The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 18 July 2023, 07:11 AM   #1
brigadoonb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Selling to an AD

Looking for feedback from people who have sold watches to their AD.

Roughly, how was your sale price compared to Chrono24? 70…80…90% of Chrono24? I know Chrono24 is overpriced but just want to get a feeling on pricing and would you have received more just selling online here?

Did you get a sale or trade value? Was trade value 5…10…15% more than sale price?

If you traded, does it work towards other watch price and it’s taxes….similar to trading in a car?

Was this prior to CPO or after?

Thanks everyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brigadoonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 07:20 AM   #2
Podmornica
Banned

You will be offered around 30-50% OFF the prices you see on Chrono24. That is, in case they are willing to pay you in cash. Most of them will only take your watch for a consignment.
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 08:05 AM   #3
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Depends - my AD gave me back what I paid towards the next one.
Old 18 July 2023, 08:27 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Generally, in the US, if you trade a watch for a new one and there is a cash difference still owed, you only pay tax on the cash paid. Swap value is not taxable. There is a markup in the used watch market prices from cost (what they pay you), so expect any trade value or cash to reflect that. The mark-up can be anywhere from 15% to 50% depending on the watch and the used market demand for it.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 08:31 AM   #5
DJFanUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I recently part exd a watch that I bought from my AD after 18 months of ownership. They gave me exactly what I paid for it against another Rolex. They liked the fact that it had been worn and not left in the safe.
Old 18 July 2023, 08:40 AM   #6
JSol1

I’ve traded twice. The first was during the height of the hype and they gave me $500 less that Bobs offered and the second they gave me what I paid for it.
Both were credits for other Rolexes.
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 08:59 AM   #7
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFanUK View Post
I recently part exd a watch that I bought from my AD after 18 months of ownership. They gave me exactly what I paid for it against another Rolex. They liked the fact that it had been worn and not left in the safe.

Was that at a large chain in the uk or an independent? Always dismissed trading in here and sold privately but may go the AD route next time.
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2023, 11:40 AM   #8
train-time

In my State the sales tax is based on the cost of the item sold and not on the net amount if you traded something against the item unless it's an automobile. If you traded a watch in on the purchase the trade value is treated as a part of the payment and does not reduce the sales tax liability as it does on an automobile. Autos traded in have a special State sales tax exemption that allows the trade credit to offset part of the sales tax liability. The tax is based on the net difference for an automobile. Not the case for trading a watch. The watches value is treated as a method of payment. This is how my AD treats trades and the value does not reduce the sales tax.

Incidentally, this auto trade tax exemption wasn't always allowed until recently in my State and prior to them implementing the credit I usually would sell my vehicles outright because I could get more and there was no tax advantage.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2023, 12:04 AM   #9
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Generally, in the US, if you trade a watch for a new one and there is a cash difference still owed, you only pay tax on the cash paid. Swap value is not taxable. There is a markup in the used watch market prices from cost (what they pay you), so expect any trade value or cash to reflect that. The mark-up can be anywhere from 15% to 50% depending on the watch and the used market demand for it.
Highly varies depending on the state. This is not the case in California, where you pay the full sales tax owed for the new purchase, regardless of trade-in or outright purchase.
Old 21 July 2023, 02:57 AM   #10
newenglander
"TRF" Member

Watch: appreciator
i think the main determining factor of value would be the condition of the watch and packaging/paperwork.
newenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2023, 03:01 AM   #11
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglander View Post
i think the main determining factor of value would be the condition of the watch and packaging/paperwork.
Welcome to the forum
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote