been talking about this forever. Wonder what caused them to move now and not many years ago?

Entirely a guess but maybe the crash in prices makes the CPO program more doable and easier to execute vs when prices were many multiples above retail which no one had any idea on how to manage the arbitrage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 10:11 AM   #8
LUDA
"TRF" Member

They told me about this at the AP House about 2 months ago, being done in a better and more fair way than what Rolex is doing for now.

Easier to get offered a new watch when you sell them back your old one, even if you could get more money elsewhere.
LUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 10:42 AM   #9
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Was aLeah’s under the impression that AP values customers that buy and hold their watches. Not sure how that view has changed with AP announcing CPO.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 12:19 PM   #10
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyness87 View Post
Was aLeah’s under the impression that AP values customers that buy and hold their watches. Not sure how that view has changed with AP announcing CPO.

As always the masters make the rules, of course it won’t matter if you “flip” your watches thru the CPO program. I’m sure this will be rewarded. Unfair sure , surprising nope

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 12:38 PM   #11
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
As always the masters make the rules, of course it won’t matter if you “flip” your watches thru the CPO program. I’m sure this will be rewarded. Unfair sure , surprising nope
Why not first see what the implementation looks like, before getting all worked up? I'd expect the terms to include a stipulation that the watch is X years old, discontinued or perhaps both (similar to the Rolex CPO program 3-yr cutoff).
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
Old 30 January 2023, 12:48 PM   #12
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Quote:

AP doesn't mind if you sell your watches... My SA even told me it's normal that your taste changes over time. How many of you actually got black listed by selling an AP/PP/Rolex, etc.? I sold a few, and I still get calls for watches.

I prefer to buy through a CPO program instead of grey. I avoid watching YT grey dealers channels, cringe... These people ruin the brand, at least for me. Yes, I can't generalise it, but unfortunately many of them follow a few popular channels. Who even wants to buy from these charlatans. From the moment they open their mouth I want to punch them in their face.
NTCP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 12:50 PM   #13
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTCP8 View Post
AP doesn't mind if you sell your watches... My SA even told me it's normal that your taste changes over time. How many of you actually got black listed by selling an AP/PP/Rolex, etc.? I sold a few, and I still get calls for watches.

I prefer to buy through a CPO program instead of grey. I avoid watching YT grey dealers channels, cringe... These people ruin the brand, at least for me. Yes, I can't generalise it, but unfortunately many of them follow a few popular channels. Who even wants to buy from these charlatans. From the moment they open their mouth I want to punch them in their face.

Whatever makes you comfortable seems like the CPO is for you then. Curious out it will turn out. But I know multiple people that got blacklisted by AP for selling a watch under 2 years of ownership

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 01:06 PM   #14
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Whatever makes you comfortable seems like the CPO is for you then. Curious out it will turn out. But I know multiple people that got blacklisted by AP for selling a watch under 2 years of ownership
NTCP8 will just bring his family lawyer to sue them for more watches...
Old 30 January 2023, 01:14 PM   #15
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
NTCP8 will just bring his family lawyer to sue them for more watches...
Yup, got it VogelPhoenix ;)

How's Taipei these days? AP A13 didn't let me in when I was there over New Year. Probably because I looked like I just had 72h drinking bender... Had to call AP HK to introduce me.
NTCP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 06:52 PM   #16
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
Not sure how this all plays out. But I suspect this is attempt to buy back some of the gray inventory out there in circulation as they recognize prices are falling and want to stabilize prices to make retail price still seem attractive versus artificially inflated CPO prices

This isn’t a knee jerk reaction to the market as it is today, this has been in the works since before the crazy market bubble.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2023, 07:07 PM   #17
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Happy to buy a code 1159 with 40% discount from a boutique haha
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 06:41 AM   #18
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
Happy to buy a code 1159 with 40% discount from a boutique haha

I am really interested to see how they price codes given that they are selling at huge discounts preowned. I still find it pretty weird to buy a preowned watch from the brand higher than MSRP.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 07:15 AM   #19
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post

I am really interested to see how they price codes given that they are selling at huge discounts preowned. I still find it pretty weird to buy a preowned watch from the brand higher than MSRP.
Which is pretty much the whole issue for both Rolex and now AP.

Buy a new xyz for £25,000 and wait 1/2/whatever months or years……OR buy a used CPO one for £40,000 today.

It’s just not a happy conversation for any brand in the luxury consumer goods market in my view.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 10:26 AM   #20
squall1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
It’s just not a happy conversation for any brand in the luxury consumer goods market in my view.
I have been wondering about this since the Rolex announcement. Has anyone been tracking of those CPO units are actually moving at the inflated prices?

A separate question, I wonder if AP will roll this out world wide or limit it regionally in some way.

Looking forward to the details.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 12:54 PM   #21
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:

Buy a new xyz for £25,000 and wait 1/2/whatever months or years……OR buy a used CPO one for £40,000 today.

I agree. It just doesn't look good.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 06:52 PM   #22
RiRi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Quote:

Either way, they can always argue that these items are scarce - whether due to technical / skill limitations or artificially limited ...

I don't think that it will be such a problem, as for certain buyers money > time and they will just snap it up - the others are perhaps happy to wait.
RiRi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 07:18 PM   #23
RiRi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
Did anyone recently hear more about the CPO? IIRC they wanted to start their programme end of year
RiRi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2023, 08:30 PM   #24
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
It will be next year.
FHB confirmed it in a recent interview.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2023, 10:25 AM   #25
Gandor
"TRF" Member

I feel like the only way AP can implement this without tanking the market is offering to buy back at MSRP or some kind of store credit type deal. A big portion of an APs resale value is in the blacklist.
Old 5 October 2023, 12:01 PM   #26
TopherMins
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post
I feel like the only way AP can implement this without tanking the market is offering to buy back at MSRP or some kind of store credit type deal. A big portion of an APs resale value is in the blacklist.

Richard Mille CPO will buy your watch back at 90% what you paid but then you are able to jump the list for a harder to get piece. Assuming AP will do something similar.

TopherMins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 01:27 AM   #27
IGY
"TRF" Member

I really like the sound of that kind of part exchange arrangement. Of course the devil is in the detail: 90% sounds reasonable whereas clearly 50% does not. In between those... well somewhere the equation flips from the consumers' point of view.

Of course, you can keep your AP(s) and buy another AP, or you can burn your bridges with AP and sell elsewhere if you want to unload. But in principle / general terms, I like the sound of this kind of agreement. It strongly incentivises people being favoured with allocations of rare watches not to flip for a fast buck.
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 04:29 AM   #28
messikens
"TRF" Member

IMO this can never really work well and the customer will always feel screwed.

You have such a wide discrepancy between offerings where a Code (QP or otherwise) trades at ~40% discount while a CE skeleton trades at a 150% premium of MSRP.

The only way you solve it consistently is to either screw the seller by offering cents on the dollar OR pricing your pre-owned desired pieces above MSRP, which is basically telling a new client "you'll never get this piece period".

CPO buy-backs are terrible for in-house management because of the customer perception
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 04:46 AM   #29
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
IMO this can never really work well and the customer will always feel screwed.

You have such a wide discrepancy between offerings where a Code (QP or otherwise) trades at ~40% discount while a CE skeleton trades at a 150% premium of MSRP.

The only way you solve it consistently is to either screw the seller by offering cents on the dollar OR pricing your pre-owned desired pieces above MSRP, which is basically telling a new client "you'll never get this piece period".

CPO buy-backs are terrible for in-house management because of the customer perception
No customer is walking into an AP boutique not understanding the market value of the watches vs MSRP.
Old 6 October 2023, 05:58 AM   #30
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Should work ok if ap is smart. They will know which watches are worth what and price accordingly. Buyers may pay a bit more for cpo but have piece of mind from manufacturer. Also, perception I would think would be stronger for a cpo watch than non-cpo all else equal.
Turbo Racer is offline   Reply With Quote