The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 January 2024, 08:38 AM   #1
Patekfinder
Banned

Did Vacheron increase prices on the Overseas?

Just looked and MSRP for the standard steel 4500 Overseas in silver, black, and blue dials is $25k. I could have sworn it was $19k last year? Did they go up recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patekfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 10:39 AM   #2
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
Last increase was middle of last year (June 2023 I believe). The previous price for the 4500v was $22,500.
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 11:43 AM   #3
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
That was a pretty stiff increase.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 10:29 PM   #4
arnage
"TRF" Member

the 4500v is also being transitionally replaced by the 4520v (minor differences pertaining to the bracelet taper, minor changes to the rotor, and it's now very marginally thinner). so maybe the adjustment also corresponded to a slightly revised model reference. The change in price did occur before the 4520 was formally released. (and it is odd that there's been very little by way of announcements for the modifications)
arnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 12:32 AM   #5
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
That was a pretty stiff increase.
Yes, stiff increases across their entire line. Anywhere from 8%-14% on all models. The dual time overseas went from $27100 to $30900. The 222 went from $69000 to $74000 to just name a few.
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 12:21 PM   #6
RobHK
"TRF" Member

They are pricing themselves out of popularity again. Maybe that's what they want, most Overseas models available without long waits..
RobHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 09:38 AM   #7
Patekfinder
Banned

Unbelievable. The price increases are absurd. They get just a LITTLE BIT popular in the last 24 months and how do they react? Drastic price increases to take advantage of their new found popularity.

Old 23 January 2024, 04:41 PM   #8
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Well. Do we really feel an Overseas offers less value than a 6119 that’s 5k more expensive? Or a 5212 that’s 12k more? I don’t think so.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 10:01 PM   #9
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
Well. Do we really feel an Overseas offers less value than a 6119 that’s 5k more expensive? Or a 5212 that’s 12k more? I don’t think so.

Yes, 100%.

Old 23 January 2024, 11:19 PM   #10
Bug04
"TRF" Member

I also believe that a VC does offer a comparable content value than a PP, and also has a similar heritage.
Of course the specific comparison should be made at reference level, on a case by case approach, and sometimes it could result better one maison, sometime the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
Bug04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 01:56 AM   #11
mav3rick
"TRF" Member

the overseas will always play 2nd fiddle to the nautilus & royal oak, till they release the 222 in steel...
mav3rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 04:27 AM   #12
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3rick View Post
the overseas will always play 2nd fiddle to the nautilus & royal oak, till they release the 222 in steel...
It will. But that was not the comparison I was making. The 6119 and certainly the 5212 have no better finished movements than the Overseas. They also offer none of the versatility. It’s no wonder that both Pateks can be had significantly below retail while the blue Overseas (not the black and silver) trades close to or over retail still.
Old 24 January 2024, 09:47 AM   #13
Bmats
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

There’s still a wait list for the overseas, probably in part due to the small production, so they’re not doing it wrong (at least as of today). Now JLC…. Different story. I bet their cases are overflowing.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 05:58 PM   #14
RobHK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3rick View Post
It's for sure going to 2nd fiddle also then. The 222 is perhaps in the league of the PP Aqua, kind of ugly beautiful in its own fun way. Even if I'm wrong and everyone loves the watch, the production numbers will be way too limited to make it a watch people know about and crave for. It will be as rare as seeing an FP Journe
RobHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 06:58 PM   #15
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobHK View Post
It's for sure going to 2nd fiddle also then. The 222 is perhaps in the league of the PP Aqua, kind of ugly beautiful in its own fun way. Even if I'm wrong and everyone loves the watch, the production numbers will be way too limited to make it a watch people know about and crave for. It will be as rare as seeing an FP Journe

Have you ever handled a 222? It is one of the most beautiful integrated bracelet watches ever done IMHO, much better than the Aquanaut (which I always thought was way overrated).

The VC boutique had actually offered me a 222, I just couldn’t pull off the yellow gold unfortunately.

If they ever launch it in steel (not sure they will) I’ll buy it in a heartbeat.
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 09:05 PM   #16
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Hope they’ll put in a different movement as well.
Old 24 January 2024, 09:25 PM   #17
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audevache View Post
Have you ever handled a 222? It is one of the most beautiful integrated bracelet watches ever done IMHO, much better than the Aquanaut (which I always thought was way overrated).

The VC boutique had actually offered me a 222, I just couldn’t pull off the yellow gold unfortunately.

If they ever launch it in steel (not sure they will) I’ll buy it in a heartbeat.
No, the proportions are off the bracelet is too wide for the watch and overall sits very awkwardly on the wrist. There's a reason why it wasn't that popular (and still isn't post the re-release).
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 10:46 PM   #18
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage View Post
the 4500v is also being transitionally replaced by the 4520v (minor differences pertaining to the bracelet taper, minor changes to the rotor, and it's now very marginally thinner). so maybe the adjustment also corresponded to a slightly revised model reference. The change in price did occur before the 4520 was formally released. (and it is odd that there's been very little by way of announcements for the modifications)
slightly thinner, but still could be thinner. The biggest regret with buying an Overseas is the sheer size and thickness of the watch, and the bracelet being too chunky and wide. Everyone said that VC was the most underrated and sensible brand of the holy trinity. But boy was I in for a shock when I realised it wore bigger than both my 41mm RO or 41mm 5726 Nautilus.

Nice to see they've improved both aspects of it tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audevache View Post

Aquanauts wear exceptionally comfortably and well. They are uniquely styled and are perfect for so many situations. The 222 is a completely different kind of watch. I've had the pleasure of trying one on. Thing is beautiful but it costs way too much. Over 10% more than a 5811G, and 30% more than a 7118R (which is similar sized to it).
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 11:53 PM   #19
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Agree on the pricing of the 222. They went a bit too far with the price hike during the hype phase.

I personally find that my Overseas DT wears smaller on my wrist than any 41mm RO, which I found too large for me to pull off (for me 39mm is the perfect size for the RO).
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 01:02 AM   #20
wsrobert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekfinder View Post
Yes, 100%.

Your screen name is Patekfinder. Not sure we can lean on you for objective insights here.
wsrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2024, 06:17 AM   #21
Houston77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekfinder View Post
Yes, 100%.

Nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote