The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 January 2024, 02:25 AM   #1
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Guy falls out of love with Rolex

Interesting video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpZrJ8nnM4s

Cliff notes for those who don't have 20 minutes to burn:
- Guy buys his grail (TT chocolate YM, loves it!)
- Buys a few more Rolex watches
- The period of hype/scarcity/popularity hits...
- Now it's a PITA to buy Rolex
- Buys one purely due to FOMO
- Now realizes Rolex is not all that

He's not anti-Rolex but has come to see the hype and marketing more clearly. I thought an interesting point is that we no longer have time to sleep on the purchase decision. With any other big ticket item (eg. vehicle) there is time to consider & plan. With Rolex there may not even be an opportunity to try on the watch and when "the call" comes the decision must be immediate.

Now when friends ask "What Rolex should I buy" he answers with Explorer. (Or OP/DJ if Exp not available.) That's a good basic watch that is still all Rolex but comes with minimal hype.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 04:54 AM   #2
Pablito
"TRF" Member

I found it very interesting too. I might be in this kind of mindset right now and I realize I'm a bit done with that game. Ok, Easier to say when you feel accomplished in your Rolex collection, but I find myself looking lots of brands these time, and not a single Rolex.
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 04:58 AM   #3
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
By coincidence I saw that today, too.

He complains about the service cost, saying he didn’t anticipate it. It’s an automatic watch. Others can chime in, but doesn’t Rolex charge relatively less for a service than Patek, VC, etc.?

Yes, Rolex is, objectively, expensive for what you get. I don’t doubt that for a moment. But, that being said, I’ve worn mine daily for over 20 years, which is a relatively short period of time compared to how long some of you guys have worn your watches. I personally know a couple of guys who’ve had and worn their Pepsi GMTs for much longer.

I don’t believe any other watch would’ve lasted as long on my wrist. I picked up a Cartier years ago at a shop, and it felt very flimsy compared to my Rolex. The SS bracelet was much lighter. Objectively, though, the Cartier is a more beautiful watch than my Rolex. When I was shopping for my “nice” watch, most women’s watches had quartz movements only. Even the Patek Twenty-4 was quartz back then, and cost significantly more than my Rolex. Over the decades, more watchmakers have been offering automatic movements in ladies’ sized watches.

He also criticized Rolex for its styling. That’s subjective, and we’ve seen the flip out here when Rolex added another 1mm to the Sub. It is nice to have a corporate “look,” so you know what the watch is. Cars used to be more distinctive in design. Pretty much every SUV looks the same now. I didn’t get my Rolex for flash or fashion, and I’m not sick of looking at my watch. That’s why 50 year old Rolex watches still look great. It’s called timeless design.

There are certainly excellent watches that cost less than a Rolex, and are just as or more durable. Rolex isn’t on the cutting edge of design, and it’s not the most expensive watch. It is more expensive to maintain than a quartz watch. I also think it’s very annoying that you can’t walk into the store and buy one (as I did). I think every Rolex owner knows these things pointed out in the video.

The internet etc. makes everything extreme, with no middle position. Either you’re in the “Rolex is overpriced junk” camp or a “Rolex fanboy.” I take a more moderate approach, and I think most Rolex owners do.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 05:04 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Some people want them to be more than watches. When they finally do realize they are only watches, it can be quite disappointing.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 05:06 AM   #5
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
I'm pretty much there after 25 yrs of collecting mainly Rolex.

Dealing with these larger multi location/chain ADs is nothing like dealing with a family owned AD.

Sad. In the process of putting a lot of pieces on consignment or trading multiple pieces for a Patek, AP, VC, or Lange.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 05:09 AM   #6
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Some people want them to be more than watches. When they finally do realize they are only watches, it can be quite disappointing.
For me these watches marked significant times / achievements over the years. Like jewelry, vacations, cars are for some.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 05:18 AM   #7
rolesor2022
Banned

Just remember... There is Rolex and nothing else.
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 06:12 AM   #8
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolesor2022 View Post
Just remember... There is Rolex and nothing else.
and if there is nothing in the Rolex cases does that mean there is absolutely nothing at all then
Old 10 January 2024, 06:53 AM   #9
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I can see his POV, but I really came to Rolex on accident based on not loving what Omega had to offer.

The classic designs hooked me and the build quality was so much better than Omega. When you put the bracelet on you can tell it feels different.

I'm hoping a lot of people feel this way and ones that remain get to have the pieces they want a little bit sooner.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 06:55 AM   #10
OTX
"TRF" Member

I think many people spend too much time chasing the next watch they never really enjoy what they have. They end up burning out on the brand. Sure there other watch brands that are just as well made but from my experience owing over 100 watches over the last few years, Rolex makes the most durable watch in the business!. That’s gotta be worth something.
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 06:55 AM   #11
OTX
"TRF" Member

I think many people spend too much time chasing the next watch they never really enjoy what they have. They end up burning out on the brand. Sure there other watch brands that are just as well made but from my experience owing over 100 watches over the last few years, Rolex makes the most durable watch in the business!. That’s gotta be worth something.
OTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 06:57 AM   #12
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Guy falls out of love with Rolex

This Guy Fell In Love w/ Rolex and is Still In LOVE!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 07:09 AM   #13
GradyPhilpott

Watch: Tissot Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
The internet etc. makes everything extreme, with no middle position. Either you’re in the “Rolex is overpriced junk” camp or a “Rolex fanboy.” I take a more moderate approach, and I think most Rolex owners do.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 03:55 PM   #14
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Typical horological loop outlined by Ben Clymer years ago: you start with Rolex then you realize there's a lot more than Rolex and you lose interest in Rolex. Then you go back to Rolex realizing they were making a pretty decent watch.

In short, he'll be back.
Old 10 January 2024, 04:02 PM   #15
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Interesting video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpZrJ8nnM4s

I thought an interesting point is that we no longer have time to sleep on the purchase decision. With any other big ticket item (eg. vehicle) there is time to consider & plan.
Wait. Didn't you register interest in the watch? I have the opposite problem: I have way too many nights to sleep on my decision! I still haven't gotten the call.

Now if my AD calls me for something I didn't ask for (a nice problem to have, btw), just say yes and tell him you'll come to check it out. You can try it on and change your mind, if it's not what you expected.

So, needless to say, I didn't get that point in the video.
Old 10 January 2024, 06:21 PM   #16
majidessa
"TRF" Member

In respect of watch collecting especially Rolex, there are few factors that should be taken into account. Such as how long a person has been into the watch hobby, my relation with Rolex started 20 years ago (my 1st watch), the second one was in 2016, as my income increased, my collection increased as well, today I own 5 Rolex watches and I would like to add more. I also own many watches from other brands as well.

What I want to say, is some new collectors were mostly influenced by the hype. And they went out and bought too many Rolex watches in short span of time without being true watch collectors. Also, AD games and scarcity have led many to buy watches without giving much thought.

On the other hand, Rolex took advantage of the situation and their watches at MSRP have become too expensive along with their service costs.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 06:46 PM   #17
dlddrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, DD, BLNR, ND
People fall in and out of love with different brands all the time. I didn’t watch the video but I hardly think it’s news worth reporting.
dlddrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 07:36 PM   #18
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Bloke posts video talking about himself. Some people call that content creation. I can think of a shorter description.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 07:42 PM   #19
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:

He complains about the service cost, saying he didn’t anticipate it. It’s an automatic watch. Others can chime in, but doesn’t Rolex charge relatively less for a service than Patek, VC, etc.?

Yes, Rolex is, objectively, expensive for what you get. I don’t doubt that for a moment. But, that being said, I’ve worn mine daily for over 20 years, which is a relatively short period of time compared to how long some of you guys have worn your watches. I personally know a couple of guys who’ve had and worn their Pepsi GMTs for much longer.

I don’t believe any other watch would’ve lasted as long on my wrist. I picked up a Cartier years ago at a shop, and it felt very flimsy compared to my Rolex. The SS bracelet was much lighter. Objectively, though, the Cartier is a more beautiful watch than my Rolex. When I was shopping for my “nice” watch, most women’s watches had quartz movements only. Even the Patek Twenty-4 was quartz back then, and cost significantly more than my Rolex. Over the decades, more watchmakers have been offering automatic movements in ladies’ sized watches.

He also criticized Rolex for its styling. That’s subjective, and we’ve seen the flip out here when Rolex added another 1mm to the Sub. It is nice to have a corporate “look,” so you know what the watch is. Cars used to be more distinctive in design. Pretty much every SUV looks the same now. I didn’t get my Rolex for flash or fashion, and I’m not sick of looking at my watch. That’s why 50 year old Rolex watches still look great. It’s called timeless design.

There are certainly excellent watches that cost less than a Rolex, and are just as or more durable. Rolex isn’t on the cutting edge of design, and it’s not the most expensive watch. It is more expensive to maintain than a quartz watch. I also think it’s very annoying that you can’t walk into the store and buy one (as I did). I think every Rolex owner knows these things pointed out in the video.

A well considered and very well written post.
Number3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 09:12 PM   #20
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post

Cliff notes for those who don't have 20 minutes to burn:
- Guy buys his grail (TT chocolate YM, loves it!)
- Buys a few more Rolex watches
- The period of hype/scarcity/popularity hits...
- Now it's a PITA to buy Rolex
- Buys one purely due to FOMO
- Now realizes Rolex is not all that

He's not anti-Rolex but has come to see the hype and marketing more clearly. I thought an interesting point is that we no longer have time to sleep on the purchase decision. With any other big ticket item (eg. vehicle) there is time to consider & plan. With Rolex there may not even be an opportunity to try on the watch and when "the call" comes the decision must be immediate.

Now when friends ask "What Rolex should I buy" he answers with Explorer. (Or OP/DJ if Exp not available.) That's a good basic watch that is still all Rolex but comes with minimal hype.
I came to the same conclusion without buying all those watches....yet he's the one handing out advice on the internet.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 09:31 PM   #21
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I agree, but even he is moderate. I inferred from the video that he's saying he may not recommend it being the first watch and that there are other brands out there delivering other value propositions that may be better in some ways.

From an absolute standpoint, not accounting for the intangible aspect of branding and feeling, Rolex is expensive for what you get and so is Tudor, Grand Seiko, AP, Patek. Majority of it is robotically machined out of $350 worth of stainless steel. But from a relative standpoint, the branding is one of the unholy trinities - Rolex, AP, Patek - and its price gouging has not been as egregious as the other two. From a value retention standpoint, it's also the easiest and cheapest to trade out of.

Service - it's a mechanical watch - finding out service costs of one of the most reliable... it's not a big deal.

I don't think it's subjective that Rolexes have become more flashy. There's a couple parts to that. They've increased in size, added more polished and light brushed edges, ceramic. They are much more flashy than they used to be. They also cost much more and more people are purchasing them with the understanding that they are jewelry. Rolex itself placed its dealer network with jewelers. This was all intentional and i think it helped justify price increases. Also the general public awareness of many models has continued to grow. Look up watch robberies, killings and majority will be Rolex related. Some diamond watch related, some AP and even Patek now. You'll never catch a Grand Seiko in there.

I personally don't associate modern Rolexes with wealth. Where I am, I feel you managed to save some money and decided not to spend it on a used hyundai (two tone datejust), new fiat 500 (stainless sports GMT) or new Toyota Sienna (Rolex day date with some diamonds). $10k is not enough to pay closing costs where I am. 100k is not enough to even put down payment on a house where I live. So, after years of wearing a Rolex, i don't associate it with wealth. It's just a more expensive toy. Nowhere close to being the most expensive toy you can possibly buy.

Quote:

SLWoodster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 09:35 PM   #22
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Good riddance, one person less on the waiting lists.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 10:17 PM   #23
Phil8352
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
So true. People get caught up on sites like this, FOMO sets in, they become enamored with pieces they never really wanted in the first place mainly due to scarcity, the hype dies down, they’re left with a box of wristwatches.

Only buy what you truly love, not what you think you’re supposed to love, or what others love/are buying.
Phil8352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 10:33 PM   #24
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
So many ran to Rolex and other brands that are hyped on social media that the chance for disappointment is great. Take into account price, availability and the AD games that abound and you are setup for a possible disappointment. Some of it also comes from a lack of experience in dealing with luxury goods and the everchanging market. So this guy is moving on, so what, nothing we have not heard before or will hear again. Scores of guys like him can move away from Rolex and you are still not getting a SS Daytona, BLRO or other hot watch from an AD without significant connections or buy history or both. Not trying to be negative but just factual from where I stand.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 10:48 PM   #25
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post
Typical horological loop outlined by Ben Clymer years ago: you start with Rolex then you realize there's a lot more than Rolex and you lose interest in Rolex. Then you go back to Rolex realizing they were making a pretty decent watch.

In short, he'll be back.
Exact. You can say all you want about higher end brands, most of them just aren’t worth it. Unless you are Uber wealthy, you will get entry level high end.

With Rolex, we enjoy full specs VW Golf. Yes they are not the best but very well rounded.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 10:56 PM   #26
EEpro

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Exact. You can say all you want about higher end brands, most of them just aren’t worth it. Unless you are Uber wealthy, you will get entry level high end.

With Rolex, we enjoy full specs VW Golf. Yes they are not the best but very well rounded.

They get on base.
Old 10 January 2024, 11:06 PM   #27
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post

In short, he'll be back.
Yep.

Many of us here have gone through various brands over the years. Seems most of us land right back on Rolex
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 12:21 AM   #28
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Yep.

Many of us here have gone through various brands over the years. Seems most of us land right back on Rolex
Spot on. I've collected Panerai and sold all. I have several IWCs that I still care for, but they get far less wrist time and mostly out of pity. My relationship waxes and wanes with Rolex, but I always come back to them.

The only "new" brand I have collected since building a Rolex collection that has stuck around and I can't see myself ever getting rid of are my Omegas. I think I can confidently say that a Speedmaster and Seamaster will always have a place in my collection.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 12:24 AM   #29
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Spot on. I've collected Panerai and sold all. I have several IWCs that I still care for, but they get far less wrist time and mostly out of pity. My relationship waxes and wanes with Rolex, but I always come back to them.

The only "new" brand I have collected since building a Rolex collection that has stuck around and I can't see myself ever getting rid of are my Omegas. I think I can confidently say that a Speedmaster and Seamaster will always have a place in my collection.

Amen to that brother … Speedy is a classic and part of my permanent collection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 12:34 AM   #30
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

It's a passion, but also a journey.
During this time we try a multitude of watches, and we buy a number of others, some resold, some durable.

Whoever says that Rolex are not the best versatile watches with a tenable value, simply beautiful and well proportioned, with the best bracelets, hyper qualitative down to the micro level, is a liar in total denial.
No matter where you are on your journey, Rolex is Rolex and will remain so.

If you break away from it, you'll come back to it, you'll see! This is called maturity.

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote