The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 13 February 2023, 07:11 PM   #1
olivdobs
"TRF" Member

Rolex Oyster Royalite Observatory

Hi Everyone,

Hoping to get some idea on the value of my vintage Rolex Oyster Royalite Observatory. I've attached some images below, the watch is going in for a restoration and service (the vintage look will be retained post-work).

With the watch, I also have plenty of provenance. The gentleman who bought this back in the 40's was a soldier. During his ownership, the watch broke - I have a letter from him to Rolex and a response from Rolex. Given the sentimental value and the importance of the watch (the letter to Rolex reads that this was the only watch to continue working during a WWII bombing raid), Rolex ended up fixing the watch for free. Alongside this communication, I have plenty of images of the man who used to own the watch.

It's a tiny little thing but one with a great story.

I'm not thinking of selling but keen to understand where the value lies. Any information on this (or just on the watch in general) would be amazing.

Thanks,

Oli
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_04.jpg (291.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex_03.jpg (279.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex_02.jpg (261.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex_01.jpg (281.5 KB, 111 views)
olivdobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2023, 01:32 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Fun watch. IMO, the value is almost entirely associated with the history/provenance, and that is extremely hard to judge, I wouldn't even want to guess. The family of the original owner would obviously put a great deal of value on it, but would a stranger really pay a lot because of the story? I'm not sure, TBH. I think many collectors would like to own it, but I don't know if they would pay a lot for it. The only way to know would be to put it in a good auction. Also, unfortunately, I suspect that the value of this particular provenance will not necessarily increase with time.
Old 14 February 2023, 04:31 AM   #3
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Sorry for the likely obvious answer, but would this be considered a bubble back?
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2023, 05:57 AM   #4
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Sorry for the likely obvious answer, but would this be considered a bubble back?
Bubble back era, but not bubble back as this is strictly a mechanical watch and does not necessitate the bubble in the caseback to accommodate the rotor. As is necessary for the self-winding mechanism.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2023, 12:17 PM   #5
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivdobs View Post
Hi Everyone,

Hoping to get some idea on the value of my vintage Rolex Oyster Royalite Observatory. I've attached some images below, the watch is going in for a restoration and service (the vintage look will be retained post-work).

With the watch, I also have plenty of provenance. The gentleman who bought this back in the 40's was a soldier. During his ownership, the watch broke - I have a letter from him to Rolex and a response from Rolex. Given the sentimental value and the importance of the watch (the letter to Rolex reads that this was the only watch to continue working during a WWII bombing raid), Rolex ended up fixing the watch for free. Alongside this communication, I have plenty of images of the man who used to own the watch.

It's a tiny little thing but one with a great story.

I'm not thinking of selling but keen to understand where the value lies. Any information on this (or just on the watch in general) would be amazing.

Thanks,

Oli
Super cool watch! Great to have the History. Love the red 24 hour track. Reminds me of my Lipton.

Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote