The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 24 January 2024, 06:15 AM   #1
myk7000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω & ✠
Patek owners - do you shed Rolex?

I have been mulling over whether I should get an Aquanaut (specifically the 5065A or 5164A), and feel like the only way I can justify the cost is if I do a 1-in-1-out approach.

For certain reasons, the only watch that can be on the chopping block is unfortunately my only Rolex (116520 white daytona), and I am having some trouble deciding whether practically, the aquanaut can simply take the place of the Daytona, or if I'll sorely miss having a Rolex sport watch in the collection.

Curious for you Patek collectors - how have you dealt with this dilemma? Would you substitute a sport Patek for a sport Rolex and be happy? Or is this something that you find is not the right approach?

Let's assume "just have both" is currently off the table :)
myk7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 06:32 AM   #2
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Last year, in an effort to shed, watches, I just didn’t use, and ultimately had stopped caring about that much, I traded for amazing Rolex for one Patek. Which I know where all the time. 100% worth it. It’s a little different than your dilemma, but for me, an aquanaut trumps a Daytona, 10 days out of 10. But then again, while I respect the Daytona, I never caught the “bug.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 06:41 AM   #3
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
I've been debating the same thing. I am on the fence about letting go a platinum day date to add to add a Patek to the collection.
Obviously I'm a huge aquanaut / nautilus fan but those are trading at such a premium I will probably sit that contest out.

The 5226 really caught my eye and I might try to make a hard play for that one, but I have no idea yet how hard that is to get from an AD. I live near Boston so I am a tiny tiny fish in a huge pond so will most likely have to go secondary.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 07:57 AM   #4
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

I would but not for an Aquanaut.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 08:14 AM   #5
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I have a 5164a and its definitely one of my favorites. If I were in a position to sell one of my Daytona's to have the Aquanaut, I would in a minute. Its a much better all around watch for sure and I wear it all the time. That said, I love my Daytona's too. Ideally, make it work to keep both but if you must, the deal is worthwhile in my eyes.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 09:21 AM   #6
HMHM
"TRF" Member

It is always a tricky question. I like both, have both. But ultimately if I had to pick one, I would probably keep the Daytona. At the end of the day, the Daytona is an icon of a wristwatch on its own. The Aquanaut is amazing too, but I don’t think it’s legacy will be one that is as significant as the Daytona. And I would make the same decision for both the Aquanaut and the Nautilus :)
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 09:42 AM   #7
Bmats
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

I got a 5158 and it’s still my favorite watch. But I still find myself wearing my submariner and BLRO all the time. Does the aquanaut get more wrist time? Yes. But there’s still something really satisfying about a Rolex sports watch, and it has dashed any thoughts of parting with them.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 10:22 AM   #8
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Aquanaut and Daytona are so different. I cannot trade one for the other unless I no longer cared for one of them at all. Otherwise, I would figure out how to own both at some point.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 10:49 AM   #9
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5212a
That is a tough one. I purchased a 5167a at the peak of their value last year. Very dumb decision… I ended up trading a couple of other watches that were also overvalued and contributed to the trade/purchase. Ultimately, I really liked the 5167a however, I ended up selling it as the value was plummeting and I just didn’t feel that the watch commanded it’s market value. Don’t get me wrong, it is phenomenal and I wish I still had one but I think this is one I would only feel comfortable purchasing at retail or perhaps within a $10,000 margin above.

The 5164 may be a different story and I've also had my eye on purchasing or trading for one on the secondary. Oddly enough, my white gold Daytona on OF would probably be the one to go towards the purchase. The white Daytona is so iconic. Did you purchase from an AD? If so, I'd have a hard time letting it go as it is unlikely you would have another chance to purchase one. Good luck and keep us posted!
Rolex GMT Master II “Pepsi” (126710BLRO), Rolex Daytona (116519), Rolex Explorer (214270), Rolex SkyDweller mint green (336934), Rolex Submariner (124060), Rolex Submariner “Hulk” (116610LV), Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, Patek Philippe Calatrava (6119r), Patek Philippe Weekly Calendar (5212a), Vacheron Constantine Overseas Black (4500V)
Aboutderntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 12:19 PM   #10
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Yes, I had several Rolex but now down to one beat up Explorer. Primarily have gone to Patek (5168/5164/5170/5711) and very glad I have done so.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 12:41 PM   #11
agsstructures

I think it’s nice to have one Rolex. I have a 3940 that is currently being serviced, it’s a 3 month lead time and my DD36 is a nice backup. As much as I love Patek, Rolex makes a tank of a watch.
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 03:19 PM   #12
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Rolex is just such a nice daily. Like others have said, it’s a tank.

Patek Aquanaut is one of the few that could be an easy daily. Despite how under the radar it is and how comfortable it is, I’m not sure I would feel comfortable wearing a Patek as a daily.

I don’t see any issue with trading Rolex for Patek, but if it’s your only Rolex I wouldn’t do it.
Rollieo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 03:36 PM   #13
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Rolex is just such a nice daily. Like others have said, it’s a tank.

Patek Aquanaut is one of the few that could be an easy daily. Despite how under the radar it is and how comfortable it is, I’m not sure I would feel comfortable wearing a Patek as a daily.

I don’t see any issue with trading Rolex for Patek, but if it’s your only Rolex I wouldn’t do it.
its a great daily watch - very comfortable go get it. is it worth 26k retail ?probably not - imo a 15k watch but what can you do - I bought it at retail I guess it's fine
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 04:24 PM   #14
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

Patek owners - do you shed Rolex?

Do it. I daily 5065 for half a decade. It’s ultra light and very easy to live with.
JettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 04:35 PM   #15
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Keep the daytona, save and add the aquanaut down the line.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 05:47 PM   #16
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Get rid of the rolexes. I traded a couple just this month and topped up to get a Moser. Is it a wise decision financially? probably not, but wear what you love.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 09:01 PM   #17
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
I've been debating the same thing. I am on the fence about letting go a platinum day date to add to add a Patek to the collection.
Obviously I'm a huge aquanaut / nautilus fan but those are trading at such a premium I will probably sit that contest out.

The 5226 really caught my eye and I might try to make a hard play for that one, but I have no idea yet how hard that is to get from an AD. I live near Boston so I am a tiny tiny fish in a huge pond so will most likely have to go secondary.
I recently went through this exercise and sold my Rolex Sub (126610LV) to help fund a 5226. I tried working with a AD to buy a 5167 but after 4 years to no avail, I ended up buying a pristine 5226 pre-owned example from European Watch Company out of Boston. Since you live near Boston, they have a 5226 in stock so you can see the watch in person if you wish.

PM me if you have any questions.
mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 09:02 PM   #18
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: one I'm wearing
get the 5065 and don't look back
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 09:22 PM   #19
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
Keep the daytona, save and add the aquanaut down the line.
This is the best advice you're gonna get. Generally speaking, when you trade, you lose, unless you're trading your Daytona for a watch that sells at or below retail (like almost any Lange).
Also remember that boredom is the enemy of the collector.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 11:12 PM   #20
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
The value of the Daytona at best is 20k but probably less. Without understanding what the PP costs I would believe you would still need to add significant funds. Keep what you have and just go on with it.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 11:24 PM   #21
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Going to Patek and never going back to Rolex. I have 1 Rolex and it'll be with me forever, but it'll be my last as well. You can't pay that much money on a machine made time piece. As well the fact that if you own 1 Rolex, you basically own any Rolex. They are all sports watches that are relatively same size and bracelets. Patek you have all kinds of complications and each watch is significantly more special, made with care than any Rolex.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 11:42 PM   #22
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
. ……………….. Rolex. They are all sports watches that are relatively same size and bracelets.

Patek you have all kinds of complications and each watch is significantly more special, made with care than any Rolex.
Exactly so.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 12:10 AM   #23
dmb359

I typically now sell one or more watches when I get a new one, and I rarely miss the ones I've sold. I don't think an aquanaut would take the place of a daytona, as they are quite different, but I certainly would rather have the Patek. You may miss the Daytona, but if thats your only option of something to sell, then I would do it.
Old 25 January 2024, 12:17 AM   #24
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I would not sell the Daytona unless you needed the money for the patek. I own a 5167 and DaytonaC and very much enjoy having both in my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 12:34 AM   #25
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myk7000 View Post
I have been mulling over whether I should get an Aquanaut (specifically the 5065A or 5164A), and feel like the only way I can justify the cost is if I do a 1-in-1-out approach.

For certain reasons, the only watch that can be on the chopping block is unfortunately my only Rolex (116520 white daytona), and I am having some trouble deciding whether practically, the aquanaut can simply take the place of the Daytona, or if I'll sorely miss having a Rolex sport watch in the collection.

Curious for you Patek collectors - how have you dealt with this dilemma? Would you substitute a sport Patek for a sport Rolex and be happy? Or is this something that you find is not the right approach?

Let's assume "just have both" is currently off the table :)
I just went through this exercise to purchase my 5226 and used one of my timepieces in my collection to offset the cost. I have a 116500LN Polar which was under consideration but kept it and sold my Sub 126610LV instead. My decision on which timepiece to sell was based on the following:
  1. Wearability - I wear the Daytona but rarely wore the Sub given its heft and size. I have a wrist that leans to the smaller side.
  2. Collectibility - The Daytona was a MUCH harder watch to obtain than the Sub (Starbucks) and is much more desirable.
  3. Redundancy - I have an alternate Sub to wear being a 1963 Sub 5513 with a gilt underline dial and pointed crown guard case. This watch wears like a 39mm timepiece.
  4. Passion - Given the rarity, aesthetics, wearability, etc. I still enjoy Daytona when it’s on my wrist.

I would suggest taking a hard look at your current collection and see if there is an alternate candidate to sell; however, if the watch to sell is the Daytona (and it does blow up your skirt), I’d sell it and move ahead as planned!
mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 01:06 AM   #26
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

i am a big fan of the 5164A and eyeing it for almost a year or so .

Knowing that I cannot get it from the AD every despite having two pateks already makes me think twice before pulling the trigger .

Would I trade my daytona ? No . The daytona is one hell of a watch and for me its far superior than any other rolex in terms of wearability and also being such an iconic watch .

at the end of the day it all comes to you if you lost the connection or not ? also to what you already have in your collection as an alternative.
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 04:08 AM   #27
vliberman
"TRF" Member

you absolutely will miss Rolex in your collection.... the rest is up to u
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 04:15 AM   #28
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

No way. Trading you best most expensive watch for a new best most expensive watch will only leave you with regret.

Sell a few of your lesser watches, or just save a little longer
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 05:15 AM   #29
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

I don't have a giant collection, and I just started collecting Pateks. But thus far, I have not.

Conceivably though, I might. For example, I would very likely stop wearing my YG DD if I acquired a precious metal complicated Nautilus, so I'd likely part with the DD.

But acquiring more Pateks on leather really wouldn't impact when I would wear my other Rolexes. I don't see parting with my 116610 as it's my wear anywhere/do anything watch. And I don't see parting with my meteorite GMT.
Watchdoyouwant? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2024, 04:21 PM   #30
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
Going to Patek and never going back to Rolex. I have 1 Rolex and it'll be with me forever, but it'll be my last as well. You can't pay that much money on a machine made time piece. As well the fact that if you own 1 Rolex, you basically own any Rolex. They are all sports watches that are relatively same size and bracelets. Patek you have all kinds of complications and each watch is significantly more special, made with care than any Rolex.

I have a 36mm Explorer, a OF Daytona, and a BLNR. I don’t think they are relatively the same.
Rollieo is online now   Reply With Quote