The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 10 July 2023, 07:25 PM   #1
SpecialK888
"TRF" Member

Royal Oak - No Micro Adjust

I know this is the AP Forum (I am hoping / trying to add an AP to the collection) but I have just acquired the new IWC Ingenieur, which I think is one of the first available as I have a good IWC relationship. Anyway, not looking to debate the Ingenieur, yes it is expensive for an IWC but in the flesh I can assure you it is a beautiful well crafted watch.

My question is around bracelet comfort. Like the Royal Oak, the IWC has no micro adjust. This is my first bracelet watch with no micro adjust and I guess I've only just realised what a valuable feature this is, particularly given the current time of year and wrist swelling.

Whilst the VC Overseas and the newer Nautilus have micro-adjust I note that the RO doesn't. Although the IWC has a really easy link change system, it's not convenient and therefore my choice currently is either a too loose fitting or a fitting that is ok most of the day, but too tight during the hottest part of the day.

My question to RO owners, do you experience this lack of comfort at times with your watches and is this something that you just accept as part of the ownership experience of a RO?

I really do like the IWC, but I'm trying to work out whether this is something I will get used to or whether it will be a irritation that will overshadow the joy of ownership.

Thanks
SpecialK888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 07:31 PM   #2
KJBrandal
"TRF" Member

So this goes for both Royal Oak's and Nautilus', 1.5 links are available. So if you are in-between for a perfect fit you can purchase this directly from the boutique or service center.
Omega: 2200.50.00
KJBrandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 08:04 PM   #3
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrandal View Post
So this goes for both Royal Oak's and Nautilus', 1.5 links are available. So if you are in-between for a perfect fit you can purchase this directly from the boutique or service center.
The new Nautilus comes with microadjust.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 08:27 PM   #4
KJBrandal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
The new Nautilus comes with microadjust.
Yes, was thinking of older models without, you can add the 1.5
Omega: 2200.50.00
KJBrandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 09:43 PM   #5
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
I currently own two Royal Oak chronographs and I think there are a couple of adjustments that you make in comparison to other watches. First, I do suggest buying a 1.5 link with any RO watch. For a watch that expensive without a micro-adjusting clasp it should be included IMHO but that’s not happening. Second, I’d adjust the links so that the fit is just a little more loose than maybe typical. The RO bracelets aren’t as flexible as most so they wear a little differently and this allows room for a little wrist expansion from day to day. It may seem a little weird at first but you get used to it and it becomes normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 09:43 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The lack of adjustment in a bracelet impacts my decision to purchase or not. Fit is important to me and it is one of the reasons I moved away from the Rolex DD.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 10:33 PM   #7
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
1.5 is free for anyone buying a RO. It’s not included but it took me 15h between order to adjustment.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 10:56 PM   #8
bullies
"TRF" Member

I had to order a 1.5 link for my 15400, which was easily done through email with Clearwater for around $300. Once I added it the fit was perfect.

I would assume IWC has different sized links too...
AP 15400
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 11:03 PM   #9
SpecialK888
"TRF" Member

Thank you. So I think you are saying that having the watch ever so slightly loose works all year round even factoring in a bit of seasonal wrist expansion. Perhaps my IWC is currently only falling between too tight and too loose so I need to explore extra links to get the fit that should work all year.
Old 10 July 2023, 11:04 PM   #10
SpecialK888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
I currently own two Royal Oak chronographs and I think there are a couple of adjustments that you make in comparison to other watches. First, I do suggest buying a 1.5 link with any RO watch. For a watch that expensive without a micro-adjusting clasp it should be included IMHO but that’s not happening. Second, I’d adjust the links so that the fit is just a little more loose than maybe typical. The RO bracelets aren’t as flexible as most so they wear a little differently and this allows room for a little wrist expansion from day to day. It may seem a little weird at first but you get used to it and it becomes normal.

Sorry, that was meant to be a reply to this message (still getting used to the forum posting options).

Thank you. So I think you are saying that having the watch ever so slightly loose works all year round even factoring in a bit of seasonal wrist expansion. Perhaps my IWC is currently only falling between too tight and too loose so I need to explore extra links to get the fit that should work all year.
Old 10 July 2023, 11:06 PM   #11
SpecialK888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
The lack of adjustment in a bracelet impacts my decision to purchase or not. Fit is important to me and it is one of the reasons I moved away from the Rolex DD.
Agreed. I don't think I ever realised how important a micro adjust was until it wasn't there. I have Rolex with micro adjust and I only tend to use the feature a few times a year, but I really appreciate it now.
Old 11 July 2023, 02:07 AM   #12
dr.ns23
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK888 View Post
I know this is the AP Forum (I am hoping / trying to add an AP to the collection) but I have just acquired the new IWC Ingenieur, which I think is one of the first available as I have a good IWC relationship. Anyway, not looking to debate the Ingenieur, yes it is expensive for an IWC but in the flesh I can assure you it is a beautiful well crafted watch.

My question is around bracelet comfort. Like the Royal Oak, the IWC has no micro adjust. This is my first bracelet watch with no micro adjust and I guess I've only just realised what a valuable feature this is, particularly given the current time of year and wrist swelling.

Whilst the VC Overseas and the newer Nautilus have micro-adjust I note that the RO doesn't. Although the IWC has a really easy link change system, it's not convenient and therefore my choice currently is either a too loose fitting or a fitting that is ok most of the day, but too tight during the hottest part of the day.

My question to RO owners, do you experience this lack of comfort at times with your watches and is this something that you just accept as part of the ownership experience of a RO?

I really do like the IWC, but I'm trying to work out whether this is something I will get used to or whether it will be a irritation that will overshadow the joy of ownership.

Thanks
Congratulations on your new purchase. I love the new Ingenieur and I am waiting for the black one. Can you please share some pictures with us? Unboxing, wrist shots etc!
Regarding your question, I read in the link below that IWC will be offering a clasp with micro adjustment for the new Ingenieur as a second option. I guess your best bet is to reach out to the boutique and ask them for this clasp.
Please keep me posted if you managed to get it from the boutique.
The link and video:
https://www.watchadvisor.com/iwc-sch...-is-available/
Old 11 July 2023, 03:49 AM   #13
SpecialK888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ns23 View Post
Congratulations on your new purchase. I love the new Ingenieur and I am waiting for the black one. Can you please share some pictures with us? Unboxing, wrist shots etc!
Regarding your question, I read in the link below that IWC will be offering a clasp with micro adjustment for the new Ingenieur as a second option. I guess your best bet is to reach out to the boutique and ask them for this clasp.
Please keep me posted if you managed to get it from the boutique.
The link and video:
https://www.watchadvisor.com/iwc-sch...-is-available/
I don't want to be trolled for hijacking the AP forum to talk about an IWC so I will post something on the appropriate forum. Yes, I did see that adjustable clasp video and was unimpressed as it looks like an after thought and mitigates the otherwise beautiful bracelet. Based on other responses received I'm going to go back into the AD and insist on some additional links (full and half) and try and get a better fit.
Old 11 July 2023, 11:16 PM   #14
Qimchi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Everything
I usually eat or dump more to fit to AP bracelet.

Listen to the expert...I find eating easier. Drinking lotsa beers helped as well.
Qimchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 09:48 AM   #15
Emery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qimchi View Post
I usually eat or dump more to fit to AP bracelet.

Listen to the expert...I find eating easier. Drinking lotsa beers helped as well.
The age old adage - add, not subtract.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 09:33 PM   #16
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK888 View Post
Sorry, that was meant to be a reply to this message (still getting used to the forum posting options).

To me personally it is the best solution available. So to fine tune fit, get a 1.5 link and that will give you a little more choice in ultimate bracelet size. Wearing it say a half link larger than you might normally wear it should give you a stable and comfortable fit for the day to day wrist size changes without adding or removing links.

srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 09:45 PM   #17
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Personally, I use my glidelock once or twice a year. So, I don't understand this obsession with micro-adjust bracelets. I much prefer a thinner and more elegant clasp. YMMV.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote