The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 August 2009, 11:16 PM   #1
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Tiffany branded watches ?

Does anyone have a view on Tiffany branded Rolex watches. I have seen a couple now in various for sale sites and the seller is obviously talking up the Tiffany branded aspect and consequent rarity.

Does this branding actually increase their value? Are they more collectible than an exact same watch but without the branding?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts here.

mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2009, 11:23 PM   #2
bishonen1

So called "co-branded" watches do command a permium in the market, and are highly collectable. Due to the value, the problem with fakes is prevalent.
bishonen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2009, 11:31 PM   #3
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
The problem with fakes is prevalent in all Rolex models, isn't it? But we won't go there.
DadsWatch72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2009, 12:19 AM   #4
bishonen1

My meaning of the word "fake" is that the watch is a genuine Rolex, but has a spurious co-brand name like Tiffany or Cartier added to the watch dial.
bishonen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2009, 12:23 AM   #5
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
It's the same watch, but was sold to T&C who then added their logo to the dial. These watches do command a premium, however most collectors like to see some kind of documentation from T&C or Rolex to show that it truly is a legit T&C dial. As with most older pieces, the sport models will command a much higher premium than the DJ which may only get a few more hundred.
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2009, 12:30 AM   #6
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
As a collector of vintage Rolex co branded watches only get a premium if the correct paperwork is with the watch.The name Tiffany for example was added by Tiffany.There is no way to tell without documentation that somebody else didnt add the word Tiffany(The fonts were not always the same etc.).Therefore it is easy for someone to take a regular dial and add another name to it and ask a premium.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2009, 12:37 AM   #7
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
As a collector of vintage Rolex co branded watches only get a premium if the correct paperwork is with the watch.The name Tiffany for example was added by Tiffany.There is no way to tell without documentation that somebody else didnt add the word Tiffany(The fonts were not always the same etc.).Therefore it is easy for someone to take a regular dial and add another name to it and ask a premium.
Spot on. While some co-branded examples carried a mark (usually on the case or lugs) Tiffany references did not. Documentation is critical to the collector.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2009, 08:32 AM   #8
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the comments.

So beware a co branded watch without any documentation - but co branded, with authentic documentation would probably go for a premium, especially the sports models.

Not rocket science but always nice to have confirmed by the collective experience here, thanks.
Old 31 August 2009, 08:51 PM   #9
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Question Mike.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Spot on. While some co-branded examples carried a mark (usually on the case or lugs) Tiffany references did not. Documentation is critical to the collector.
Not wanting to hijack this thread but I was recently looking at a nice 16750, early '80s, matte dial with Tiffany on the dial, however no papers with it. This was a reputable vintage dealer in Hong Kong, he was not asking outrageous pricing. Actually it was the same price as a '70s 1675......he always gives a guarantee with the watch if u take it to Rolex and there is a problem.

My question....is this normal for a no paper 16750 Tiffany?? Was there a certain year range that Tiffany did this to Rolex watches?
Old 31 August 2009, 09:50 PM   #10
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyjet601 View Post
Not wanting to hijack this thread but I was recently looking at a nice 16750, early '80s, matte dial with Tiffany on the dial, however no papers with it. This was a reputable vintage dealer in Hong Kong, he was not asking outrageous pricing. Actually it was the same price as a '70s 1675......he always gives a guarantee with the watch if u take it to Rolex and there is a problem. My question....is this normal for a no paper 16750 Tiffany?? Was there a certain year range that Tiffany did this to Rolex watches?
IMHO on ebay in HK there are a LOT of refinished dials coming out of there, ie early Explorer/Tudor Ranger etc. so pls take care

also since starting this thread I have found this site re Tiffany dials which may provide some reading for those interested http://rolex.watchprosite.com/show-n...ost/ti-478476/
Old 1 September 2009, 12:18 AM   #11
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I can remember seeing a couple of Daytona's in the spring of 1980 in New York, seems like the 18Kt gold was around $2K. Wonder what it would sell for today?
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2009, 03:32 AM   #12
mgm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
The obvious question arises; if it is easy to forge a dial, why not documents?
Old 1 September 2009, 11:55 AM   #13
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjp6 View Post
IMHO on ebay in HK there are a LOT of refinished dials coming out of there, ie early Explorer/Tudor Ranger etc. so pls take care

also since starting this thread I have found this site re Tiffany dials which may provide some reading for those interested http://rolex.watchprosite.com/show-n...ost/ti-478476/

Fortuntely this 16750 is not on ebay...its a shop I have dealt with in the past in Kowloon....

Great read about Tiffany's...thanks
Old 1 September 2009, 11:57 AM   #14
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm View Post
They do that to.Its buyer beware these days.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2009, 06:38 PM   #15
thekwaze
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1946 Breitling
Tiffany Submariner

Hi - I'm a new kid to this forum and have collected a variety of watches over the years from Cartier, Oris, Breitling, Omega and.....Tiffany & Co.
Sorry, no Rolex yet, but one shall be mine....it's choosing the right one!
Anyway, my query is:
Has anyone ever owned or seen a Tiffany Submariner?
No, not the Rolex one, but this one is actually made by Tiffany and is quite similar in appearance to the Rolex, although not identical.
I bought one on a whim a few years ago off Ebay and have investigated since, with little success, so I'm quite pleased that it seems rare!
It's quartz, so not very old and I got it without a strap, so I fitted an Oris style rubber strap.
If anyone has any info, or would like to see a photograph, please let me know.
thekwaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2009, 10:52 PM   #16
malolo

I like co-branded Rolex. Since it is only selling in North America, is it more easy to see them in US' vintage market or vintage Rolex shops?

Can any brothers in US can answer?
malolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2009, 12:22 AM   #17
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm View Post
Greg,

Some of the fakes comong out now are very good indeed. One must do their homework before committing. As to documents, it's common to find vintage pieces across the spectrum without their original B&P.

Back in the day many sets were simply thrown away....who wore a box?

Who could have forseen what was coming in the vintage arena and the premium placed on examples that had "all the bits".

There are stories of COMEX watches being issued and the owners tossing the B&P.

If only we had known.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote